Theocratic Failure

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
can someone tap the sokalophone?

the needle's apparently stuck again.

Hey, I didn't invent reality. The needle is stuck in the real world where Theocratic regimes, both failed and successful, have been pretty nasty lately.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
please, uncle sokal, tell us more about cultural negation.

When I was a boy, Science was the promise of the Future. Indeed in those far-off days we often thought in Capital Letters.

Now we can learn every day and in every part of the media...and right here thanks to your industious work of cultural negation, that there is really nothing good about it. It resembles those elaborate forms of thought that we know (and we know this because we are told this millions of times) only that part of humanity that deserves our scorn would ever seriously indulge in. It's worse than just bad and deviant, it is fluff, nonsense, pure gas. Nothing at all.

And look at this Haha, Haskins, I used the term "cultural negation" to describe your diligent task of holding everything outside of some narrow region of which you approve (and I have no idea what that might be)
up to endless rather nasty mockery. To what end? What cultural machinery requires that you do this over and over and over?

It's the machinery of cultural negation, the steady, endless, pointless eradication of the assumptions of cultural value in any human action that falls outside of whatever it is that you think people ought to be doing.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
a scathing indictment, sir, beautifully-wrought and, yet, ultimately useless—save for any nodding along by other readers that you will never even see in order to appreciate their moral support.

you mention my realm of approval as a narrow sphere and yet you admit you have no idea what it is, which seems to me insufficient grounds by which to measure it.

alas, you don't know me... only a caricature of me you have created in your own mind.

forunately, i am immune to ridicule and so invite it. but there have to be far more noble pursuits for you to engage.

it's (literally) beneath you to stoop in order to conquer.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
a scathing indictment, sir, beautifully-wrought and, yet, ultimately useless—save for any nodding along by other readers that you will never even see in order to appreciate their moral support.

you mention my realm of approval as a narrow sphere and yet you admit you have no idea what it is, which seems to me insufficient grounds by which to measure it.

alas, you don't know me... only a caricature of me you have created in your own mind.

forunately, i am immune to ridicule and so invite it. but there have to be far more noble pursuits for you to engage.

it's (literally) beneath you to stoop in order to conquer.

You asked me to enlarge on a topic and I did. It seems only fair that you should come out of your ridicule-proof shell and make some note in passing as to what it is you think people ought to be doing since they seem to fail you so badly every day. Surely your bile has some region from whence it is distilled. What is it? What is eating you?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
o my o my
what a wretched life
i was born on the day
that my poor mother died