Looking for a risk-free job? Contact the UK police.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
What's the pay?

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
About 20K a year. No dental - practically no dental anywhere in the -- NHS will look after you from the cradle to the grave -- UK now, unless you go private.

You must, however, be knowledgeable in how to call the real police if you see anything dodgy going down (I've done that before, and they never paid me). You will also be trained in Health and Safety procedures, skills that will prove invaluable if you perhaps run across a ten year old boy who's dived into a river to save his sister.

And the handbook says: Steer well clear.

Reaction score
They sound about a 1/2 above elementary school safety patrol.

Of which I was a proud member.

You should have seen the way I patrolled that bus. Up and down the aisle.

Yellow belt giving me all the power I'd need to say "Sit down and shut up."

Good times.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
I don't know why you're all being so sniffy about it. My young man is a Community Support Officer in the British Transport Police - and he has to wear a stab-proof vest on duty. He's needed it once or twice, too - and then there was the occasion when he had to hang on to his collegue to stop him from being thrown onto the live railway line....

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why you're all being so sniffy about it. My young man is a Community Support Officer in the British Transport Police - and he has to wear a stab-proof vest on duty. He's needed it once or twice, too - and then there was the occasion when he had to hang on to his collegue to stop him from being thrown onto the live railway line....

And good on him.

But the two in question are not a fine example, whereas your young man may be a different type entirely.

And it's quite obvious why some (especially in the UK) are up in arms about this. You don't need to be a community officer to wade in and try to rescue a youngster, you just need to know when to do 'the right thing'. The boy showed more courage than the both of them.

Plus, Blunkett took the easy way out. No-go areas spring up all around the UK, so what does he do? Creates a force within a force, and then hamstrings them. We needed more police on the streets, and he came up with a sop for his critics.

I know community officers who patrol sink estates and take the most awful abuse. Their only recourse? To phone the police.