More wishful thinking?

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
President [gratuitous expletive deleted]:

"I heard somebody say, 'Where's Mandela?'," he (Bush) said.
"Well, Mandela's dead because Saddam Hussein killed all the Mandelas."
The bizarre gaffe was made in a press conference in Washington yesterday.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22461088-5005961,00.html

When is this walking strait jacket finally going to announce he's asking Congress to give him 50 billion dollars to find his missing strawberries?

Last edited by a moderator:

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
He also lost his Texas accent there in that very speech. Proving evermore how much of a phony he is.

Now the other question is when Congress is going to stop taking this clown seriously and hold him to account like they were elected to do...?

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
He's got a provision in one of his latest bills the house passed that literally lets him pardon himself for war crimes.

Amazing.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
He's got a provision in one of his latest bills the house passed that literally lets him pardon himself for war crimes.

Amazing.

Oh, my...Goddess help us all if that's true.

ETA: I noticed that my usual blog haunts are silent on this, and usually they're pretty good about getting the stories out. You might want to provide a link...

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
President Shit for Brains:

"I heard somebody say, 'Where's Mandela?'," he (Bush) said.
The bizarre gaffe was made in a press conference in Washington yesterday.
Why is it bizarre? It certainly isn't a great quote, but bizarre? I don't get it.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Boy howdy, he's dumb. And sometimes he talks "funny" sometimes not!

And he can push a button and wipe out every living thing on this planet.

(makes "weighing hands" gesture)

Sarcasm here ... awesome power and responsibility everywhere ...

Smug superior air here ... awesome power and responsibility everywhere ...

Yes, the world needs "help"

What are you doing to help?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Why is it bizarre? It certainly isn't a great quote, but bizarre? I don't get it.

Actually the quote is right on the button. He made a parable between Nelson Mandela and the rights of humans to exist without fear from their government. Nelson Mandela was a icon for national rule by majority. That's how it's done in a democracy.

Bush made the correct inference between the Ba'ath party and the former white South Afrikaner government.

Last edited:

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Actually the quote is right on the button. He made a parable between Nelson Mandela and the rights of humans to exist without fear from their government. Nelson Mandela was a icon for national rule by majority. That's how it's done in a democracy.

Bush made the correct inference between the Ba'ath party and the former white South Afrikaner government.

Bingo, Spooky Jimi! It was an excellent parallel he drew and effective imagery indeed!

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
And you said 'phony' and I said 'funny' ...

Neither of us was laughing though, let's agree! Not much "ha-ha" there, however it came across.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

This post might be more bizarre than the Bush statement. Which is quite an achievement.

Among the many many many points that can be made about it is the fact that the approval rating for George W. Bush in the U.S. is now at 29%. If we could hold an election today, Dennis Kucinich might beat him. Wanna talk some more about the virtues of "majority rule"?

Just incidentally,as another factual matter, Nelson Mandela isn't dead.

Carry on, Spoox.

caw

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Blac, you're being very generous with that 29%, I doubt Bush has seen that in three years. I'd say he's running more like 20%.

That said, the demos are coming in at 18%. A statistical wash.

None of us are happy with the behavior we see from our representatives, president or otherwise. We need statesmen. Where the f%@ are they?

All of these slick politicos are bums. We need a leader to step up now.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Just incidentally,as another factual matter, Nelson Mandela isn't dead.
Duh. He was obviously not talking about the REAL Mandela. Listen to the whole thing in context. That's why I can't fathom the 'bizarre' part.

Really, Billy's BDS Theory seems to be the only viable explanation, here. Either that or the reporter and the fellow from the Mandela org are both total idiots--which I guess IS possible...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It was late and I was very tired. Misread the comment. Still, somebody needs to tell Dubya to avoid attempts at wit and figurative comment whenever possible; not one of his strong points.

caw

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody needs to tell Dubya to avoid attempts at wit and figurative comment whenever possible; not one of his strong points.

Like Kerry's inability to tell a joke...
Like Clinton's inability to tell the truth....(wait, that's a common problem among politicians)....ummm....his inability to keep it in his pants....(no, wait, that's a common one too)....come to think of it, what was uniquely wrong about Mr. Clinton?
Like Dan Quayle's inability to spell....(what the heck happened to him?? He's still alive, right?)

