PDA

View Full Version : Parents, are you ready?

Elincoln
09-21-2007, 07:14 AM
It's starting. Every cartoony, kid oriented channel is doing it. I'm already sick of it.

TOY COMMERCIALS!!

Anyone with kids knows what I'm talking about. If you don't, just turn on the Nick channel before noon. Every commercial is new toy this and new toy that.

And all our kids are saying the same thing:

"I want that! Mommy I wish I could have that."

I'm ready to block TV watching till December 26th. Anyone else in the same pickle?

Siddow
09-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Yes.

I just say, "You better go clean your room. Santa Claus is watching!"

P.H.Delarran
09-21-2007, 07:18 AM
We must be on the same wave length, or watching the same channel. My oldest daughter was just commenting on the toy commercials..like just now before I read your post.
Worse yet, she just got a load of potted Christmas trees in at work (a home store)today.
grrrr

Danger Jane
09-21-2007, 07:21 AM
uh oh!

Luckily I'm an adult and too old for toy commercials but too young for kids.

Mandy-Jane
09-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Yep I know exactly what you mean. Same thing in our house. "Mum I really want one of those." "Mummy I would love that." "Mummy I wish I could have that." As if that's not annoying enough, those commercials are full of perfectly groomed kids living in perfectly tidy houses with perfectly attractive and well-dressed mothers. My house is not like that! It makes me feel incompetent! Grrrr!

Carole
09-21-2007, 07:36 AM
Wait till it isn't toys they want. When the commercials they like are advertising things that cost $300 and up it's time to hang your head & cry.

Joe270
09-21-2007, 08:00 AM
My kids are too old for that now. My daughter's birthday is next week. She only wants two items.

A cell phone and a car.

Great. Just great.

P.H.Delarran
09-21-2007, 08:04 AM
When the Razor phones first came out, my kids drove me crazy with begging.
They shouldn't have wasted their breath, they never got one ;)

Elincoln
09-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Wait till it isn't toys they want. When the commercials they like are advertising things that cost $300 and up it's time to hang your head & cry.

Wait? Mine's four years old and she already wants a $500 'toy'.

My mantra lately is "Ask Santa for it."

Danger Jane
09-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Well all I want is CDs, movies, and hippie clothes. I guess I am a simple girl to please

LOL as if

Rolling Thunder
09-21-2007, 08:31 AM
"Okay, dear. But just remember; every time you wish for a toy, Santa kills a kitten to make it."

Problem solved.

Um...I'm not responsible for the years of ongoing therapy afterwards. :D

kristie911
09-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Thank goodness my son is still young enough to watch Noggin. NO COMMERCIALS!

It's the only tv channel he's allowed to watch. And that's the reason. :)

Priene
09-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks to the wonder that is CBeebies (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/), my children have yet to see a toy advert.

maddythemad
09-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Accidentally throw the TV out of a second-story window.

:D

plnelson
09-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Television is a form of child abuse.

She_wulf
09-21-2007, 05:32 PM
I have two girls, last year it was a Razor phone and a digital camera that "Santa" brought them.

This year...they don't want the expensive gifts. My youngest wants "something pretty from her boyfriend" and the oldest claims she has everything she needs.

I think I'm going to cry, they're so grown up!

*sniff*

MY Santa gifts on the other hand... :D

Unique
09-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Television is a form of child abuse.

>''<

PeeDee
09-21-2007, 09:33 PM
My son mostly drools things down the front of his shirt.

But man...

*I* want some of those toys.

Now when I grind my teeth is when I get 15,000 Salad Shooter commercials a day. Friends, Romans, countrymen, nobody buys salad shooters.! Agh!

Meerkat
09-21-2007, 09:48 PM
All I want for Christmas is that Billy Mays brush that cleans lint from the dryer and fridge coils. No, make that TWO such brushes!

Monkey
09-21-2007, 09:49 PM
I set my TV up so that it doesn't get reception. My kids only watch what we rent from Blockbuster or buy for ourselves. No commercials is just one of the many reasons we decided to do things that way...but boy, does it drive my 16-year-old crazy!

