William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Emerging Edwards Scandal?The MSM really doesn't want to report it.

By Mickey Kaus
Updated Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2007, at 3:38 PM ET

The National Enquirer claims to have enough of the Edwards cheating-on-cancer-stricken-wife story, including "bombshell" e-mails, to run with. ... P.S.: They "met in a bar." Sounds familiar! ... You read it here first. ... OK, you read it on HuffPo first. ... HuffPo 's Sam Stein now has lots of background material. ... P.P.S.: When I ask friends they split roughly 50/50 on whether, if true, this is a legitimate story. The MSM seems to be strenuously trying to not report it. Given how Edwards' campaign has tacitly and effectively used Elizabeth and her struggle, etc., I think if true it's scummy behavior on his part that Democratic primary voters should know about. His campaign is denying it. ...

http://www.slate.com/id/2175509/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/10/10/scrubbed-edwards-filmmak_n_67868.html

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/john_edwards_cheating_scandal/celebrity/64271

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh no. It was a bit of a brain teaser identifying with them forging ahead with the campaign, knowing that her time is terribly limited, but okay. I can see where someone could reach that decision.

But if he's cheating on his dying wife during a Presidential run? It'd be funny if it weren't so sick.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Please. The National Enquirer is a gossip paper. Their job is to spread dirt (however untrue or not), just to make money. I don't believe a word of it.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
The MSM seems to be strenuously trying to not report it.

Ugh, more conspiracy nonsense. Nice spin, Kaus.

While past coverage of certain scandals would suggest otherwise, you'd think that the responsible thing for most newspapers to do would be to move slowly on this sort of deal and get as much confirmation as possible. After all, consider that the Idaho Statesman only ran with the Larry Craig stuff after the news of the arrest became public knowledge.

Meanwhile, tho, I'll concur with the other opinions. If he IS cheating on his wife while she's got cancer and doing the whole Presidential campaign thing, it confirms he's just as sleazy as I always pegged him to be.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Please. The National Enquirer is a gossip paper. Their job is to spread dirt (however untrue or not), just to make money. I don't believe a word of it.

They're not always wrong. I'll just say that much.

My only objection is to Kaus's spin, as he's clearly seeing too many black helicopters.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's true or not--he'd be damned stupid if it is. But the only e-mails the article refers to are from the alleged other woman to her friend. So, at the moment, there's no evidence, just an as-yet unsubstantiated claim one person made to another.

I mean, heck--I could post right here, in public, that I'm currently involved in a four-way with George W. Bush, George Stephanopolous, and George Clooney,* but that doesn't make it true.

*The technical term for this is a "georgy."

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's always an annoying moment when you see legitimate confirmation of something you first saw on the cover of The Enquirer while in the grocery checkout.

Ah, yes. Hate that. :)

However, I have to say that IG has a point. I'm not going to take an article from a paper that routinely features stories about Elvis sightings and whatnot (or is that the Weekly World Whatever?) seriously.

I don't like Edwards at all, but I will reserve judgement on this one until I hear about it from a more legitimate source.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
they broke the jesse jackson "love child" story, which proved correct.

i'm reserving judgment as well. but it's interesting fodder.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
they broke the jesse jackson "love child" story, which proved correct.

i'm reserving judgment as well. but it's interesting fodder.

Much as I dislike Edwards -and his wife for that matter- I'm gonna hope this one isn't true. That's pretty scuzzy behavior, imo.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i hope not, too, because it would be a horrible embarrassment to her.

however, if you check the huffpo link in the OP, it's a strange story, even without the porking angle.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Edwards would be the stupidest person in the world if it were true. And sly he may be, stupid he is not.

But the National Enquirer? Really.

But the only e-mails the article refers to are from the alleged other woman to her friend.

Sure, I wrote to my friends admitting I had relationship with Keira Knightley, and Charlize Theron, at the same time. Call the National Enquirer now!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i hope not, too, because it would be a horrible embarrassment to her.

however, if you check the huffpo link in the OP, it's a strange story, even without the porking angle.

Hmmm. That is really weird.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
I'd be more interested to see how he had the time to go to a bar, AND NOT GET RECOGNIZED, to meet someone while on campaign for President.

And despite being a dirt rag, the Enquirer has broken a number of stories before more legit press.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
And despite being a dirt rag, the Enquirer has broken a number of stories before more legit press.

Yes, but . . . their percentage of correctness is far lower, and they really don't care. They're willing to cut corners and take chances on unsubstantiated and downright doubtful information, just to get a headline. That's their success model. People rarely think it's worthwhile to bother with them when they're wrong, as they often are, although they have also been sued a few times, successfully, for libel.

caw

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Sure. Enquirer. But others were on it, just trying to be more careful and responsible about vetting and confirming information. As I said, the Enquirer is less bothered by such trivia, and ran with the story as soon as they had a sniff of it. Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then. I seem to recall seeing recent front page news there about the pending divorce of George W. and Laura Bush.

caw

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe the Edwards have an open marriage.

In that case, it really wouldn't be anyone's business but theirs.

In fact, even if they don't, it really wouldn't be anyone's business but theirs.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
I"m still trying to picture how a candidate for President meets someone at a bar.

and not get noticed.

It was Vegas. And whatever happens in Vegas is supposed to stay in Vegas.

When people start talking, it screws things up for everybody.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I'm definitely going to have to reevaluate my support for John. How can I reasonably ignore such proof as this:

Smith also has a too-broad denial from Edwards: "The story is false." (As every press secretary knows, that could logically mean there's nothing to the story; it could mean an affair didn't start "18 months ago" but rather 8 months ago)

and this:

You'd think a candidate who knew this scandal was coming down the pike would have switched to public funding or something. Oh, right. ...

and:

In one bombshell e-mail message provided to The NATIONAL ENQUIRER, the woman confesses to a friend she's "in love with John," but it's "difficult because he is married and has kids."

In another e-mail, she writes: "Last night and this a.m., he actually has amazed me. He is a great man. My heart is loud and my head is silenced."

The ENQUIRER made exhaustive but unsuccessful attempts to reach the woman for comment regarding this article but she would not return phone calls or emails or come to the door of the house where she is staying.

If this turns out to be more than a thirdhand e-mail soap opera, I really might change my mind about Edwards. Not for sleeping with another woman, but for sleeping with a woman who could type "My heart is loud and my head is silenced" with sincerity.