PDA

View Full Version : OOOH! The dilemma!

Foinah
09-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Some friends of my husband from back in his college days at Dartmouth have moved here. They are a great couple and have a three year old son that gets along famously with our two year old daughter (who is doing very well -- cross thread about her seizures :cry:).

The wife is a lot of fun and she and I get along very well. I'm a bit of a recluse, hermit writer, and it's good for me to be social. Her husband travels frequently and he is home tonight and then leaves for Germany on Sunday.

Here's the problem : They want to get together for dinner tonight. Great! Awesome...oooh wait a minute. I didn't think before I accepted...poop loops!!!

The first game of a three game stand against the hated Yankees in Fenway is tonight. Aw man! I love my RED SOX!!!! I like the Malnatis. Hmmmm.

I could have them over here for dinner, but that would mean I would have to detox the house first. We've got cats and her husband is allergic, I have a two year old who loves to finger paint with coolwhip, we are doing a bunch of house projects and stuff is piled everywhere. I just don't have it in me to clean for three hours, then cook!

I'm a real time kinda game watcher -- the dvr doesn't let me work my superstitious mojo (you know...legs crossed when the pitcher is up, fingers crossed when Lugo is at bat, giving Jeter the finger to make him swing at air ;) ).

I love all sports and have become a disciple of the church of baseball.

What to do...what to do! My hubby's friends like baseball, I think.

Siddow
09-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Sports Bar and a babysitter!

cray
09-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Sports Bar and a babysitter!

great idea. leave the wife and kids home and head to the bar with the babysitter. :tongue

Haggis
09-14-2007, 11:58 PM
It's only Boston.

Oh. Wait. You said they're playing the Stankees.

Okay then. Here's what you do. Fake a death. Or cause a death. You've obviously got to do something to get out of this obligation.

Go Detroit Tigers. :D

TrainofThought
09-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Sports Bar and a babysitter!Good plan! Tell them you forgot that you made a commitment with friends to meet at a sports bar to watch the Red Sox game. You completely forgot and hate to cancel at the last minute, so would they mind going to the bar to watch the game and your husband will pay for their dinner and drinks. :D When they ask if you're friends are coming, act mad, order another drink and complain that they stood you up.

Foinah
09-15-2007, 12:02 AM
great idea. leave the wife and kids home and head to the bar with the babysitter. :tongue

Ummm, hello. I'm the wife.

Foinah
09-15-2007, 12:06 AM
It's only Boston.

Oh. Wait. You said they're playing the Stankees.

Okay then. Here's what you do. Fake a death. Or cause a death. You've obviously got to do something to get out of this obligation.

Go Detroit Tigers. :D

Excellent. I like Detroit when they beat the spanks. Other than that... ;)

As for the babysitter thing...not an option (unfortunately!), so the sports bar thing is right out.

I wonder if I could fake a flesh wound? I could always use ketchup...

Trainofthought...that's a great idea.

cray
09-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Ummm, hello. I'm the wife.

:D heheheh, i know. i'm a dork.

MidnightMuse
09-15-2007, 12:11 AM
A dork who's buying the drinks tonight. I'd head out to a sports bar tonight too, if my Mariners hadn't already gone tits up.

Foinah
09-15-2007, 12:13 AM
A dork who's buying the drinks tonight. I'd head out to a sports bar tonight too, if my Mariners hadn't already gone tits up.

They were soooo close, too. What are they, like nine games back now? I was hoping for them to do well.

I have two favorite teams : The Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yanks.

Hooray for Toronto last night!

KTC
09-15-2007, 12:14 AM
games are games. life is life. you decide.

cray
09-15-2007, 12:15 AM

sheeese, one birthday thread and he goes all sappy on us :D

Foinah
09-15-2007, 12:15 AM

Baseball is life, life is pain.

and no...it's not just a game. Sheesh!

KTC
09-15-2007, 12:17 AM
lol. Sappy yes. I have the same dilemma often. I'm a hockey nut. I am a habs fan and my son a leafs fan. We try to watch every one we can...but if life gets in the way, I for one choose life every time. I would go out and enjoy the night and listen to the results or read them in the paper.

MidnightMuse
09-15-2007, 12:18 AM
There's no crying in baseball! Unless it's September, and you're a Mariners fan.

