Banned
Reaction score
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aVgb1aMzQSQY&refer=canada

The Canadian dollar in 2000, the year your chimp in chief was given power:

.4955 cents on the US dollar

The Canadian dollar this very minute:

.9863 cents on the US dollar

The last time I checked, about two months ago we were 96 cents

The last time a fellow writer from the US made fun of the Canadian dollar in my presence:

2003. Billythrilly

62yczd1.jpg

I had a hobby business selling vintage ephemera to US buyers in American dollars on Ebay from '99 to '04. I used to make $1500 - 2000 dollars a month at it. The steadily plummetting US dollar made it not worth the time and effort anymore. I was quite happy having our dollar worth shit. So I'm not exactly gloating here.

And I really miss all that good natured joshin' about how Canada was America's bitch economy wise

How about one for old time's sake, billy?

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the dollar take another plunge today. I posted an article about it on the Greenspan thread. I admire your tenacity, BP, but about the only thing the Neocons are gonna say is "Go George!!"

The facts regarding the economy are not about to alter their opinion of him. Sorry.

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
I saw the dollar take another plunge today. I posted an article about it on the Greenspan thread. I admire your tenacity, BP, but about the only thing the Neocons are gonna say is "Go George!!"

The facts regarding the economy are not about to alter their opinion of him. Sorry.

Yeah. But you know how I love to try tunneling through solid rock with a louisville slugger

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. But you know how I love to try tunneling through solid rock with a louisville slugger

Yeah. . .lol. . you must. There're some hard heads around here.

Reaction score
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aVgb1aMzQSQY&refer=canada

The Canadian dollar in 2000, the year your chimp in chief was given power:

.4955 cents on the US dollar

The Canadian dollar this very minute:

.9863 cents on the US dollar

The last time I checked, about two months ago we were 96 cents

The last time a fellow writer from the US made fun of the Canadian dollar in my presence:

2003. Billythrilly

62yczd1.jpg

I had a hobby business selling vintage ephemera to US buyers in American dollars on Ebay from '99 to '04. I used to make $1500 - 2000 dollars a month at it. The steadily plummetting US dollar made it not worth the time and effort anymore. I was quite happy having our dollar worth shit. So I'm not exactly gloating here.

And I really miss all that good natured joshin' about how Canada was America's bitch economy wise

How about one for old time's sake, billy?

Canada feeds off us.

No us. No you.

No you. We're fine.

'Nuff said.

canada.jpg

Reaction score
To this day, I don't understand nor care about plunging dollars or not plunging dollars.

I buy American products with American dollars.

All I care about is American inflation which George Bush has kept at a historically low number throughout his entire Presidency.

So...Canadians can buy more U.S. crap than before and we can buy less Canadian crap if I go to Canada?

Uh...yeah...could care less.

Thank you.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
To this day, I don't understand nor care about plunging dollars or not plunging dollars.

Well, see, there's your problem right there. Better start asking any living elderly relatives about what living in the Great Depression was like, because I can guarantee you, that's what we're headed for as the dollar drops in value. Or even ask an elderly German that remembers the fall in value of the mark in the years before Hitler came to power.

:ROFL: I think you'll be hard-pressed to find any "American-made" products these days, especially in clothing and kid's toys.

Plus, Bush has not kept inflation down. It's actually going up, and not in a good way.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

I bet my cats you don't have clue number one where most of the products you buy originate, and especially where the raw materials or ingredients or components for most of the products you buy originate. That computer, for instance, the one you dispatch all your wisdom from, where was it assembled? Where were the chips/boards/peripherals made? Your car? The gas that fuels your car?

Xenophobia R Us.

caw

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dollar Drops to Record Low Versus Euro as Fed Cuts Half Point

By Min Zeng and Bo Nielsen

Sept. 18 (Bloomberg) -- The dollar fell to a record low against the euro after the Federal Reserve cut its benchmark interest rate by a half-percentage point to 4.75 percent, the first reduction since 2003.

