Pres. of Iran denied access to Ground Zero

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Ahmadinejad requested and has been denied permission to go to Ground Zero.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/19/ahmadinejad.ground.zero/index.html

The most amusing part to me is that he was denied permission because "the site is under construction."

How about we just said "Hell, no!" simply because we don't want it being used for his propaganda? Or because it might start a riot? Or even "for his own safety?"

Susan G.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
Julie, the Cold War began much earlier, say 1945 -- others go back to 1919. I say this, having taught History, because the kids still receive only a year in high school, I received only a year in high school, and my parents only received a year in high school.
This country is generally (not our fellow subscribers, of course) illiterate in both History and Geography.

Reaction score
This country is generally (not our fellow subscribers, of course) illiterate in both History and Geography.

And don't even get me started on how weak we are at Historical Geography.

I bet less than 10% can tell me what the coordinates of NY, due to plate tectonics, would have been in the Palyeontonic era around 400 million years ago.

donroc

Registered
Reaction score
Website
In L.A., ca. 1980s most students knew who Johhny Holmes was but not the VP. At times it was the same as throwing a pebble into the deep blue sea -- no context, no continuity -- still the best among us did and still do great work despite parental attitudes, drugs, cowardly administrators, an ancient curriculum and scheduling, and the ACLU, which seems only to support student rights short of getting a safe thus fair education.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, this describes me perfectly. I am terrible at History and Geography. I always knew enough to get an A in the classes in high school and college, but I didn't retain any information.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Julie, the Cold War began much earlier, say 1945 -- others go back to 1919. I say this, having taught History, because the kids still receive only a year in high school, I received only a year in high school, and my parents only received a year in high school.

Joking! But just about the "precipitating" bit. (Still, who knows what might have happened had he seen those mermaids.)

Last edited:

donroc

Registered
Reaction score
Website
No continuity in education. I remember a study at Cal, in which students forgot 95% of what they learned after 6 months.

How can one debate foreign policy and geo-politics without an understanding of history and geography, aka context?

But back to Iran's clown -- perhaps Vinnie and the boys can arrange for him to be part of the new Twin Towers foundation, a nice cement bath????

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
The History Channel covers a multitude of sins... and topics. Last night I brushed up on the history of the Aryan Brotherhood and subterranean NYC; the latter included a discussion on laying the foundations of the twin towers (<- thread tie-in).

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
Bush says he thinks it would be disgusting for someone to use ground zero as the backdrop of a photo op and to use 9/11 for political mileage...

So banning this guy like he was Bin Laden himself must officially mean Iran did 9/11 huh?

Iraq. Iran. It's all like North and South Dakota anyway.

We already know Iran has WMD, an army as powerful as Hitler's and are on the threshold of taking over the world.

I just hope Dubya can get 3 or 4 aircraft carriers there in time

Just in case. Keep watching your shores. They're out there. In the mist. Waiting. Floating. Floating. And waiting. Stuff the gap under your doors with Duct tape, America, because those Iranians are sneaky bastards.

Hark! Is that a landing boat?

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
Hark you, Guildenstern

one of my favorite lines from Hamlet

no really. it's a real line

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Bush says he thinks it would be disgusting for someone to use ground zero as the backdrop of a photo op and to use 9/11 for political mileage...

So banning this guy like he was Bin Laden himself must officially mean Iran did 9/11 huh?
Go figure, even Hillary thought it was "unacceptable."

donroc said:
I've heard it said that there has to be a prominent armed conflict somewhere in the world every few years, just so people can get a refresher on their Geography...

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
Go figure, even Hillary thought it was "unacceptable."

That's nice, but I never give a shit about what Hillary says

I still remember her breezing into Manhattan for her 9/11 photo op in front of the rubble like a giddy Hollywood diva

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
you're pretty close to correct I think
Yeah, well the don't pay me the big bucks to be just another pretty face.

4E27.jpg