Warning: iPods are a Fire Hazard

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14271878/detail.html

ATLANTA -- The new iPod Nano is hot. But one Douglasville man said his old Nano got even hotter -- hot enough to burst into flames."So I look down and I see flames coming up to my chest," said Danny Williams.Williams said the burn hole from the pocket of his pants marks the spot of his 15 seconds of flame. He said he had an iPod Nano and an glossy piece of paper in his pocket. He believes the paper shielded him from being burned."I'm still kind of freaked out that after only a year and a half my iPod caught fire in my pocket," said Williams.

The iPod uses a lithium ion battery -- the same type of battery under recall for setting laptops on fire.Williams said the fact is iPod Nano burst into flames while he was at work was bad enough, where he works could have been another issue. He works at a kiosk in Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport."If TSA had come by and seen me smoking, they could have honestly thought I was a terrorist," said Williams.Williams said Apple wants him to send his iPod back and they've vowed to replace it. Williams' mother called Channel 2 because she said this is more than one iPod. She said it's about what could have happened."It could have happened when we were sleeping, it could have happened when he was driving and the outcome could have been much worse," said Elaine Williams.After Channel 2 sent Apple pictures of the iPod, they called back but they refused to say how common the problem is. In fact, Apple refused to talk about this particular incident at all.

I have an iPod Mini that needs a battery replacement (it's dead without it), and when I saw this, all I can think of is "yikes".

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Hmm, never heard about this before. I can ask my husband how common it is, but I'm pretty sure his answer will be. "Wha? You're joking, right?" ;)

I also feel the "fire up to his chest" is a bit dramatized. Otherwise, I'd wonder how one shiny piece of paper in his pocket kept him from being burned if fire was shooting from his pants pocket all the way up to his chest.

Also, the comment about lithium ion batteries being on recall is ridiculous. It was a specific battery that was on recall, not all lithium ion ones.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
now if every blue tooth in existence would simultaneously burst into flames, i could get behind this whole tech revolution thing...