(my other two are 9 months and 3 years)

JLCwrites
09-22-2007, 01:49 AM
Disney Channel
and
pbs Kids
don't do commercials during the show.

We've stopped watching Nick Jr because of the commercials.

PeeDee
09-22-2007, 01:52 AM
I wanna do A Clockwork Orange style brainwashing thing with my son so that, when he's older, if he sees anything that isn't on the Discovery Channel, he just goes into hysterics and starts screaming (it'll backfire on me and he'll start screaming Leave Britney Alone and then I'll have to axe him...)

Rolling Thunder
09-22-2007, 02:02 AM
I wanna do A Clockwork Orange style brainwashing thing with my son so that, when he's older, if he sees anything that isn't on the Discovery Channel, he just goes into hysterics and starts screaming (it'll backfire on me and he'll start screaming Leave Britney Alone and then I'll have to axe him...)

When he reaches that age where he starts whining about getting a dog have him speak to Uncle Haggis. :D

PeeDee
09-22-2007, 02:03 AM
(going to try to shield him from all you lot, thank you so much. Or he'll be crazy)

JoNightshade
09-22-2007, 02:06 AM
Just one more point in favor of a "no TV" household. Movies, ok. TV, no. Even the stuff in between the commercials is 90% crap.

That said, my parents trained me to be non-consumerist from the start. Basically all they would do was 1) Mute all commercials and 2) Sit there and make disparaging comments about the silent commercials. IE, "Oh look, they're trying to sell us ___ for $100, when it's only worth $2!" In third grade I was already listening to my classmates who were begging for stuff and thinking, "These people are idiots."

My folks also heavily emphasized the value of hand-made gifts. I was encouraged to make them, and that was a large percentage of what I got from them. They taught me that spending time and effort rather than money on a gift was a better demonstration of love than going out and buying things.

But of course I guess all of this really depends on whether or not your kids listen to you and respect your opinion. If they don't, then you're screwed. :)

PeeDee
09-22-2007, 02:09 AM
When I was little, my dad would complain all the time about T-shirts with logos on them. "Look at that!" He would say, time and again, "You are paying the company to advertise them! Stupid!"

It sunk in, I guess. My wife has an ADIDAS shirt somewhere and every time she wears it, that crosses my mind.

Rolling Thunder
09-22-2007, 02:10 AM
Jo? What are you going to do when one of your books starts making the rounds on the talk shows? ;)

JoNightshade
09-22-2007, 02:20 AM
When I was little, my dad would complain all the time about T-shirts with logos on them. "Look at that!" He would say, time and again, "You are paying the company to advertise them! Stupid!"

It sunk in, I guess. My wife has an ADIDAS shirt somewhere and every time she wears it, that crosses my mind.

Ah yes, I am in the same boat. My husband has a Cheerios shirt and I have mentioned the advertising line several times.

Jo? What are you going to do when one of your books starts making the rounds on the talk shows? ;)

Heaven forbid. Given my upbringing, I'm going to make the assumption that my books are not the type likely to be featured on a talk show. I think I would be sick if Oprah wanted to feature my book.

The one exception, of course, being Charlie Rose. But he probably won't like my writing either. :(

PeeDee
09-22-2007, 02:25 AM
There's a talk show on the internet where the guy interviews writers while he (the interviewer) is dressed in cheesy vampire costume. I can't remember the name or link now. It's bizarre, and fascinating. Watching Neil Gaiman on it was strange.

(unrelated, it just reminded me)

jennifer75
09-22-2007, 02:37 AM
It's starting. Every cartoony, kid oriented channel is doing it. I'm already sick of it.

TOY COMMERCIALS!!

Anyone with kids knows what I'm talking about. If you don't, just turn on the Nick channel before noon. Every commercial is new toy this and new toy that.

And all our kids are saying the same thing:

"I want that! Mommy I wish I could have that."

I'm ready to block TV watching till December 26th. Anyone else in the same pickle?

My son is young enough that when his show ends, or stops for commercial breaks, he leaves the room to come see what Mom is doing. Thank goodness.

