Do we have anything more important to do?

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Turkey "recalling its US ambassador over Armenia dispute"
2007-10-11 14:13:00.0

Ankara (dpa) - Turkey Thursday was reportedly recalling its ambassador from Washington over a US resolution that says the killing of more than a million Armenians by the Ottoman Empire early in the 20th century was "genocide."
Ambassador Nabi Sensoy had been ordered back to Ankara, Turkish mnedia reports said.

Turkish President Abdullah Gul earlier sharply denounced the resolution passed by the Democrat-controlled House Committee on Foreign Affairs.

It voted 27 to 21 Wednesday to call the killing of 1.5 million Armenians from 1915 to 1923 "genocide."

Copyright 2007 dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH

I know. Democrat controlled. A resolution? A resolution?? Instead of concentrating on the issues of the day, we're passing a resolution about what happened in the early twentieth century in a foreign country and infuriating the Turks, knowing damn well we would? Holy Christmas.

Reaction score
BoP,
Start a website asking the American people to pass a resolution saying "Our Elected Officials Suck."

A simple majority would get it passed.

I'd be happy to sign it.

"WILLIAM H THRILLY 7TH"

copy and paste that in

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BoP,
Start a website asking the American people to pass a resolution saying "Our Elected Officials Suck."

A simple majority would get it passed.

I'd be happy to sign it.

"WILLIAM H THRILLY 7TH"

copy and paste that in

Billy, I'm with you here, a hundred percent. What idiots!!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
So the real question here is why did they do it? It comes as no surprise whatsoever that the Turks would be outraged. If I know that, then surely the committee members do. What's the point of advancing, voting on and publicizing a resolution to call it genocide? Who does that help or hinder? What policy or agenda does having that resolved advance? There must be something and that's what I'd be interested in knowing.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm -
Seventy per cent of U.S. air cargo destined for Iraq flows through Turkey as does about a third of fuel used by the military in Iraq, Gates said Wednesday.

"Access to air fields and to the roads and so on in Turkey would very much be put at risk if this resolution passes and Turkey reacts as strongly as we believe they will," Gates said.

I'm not opposed to condemning genocide, btw - it's just there is a political motivation not just that these folk finally woke up and said, "My God! We have a moral obligation to condemn the Turks for their actions in 1915"

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, why not just wait until it's forgotten altogether? No reason for anyone to have to remember these peccadilloes.

How long after the fact was the Vietnam War Memorial installed? Waste of time and money?

Or is it just that Armenians aren't newsworthy enough?

It kind of reminds me of the line about people only worrying about endangered species if they're cute.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it's been an ongoing struggle for justice. there's no statute of limitations on mass murder.

as for IG's asinine comment, mature minds can address multiple concerns simultaneously.

had germany never been condemned for the holocaust, had justice not been served, it would be equally inhuman to say, "it's no big deal; that was a long time ago."

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
how dare we condemn the murder of 1.5 million people?

I'm so glad you said that. So Turkey's secular stance - something I thought you would expressly appreciate despite her current national representative leaning; and her intelligence-sharing government is to be undermined by some obtrusive language out of left field from a supposed ally?

O.K.

Please proceed with your condemnation.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Uh, *we're* stupid? Maybe.

But Turkey's the one who is recalling its ambassador. They seem a little petty to me, as well.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not making myself clear, and I'm sorry. I don't disagree that it's worth condemning. But I find it very interesting that the Democrats, who've had chances to do this for years and years (I remember reading about this topic in the LA Times back in the early 80s) are finally able to get this on the table.

I guess I'm cynical because it seems to me that this is more about a tactic for stopping the war in Iraq (which I'd love to see, btw - like tomorrow) than it is about how these representatives really feel about the genocide in Armenia in 1915.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
it's been an ongoing struggle for justice. there's no statute of limitations on mass murder.

as for IG's asinine comment, mature minds can address multiple concerns simultaneously.

had germany never been condemned for the holocaust, had justice not been served, it would be equally inhuman to say, "it's no big deal; that was a long time ago."

No one's saying that genocide is a good thing, William. I certainly condemn it, whether or not it happened years ago or in the present. It's still not a pressing concern for something that happened in 1915 where the players in the atrocious acts are mostly dead as it is, unless you think that they can hear your condemnations from the lowest pits of Hell.

It's also not really a good PR strategy if you're trying to stay friends with the country where the mass murder occurred, either.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm -

I'm not opposed to condemning genocide, btw - it's just there is a political motivation not just that these folk finally woke up and said, "My God! We have a moral obligation to condemn the Turks for their actions in 1915"

I think I know where you're going with this, Dawno. It's an attempt by the Democrats to undermine the war effort. But in the broader picture, the entire, pathetic posturing is symptomatic of a government that does not represent the best interests of its country. And I think both sides of the aisle should finally recognize that.

Edit: since I posted this, you've made yourself clear and yes, I think the motive is transparent and appalling.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But Turkey's the one who is recalling its ambassador. They seem a little petty to me, as well.

And perhaps it's a telling reaction.

Maybe the resolution is a political machination, and reprehensible in its motive. That's one issue -- the main one in this thread.

Still, it doesn't mean that a million and a half Armenians aren't worth remembering. Especially if it helps prevent another million and a half from being exterminated now or in the future.

Last edited:

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And telling. Think they'd do it again?

Maybe the resolution is a political machination. Doesn't mean that a million and a half Armenians aren't worth remembering. Especially if it helps prevent another million and a half from being exterminated now or in the future.

O.K. Poet. Turkey recalled its ambassador.

That's no little thing.

So let's take that nation to task, and a generation where maybe a hundred - being generous here - actually remember the extermination.

Is it worth putting our young military men and women at risk because the Turks are so mad at us that they might "forget" or "overlook" what might be important information? Is it worth alienating an important ally over a what transpired near a hundred years ago?

It was a lousy thing for our government to do.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, BoP -- and it says a lot about Turkey.

You'll note as well that, in that post, I separated the question of the resolution's motivation and timing from that of whether the point is one worth making.

Those soldiers' lives have been in danger for a long time, and for a multitude of reasons that the political lions here have been discussing at great length across several threads.

Unwise and cynical? Perhaps, and I won't defend that.

Valid point? I think so. Too late? Never.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
within the last 15 years, russia, greece, belgium, lebanon, italy and france have all recognized the armenian genocide.

both bill clinton and george bush instead traded political expediency for doing the right thing.

it's shameful.

Reaction score
I understand both sides of this issue. Of course things should be condemned. But why now and why that? There are a million of these. It's just ridiculous IMO.

Why don't we get a few historians in a room for like four hours and have them list every atrocity, mass murder and bad thing any country or group of people ever did to any other group or country and then we can set aside an entire week and call it "Atrocity Week" in Congress.

And they can pass resolutions condemning every single atrocity in human recorded history in one full swoop and then it will all be on the record and they won't have to worry about it anymore.

They can do it right after "Shark Week."

But what do I know.

:Shrug:

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
as an aside, someone really should note the date and time that i agreed with jimmy carter and BoP and IG took george w. shrub's side.