Liberal Atomic Poop Stolen

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
No, not really. Everybody is okay.

Just more scenarios for war with Iran. And, guess what?

It looks like the problem is not the imaginary bombs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/iran/story/0,,2184229,00.html

Where we read:

What is becoming clearer is that the likely pretext for aggression against Iran has shifted from the possibility that Tehran might develop nuclear weapons to its role in supporting and allegedly arming the resistance in neighbouring Iraq and Afghanistan. The administration is increasingly convinced that it will be far easier to convince the American public of the case for war on Iran if it's seen as being about the protection of US troops rather than nuclear scaremongering from the people who brought you Saddam Hussein's WMD. So the focus of the military plans has changed accordingly: from a wide-ranging bombing assault on Iran's known and suspected nuclear sites to "surgical" strikes on the Revolutionary Guards, who the US claims are backing armed attacks on its occupation forces.

In reality, the growing confrontation between Washington and Iran has less to do with nuclear weapons or Iraqi resistance and more with the fact that Iran has emerged as the main strategic beneficiary of the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. Iran and its allies now offer the only effective challenge to US domination of the Middle East and its resources. It's hardly surprising that the US is alarmed by the increased influence of an avowedly anti-imperialist state sitting astride a sea of oil, now making common cause with other radical, independent regimes in Latin America. But it is of course the direct result of Bush's own policies, which have also provided an object demonstration of the advantages of possessing nuclear weapons - even if there is as yet no evidence that Iran actually intends to acquire them.

Last edited:

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
So, in other words, we shouldn't have attacked Iraq. :)

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
So, in other words, we shouldn't have attacked Iraq. :)

Unless we wanted to empower the Shia and Iran, then no..we should not have attacked Iraq.

I myself have never met a Shia who wasn't a marvelous person so from that angle maybe it was a good thing. But making the world safe for the Shia and Iran was probably not the main aim of the US Administration.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of interesting results concerning how Americans feel about US military action against Iran:

http://www.pollingreport.com/iran.htm

The Fox News poll question is rather biased, but even there, the majority of Americans clearly do not want this administration in charge of another military confrontation.

Overall, the vast majority of Americans are against bombing or military action against Iran, preferring diplomacy and sanctions.

I agree with the author of Sokal's article, that people have to be vocal in their opposition to bombing. However, I think Bush must know that if he took it upon himself to bomb, he would spark enormous civil unrest: marches, clashes and rioting in this country not seen since Vietnam, and probably worse. The middle class is against more military conflict. That is clear to me, and the middle class is the backbone of the country.