Ineffective Democratic Congress

to what do you attribute the apparent ineffectiveness of the democratic congress?

• Total voters

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
from horrid poll numbers to constant outrage in the blogosphere from the iraq withdrawal and pro-impeachment crowd, few can argue that the democratic majority hasn't been pretty much a bust for party loyalists.

while some claim that their mathematical majority isn't large enough to actively pursue the agenda of the leftier elements of the base, others have pointed to more sinister reasons for their ineffectiveness.

to what do you attribute the apparent ineffectiveness of the democratic congress?

**visual reference for option 6:

Ted_Kennedy.jpg

Last edited:

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Weak leadership, Blue Dogs, DLC hacks, and a Republican minority in the Senate that filibusters most of the really good bills.

They have been doing their jobs investigating things, passing a few good bills, but on the Iraq War, they've admittedly been disappointing.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Weak leadership, Blue Dogs, DLC hacks...

interesting that you selected "keeping their powder dry for 08" when the very elements of the dems' 'big tent' you disparage above are the very ones who will propel the next prez into the white house.

i suppose once that's secured, they'll look leftward?

bonus points if you could name a few of these "really good bills" they've gotten passed.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
interesting that you selected "keeping their powder dry for 08" when the very elements of the dems' 'big tent' you disparage above are the very ones who will propel the next prez into the white house.

i suppose once that's secured, they'll look leftward?

Some of the Blue Dogs are going to be facing serious primary challenges from left field. You'd better believe that they'd better start worrying about their job security and start acting like real Democrats. I can't fault the Senate Dems too much because of the numbers, but the House has no such excuses.

bonus points if you could name a few of these "really good bills" they've gotten passed.

College Cost Reduction Act (now signed into law), the minimum wage (which they snuck into the May Iraq supplemental, still "eh", but something), and SCHIP (which they will work to override the presidential veto at the end of the month).

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
What would you have expected, with such small majorities and a Republican in the White House? I'm content with them putting the brakes on the Bush Administration agenda. Anything more than that was unrealistic. They do need to find a replacement for Harry Reid as Senate Majority Leader.

There certainly was never any possibility that they could force a withdraw from Iraq even if they wanted to (the Republicans in the Senate would never have allowed that to come to a vote), nor was impeachment a possibility (though if the Democrats win the presidency in 2008, I bet there will be a lot of document shredding going on between November 2008 and January 2009).

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
bless their little hearts. maybe if they can win the white house, all 100 senate seats and all 435 house seats, they can get something done.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
  1. Lack of a cohesive description of just what a Democrat is, other than simply not a Republican.
  2. Weak leadership, which worsens #1

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
bless their little hearts. maybe if they can win the white house, all 100 senate seats and all 435 house seats, they can get something done.
I'm not entirely sure about that. Sometimes they remind me of the famous Monty Python "Twit Olympics" skit. (I can't find the link, but it's out there on YouTube somewhere.)

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
  1. Lack of a cohesive description of just what a Democrat is, other than simply not a Republican.
  2. Weak leadership, which worsens #1

This explains it better than I ever could:

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion?pid=138042

"It's back to the traditional Democratic Party, which was founded on the health of the working person," Webb told me earlier this fall. In her victory speech this morning, McCaskill highlighted the same theme: "Once again," she said, "the Democratic Party has claimed Harry Truman's Senate seat for the working people of Missouri."

For the working people. It's a sequence of words Democrats have continued to mouth, but it's been a long time since anybody living in anything smaller than a McMansion had much call to believe it.

Truly championing the working class--and winning these folks' votes --means plunging in among them. That is what national Democrats are afraid to do. It's what John Kerry had in mind early in 2004, when he sniffed about how "everybody always makes the mistake of looking South" for Democratic votes. Despite forty years of steady economic growth in the region, the South still has more poor, struggling and badly educated Americans--black and white--than anywhere else in the country.

The Blue Dogs are not real Democrats in that they don't stand for the working people. Neither do the DLC. Those are the corporate-friendly Dems.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
in the land of the elephants
and the asses,
you're what they call
the 'unwashed masses'.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
nobody's buying the 'cheney death threats' angle?

that's a shame.

i laughed so hard i cried when reading that.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Largely Choice #5. The Democrats have really narrow majorities in Congress, and new leadership (not all of which is functioning well, apologies to Tip O'Neill, rest his soul). Republicans can use, and have used, the threat of filibuster, that thing they so reviled a year or two ago, to block legislation. And, of course, the POTUS is one of them. So Dems have, with a few exceptions, been placed in the situation where they need to use political theater to make their points. They have had mixed success, the SCHIP business being a fairly good piece of work, the Iraq War legislation possibly, too (jury remains out on that), some other things not so good. But it remains likely that they will increase their strength in both houses in the coming election, and a probability that they will win the White House. Given that, and the relatively short time GWB has left in office, why should they be in any big hurry?

Plus, they can watch Republicans continue to self-destruct in stupid ways (Alberto Gonzales, Larry Craig, Mark Foley, Tom Delay, Ted Stevens . . .).

caw