Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
http://tpmelectioncentral.com/2007/...lution_condemning_rush_limbaugh_on_monday.php

After condemning MoveOn for its ad in the New York Times, should our Congress also condemn Comedian Rush Limbaugh for his "phony soldiers" remarks in regards to those vets who are against the policy in Iraq? While I hope that it doesn't pass (as it is unlikely), I hope that it puts certain Congress critters on the spot for blatant hypocrisy.

My personal opinion? Draft-dodger-because-I-had-a-pimple-on-my-ass has no authority to speak on soldiers and needs all the heat one can muster. Though it's too much to expect an apology from the likes of him.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Whatever happened to that pesky rule that said government shall not impinge upon the right to free speech or some such.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
My personal opinion? Draft-dodger-because-I-had-a-pimple-on-my-ass has no authority to speak on soldiers and needs all the heat one can muster. Though it's too much to expect an apology from the likes of him.
I wonder how Clinton acted as commander-in-chief, taking that stance...

I guess it wasn't all that unexpected that a Democratic Congress would spend their time on resolutions to condemn a talk show host, instead of trying to fix the much more important issues in this country.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I can't stand Limbaugh. He's a mean-spirited, self-absorbed prick. That said, I certainly hope Congress has something more pressing than to wash the bile out of a jackass's mouth.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Whatever happened to that pesky rule that said government shall not impinge upon the right to free speech or some such.

Went out the window completely since their condemnation of the MoveOn ad. Which is why I hope this puts them on the spot as a bunch of hypocrites, especially to those who voted to condemn MoveOn, but not the Comedian.

While certainly he does need to be held to account for what he says, it doesn't warrant Congressional condemnation. Let the public decide, I say.

I guess it wasn't all that unexpected that a Democratic Congress would spend their time on resolutions to condemn a talk show host, instead of trying to fix the much more important issues in this country.

You mean like the voting of the resolution to condemn MoveOn.org for their anti-Petreus ad? That was a waste of time, too.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Went out the window completely since their condemnation of the MoveOn ad. Which is why I hope this puts them on the spot as a bunch of hypocrites, especially to those who voted to condemn MoveOn, but not the Comedian.

While certainly he does need to be held to account for what he says, it doesn't warrant Congressional condemnation. Let the public decide, I say.

You mean like the voting of the resolution to condemn MoveOn.org for their anti-Petreus ad? That was a waste of time, too.

A) Is Rush's condemning soldiers who don't want to be in this war as phony soldiers any worse than Thomas Paine calling those who didn't want to fight in the Revolutionary War "summer soldiers?"

B) Rush called dissenting troops phony soldiers. MoveOn denounced our commanding officer in a war zone as a traitor. Slight difference?

Any way this goes, I think the Dems lose. They'll already be denounced as petty at this point. Rush's ratings will go up. The grand cycle continues.

None of this is as bad as it was in the 1860s.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
A) Is Rush's condemning soldiers who don't want to be in this war as phony soldiers any worse than Thomas Paine calling those who didn't want to fight in the Revolutionary War "summer soldiers?"

The Iraq War and the Revolutionary War are two different things. The Revolutionary War was a fight for freedom for a bunch of people who wanted to break away from a tyrannical monarch. The Iraq War is this generation's version of Vietnam, which was another unpopular war that vets also railed against.

B) Rush called dissenting troops phony soldiers. MoveOn denounced our commanding officer in a war zone as a traitor. Slight difference?

Both are free speech issues that Congress should not have even touched. Although I think in the case of Mr. Limbaugh, it's more of a matter of a statement than anything solid.

Any way this goes, I think the Dems lose. They'll already be denounced as petty at this point. Rush's ratings will go up. The grand cycle continues.

Rush has been losing audience, ratings, and affiliates lately. Between him and Bill'O, those two have constant case of foot-in-mouth disease.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The Iraq War and the Revolutionary War are two different things. The Revolutionary War was a fight for freedom for a bunch of people who wanted to break away from a tyrannical monarch. The Iraq War is this generation's version of Vietnam, which was another unpopular war that vets also railed against.
You'd be surprised how unpopular the revolutionary war was. A war just to avoid paying taxes? How gauche!

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
You'd be surprised how unpopular the revolutionary war was. A war just to avoid paying taxes? How gauche!
Can you imagine if we'd decided not to fight that one.

Oh too hard...too messy...too this...too that...waaaaa..what a bunch of freaks we were, then. sheesh...

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net

It wasn't a "war just to avoid paying taxes". It was a war to win independence. There were all kinds of abuses committed against the colonists; "Taxation without Representation" was just one abuse.

Also apparently, you seem to misunderstand that whole "No Taxation without Representation" thing. The whole point of the Boston Tea Party was that the local American business owners were protesting the price of tea, which was fixed so that the Dutch East India Company paid less in tea taxes, while the small business owner paid more then they could afford.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
worst. congress. ever.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Still, it was an unpopular war.

Perhaps, but it still meant something to people.

Now, we're just stuck in a quagmire and no one knows what the Iraq War is really about other than oil.

worst. congress. ever.

Actually, I would argue that the last Congress was even worse. And I only say that because this one actually passed the College Cost Reduction Act, which would lower interest rates on my Sallie Mae loans from community college, among some of the other things.

I would say that they need to grow a spine on more pressing issues, but that's just me.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
These Congressional gestures are stupid, even for political theater, both the MoveOn ad flap and this one. That being said, they do not have the force of law, and do not impinge on anyone's right to freedom of speech. That being said, surely these people have better things to do with their time (and our tax money that pays them for their time). You know, like screw around with congressional pages, collect a few bribes, that sort of thing.

caw

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I sent letters to my senators and congressmen last week to tell them to please go back to do their job.

the whole thing is ridiculous.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Perhaps, but it still meant something to people.
Yes, to those people that supported it.

Now, we're just stuck in a quagmire and no one knows what the Iraq War is really about other than oil.
Yes, according to those people opposed to it.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

No, no, no. It's about good and evil: "There's good and there's evil. And that's it." -- George W. Bush, 2003.

Actually, I would argue that the last Congress was even worse.

Yup. Remember, that one was led by Dennis Hastert, and featured such luminaries as Tom Delay and Duke Cunningham and Bob Ney and Mark Foley. The current group has still got a lot of catching up to do to match that one.

caw

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Yes, to those people that supported it.

Fine, then. It accomplished something, then. We got our independence from Britain.

Yes, according to those people opposed to it.

And of course, the Iraq Occupation hasn't really accomplished anything good, unless you're a war profiteer.

No, no, no. It's about good and evil: "There's good and there's evil. And that's it." -- George W. Bush, 2003.

:roll: Indeed.

Yup. Remember, that one was led by Dennis Hastert, and featured such luminaries as Tom Delay and Duke Cunningham and Bob Ney and Mark Foley. The current group has still got a lot of catching up to do to match that one.

caw

And Hastert, from what I understand is retiring (so are a bunch of others, like rats off a sinking ship), and guys like Doolittle, Stevens, etc. are being investigated for corruption. There are probably like 3 or 4 Dems being investigated for similar corruption issues, out of the whole lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.