William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
mere months after declaring the global war on terror a "bumper sticker slogan", edwards has proposed an international anti-terrorism agency, with the very un-bumper stickery comment that "(T)oday, terrorism is worse in Iraq, and it's worse around the world."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hQvAuHnlHI84KSwnT1-1tZL36wdw

among his comments is one that sounds a lot to me like the oft-mocked bushism "either you're with us or against us":

"Those nations who join will, by working together, show the world the power of cooperation" Edwards said. "Those nations who join will also be required to commit to tough criteria about the steps they will take to root out extremists, particularly those who cross borders. Those nations who refuse to join will be called out before the world."

interesting metamorphosis, john.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Finally - his handlers have amassed and correlated their poll data and adjusted his beliefs accordingly. It's about damn time.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
among his comments is one that sounds a lot to me like the oft-mocked bushism "either you're with us or against us":

Big difference between "exposing for the world to see" and the implied threats of retaliation from the Bush administration, William.

And the GWOT is Bush's bumper-sticker slogan, which he's used to stifle government transparency, rollback civil liberties and funnel hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars into destabilizing an entire region, while putting tons of resources into the hands of Islamic extremists.

And if the Republican party can't come up with anything better than this:

Dan Ronayne, a spokesman for the Republican National Committee, responded to the criticisms of the president by saying, "John Edwards is probably more qualified to lecture on hair care products than he is on national security."

maybe it's because he's right.

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
I think his "bumper sticker" remarks specifically referred to Bush's Global War on Terror, which, in his opinion, has been a rhetorical shield for the President to hide any number of abuses.

"We need a post-Bush, post-9/11, post-Iraq military that is mission focused on protecting Americans from 21st century threats, not misused for discredited ideological purposes," Edwards said in remarks prepared for delivery. "By framing this as a war, we have walked right into the trap the terrorists have set—that we are engaged in some kind of clash of civilizations and a war on Islam."

I don't know. I didn't get the impression that he was downplaying the threat of terrorism in that article; he was just critical of Bush's strategy.

And did Edwards ever personally mock Bush's "with us or against us" statement (which is probably mocked for its cowboy bluntness more than its message, I imagine)? If not, then how can he be a hypocrite for that?

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Dan Ronayne, a spokesman for the Republican National Committee, responded to the criticisms of the president by saying, "John Edwards is probably more qualified to lecture on hair care products than he is on national security."

Good lord, is that childish.

I mean, at least say something about how he's "defeatist," or "doesn't understand the post-9/11 blah blah" or whatever. Because with that comment, why not just go the full Ann Coulter and call him a fag? What a douche.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
And the GWOT is Bush's bumper-sticker slogan, which he's used to stifle government transparency, rollback civil liberties and funnel hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars into destabilizing an entire region, while putting tons of resources into the hands of Islamic extremists.

so precious.

let's play "where's waldo?" (only in this case it's "where's edwards?"). go on, see if you can find his name in these lists. it's fun and educational.

iraq war resolution:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2002/roll455.xml

patriot act (initial):

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...ote_cfm.cfm?congress=107&session=1&vote=00313

patriot act (reauthorization):

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2005/roll414.xml

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for exposing Mr. Edwards for what he is.

Alas, I wish it were for altruistic reasons.

But I know in your heart, your'e just doing it to clear the trail for your girl's all but assured nomination.

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
so precious.

let's play "where's waldo?" (only in this case it's "where's edwards?"). go on, see if you can find his name in these lists. it's fun and educational.

iraq war resolution:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2002/roll455.xml

patriot act (initial):

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...ote_cfm.cfm?congress=107&session=1&vote=00313

patriot act (reauthorization):

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2005/roll414.xml

He was young and stupid?

I agree with you that Edwards' rebirth as a fire-breathing defender of truth and liberty feels a little, well, scripted. His "apology" is nice and all, but it doesn't excuse his political expediencies of the past.

That said, I don't find this latest statement of his to be so disingenuous. So the nations of the world should do a better job of sharing intelligence and cooperating? Doesn't sound all that revolutionary, or especially hair-brained (sorry, sorry), to me.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Thank you for exposing Mr. Edwards for what he is.

Alas, I wish it were for altruistic reasons.

But I know in your heart, your'e just doing it to clear the trail for your girl's all but assured nomination.

You think he's bucking for another Veep nom?

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
it's not. it's called interpol.

Okay.

Here is how Edwards says this int'l organization will differ:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/09/06/edwards_to_offer_antiterror_pl.html

The new structure is needed, say those advising Edwards, given that NATO does not include many countries in which Islamic terrorists operate, and given that other international bodies, such as the UN and Interpol, include countries that have contributed to the world terror threat. To belong to the new international body, countries would have to pledge to tough criteria for pursuing extremists or terrorism financing within their own borders, and nations that declined to take part would be singled out, which could encourage more assistance from nations such as Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, Edwards's advisers say.

"There has been a reluctance about really cracking down on countries," said Gordon Adams, an international relations professor at American University advising Edwards. "This is a way of saying, 'Are you prepared to step up to this question and really make your policy stick or are you not?'."

It does sound rather cosmetic. I don't know how well loyalty oaths work in the real world, and what enforcement would look like.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Okay.

Here is how Edwards says this int'l organization will differ:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/09/06/edwards_to_offer_antiterror_pl.html

It does sound rather cosmetic. I don't know how well loyalty oaths work in the real world, and what enforcement would look like.

I'm sorry... what?

The new structure is needed, say those advising Edwards, given that NATO does not include many countries in which Islamic terrorists operate

France
Spain
UK
Germany
Slovenia

No Islamic terrorists?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

HCNC-1000.jpg

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
I'm sorry... what?

The new structure is needed, say those advising Edwards, given that NATO does not include many countries in which Islamic terrorists operate

France
Spain
UK
Germany
Slovenia

No Islamic terrorists?

He's saying that there are countries outside of NATO in which Islamic terrorists operate, and which this new organization would include.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Prey, you know there were political pundits saying the reason why Kerry/Edwards were given the green light in 2004 was to ensure that Bush would win again, giving Hillary an easy path to the whitehouse in 2008, right? Anyone in the know has known she'd be their Kwisatz Haderach for a long time now.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I think his "bumper sticker" remarks specifically referred to Bush's Global War on Terror, which, in his opinion, has been a rhetorical shield for the President to hide any number of abuses.

a convenient distinction, in my opinion. when brian williams asked the dems for a show of hands in the SC debate of those who believed there was a global war on terror (no mention of the bush brand GWOT), edwards did not raise his.