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Blac, you're being very generous with that 29%, I doubt Bush has seen that in three years. I'd say he's running more like 20%.

That said, the demos are coming in at 18%. A statistical wash.

Not entirely.

Congress, historically, has a very low rating. A 40% rating for Congress is amazingly high. A 40% rating for a president is amazingly low. IMHO they should be treated as separate entities.

Oddly -- and I need to find the link so I'll get back to you on it -- much of the reason for the low ratings of Congress is from Dems who don't see them as doing enough to rein in Dubya. Back with a link either later today or tomorrow.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
It was late and I was very tired. Misread the comment. Still, somebody needs to tell Dubya to avoid attempts at wit and figurative comment whenever possible; not one of his strong points.

caw
I usually blame my gaffs on cheap booze and loose women.

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
Here's a short piece regarding the latest Congressional poll numbers:

http://tpmelectioncentral.com/2007/09/poll_more_republicans_than_democrats_approve_of_congress.php

Now this is curious. In the latest Gallup poll, more Republicans approve of the job Congress is doing than there are Democrats who approve. According to the poll, 37% of Republicans approve of Congress' performance, compared to 23% of Democrats and 14% of independents, with an overall rating of 24% approval and 71% disapproval.

This is odd, of course, considering that both houses have Democratic majorities. But on second thought, the current Congress has passed President Bush's funding requests for Iraq, passed his FISA bill, and has given the White House exactly what it wanted on a host of other issues. So what do Republicans really have to complain about?

ETA: The overall number is 24%, a substantial surge for Congress

Last edited:
Reaction score
Among the many many many points that can be made about it is the fact that the approval rating for George W. Bush in the U.S. is now at 29%.

Yeah, and 1.2 million Iraqis have been killed!!!... because I just take the number that best fits my agenda and spew it out like a one year old trying string beans for the first time.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/09/13/bush.poll/

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Ahead of a national address on the war in Iraq, Americans remain deeply skeptical about the policies President Bush is pursuing and unhappy with his job performance, according to a CNN poll released Thursday.

President Bush is expected to announce his plans for cutting back U.S. troop numbers in Iraq.

The president's approval rating in the survey was 36 percent -- unchanged from an August poll and barely above where it was in January.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jR80ylRipRFz_BSPltSUJ06-lMeg

Only a third of the public is satisfied with the job President Bush is doing and even fewer are pleased with Congress, according to a poll by The Associated Press and Ipsos released Thursday.

With the clash between Bush and congressional Democrats over Iraq continuing to dominate the news, 33 percent said they approve of Bush's performance. That essentially matched his all-time low of 32 percent measured several times in the AP-Ipsos survey, a level that has barely changed since late last year.

I love how people report opinion polls as fact and then only use the one that best best bestest fits.

BDS'er reading headlines from different news sources...

Bush's approval is at 36%
Bush's approval is at 32%
Bush's approval is at 33%
Bush's approval is at 29%

412,000 Iraqi's killed.
123,000 Iraqi's killed
45,000 Iraq's killed
1.2 million Iraq's killed.

BDS'er then runs to shout the news from the rooftops...

"Hey everyone, President Bush has killed 1.2 million Iraqi's and his approval rating is 29%!!!!!"

Normal people go....

Pfffh.

The rest of the BDS'ers go....

:partyguy:

weird.wild.stuff

Thank god I'm a normal person.

And Happy Yom Kuiper to all my Jewish friends.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Sarah - that's what I was going to post.

But the 24% isnt unprecedented. Not in the way the mid-20s number is for Bush. Plus, Congressional polls aren't taken just as often as they do the Presidential polls.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Like Kerry's inability to tell a joke...
Like Clinton's inability to tell the truth....(wait, that's a common problem among politicians)....ummm....his inability to keep it in his pants....(no, wait, that's a common one too)....come to think of it, what was uniquely wrong about Mr. Clinton?
Like Dan Quayle's inability to spell....(what the heck happened to him?? He's still alive, right?)
Keep going, you're on a bipartisan roll :D

Yup, Quayle's still alive. I hear he's studying spelling w/ Leap Frog. He finds it user friendly.

BTW, how could people, anywhere, not know that Mandella's alive. That's shocking.