When to attack Iran?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
With everyone rattling swords and winking at Israel (even France!) my guess is that the attack will happen this week, a couple of hours after Ahmadinejad leaves New York. The first wave will be Israel’s, which will also attempt to shoot down Ahmadinejad’s jet over international waters. Iran will respond with ineffectual missile attacks on Israel, as well as US bases. The latter stupidity will justify a US strike by hundreds of aircraft, which will take out the Iranian command centers and air force--final payback for that humiliating hostage crisis.

(Just speculating, of course.)

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Just pure speculation. It won't get you far here.

I posted a Salon article in the other thread that says it's not likely to happen any time soon.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
God knows what will happen next, but the one thing that won't happen is any joint attack with Israel involved. If Israel attacks, their will be logistic and intelligence support from the U.S. and some other nations, but no combined attack effort.

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
Interesting piece regarding this scenario, picked up by Newsweek:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/906386.html

Newsweek Magazine reported Sunday that Vice President Richard Cheney may have considered a plan for Israeli missile strikes against an Iranian nuclear site in an effort to draw a military response from Iran, which could in turn spark a U.S. offensive against targets in the Islamic Republic.

Citing two unnamed sources the magazine called knowledgeable, the magazine quoted David Wurmser, until last month Cheney's Middle East advisor, as having told a small group of people that "Cheney had been mulling the idea of pushing for limited Israeli missile strikes against the Iranian nuclear site at Natanz - and perhaps other sites - in order to provoke Tehran into lashing out."

According to the report, "The Iranian reaction would then give Washington a pretext to launch strikes against military and nuclear targets in Iran."

0.gif

Woof

Outward Hound
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
So, the evil puppet master, Cheney is behind this. Makes sense. He's always in such a rush to bring on Armageddon and end the world. Why doesn't he just re-direct his anger and pull wings off of flies instead?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I have a book from 2004 that says we needed to attack them then.

My guess is that Israel's strike on Syria this week has done more than enough to remind Iran why they want to just rattle sabres, and not draw them.

Reaction score
With everyone rattling swords and winking at Israel (even France!) my guess is that the attack will happen this week, a couple of hours after Ahmadinejad leaves New York. The first wave will be Israel’s, which will also attempt to shoot down Ahmadinejad’s jet over international waters. Iran will respond with ineffectual missile attacks on Israel, as well as US bases. The latter stupidity will justify a US strike by hundreds of aircraft, which will take out the Iranian command centers and air force--final payback for that humiliating hostage crisis.

Not.gonna.happen

As much as I may like to see it happen....

Not.gonna.happen.

Certainly not this week.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
My guess is that Israel's strike on Syria this week has done more than enough to remind Iran why they want to just rattle sabres, and not draw them.

The US forces should be in place in just a few days, when the Nimitz and Truman carrier groups join the Enterprise off the Iranian coast. Ahmadinejad has picked an amazingly bad time to go to New York, unless it's to say he's ending his nuclear program.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The US forces should be in place in just a few days, when the Nimitz and Truman carrier groups join the Enterprise off the Iranian coast. Ahmadinejad has picked an amazingly bad time to go to New York, unless it's to say he's ending his nuclear program.

Well, he said October 12th will be Israel's final answer.

I hope that answer is a peaceful one.

Reaction score

Julie,

Don't get me wrong. I love where your head is at. I do.

But we're not attacking Iran this week.

Or anytime soon.

But man o man, I'd be thrillyed if you were right.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Julie,

Don't get me wrong. I love where your head is at. I do.

But we're not attacking Iran this week.

Or anytime soon.

But man o man, I'd be thrillyed if you were right.

I think there will be a big strike on Iran before say next May. And I don't think it will be one launched in any expected way, but rather as both sides fail to read the other...possibly at sea (if they say hit a carrier with a missile or something), or after some Kurdish escalation.
I'm sure the USA has a very good plan for knocking out the Iranian Air Defences, and that sounds kind of safe...ie we don't hit the nuclear stuff, we just blow away their defence just to be on the safe side. What will happen is that things will get really tense really fast after the incident (which will be a real one and not a staged one) and the blasting the Iranian Air Defence will sound like a minimal response....but, somewhere along that line...from incident to safe response...all hell will break lose and there will be a really big war and it will be confined to Iran and the USA with everyone else just very happy not to be in it. Though shipping in the Gulf will be a mess and the economic impact will be nasty.

Anyway...that's my pure speculation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think there will be a big strike on Iran before say next May.

There will be a strike when the Mossad says they are getting close to the bomb.

It may a purely Israeli strike.

It may be a U.S./Israeli strike. Or maybe even more countries.

It may be in January.

It may be in 2010.

In the Mossad I trust.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
There will be a strike when the Mossad says they are getting close to the bomb.

It may a purely Israeli strike.

It may be a U.S./Israeli strike. Or maybe even more countries.

It may be in January.

It may be in 2010.

In the Mossad I trust.

The bomb's not the problem...it's the preception of rapidly falling US power in the Persian Gulf region. Which means the US has about six or eight months to blast Iran or just thrown in the towel in the Persian Gulf. That sort of expectation of powerlessness is exactly what drives people to hit the other side....it will seem like the least of many evils.

Reaction score
The bomb's not the problem...it's the preception of rapidly falling US power in the Persian Gulf region. Which means the US has about six or eight months to blast Iran or just thrown in the towel in the Persian Gulf. That sort of expectation of powerlessness is exactly what drives people to hit the other side....it will seem like the least of many evils.

The bomb is the problem.

That's it and that's all.

IMO

Thank you.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score

(Just speculating, of course.)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
It's possible that Israel believes that Iran already has a bomb, imported from North Korea. And that the centrifuges are just a cover story.

If Iran has a bomb and they aren't using it, then why attack them to stop them from getting a bomb and using it?

If they have a bomb and you attack them then they will use it.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Long as it's just speculation.

'Cause it's not gonna happen. At least I hope not. It would be nuts.

The problem is that blasting Iran's Air Defence will come to look like the least nutty of many possibilities.

Assuming:

1) the US is cutting back soon on forces in the Gulf
2) Iran has no bomb yet
3) but will soon

Hit the Air Defence and they have to stop. Supposedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.