ETA: I do agree w/Kevin. I never let tv or sports get in the way of spending time with real people. That's why God invented the DVR.

PeeDee
09-15-2007, 12:20 AM
It's The Red Sox, people. I mean...sorry. But the game's going to be about fifteen minutes long, isn't it? And that's just before someone decides to go with a mercy rule?

They have at least eighty more years before they need to start thinking about winning a World Series again, anyway.

(Oh yeah, Pete talks a big game, but he's a Baltimore Orioles fan, so what does he know)

cray
09-15-2007, 12:21 AM
There's no crying in baseball! Unless it's September, and you're a Mariners fan.

ETA: I do agree w/Kevin. I never let tv or sports get in the way of spending time with real people. That's why God invented the DVR.

kind of begs the question,.....are you people real?

PeeDee
09-15-2007, 12:24 AM
I like playing baseball. I love it.

I like going to baseball games. I think that's a blast too.

Watching it just seems less fun. I never quite got the hang of it. (likewise any sport)

KTC
09-15-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm with Pee on this one...as much as I hate to admit it...

except that I like watching hockey on TV. Nothing is lost there. Watching baseball on TV is like watching paint dry.

TrainofThought
09-15-2007, 12:25 AM

ETA: I do agree w/Kevin. I never let tv or sports get in the way of spending time with real people. That's why God invented the DVR.There is crying in baseball when the champagne drips in your eyes. Gosh, Muse, have a heart.

I ALWAYS let books and alone time get in the way of spending time with real people. That's why God invented the apple slicer.

Foinah
09-15-2007, 12:26 AM
WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!!!!! Bite your tongue, Peedee!
Thems is fightin' words. OOh yeah. Orioles fan, eh? *snickers into hand* Whatever, Skippy. Glad Millar is working out for you guys. Gee, with the combo of Mora and Tejada...you'd think the Orioles would have done something over the last few years.

Usually I agree about the life part. But it's a SOX/Yankees game! The last three games of the regular season!!! Tomorrow is a day game on Fox, and because I'm on the west coast I'll probably get the Arizona game instead.

I'm thinking of going to dinner, but cutting it short. Hell, I might even be honest and say I just need to go home and see the game. If we two couples are going to be long term friends, they are just going to have to accept a certain amount of mania this time every year.

KTC
09-15-2007, 12:27 AM
kind of begs the question,.....are you people real?

You're a nasty little battery, aren't you! (-;

MidnightMuse
09-15-2007, 12:29 AM
He's not all bad, just a little corroded.

cray
09-15-2007, 12:29 AM
He's not all bad, just a little corroded.

*groan*

corrupted, maybe

KTC
09-15-2007, 12:30 AM
everready with natty little witticisms.

TrainofThought
09-15-2007, 12:34 AM
I'm thinking of going to dinner, but cutting it short. Hell, I might even be honest and say I just need to go home and see the game. If we two couples are going to be long term friends, they are just going to have to accept a certain amount of mania this time every year.Here's another plan that might work for you. Give your neighbors money for dinner and borrow their house (that takes care of cleaning) and just use whatever foods they have in the kitchen for dinner (Scrambled Eggs with Fries is fine). Before leaving your house, put the game on the big screen TV and watch it through the window while you cook and serve the guests.

Williebee
09-15-2007, 12:36 AM
true friends wouldn't mind if you cancelled.
of course true friends who are sox fans aren't going to show anyway.

Foinah
09-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Here's another plan that might work for you. Give your neighbors money for dinner and borrow their house (that takes care of cleaning) and just use whatever foods they have in the kitchen for dinner (Scrambled Eggs with Fries is fine). Before leaving your house, put the game on the big screen TV and watch it through the window while you cook and serve the guests.

That's a great one!!! :roll:

JLCwrites
09-15-2007, 12:38 AM
Thems is fightin' words. OOh yeah. Orioles fan, eh? *snickers into hand* Whatever, Skippy. Glad Millar is working out for you guys. Gee, with the combo of Mora and Tejada...you'd think the Orioles would have done something over the last few years.

Usually I agree about the life part. But it's a SOX/Yankees game! The last three games of the regular season!!! Tomorrow is a day game on Fox, and because I'm on the west coast I'll probably get the Arizona game instead.

