William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
(*except palestinian territories, unfortunately)

Among the most striking trends in predominantly Muslim nations is the continuing decline in the number saying that suicide bombing and other forms of violence against civilians are justifiable in the defense of Islam; a recent Pew Global Attitudes survey finds that in Lebanon, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Indonesia, the proportion of Muslims who view suicide bombing and other attacks against civilians as being often or sometimes justified has declined by half or more over the past five years. Wide majorities say such attacks are, at most, rarely acceptable. However, this is decidedly not the case in the Palestinian territories. Fully 70% of Palestinians believe that suicide bombings against civilians can be often or sometimes justified, a position starkly at odds with Muslims in other Middle Eastern, Asian, and African nations.

377.gif

http://pewresearch.org/databank/dailynumber/?NumberID=377

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So what?

What did you you expect?

Oh I get it. All your ugly pictures of Islamic protesters must have had an impact. Just the occupied, no nation, buildozed at will Palestinians don't see the light.

Right on, Mr. Haskins. Since soapbox has been your favorite word of the day. . .please straddle yours carefully during the course of yet another Islamic thread. . . your favorite little thread starter and oddly, your favorite topic.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately, a whopping 87% of Muslims believe that it is okay to use a handicapped parking space if you are dropping off a car bomb.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
So what?

What did you you expect?

Oh I get it. All your ugly pictures of Islamic protesters must have had an impact. Just the occupied, no nation, buildozed at will Palestinians don't see the light.

Right on, Mr. Haskins. Since soapbox has been your favorite word of the day. . .please straddle yours carefully during the course of yet another Islamic thread. . . your favorite little thread starter and oddly, your favorite topic.

you know what, BoP? i simply posted a link showing that muslims are moderating their stance on suicide bombings. i can't imagine anyone would think that's a bad thing.

so, i won't dignify your perverse attack here.

except to say that it obviously hurts you somewhere in your heart that muslims are incrementally becoming less tolerant of their own murdering innocent civilians.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
This is good news, it represents a loss in the terrorist's campaign for support of the wider Muslim community. If the trend continues and support errodes from the extremists, their recruiting reservoir dries up.

There will always be extremists, but it sure would be nice to see their numbers dropping.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I guess they've finally figured out that no matter how many times you splatter Bright Red Fresh Blood on your walls, it always turns brown the next day.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
you know what, BoP? i simply posted a link showing that muslims are moderating their stance on suicide bombings. i can't imagine anyone would think that's a bad thing.

so, i won't dignify your perverse attack here.

except to say that it obviously hurts you somewhere in your heart that muslims are incrementally becoming less tolerant of their own murdering innocent civilians.

I have always maintained that suicide bombers are members of a cult and that their behavior is a form of madness. As such, I didn't expect the madness to last, particularly in regions and countries where the people were not provoked to the extreme.

There was nothing perverse or otherwise about my post. It was tongue in cheek and as you do post a lot about Muslims, worth mentioning. But as my hands are tied because you pretty much get to say whatever you want and I don't: I'll leave it at that.

Reaction score
I'm happy that the moderate Muslim world is having an impact on the non-moderate Muslim world.

It gives me hope that a nuclear middle east can and will be avoided.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I find this quote from the same report (OP link) interesting:

The decreasing acceptance of extremism among Muslims also is reflected in declining support for Osama bin Laden. Since 2003, Muslim confidence in bin Laden to do the right thing in world affairs has fallen; in Jordan, just 20% express a lot or some confidence in bin Laden, down from 56% four years ago. Yet confidence in bin Laden in the Palestinian territories, while lower than it was in 2003, remains relatively high (57%).

Let's hope that the 'declining support' trend continues.

JJ

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i think the reason this pisses off people like BoP is

a) it illustrates that, even if one assumes that the actual attackers are a cult, within the past five years, they enjoyed incredible popular support (which undermines the "marginal behavior" excuse); and

b) the lower numbers fly in the face of those who like to say that the US being tough on terrorism is "creating more terrorists" and more support for terrorism. what it indicates, instead, is that muslims are waking up to the fact that these assholes are playing a large part in their misery.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i think the reason this pisses off people like BoP is

a) it illustrates that, even if one assumes that the actual attackers are a cult, within the past five years, they enjoyed incredible popular support (which undermines the "marginal behavior" excuse); and

b) the lower numbers fly in the face of those who like to say that the US being tough on terrorism is "creating more terrorists" and more support for terrorism. what it indicates, instead, is that muslims are waking up to the fact that these assholes are playing a large part in their misery.

Where is Saudi Arabia on your list? And Kuwait? Morocco? Egypt? The Sudan? Either they don't know or. . . well, they just don't know.

Regardless, as I said, it's a cult. Hatred and humiliation did not change any numbers. Kiliing civilians didn't change the numbers. And it may well have been the effort of millions that tried very hard to diminish the hateful rhetoric toward Muslims that made a difference.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
And it may well have been the effort of millions that tried very hard to diminish the hateful rhetoric toward Muslims that made a difference.

which was the point of my post, for which i was rewarded by you with accusations of racism.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I have always maintained that suicide bombers are members of a cult and that their behavior is a form of madness. As such, I didn't expect the madness to last, particularly in regions and countries where the people were not provoked to the extreme.

When 34% of the people in Lebanon, and 32% of the people in Nigeria, and 21% of the folks in Kuwait still think suicide bombing is a fine, upstanding sporting tradition, I am not particularly comforted. And though you may think it makes it better by calling them a cult, it seems to me that's a pretty goddamned big cult.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
yeah the "cult" thing is tiresome. typically, she'd go for the "lone wolf" theory, but it's so fucking laughable that even she knows that wouldn't fly.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
When 34% of the people in Lebanon, and 32% of the people in Nigeria, and 21% of the folks in Kuwait still think suicide bombing is a fine, upstanding sporting tradition, I am not particularly comforted. And though you may think it makes it better by calling them a cult, it seems to me that's a pretty goddamned big cult.
*nods head in agreement*

Big cult. Like Mac users.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
which was the point of my post, for which i was rewarded by you with accusations of racism.

Oh. O.K. You're commending all the people who did everything they could to diminish hateful rhetoric toward Muslims, even those westerners that reached out and understood that the cultural chasm was vast, but still eschewed hate and ridicule and violence. As long as you're commending that, we're on the same page.

But you know, it just doesn't seem like it with um, rationales like this:

the lower numbers fly in the face of those who like to say that the US being tough on terrorism is "creating more terrorists" and more support for terrorism. what it indicates, instead, is that muslims are waking up to the fact that these assholes are playing a large part in their misery.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
tell you what. you think what you want to.

your position is clear. so long as muslims are fanatically anti-western, even to the point of murder, you can turn those lemons into lemonade.

but when news like this comes along, it pisses you off, because you have been brainwashed into believing radical islam is righteous, even if violent.

you wasted no time yesterday attempting to discredit hirsi ali, even though she is a brave advocate for the millions of women dehumanized by fundamentalist islam (a cause - feminism - which you've been downright rabid about in the past).

but because she is critical of the poor "noble savages" you constantly contort to defend, you went after her.

i have nothing really left to say to you on this subject.

<this line edited by forum moderator>

Last edited by a moderator:

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Get some rest, William.