Long Sentences

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score
In John Gardner's book On Becoming a Novelist, one of the exercises he gives is to write an authentic sentence four pages long, with no cheating by using commas or semicolons that are really periods.

I have tried to do this, but my longest sentence is only about ten lines long, barely half a page. How would you go about constructing a four page long sentence?

Thanks for your advice.

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score
double or single spaced?
What is the exercise meant to accomplish?

Spacing?....I don't know, say double.

The purpose of the exercise is to develop skill in writing something difficult.

Leigh Walker

Where are we going?
Registered
Reaction score
Now I have to go try it. :)

Although making the sentence good sounds impossible. I think Joseph Conrad writes some incredibly long sentences in some of his books and I find those sentences super hard to read.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Reading aloud a 4 pg sentence is tedious for both reader and listener, reading by eye no matter the subject is a strain--there's no breaks the eye can rest on, no pauses to let you ctch your breath. Reminds me of the pontificating politicians who BS on and on to get their point across belaboring the ears of anyone unfortunate enough to be within listening distance to stop a bill from passing. I beleive that's called a filibuster.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
If one wanted to write a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, *snipped because you get the point*

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
;) I might actually attempt this one for reals though. It sounds like an interesting exercise. And I want to run the above through Grammar check to see what happens.