JoNightshade
09-22-2007, 02:38 AM
There's a talk show on the internet where the guy interviews writers while he (the interviewer) is dressed in cheesy vampire costume. I can't remember the name or link now. It's bizarre, and fascinating. Watching Neil Gaiman on it was strange.

(unrelated, it just reminded me)

I could probably go for that. Sounds exactly like my market niche. :D

Monkey
09-22-2007, 07:39 AM

We do the same thing to our kids! :)

My oldest chooses to rebel in this area, though. He loves American Eagle shirts. It's almost always abreviated, so he'll be going around in a shirt that says:

AM
Eagle

My husband and I always do this deep, overly dramatic voice, thump our chest, and proudly proclaim, "AM EAGLE!" as if we are a big, dumb, classic D&D Barbarian trying to say that we are a large bird.

It's the lamest thing we can come up with, and so of course, my son HATES it.

What can I say...we try to instill our values, he rebels, we annoy him over it...eventually, he gives in.

:D

PeeDee
09-22-2007, 07:43 AM
Ohhh, now i wish someone in the house would wear an AM EAGLE shirt, so I could do that over and over again until no one found it funny except me, who still finds it hilarious. :D

Deadbeat 007
09-22-2007, 08:04 AM
When I was 10, my mom couldn't drive past a Toys R Us without me begging to go inside the store.

Seven years later, it's the same thing. ;)

Soccer Mom
09-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Uh....some of you do realize there are channels other than Nicklodian and Disney, right? My kids are probably just weird. They love stuff like Mythbusters and Deadliest Catch.

And my oldest is addicted to the Food Network. He wants to be a chef.

Monkey
09-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Sheesh. That's *another* reason we don't do TV.

We stayed at a hotel for a while during the summer, and the Food Network is like cryptonite for me. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Basically, after the kids were asleep, I'd lay on that big 'ol bed, nibble tasties, and watch the Food Network 'till I couldn't see straight.

I told my husband that if we had TV, it would be almost all Food Network all the time, I'd weigh several hundred pounds, and the kids would have to manage the household on their own.

Hmmmm. Fooooood.

Unique
09-22-2007, 04:28 PM
I can't watch television. It makes me cuss.

Out loud. Loudly. Often. Then I run out of new cuss words and I have to make them up.

It wastes my whole *#&$^% day!

lostintheweb
09-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Well all I want is CDs, movies, and hippie clothes. I guess I am a simple girl to please

LOL as if

Oh, shopping at Goodwill again! Then again, so do I. It amazes me the number of books I have picked up at Goodwill, in pristine shape, that are still being sold for full price at Barnes and Noble.

SherryTex
09-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Have a one hour rule on TV, no cable, no dish, you may rot your brains for one hour a day rule. They watch PBS.

As to what they want? There's a magic word. No.

She_wulf
09-23-2007, 08:13 AM
When I was 10, my mom couldn't drive past a Toys R Us without me begging to go inside the store.

Seven years later, it's the same thing. ;)
I feel the same way about Best Buy....

jennifer75
09-24-2007, 09:35 PM
My son is young enough that when his show ends, or stops for commercial breaks, he leaves the room to come see what Mom is doing. Thank goodness.

I spoke too soon... Thanks Hotwheeeeeeeelz

Jaycinth
09-24-2007, 10:40 PM
NO.

You say NO.
You follow that up with:
"That is cheap plastic crap and I am not going to have it in my house. Ask Santa."

By the time my youngest started asking my oldest was thre to tell her. 'Don't bother, Mom won't buy it, and if Santa brings it, it will break."

And, after a couple of seasons of "Mom, you know that Barbie Playhiose Meghan got? Yeah, It broke and her mom threw it away." They both started asking for things they knew I'd buy. Books. Vids. A special day somewhere, doing something. Balls. Paper, Pens..... craft materials, craft kits.

Just say no. When you see the ads, comment on the fact that it is cheap breakable stuff. Remind your kid of something they had that broke and had to be thrown away.

And, of course, we never had, and still continue to not have..Cable/sat TV. And the TV is usually off.
(Like it should have been off during that travesty of a football game....Cray jinxed them...I know it...)