Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Science fact?

Acne scars?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I saw an article about these a few weeks back. To my eye they look very much like karst collapse features on earth (sinkholes). This would be very exciting stuff if that's what they turn out to be, because such features can only form through dissolution of bedrock by large quantities of underground water. And the bedrock itself has to be of a soluble type, most commonly limestone on earth, which likewise only forms in the presence of lots of water.

caw

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I saw an article about these a few weeks back. To my eye they look very much like karst collapse features on earth (sinkholes). This would be very exciting stuff if that's what they turn out to be, because such features can only form through dissolution of bedrock by large quantities of underground water. And the bedrock itself has to be of a soluble type, most commonly limestone on earth, which likewise only forms in the presence of lots of water.

caw

I remember when this set of mysteries was all the rage in Mars images:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/060816_mars_icecaps.html

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The "Face on Mars" turned out to be a natural feature. The gas jets turned out to be a natural feature. The "canali" noted by Schiaparelli more than a century ago, and filtered through human imagination and primitive optical telescopes into features of an artificial intelligent culture by Percival Lowell and others, turned out to be natural features. These holes are natural features, and there are at least a couple of natural explanations for them. Which makes them plenty interesting enough in themselves to any reputable scientist.

caw

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Spoil sport.

And I was gonna suggest they were launching tubes for the pending Martian invasion. They are subterreanian, you see.

Reaction score
Mod,

Please move all subsequent posts by Trilzy on any topic to the "Huh? So?" forum.

Thank you.

caw

You should have come up with a better/wittier forum for my posts like this....

Mod,
Please move blacs post about me into the "Nice Try, But You Made a Comedic Error" Forum.

I'm the moderator over there, so we can do some work on your posts when you have a little free time. Or a lot of free time actually. Holla! :)

Goodnight, AW!!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Mod,
Please move this thread to the "Huh? So?" forum.

Thank you.
no

Mod,

Please move all subsequent posts by Trilzy on any topic to the "Huh? So?" forum.

Thank you.

caw
no

You should have come up with a better/wittier forum for my posts like this....

Mod,
Please move blacs post about me into the "Nice Try, But You Made a Comedic Error" Forum.

I'm the moderator over there, so we can do some work on your posts when you have a little free time. Or a lot of free time actually. Holla! :)

Goodnight, AW!!
and, uh, no

;)