I'm thinking of going to dinner, but cutting it short. Hell, I might even be honest and say I just need to go home and see the game. If we two couples are going to be long term friends, they are just going to have to accept a certain amount of mania this time every year.

Are there any sports bars in your area that allow kids? (We have a couple of brewery pubs here that have a kid area with toys.)

Also, could you ask them to join you to watch the game at your place after dinner? (yes, this means detoxing the house of cats, but this way you don't need to prepare dinner.)

Mr. Fix
09-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Wait, what is that coming out of the west? could it be? YES! it's the...
http://dailynews.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?userphoto=0&image=15851920&thispage=1

Caption to the photo; "What the hell was I thinking? Oh yeah, did I leave the oven on, 'cause it sure is hot over this plate."

DeleyanLee
09-15-2007, 12:41 AM
You guys are talking sports--right?

PeeDee
09-15-2007, 12:41 AM

That was funny, because I think it was a good-natured jab at me and the Orioles, but...I have zero idea what that meant. It was like a different language altogether. ;)

Monkey
09-15-2007, 12:44 AM
Good friends, especially good friends with a small child, shouldn't get *too* freaked out by a messy house.

I say, put the crud under tarps if necessary, change your air filters and get up what cat-hair you can, and invite your friends over.

If that won't work, maybe there's a family-friendly place nearby that has a TV and wouldn't mind showing the game. Outback Steakhouse is a good example...at least around here, they have a no smoking "sports bar" section.

Foinah
09-15-2007, 12:45 AM
Mr. Fix, you do know that was last year, right? And last night the A's lost to the Orioles. Yup, the Orioles.

Foinah
09-15-2007, 12:48 AM
Thanks everyone! Great suggestions all around.

Mr. Fix
09-15-2007, 01:45 AM
Mr. Fix, you do know that was last year, right? And last night the A's lost to the Orioles. Yup, the Orioles.

If you're looking to the future, and you're thinking "we'll get you next year Angels!" then yeah, that was last year when the Angels won their second World Series.:wag:

Mela
09-15-2007, 01:46 AM
Hey! Yankee fan here!!! No self-respecting fan of the BoSox or Yanks would give up a late season match - Yanks are what, 5 games out behind Boston, 2 game lead in the Wild?
I say, at 4:10 in the p.m., - that's eastern standard time - having come late to this thread and perhaps no good to you now anyway, politely say, you've moved here, we have all the time in the world to get together. Let's do it some other night.
Go Yankees!

Foinah
09-15-2007, 02:34 AM
Hey! Yankee fan here!!! No self-respecting fan of the BoSox or Yanks would give up a late season match - Yanks are what, 5 games out behind Boston, 2 game lead in the Wild?
I say, at 4:10 in the p.m., - that's eastern standard time - having come late to this thread and perhaps no good to you now anyway, politely say, you've moved here, we have all the time in the world to get together. Let's do it some other night.
Go Yankees!

Um, 5.5 back actually ;)

Two hours to game time...
I'll have to sacrifice two innings to the gods. I tried to wriggle out of it, but no go. I'll probably only miss the middle two (5 and 6). I think the game is on ESPN also...maybe the pub will have a TV.

Foinah
09-15-2007, 04:41 AM
GAME TIME!!!:snoopy:

Haggis
09-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Last I checked, you were up 5 - 1. Tigers are up 4 - 2. Life is good. For now.

Foinah
09-15-2007, 09:45 PM
$$@@***&&&%&^%%$!!!!!!!!!

(Yes, that's swearing.)

So the little brew pub we went to ended up having a telly. Who woulda thunk it? The place is one of the McMennamin's pubs (locals will know) and was a bit "Hippy-ish".

I was shocked to see the game on! Hooray!!! Then it came time to leave and we got home...and the Red Sox suffered a cranial rectal inversion. Damn you, Okajima!!!! We had this in the bag~!!!

It was actually my fault and I accept it whole-heartedly. You see, the mojo was working in the pub booth. Yup. Uh huh. I threw a spanner in the works by moving during an inning. I should have waited. Mea Culpa. I am most highly sorry for having offended thee, Red Sox Nation.

Right. So. On to the next game. We are still ahead ;)

Haggis
09-15-2007, 09:53 PM
$$@@***&&&%&^%%$!!!!!!!!!

(Yes, that's swearing.)

