OOOH! The dilemma!

The Sox play the yanks tonight, but we have dinner plans with friends! What to do?

• Blow off dinner and watch the Red Sox

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Go out to dinner, set the DVR and hope for the best

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Have them come here and shove everything in the closet...or under tarps

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Go to dinner and then fake a migraine! I'll only miss one and a half innings.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Orlando Bloom covered in egg plant (watching the Red Sox)

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Some friends of my husband from back in his college days at Dartmouth have moved here. They are a great couple and have a three year old son that gets along famously with our two year old daughter (who is doing very well -- cross thread about her seizures :cry:).

The wife is a lot of fun and she and I get along very well. I'm a bit of a recluse, hermit writer, and it's good for me to be social. Her husband travels frequently and he is home tonight and then leaves for Germany on Sunday.

Here's the problem : They want to get together for dinner tonight. Great! Awesome...oooh wait a minute. I didn't think before I accepted...poop loops!!!

The first game of a three game stand against the hated Yankees in Fenway is tonight. Aw man! I love my RED SOX!!!! I like the Malnatis. Hmmmm.

I could have them over here for dinner, but that would mean I would have to detox the house first. We've got cats and her husband is allergic, I have a two year old who loves to finger paint with coolwhip, we are doing a bunch of house projects and stuff is piled everywhere. I just don't have it in me to clean for three hours, then cook!

I'm a real time kinda game watcher -- the dvr doesn't let me work my superstitious mojo (you know...legs crossed when the pitcher is up, fingers crossed when Lugo is at bat, giving Jeter the finger to make him swing at air ;) ).

I love all sports and have become a disciple of the church of baseball.

What to do...what to do! My hubby's friends like baseball, I think.

Last edited:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Sports Bar and a babysitter!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
It's only Boston.

Oh. Wait. You said they're playing the Stankees.

Okay then. Here's what you do. Fake a death. Or cause a death. You've obviously got to do something to get out of this obligation.

Go Detroit Tigers. :D

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Sports Bar and a babysitter!
Good plan! Tell them you forgot that you made a commitment with friends to meet at a sports bar to watch the Red Sox game. You completely forgot and hate to cancel at the last minute, so would they mind going to the bar to watch the game and your husband will pay for their dinner and drinks. :D When they ask if you're friends are coming, act mad, order another drink and complain that they stood you up.

Foinah

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
It's only Boston.

Oh. Wait. You said they're playing the Stankees.

Okay then. Here's what you do. Fake a death. Or cause a death. You've obviously got to do something to get out of this obligation.

Go Detroit Tigers. :D

Excellent. I like Detroit when they beat the spanks. Other than that... ;)

As for the babysitter thing...not an option (unfortunately!), so the sports bar thing is right out.

I wonder if I could fake a flesh wound? I could always use ketchup...

Trainofthought...that's a great idea.

Last edited:

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A dork who's buying the drinks tonight. I'd head out to a sports bar tonight too, if my Mariners hadn't already gone tits up.

Foinah

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
A dork who's buying the drinks tonight. I'd head out to a sports bar tonight too, if my Mariners hadn't already gone tits up.

They were soooo close, too. What are they, like nine games back now? I was hoping for them to do well.

I have two favorite teams : The Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yanks.

Hooray for Toronto last night!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
games are games. life is life. you decide.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
lol. Sappy yes. I have the same dilemma often. I'm a hockey nut. I am a habs fan and my son a leafs fan. We try to watch every one we can...but if life gets in the way, I for one choose life every time. I would go out and enjoy the night and listen to the results or read them in the paper.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's no crying in baseball! Unless it's September, and you're a Mariners fan.

ETA: I do agree w/Kevin. I never let tv or sports get in the way of spending time with real people. That's why God invented the DVR.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
It's The Red Sox, people. I mean...sorry. But the game's going to be about fifteen minutes long, isn't it? And that's just before someone decides to go with a mercy rule?

They have at least eighty more years before they need to start thinking about winning a World Series again, anyway.

(Oh yeah, Pete talks a big game, but he's a Baltimore Orioles fan, so what does he know)

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
There's no crying in baseball! Unless it's September, and you're a Mariners fan.

ETA: I do agree w/Kevin. I never let tv or sports get in the way of spending time with real people. That's why God invented the DVR.

kind of begs the question,.....are you people real?

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I like playing baseball. I love it.

I like going to baseball games. I think that's a blast too.

Watching it just seems less fun. I never quite got the hang of it. (likewise any sport)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm with Pee on this one...as much as I hate to admit it...

except that I like watching hockey on TV. Nothing is lost there. Watching baseball on TV is like watching paint dry.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com

There is crying in baseball when the champagne drips in your eyes. Gosh, Muse, have a heart.

I ALWAYS let books and alone time get in the way of spending time with real people. That's why God invented the apple slicer.

Foinah

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!!!!! Bite your tongue, Peedee!
Thems is fightin' words. OOh yeah. Orioles fan, eh? *snickers into hand* Whatever, Skippy. Glad Millar is working out for you guys. Gee, with the combo of Mora and Tejada...you'd think the Orioles would have done something over the last few years.

Usually I agree about the life part. But it's a SOX/Yankees game! The last three games of the regular season!!! Tomorrow is a day game on Fox, and because I'm on the west coast I'll probably get the Arizona game instead.

I'm thinking of going to dinner, but cutting it short. Hell, I might even be honest and say I just need to go home and see the game. If we two couples are going to be long term friends, they are just going to have to accept a certain amount of mania this time every year.

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
everready with natty little witticisms.