The Dollar Index against six other major currencies sank to the lowest since September 1992 after the Fed lowered its target rate for overnight loans between banks by the most since November 2002 on concern that the worst housing slump in 16 years and increased borrowing costs for companies may threaten economic growth. Most analysts predicted only a quarter-point cut. . . . http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...refer=currency

Reaction score
I bet my cats you don't have clue number one where most of the products you buy originate, and especially where the raw materials or ingredients or components for most of the products you buy originate. That computer, for instance, the one you dispatch all your wisdom from, where was it assembled? Where were the chips/boards/peripherals made? Your car? The gas that fuels your car?

Xenophobia R Us.

caw

I amend my statement. I buy them in America. So i don't care what our dollar is worth is offshoot American countries like Canada.

Everything has stayed the same price due to low inflation.

Thank you, W.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Reaction score
No need to, Billy. Not here, anyway.

Thank you.

That's what I thought.

All I care about is that in 2004 before I moved to L.A., a large spare ribs at the local Chinese restaurant was $9.50.

And now in 2007, moving back to NY, I walk in to the local Chinese restaurant and my large spareribs is $9.50.

The American dollar is worth the same in America.

And that's all I care about.

Sorry.

:Shrug:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it was protect the dollar (short view) vs. protect the market (long view). now many will argue that this is the fat cats of wall street getting rich, but the fact of the matter is that it's beneficial for young homebuyers, homeowners who need home equity loans and the 401ks of millions of hardworking and retired people.

i now yield the floor to the usual suspects of the chicken little brigade to tell me all about the impending 21st century dustbowls and breadlines.

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you.

That's what I thought.

All I care about is that in 2004 before I moved to L.A., a large spare ribs at the local Chinese restaurant was $9.50.

And now in 2007, moving back to NY, I walk in to the local Chinese restaurant and my large spareribs is $9.50.

The American dollar is worth the same in America.

And that's all I care about.

Sorry.

:Shrug:

dance, billy, dance

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
it was protect the dollar (short view) vs. protect the market (long view). now many will argue that this is the fat cats of wall street getting rich, but the fact of the matter is that it's beneficial for young homebuyers, homeowners who need home equity loans and the 401ks of millions of hardworking and retired people.

i now yield the floor to the usual suspects of the chicken little brigade to tell me all about the impending 21st century dustbowls and breadlines.

idle drill bits gather no rust

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
Oh wait. Hold on.

That should be spinning drill bits gather no rust

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
lol. yeah, rob, let's go to Wikipedia for all our accurate facts

That's fuckin' hilarious

http://www.fin.gc.ca/efa/efa2000_3e.html

http://www.xe.com/ucc/
Not as hilarious as your quoted 2000 exchange rate. Where did that come from? Don't tell me--let me guess.

And I don't go to Wiki to check facts, only to provide a handy source for things I already know. And the graph I linked to shows what I already know:

1) The low for the Canadian dollar v. the USD occurred after "the Chimp" took office, like in 2002.

2) It's been higher than the dollar, before. And it's been quite low, before.

3) That period where it remained quite low v. the USD came on the heels of the dot com bubble. And the spurt upward came on the heels of that bubble bursting.

4) And none of this means what you and BoP hope it means, anyway. But knock yourselves out. You really are a hoot.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Beneficial to young homebuyers, my ass. They couldn't afford homes before; they can't now, but they think they can afford all that debt, so yes, they'll borrow and the homeowners will take out home equity loans and the former will boost the housing market and the latter will take all that equity and throw it away on crap to keep the economy afloat for a few more months. And when there's nothing more the feds can do, when inflation skyrockets and the unemployment lines start and these kids can't pay, it's them that will lose everything, but not those fat cats that invested poorly in those rocky Hedge Funds. They'll invest again only this time, they'll pull out weeks before the bottom hits.

How could anybody think this is sound fiscal policy?

Last edited: