Fox cut Sally Field's acceptance speech

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
She shouldn't have used the word "God."

"And, let's face it, if the mothers ruled the war, there would be no God Damn wars in the first place," Field said, but Fox cut away for the rest of her comment to show a round ball by the ceiling.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
who cares what sally field says. she's an actress. she should act. this whole actors-have-voices shit is getting very tiring.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
if she wants to make a point without being censored, she needs to watch her goddamn mouth on network TV, yes?

incidentally, my understanding is that they cut kathy griffin's whole "suck it, jesus" acceptance speech as well. i hope this will spare the poor woman the fatwa that surely would have come from the religious right, as they are every bit as bad (allegedly), if not worse, than the militant muslims when it comes to condemning to death those who disparage their messiahs.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
But. I. Don't. Care. About. Sally. Field's. Politics.

Why must I listen to such crap during an awards show? Well, actually, I don't listen. Or watch.

So? That's the reason to CUT? What's next? If Fox thinks mentioning your "homosexual partner" is offensive, they're going to cut David Hyde Pierce's speech, too?

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
So? That's the reason to CUT? What's next? If Fox thinks mentioning your "homosexual partner" is offensive, they're going to cut David Hyde Pierce's speech, too?

Ew. David is a homosexual. Gross. Cut it!

ETA: of course, I'm kidding...I just pictured the outpouring of angst over this post.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
who cares what sally field says. she's an actress. she should act. this whole actors-have-voices shit is getting very tiring.

Yeah. And the whole writer thing, too. Writers should just write, and should get out of politics, as well. In fact, I can't imagine anyone want to talk about politics at all. Leave that to those qualified, like Larry Craig.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realize Hugh Laurie was English until I saw him on the Emmy's.

It was weird like watching that Chinese comedian with the southern accent. :)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yeah. And the whole writer thing, too. Writers should just write, and should get out of politics, as well. In fact, I can't imagine anyone want to talk about politics at all. Leave that to those qualified, like Larry Craig.

which is why i dont talk politics. i don't even know who's running my country and im fine with that.

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
I agree that it's very self-indulgent to Make A Statement like that at an awards show. You might as well get down on your hands and knees and implore the audience to like you.

Really, really like you!

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Ottis Redding

Prime Minister Redding what do you think of the present state of politics in your country?

Shut the fuck up I am dead-YYYYEEEEEEOOOOOOWWWWW! Ask John why don't cha sucka?

Well Ottis-er-um-both you and John are quite dead as you point out. Would you like to comment on that at least?

Sally Field's MAMMA carries an M16-what the hell else you wanna know-SSSUUUUCCCKKKKKAAAA?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I agree that it's very self-indulgent to Make A Statement like that at an awards show. You might as well get down on your hands and knees and implore the audience to like you.

Really, really like you!

Well, let the audience decides -- if Sally Field doesn't want "you" to really like her, it's her choice. It's a free speech. :) Seriously, what's next? If they decide that David Hyde Pierce thanking his partner is self-indulgent? Or Shia LeBouf saying he's a Jew every two minutes? Or Jon Stewart can't tell his often-political jokes anymore?

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

That would be a separate situation. I don't think FOX should have to air everything actors say in their acceptance speeches.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
go home, lobster.

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
Well, let the audience decides -- if Sally Field doesn't want "you" to really like her, it's her choice. It's a free speech. :) Seriously, what's next? If they decide that David Hyde Pierce thanking his partner is self-indulgent? Or Shia LeBouf saying he's a Jew every two minutes?

I was just agreeing that it's a bit silly to bring politics into such a slight, showy atmosphere. To me, it's jarring to hear someone in a sequined dress, with a trophy in hand, try to be impart a lesson of any kind. I didn't say they should have censored it, or that people don't have the right to be self-indulgent. What else do we expect from Hollywood? ;)