Flight 77

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I watched a BBC/ZDF joint production last night which showed footage of the small hole apparently left by Flight 77 in the Pentagon - too small for the plane. And no wreckage found.

This is probably old hat to you over there but I am really perplexed - what happened? Google only coughed up stuff like this.

(edited to change the link)
This is so weird; or is there in fact an explanation?

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
A common conspiracy theory topic.

I know people who were in DC, who saw the plane. I believe them.

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
The Popular Mechanics article here should answer your question about the size of the hole.

The short version: The Pentagon has five rings/walls with ring A being the inside wall and ring E being the outside wall. The "too small" hole in ring C was made by what remained of the plane after going through Rings E and D/.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I know, I read eyewitness accounts as well. But I still don't get why the hole is so small.

Building actually verrrrry strong. Wings didn't penetrate. 400+ MPH full of jet fuel will destroy a lot of an aluminum aircraft.

Head-on crashes of big jetliners at very high velocities leave surprisingly little physical wreckage. The nose-dive accidents of Boeing 737s outside Pittsburgh and Colorado Springs (owing to a subtly defective design of rudder-control mechanisms) in recent years is ample evidence of that.

caw

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
At the bottom of this page is a forensic model of the event. You need to click on the format you prefer, Windows Media or Quicktime. It seems to be a pretty good recreation of the event.
Thanks. It;s still loading...

Building actually verrrrry strong. Wings didn't penetrate. 400+ MPH full of jet fuel will destroy a lot of an aluminum aircraft.

Head-on crashes of big jetliners at very high velocities leave surprisingly little physical wreckage. The nose-dive accidents of Boeing 737s outside Pittsburgh and Colorado Springs (owing to a subtly defective design of rudder-control mechanisms) in recent years is ample evidence of that.

caw

That does make sense.

But then, what happened to the wings? Wouldn't they be left lying outside the building?

Note: I am not into the conspiracy theory. I just want to understand the mechanics of what really happened.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
But then, what happened to the wings? Wouldn't they be left lying outside the building?

At 400+ MPH, nothing would be lying outside the building. And, something that might surprise a lot of people, aluminum burns. Those wings are fuel tanks, and they were essentially full of jet fuel at the time of the crash.

caw

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
They're stored in a big hangar in area 51 under "w" for wings.

Os.

Be accurate. They're stored in a file folder marked W for wings, in the bottom drawer of a file cabinet in Area 51.

Because there wasn't enough left to warrant a big hanger.

Susan G.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Be accurate. They're stored in a file folder marked W for wings, in the bottom drawer of a file cabinet in Area 51.

With a sign which states: 'Beware of leopard'.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Yep, the Pentagon is immense, as in pre-WWII immense. They knew how to build 'em in those days. And for what it's worth, I have a buddy who was there that day, a full-bird colonel on TDY in the E-ring for two weeks. That morning he was just down the hall from the impact area (luckily for him, he'd just went down there to get some files; two of his junior officers weren't so lucky). So when some tinfoil hat yahoo trots out the usual conspiracy theory argle-bargle, he just rolls up his left pantleg and shows them the scars from the third-degree burns he recieved from the burning JP-1 fuel.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
This kooky conspiracy gets me. With the same breath they say that evidence points to a small plane, a missile, a military plane, and a jumbo jet of a different type.

WTF? Over.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I watched a BBC/ZDF joint production last night which showed footage of the small hole apparently left by Flight 77 in the Pentagon - too small for the plane. And no wreckage found.

This is probably old hat to you over there but I am really perplexed - what happened? Google only coughed up stuff like this.

(edited to change the link)
This is so weird; or is there in fact an explanation?
The 9/11 related conspiracy theories are a dime a dozen. Speaking of dimes, just google Loose Change to find a prominent site.
And here's a musical conspiracy theory...
http://www.songcity.co.uk/911Building7.htm

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Again, I said clearly I did/do NOT believe the conspiracy theory; that is just stupid, I also never believed a missile or smaller aircraft or whatever hit the building. I just could not figure out the physics of it - I saw a photo of the small whole, heard that there was no debris - this was a BBC movie after all - and came here to ask for an explanation as to what happened. What is wrong with that?

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Easy, Aruna. This topic gets blood boiling sometimes.

Ben, Matt, and others are just a bit touchy about the absolute ludicrousness of the conspiracy theories. There is no doubt here about what happened. Even those who made it happen have stated that, Bid Laden and Al Queso.

Everyone should catalog those who spread this drivel 'conspiracy' theory as complete idiots so they will fade away into the obscurity to which they belong.