Evolution Strikes Again

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Tracing the evolution of English verbs over 1,200 years -- from the Old English of "Beowulf" to the modern English of "The Princess Diaries" -- researchers have found that the majority of irregular verbs are going the way of Grendel, falling to the linguistic equivalent of natural selection.
Darwin's contemporaries in linguistics, however, were not evolutionists and adhered to quasi-mystical ideas to explain language development.
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-verbs11oct11,1,3635612.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Isn't this a grammar for grasshoppers thread? Hey wake up mod! Move this thread to OP where it belongs. I can't be troubled tonight trying to consummate a noun while I'm busy adverbing verbs.

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
new research ain't a current event?

we might as well bring back ain't while we're on the subject.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
What, for instance? I was under the impression that this forum was the place to post things there was no necessity to have a relief from.

caw

This is the Politics and Current Events forum. The original post is a "current event" in that it is current news.

As for the rest of my comment, I'm not sure why you felt compelled to react to it - does it really matter? After all the heated debate about Theocracy and is a fetus a parasite...well, I thought it was a relief to bring up something rather different.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is the Politics and Current Events forum. The original post is a "current event" in that it is current news.

As for the rest of my comment, I'm not sure why you felt compelled to react to it - does it really matter? After all the heated debate about Theocracy and is a fetus a parasite...well, I thought it was a relief to bring up something rather different.

Because PC & E should stand for petulant, contentious and exasperating?

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score

We're trying to conform to the room we're in, and get argumentative.