So the little brew pub we went to ended up having a telly. Who woulda thunk it? The place is one of the McMennamin's pubs (locals will know) and was a bit "Hippy-ish".

I was shocked to see the game on! Hooray!!! Then it came time to leave and we got home...and the Red Sox suffered a cranial rectal inversion. Damn you, Okajima!!!! We had this in the bag~!!!

It was actually my fault and I accept it whole-heartedly. You see, the mojo was working in the pub booth. Yup. Uh huh. I threw a spanner in the works by moving during an inning. I should have waited. Mea Culpa. I am most highly sorry for having offended thee, Red Sox Nation.

Right. So. On to the next game. We are still ahead ;)

Oh, I so do not like your team right now. The Tigers did their part. Oh, why did you let me down? Why did you have to move in the middle of an inning? It's clearly your fault.

sassandgroove
09-16-2007, 04:59 AM
see i do miss all the good polls. glad you got your friends and the game together. :D

Foinah
09-16-2007, 05:18 AM
Today...oh today! So much better! That's the way to do it, me boys! Back to 5.5 and beyond ;)

Haggis...3 games back -- could be 2.5! Pudge just hit a homer (I think), but I'm not going to jinx the game for you. I'll just say GOOD LUCK TIGERS! We'd rather have you guys in the run than the evil empire any day.

Cha cha cha.

Haggis
09-16-2007, 08:03 AM
You da wom... gir...sock pupp...muppet, Fo! Way to get those guys in line. I'm proud of you. Keep up the fire.

Foinah
09-17-2007, 10:01 AM
well...that sucked.

I have to go slam my head in a door now.

sadron
09-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Dinner and recorder on. ^_^

Cassiopeia
09-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Ditch 'em.

Haggis
09-17-2007, 04:42 PM
well...that sucked.

I have to go slam my head in a door now.

*sigh* A sweep would have been great. 2 out of 3 would have been just fine. But...

Auugghh.

sassandgroove
09-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Hey Foinah, I was wondering what you thought of the movie FeverPitch.

Foinah
09-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Hey Foinah, I was wondering what you thought of the movie FeverPitch.

It was okay. It hit the nail on the head regarding mania, though.

The Farrely brothers did jinx the game in which they had the Sox unfurl the opening day banner again to pretend it was opening day. The Sox had lost that game to Toronto (if memory serves...) and sure enough, they LOST AGAIN!!!!!!!! It pissed me off during the season to see cameras getting in the way in the stands, fawning all over Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore...

That was an absolutely mental season! I did get choked up (again!!!) when the Red Sox won at the end...(screw Jimmy and Drew ;) )

For the record, I WOULD NEVER give up season tickets. NEVER! Anyone who would make me do that, well, isn't worth my time.

I'm the first to admit that I get a little wound up over Sox games. And yes there are certain rituals, positions, superstitious little quirks during games.
If they are pitching, the cap must be worn forwards, hitting it's backwards. If your legs are crossed when the Sox get on a hot streak, then they must stay crossed. Your beer must stay on the arm rest if the Sox take off when you set it down.
I could go on and on, but I have the feeling you all would think I'm a bit off...

My hubby can be worse than me! Oh, our poor daughter. I hope for teenage rebellion she doesn't try and become a yanks fan! That could get ugly. We might be tolerant and open-minded if she decided to date a yanks fan. I have yankee fans as friends -- they aren't close friends, oh no! You can't trust a yankee fan (hahaha...*sigh*) -- so I'm well rounded.

I have to go now. I just read through this post and I realize I am a bit off (and I'm not even from Boston!). I'm still disgusted about last night's game, too.

Bah. Bleh.

Sorry Haggis. I tried. Really. The Tigers have got to make it on their own. My Red Sox mojo failed me. The magic number is nine, though. NY plays Baltimore next. Let's hope the Orioles can pull this series out of their butts.

sassandgroove
09-17-2007, 11:23 PM
My hubby didn't want to see Fever Pitch becuase he was sure it was going to be all about how men suck and should change, blah blah. But It turned out he said it was "ok" when he saw it on TV. I told him, no, see the woman has to figure out that she works to hard and while she is askign him to make room in his life for her, she also has to make room in her life for him. This includes going to games. :D My hubby has to make room in his life via putting down a game controller and making space for my things among his action figures. :D:D