I started editing my third novel, and you know what, it doesn't suck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Editing my first novel took me 6 or 8 months. I was expecting the same marathon with novel number three, but I am a couple of chapters in, and it has only taken me a couple of hours. I think my writing may actually be getting better. Gadzooks!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
good for you, Prawn. Nothing better than seeing what you wrote doesn't suck.

I have to admit when I read the thread title I thought it said "I've started eating my third novel"

I'm not sure why. :)

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Editing my first novel took me 6 or 8 months. I was expecting the same marathon with novel number three, but I am a couple of chapters in, and it has only taken me a couple of hours. I think my writing may actually be getting better. Gadzooks!

Share some of that mojo, please :tongue

TheKnightWhoSaidNi

The taller one in the avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Good! I know the feeling, and it was with book 3 as well. Guess three's the lucky number. Then I go back to look at the first and I cry. A long road of editing and self doubt lies before me...

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'tis a joy to behold. All that work and you find that it doesn't suck.

Kudos.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score

Thats a pretty good day's work!

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
What a great feeling! Not sucking is actually one of the hardest accomplishments out there. Well done!

iamshaylen

Wow! Congrats!

I wish I could say the same thing with my marathon editing. Although, in fairness, this time round has been shorter than the last...

I'm still up to 5 months thus far and it's excruciating.

Good luck to you! :)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
It took me...let me count...

<Zombies, ringworlds, werewolves, zombies again, R.E.M, space ships, werewolves in cuba...>

Eight books to get a book I still think is good!

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
I never said that it was good, much less that it was great fiction. I am currently happy to aspire to the level of not sucking.

I have been working on it an hour or two per day for the past week, and I am about 1/3 of the way though the first edit. Three weeks for the first edit is astounding since it took three months for the first edit of my first book. I think that as I am writing, I am forseeing many of the problems that I used to have to hunt for. I am either fixing them, or leaving myself a breadcrumb <Make sure he knows about Linda's death here.> as I go, so the editing is easier than last time.

This is my third novel. If I can climb out of the suckage stage in the first edit, I will have that much more time to polish it and make it shine. One day, if I write a zillion novels, the first draft might just come out already more or less polished! Zounds!

P.S. Am I allowed to say that storygirl is hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.