Burma's revolution....maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
They got rice and hot babes. Enough reason for me.

burma.jpg

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I give a s*** about Burma. Why don't you guys?

Oh wait, you do...keep 'em oppressed so you can use them to make political points, right? Well done.

Read the bottle again, Rob. It says, "Take one 25mg capsule three times a day," not "three days at a time". :)

The local police allowed the monks to approach her house, on a street that had been closed to travel for years. There is some speculation that this was possibly an attempt to ascertain how much support she still had from the general populace, which could mean they are thinking of releasing her. It could also merely be one method of identifying anti-government protesters...

Mr. Fix

Fixed on the future...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
What are US interest abroad?

Burma is ruled by a brutal faceless military dictatorship.

Burma has no oil.

We don't give a schidt about Burma.

caw

US Interest abroad...
Let's see;
Korea (Protecting Hyundia?),
Vietnam (Securing rice patties?),
Grenada (American Students - a vital resource to the Libs!),
Panama (OK - The Canal),
Bosnia (Protecting Islam?),
Kosovo (What are the resources here? - Already protecting Islam in Bosnia right?),
Somolia (We don't have enough shark infested beaches already?),

Now if I start to mention the 'other' conflicts where we have direct interest into that countries successes we seem to succeed.

Somehow when the vital interest of the US are removed from the fight, so is our ability to do the job right! I would prefer a fight where we DO profit from our involvement. Germany in WWII first leaps to mind. the first Desert Storm comes forward. We had a vital interest in seeing that the invaded country of Kuwait be liberated from Iraqi oppression. The women of Kuwait have never had it better since our 'involvement' into their 'sovereign affairs'. Should all conflicts work out to benefit all the parties involved (except, of course, the agrressor/enemy!) This is not meant as an extensive list of benefits, but it gets the point across.

Last edited:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
the junta strikes back:

Monks' shaved heads stained with blood could be seen at the Shwedagon Pagoda where police charged against protesters demanding the end of military rule.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7013638.stm

up until now, it was reported that china was holding back the junta, b/c they didnt want to have another darfur type embarrassment ahead of the olympics.

but the protests just got larger and larger, and it now looks like china gave them the greenlight.

not good.

About 100 Buddhist monks were reported to have been held when a monastery in the east of the main city, Rangoon, was stormed overnight, witnesses said.

It followed reports of several deaths when police broke up demonstrations by monks and civilians on Wednesday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7015544.stm

for me, this entire episode has been amazing to watch.

hopefully the people keep up the pressure and there's a minimal amount of violence.

but it aint easy going up against a military dictatorship.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i will now rob.

thanks.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
this cuts into so many issues we talk about on the boards, i refuse to let this thread die.

here, i'll help out some:

why do people think that peaceful protests that attracted some 100,000 people in a tiny nation like burma failed to end the military regime?

anyone anyone?

anyone know how to best take down such a regime?

Last edited:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
okay since you asked, id say that burma is an energy rich nation smack in between two emerging powers, india and china.

those two countries want their energy, and the junta provides a stable partner for that.

IMO, the difference b/n burma and say the ukraine is that the EU was able to exert pressure and allow a peaceful transition over there.

india, and esp. china, do not have any desire to do that.

so that's why these protests would fail.

so now, here's another question: would these protests be more effective if there was an armed segment of society attacking the military?

would the junta be more willing to step down?

are protest movements helped by having violent elements?

hmmm..

i'd say in this case, the junta would just commit mass genocide b/c there'd be no one stopping them.

so how do you exert pressure in this case?

Last edited:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
talking to yourself is fun.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
okay since you asked, id say that burma is smack in between two emerging powers, india and china, and since they want their energy reserves, they want a stable govt.

the junta is a stable govt for them.

IMO, the difference b/n burma and say the ukraine is that the EU was able to exert pressure and allow a peaceful transition.

india, and esp. china, do not have any desire to do that.

so that's why these protests would fail.

so now, here's another question: would these protests be more effective if there was an armed segment of society attacking the military?

would the junta be more willing to step down?

are protest movements helped by having violent elements?

hmmm..

i'd say in this case, the junta would just commit mass genocide b/c there'd be no one stopping them.

so how do you exert pressure in this case?

Hire Blackwater. Or let the UN handle it.

In all seriousness, the protest movement needs a scary ally. And if the people were armed, it would definitely make a difference. Do you think Gandhi would succeed in Burma today? I think not.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
No one even knows where Burma is, anymore. And changing the name to "Myanmar" was a stroke of genius.

Bravo, I think you're right: China is right there. China doesn't want the attention on Burma.

Also, there is pitiful little information on the region during the last four decades or so.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well I guess no one knows where Burma is anymore. And this little ditty is especially for that poster who said so:

China braces for prospect of changes in Burma
China is hedging its bets on the political developments in Burma by maintaining unofficial contacts with exiled opposition groups

By DAVID LAGUE

Beijing _ As China publicly calls for stability and reconciliation in Burma, it is also preparing for the possibility that the mounting protests could lead to the downfall of the military junta heading its resource-rich neighbour, regional experts said Wednesday. China is Burma's most important trading partner, investor and strategic ally, and has consistently thwarted attempts to put pressure on Burma's rulers, through sanctions or other measures. . . . . http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/28Sep2007_news19.php

It appears that China may play a reluctant ally to the monks/protesters after all.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You didn't have a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.