Clinton proposes universal health care - again.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I feel kind of embarrassed posting this--not being American and all--but here goes.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/us/politics/16clinton.html?_r=1&ref=health&oref=slogin

WASHINGTON, Sept. 15 — Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton on Monday will lay out a plan to secure health insurance for all Americans while severely limiting the ability of insurers to deny coverage or charge higher premiums to people with chronic illnesses and other medical problems, her aides and advisers say.

Mrs. Clinton’s purpose, they said, is not only to cover the 47 million people who are uninsured but to improve the quality of health care and make insurance more affordable for those who already have it.
The goal of Mrs. Clinton’s plan, to be outlined in a speech in Des Moines, is similar to that of the ill-fated plan that she and President Bill Clinton pushed in 1993 and 1994.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
I'm on the Redneck Health Care Plan. It consists of never getting sick, and never going to the hospital if you are sick. I'd love to believe the USA can join the rest of the world in making sure its citizens can go to the hospital, but I've never seen such a thing in my long life, so you'll just have to forgive me for being jaded.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why she bothers. She isn't going to win the election.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Heh...yeah. That's what I'm afraid of.

article snip said:
Mrs. Clinton’s role as architect and champion of the plan to remake the nation’s health care system in 1993 and 1994 is still hotly debated.

In an essay posted Friday on the Web site of The American Prospect, Paul Starr, who was a senior adviser at the White House in 1993, said that Bill Clinton had “settled on the basic model for reform” before he took office. Mrs. Clinton’s role was “not to choose a policy, but to develop the one that the president had already adopted,” said Mr. Starr, a Princeton professor and co-founder of The American Prospect, a liberal journal.

We'll end up with a meddling first husband, whom we didn't vote for as President this time.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go Hillary!!

She's got her priorities straight: taking care of Americans, all of them. She's a courageous leader. Good for her.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
No thanks, BoP. I don't need more government sticking their fingers in my business. It's the Patriot Act on a different level. No good will come from it, in the end.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No thanks, BoP. I don't need more government sticking their fingers in my business. It's the Patriot Act on a different level. No good will come from it, in the end.

Well I hate the Patriot Act, and apparently, it's not going away any time soon. And just for once, I'd like to see my taxes go to something that actually benefits the majority of Americans instead of a few greedy CEO's.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
From the verbiage, it almost sounds like you just had to go through a prostate exam recently... :)

I agree. Getting the government involved will only make things worse...it sounds good and makes people feel better about themselves to think that everyone will have health care coverage, but the reality will be far different than the dream.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Well I hate the Patriot Act, and apparently, it's not going away any time soon. And just for once, I'd like to see my taxes go to something that actually benefits the majority of Americans instead of a few greedy CEO's.
But your taxes will still go to the latter...because they'll just rob from the "universal health care fund" like they do with Social Security.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score

If the government has to get involved I'd prefer to see some sort of guidelines put in place, defining the intended market, rather than regulating it. Tax credits should be put into place for the insurance and medical providers to encourage the system to become more efficient and fair, not more expensive to the end user.

Except the banking and credit markets. Those need a vast overhaul of regulation to thwart greed. Really, I'm getting .25% on a savings account, my checking account fee went from $1 to $3 per month, and I'm getting 2.25% on my IRA. That's basic robbery on the banks part especially at the rates they charge for loans.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Why do Americans have this attitude?

How can people in the USA be in favour of the US government getting involved in other people's countries, when they don't even trust it to run their own?

Mac

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net

How can people in the USA be in favour of the US government getting involved in other people's countries, when they don't even trust it to run their own?

Mac

I don't understand it much, either and I'm an American. :p Sad, isn't it?

Personally, I think Clinton's plan isn't sound. It still makes private insurers the ones to provide the healthcare. Sorry, Mrs. Clinton, but healthcare is a RIGHT and should not be for profit, ever.

But seeing as she's been bought off by the healthcare industry and Big Pharma, I can't say I'm surprised.

I like Edwards' plan better; it forces private insurers to compete with Medicare/Medicaid and slowly but surely starves em off.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

We trust it--more or less--to run our country, just not to run every aspect of our lives.

Why do non-Americans think liberty is so passe?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
We trust it--more or less--to run our country, just not to run every aspect of our lives.

Why do non-Americans think liberty is so passe?

I still don't understand what not having health coverage has to do with liberty. I know, you've tried to explain it again and again but I still don't get it...

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
I still don't understand what not having health coverage has to do with liberty. I know, you've tried to explain it again and again but I still don't get it...

I don't get it either, and I live in the same country with these people.

I mean, doesn't "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" include having decent healthcare and economic security?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
There's healthcare and there's health insurance--two different things.

As I've said, I think having free access to emergency/ambulatory care is fine. And I think having some free/less expensive healthcare for people with financial needs is fine, like Medicare and Medicaid (though both have many problems right now--and why no one in D.C. would like to address these problems is beyond me).

And I think certain government actions and inactions have allowed healthcare costs to spiral well above what they should be, so here's another great place for lawmakers to do their job.

But mandating health insurance is 1) silly, as insurance must be a choice if it is to be insurance and 2) an encroachment on liberty as it narrows the range of choices with regard to service and with regard to how one chooses to dispose of one's own property (money).

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get it either, and I live in the same country with these people.

I mean, doesn't "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" include having decent healthcare and economic security?
No, actually, it doesn't. Nowhere in that quote does it state, or even imply, that life would be easy, or free from disease, death, or accidental dismemberment. Liberty constrained is not liberty. And there is no guarantee that by pursuing happiness you will reach it.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Mac

LOL!! This post gets the wisest post of the month - maybe even the year - award!!

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
No, actually, it doesn't. Nowhere in that quote does it state, or even imply, that life would be easy, or free from disease, death, or accidental dismemberment. Liberty constrained is not liberty. And there is no guarantee that by pursuing happiness you will reach it.

I would like to think that the "life' part of the quote would mean that your needs in terms of proper care once you get sick or disabled are covered.

And with "liberty", you are free not to worry about going bankrupt when paying off the medical bills that incurred while you were undergoing cancer treatment.

And with "happiness", you're alive and well because you were able to catch the cancer early with preventative care.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
I would like to think that the "life' part of the quote would mean that your needs in terms of proper care once you get sick or disabled are covered.

And with "liberty", you are free not to worry about going bankrupt when paying off the medical bills that incurred while you were undergoing cancer treatment.

And with "happiness", you're alive and well because you were able to catch the cancer early with preventative care.

I thought the 'life, liberty and pursuit of happiness' was basically: you have the right to exist, the freedom to choose how you exist as long as your choices don't greatly detriment the choices of others, and the ability to pursue happiness with no guarantee that you'd ever find it. That may not seem 'fair' but to badly misquote The Princess Bride, Life isn't fair...anyone that tells you differently is selling you something...

Take care all ('cause going to the hospital is too darn expensive - even with insurance!)