UN Says the future's looking brighter. . .

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
UN Says the future's looking brighter despite the fact that:

The income of the richest 225 people in the world equals that of the poorest 2.7 billion or 40 percent of the global population. . . .

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070910/twl-un-world-future-outlook-4bdc673.html

Interesting article. The UN contends that the world is becoming more peaceful, but it does have its problems:

On the negative side, it pointed to hikes in CO2 emissions, terrorism, corruption, global warming and unemployment and a decrease in percentage of voting populations.

The upside is education, but the voting population is down? Huh?

I think a dramatic change needs to take place before I'd say we're stepping into a brighter future. And I'm hoping that the required change does not lead to more violence.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
All change is violent, BoP. You've lived long enough to know this.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
And I know the 2nd man on that list of 225 has given more than GDP of most nations on earth in his own money to help that bottom echelon of people.

He's an American, btw. A damned good one. Shame so many hippies and anti-capitalists want to shut him down. I don't see them ponying up at the charity till.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's an American, btw. A damned good one. Shame so many hippies and anti-capitalists want to shut him down. I don't see them ponying up at the charity till.

Gates?

Edit: Look at that figure, D. Forty percent of the world's population is equivalent to that of 225 people. What's your definition of generous, D?

Last edited:

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Mr. Gates couldn't spend it all on himself, family and friends if he tried. I'm glad he's doing something altruistic, but it hardly excuses the fact that wealth is still absurdly skewed.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Gates?

Edit: Look at that figure, D. Forty percent of the world's population is equivalent to that of 225 people. What's your definition of generous, D?

The Bill Gates Foundation has endowments of 35 billion dollars, funded almost entirely by Gates and Warren Buffett.

They donate more than a billion and a half dollars a year to help improve impoverished childrens' health and education.

That means they spend more money per year on the poor, than the COMBINED GDP of 26 nations, whose combined population is over 30 million people. That's 2 guys. Outspending 30 million people at a time to make the lives of hundreds of millions better.

That's what I call generous.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Bill Gates Foundation has endowments of 35 billion dollars, funded almost entirely by Gates and Warren Buffett.

They donate more than a billion and a half dollars a year to help improve impoverished childrens' health and education.

That means they spend more money per year on the poor, than the COMBINED GDP of 26 nations, whose combined population is over 30 million people. That's 2 guys. Outspending 30 million people at a time to make the lives of hundreds of millions better.

That's what I call generous.
That's because they have more than the combined GDP of 26 nations.

Duh yourself.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Not my fault some stickman in a grass hut in Kiribati didn't write the first operating system for the first personal computer.

Get over yourself and your white guilt. The world's not as bad as you pretend it should be.

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
As a sidebar, Gates wants an open gate on the border with Mexico. Gates is 100% behind letting Mexicans flood into the States at will.

And you're a fan, dclary?

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a sidebar, Gates wants an open gate on the border with Mexico. Gates is 100% behind letting Mexicans flood into the States at will.

Just as long as those Mexicans work for slave wages and those liberal Canadians STAY PUT, he's fine with it.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com

I'm in favor of the North American Union, Penny, as is Gates. The situation as stands sucks. But if we get MEXICO, then it's ok to get all the Mexicans too.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I'm glad he's doing something altruistic, but it hardly excuses the fact that wealth is still absurdly skewed.

would this be your attitude as well if it were some rich guy handing out free meals that he funded to the poor in some inner city?

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
would this be your attitude as well if it were some rich guy handing out free meals that he funded to the poor in some inner city?

Knew a billionaire that threw tons of land into conservation: I mean hundreds of thousands of acres. Think he's a "good man," eh?

Well he isn't. He did it for tax reasons. No problem declaring that to me. . . . He still owns the land; nobody can roam it but him, his family and his beaucoup Angus herd and those that he occasionally deems worthy.

Now for every dime he doesn't shell out, the rest of us do. And that land is no better than Queen Elizabeth's hunting ground when it comes to you or me or frankly, the wildlife there.

And this same man is the reason why I know Giuliani has a hard fight. . . an almost impossible fight. Because this man - and Turner - have the great wild west locked up.

Bad Penny

Banned
Reaction score
I'm in favor of the North American Union, Penny, as is Gates. The situation as stands sucks. But if we get MEXICO, then it's ok to get all the Mexicans too.

You're too far gone to ever come back. When you bump into Kurtz send a postcard

Reaction score

Obviously modeled on Windows Operating System Security.

Security: Not One Of Bill Gates' Strong Points.
by
William H. Thrilly 7th