Joel Steinberg Wants Damage Award Thrown Out

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Remember Joel Steinberg? He's back in the news. Younger posters probably won't remember this evil child-killing jerk. In 1987, Steinberg, a lawyer, beat and murdered his (illegally) adopted daughter, Lisa, who was only six years old at the time. After a severe beating, Lisa was left alone for hours and finally died in a hospital. The case made national news, and I think what shocked people the most was that her adoptive "parents" were fairly well off. Steinberg was convicted of first degree murder and served 17 years. In 2004, he was ordered to pay $15 million in damages for this murder.

Now, he's protesting that damage award, claiming that Lisa endured "at most, eight hours of pain and suffering." He also argues that he was a doting father and that Lisa suffered no serious injuries. (Right, she only died.)
:rant:

According to the article, this loser not only took the time to eat dinner but also freebased cocaine while the unconcscious girl lay in the bathroom of their Greenwich Village apartment. She later died in a hospital, and she weighed 43 pounds. Her body was bruised, her feet had layers of dirt, and she "smelled of urine and vomit." She had also been left unattended for 8-10 hours before her death.

And yet Steinberg has the gall to whine about how he's going to have to live in poverty if he doesn't win this award. Well gee, maybe he should have tried to avoid murdering his (illegally) adopted daughter.

Andrew

Most of the rules gotta go...
Registered
Reaction score
Surely this motion will be tossed as quick as it comes to a judge. Ridiculous. Isn't it true he is out now and working in the media somehow?
If that's true, what kind of justice is this? What happened?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Good god, I hope they do the right thing. He deserves to live in a prison cell, but if they're going to let him roam, let him to it in rags.

Andrew

Most of the rules gotta go...
Registered
Reaction score
It seems he's out of prison.

Joel Steinberg wants $15M damage award thrown out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By JOSE MARTINEZ
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, September 5th 2007, 4:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Email Suggest a Story

Joel Steinberg wants court to toss $15M award to Lisa's mother.

Lisa Steinberg
Joel Steinberg, whose horrific murder of his daughter stunned the city 20 years ago, is still a cold-hearted monster.

The disbarred-lawyer-turned-laborer wants the state's highest court to toss the $15 million in damages he has been ordered to pay for the beating death of 6-year-old Lisa in 1987.

His twisted argument is that the tortured girl - whom he illegally adopted - only endured, "at most, eight hours of pain and suffering."

Although Lisa was found bruised and battered, Steinberg, 66, contends he was hammered too hard in 2004, when Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Louis York ordered him to pay the money to Michele Launders, Lisa Steinberg's biological mother, who sued as executor of her daughter's estate.

Steinberg served 17 years of a 8-1/3-to-25-year sentence after being convicted of first-degree manslaughter.

Interviewed at his Harlem apartment last night, Steinberg said he waived his right to argue his case at the state Court of Appeals today because "the tabloid media would have turned it into a circus." He submitted written arguments instead.

He said he thought he had a good chance of winning, based on the "quality of my legal briefs" and medical reports he claimed that showed Lisa had no serious injuries.

Should he lose, Steinberg barked, "I'll continue to labor and live in poverty. I'll have my salary garnished at 10%. But maybe I'll go to another court."

He then slammed his door.

"It's obvious, even at this late point, that Joel Steinberg still is not taking any responsibility," said Wayne Schaefer, a lawyer for Launders.

In the court papers, Steinberg wrote that he was a "doting, responsible parent" with a "very happy" child.

The killer also wrote that he has been unfairly made to look like a bad guy in news stories detailing Lisa's death.

In January, a divided Appellate Division panel upheld York's judgment and condemned Steinberg as being "asdevoid of any empathy or human emotion" now as he was the night Lisa died.

But because two of five judges thought Steinberg should not have to pay for past abuse of the child, he was allowed to take his case to Albany.

Steinberg ate dinner and freebased cocaine as Lisa lay unconscious for hours in the bathroom of a Greenwich Village apartment after being felled by a "staggering blow" to her head.

When Lisa died in a hospital, she weighed 43 pounds and her little body was covered in bruises. She also had layers of dirt on her feet and smelled of urine and vomit, a court found.

The medical examiner concluded that Lisa lingered unattended for eight to 10 hours before dying.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who was he supposed to be paying damages to?

and why is he out?

Ack. And people rot in prison for stealing a television or selling weed.
Our country has gone farkin' mad.

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
Indeed I remember the case (yes, I'm middle-aged). Do y'all remember what the girlfriend looked like before and after Joel Steinberg? She was a children's book editor.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Indeed I remember the case (yes, I'm middle-aged). Do y'all remember what the girlfriend looked like before and after Joel Steinberg? She was a children's book editor.
Hedda Nussbaum. She actually has (or had) a book out with PublishAmerica. Of course, most of the reviews appear to be by people who haven't read the book and are either supporting her as a survivor or damning her for complicity. Whatever I think of a person, a review that says they will never read a book by so-and-so is worthless.

I got the impression taht a lot of people became more sympathetic about Hedda Nussbaum once they learned more details about the case. I don't know enough real details to make up my mind. Anyway, I'm always more sympathetic to the children who get hurt or killed because they're the most helpless. :(

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was pretty young when this happened, but I remember this lying sack of @#*t. I hope they double the damages!

I can't believe this moron is actually going to make such a stupid argument and think it's going to work.

F*$@wad scum of the earth. Prision was too good for him, but that's where he should be instead of out on the street. 'Scuse my language. This thing makes me mad and incoherent.