PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo 2007 - what are you doing?

L M Ashton
09-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Have you decided yet if you're going to join in the insanity? Do you know what you're going to write yet? Have you already started planning? Or do you leave everything to the last minute, toss the die, and hope for the best?

Me, I'm a planner, and I'm planning - at this stage, although there's still plenty of time left to change my mind several times ;) - on writing a fantasy story (my first fantasy - I'm usually into science fiction) that popped into my head a few months ago but haven't done much with. I've started planning, and I've got a few broad brushstrokes, but not the detail that my brain seems to require. By the time NaNo rolls around, I'll hopefully have a full plot outline.

And yes, I know I'm a tad early. So what? :D

ETA: Obligatory NaNoWriMo (http://www.nanowrimo.org) link.

wyntermoon
09-05-2007, 05:30 PM
What are the ground rules? Does this need to be a spankin' new project or can you be 1/10th of the way in already? ;) I need a push!

L M Ashton
09-05-2007, 05:40 PM
The rules say it has to be brand new. But the rules also say that it's on the honesty system and no one is going to check. So... Uh...

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

wyntermoon
09-05-2007, 05:41 PM
:roll:

ajkjd01
09-05-2007, 05:47 PM
The novel I've been editing the hell out of was my NaNo 2006...

I have two projects I've been outlining and planning and I think I'll be writing the sequel to last year's novel.

Thump
09-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Children's paranormal detective :P

True North
09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I did not do it last year, but this year I might try again. I've failed every year. Maybe I can come up with a no-doubt one and actually write more than 10,000 words.

I have to refresh my rules, but can you do fan fiction? haha maybe if my characters are already created I can do it.

L M Ashton
09-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah, True North, fan fiction is always allowable. Some people on the forum get all bent out of shape over it, but TPTB say it's fine.

So, no one's gotten mad at me - yet - for posting about NaNoWriMo this early. Huh. I was half expecting a wallupin'. :P

Adam Israel
09-05-2007, 06:31 PM
I've tried and failed for more years than I care to admit to. I'm doing it this year, and I'm going to finish if it kills me.

I'm working on outlines for two novels. One is an urban fantasy/vampire hunter story and the other is post-cyberpunk.

Harper K
09-05-2007, 06:45 PM
I did NaNo 6 years in a row. It pains me to say this, but this might be the first year that I don't officially do the challenge. I'm so buried in my current WIP that I don't want to put it aside and do 50,000 words on a new project. There's no way I'll be at a stopping point on my WIP by November.

I would miss my Atlanta NaNo group if I didn't join up, though, so I'll probably re-activate my username, post on the forums, and go to some of the write-ins and meetings, but I'll be working on my 3rd draft instead of a first draft. I'm the veteran among the Atlanta NaNo people, so they can't argue with me. ;)

TheIT
09-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm in, but I'm not sure what I'll be working on yet. Hopefully I'll finish the rough draft I'm working on by mid-October so I'll be free to play in November.

Good luck to everyone!

:Sun:

Stew21
09-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I didn't do it last year. I'm currently in second draft of my MS, and will want to be writing something new by NOvember, so I think I'll be game.
I have no idea what i'll write about. Usually I don't know what I'm writing until the second chapter, don't have any idea where it's going until about the 10th chapter and don't know how it ends until, well, as suspected - the end.

should be fun.

Azraelsbane
09-05-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm totally doing this for the first time this year. My husband actually told me not to get a job until December so I could do it. Ha! Score one for being a laptop potato!

As for what I'm going to write... oooh, I'm just so excited right now to be writing and querying (for the first time), that I'm kinda jumpy about the whole writing a book in a month thing.

I have a few options: 1) a psycho-thriller I have outlined that my husband went nuts over and 2) The 1st person backstory novel about the antagonist from my fantasy series.

I thought since hubby was footing all the real life bills, I'd let him choose. He wanted the antagonist story! I was pretty shocked. Not sure if I'm gonna listen to him or not. We'll see. ;)

AnnieColleen
09-05-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm in.

:scared:

I want to try to plan ahead of time, see if that works out better for me, but we'll see how that goes.

san_remo_ave
09-07-2007, 05:58 AM
I'm in this year, too! I think I even have a kernel of an idea for my story... will let it simmer for the next 2 months and see what I've got!

Esopha
09-07-2007, 06:07 AM
I'm doing it! I'm all excited and whatnot, considering it's my first pseudo-serious novel.

My premise:

Sven is an atheist who didn't believe in eternal souls until about 30 seconds after he died. Now he's stuck In Between, or in Limbo, and extremely confused. While in Limbo, he meets Andrea, who fills him in on all the juicy details about eternal damnation/salvation, and the Threshers. Huge, corrupted souls that feed on the PC (Purity Content) of other souls in Limbo so they can remain In Between instead of being sent into Hell.

Toss in some crazy ideas about the afterlife, a conversation about gay priests, and the original sin, and that's Nanowrimo 2007, Esopha style.

TheIT
09-07-2007, 10:02 AM
All right, the scary thing is I had nothing this morning, but this afternoon the kernel of a story idea popped into my head. It's set in the same fantasy universe I've been writing in and will feature my same core characters, but it's a little darker and on a larger scale than the stories I've done before. Tentative title is "Foresight".

Now to let it percolate and see what happens....

AnnieColleen
09-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Yup - happening here too.

I already had my idea (a twist on the sleeping hero story, a la Arthur/Merlin or...somebody else I forget), but three guesses why I'm up now when I have a meeting first thing in the morning...thought of a new way to structure the story and a different twist on the 'moral of the story'. Let the percolating begin.

(and hopefully it'll produce wakefulness at the appropriate time tomorrow, else I'm in trouble!)

BenPanced
09-07-2007, 11:39 AM
I didn't do it last year. I'm currently in second draft of my MS, and will want to be writing something new by NOvember, so I think I'll be game.
I have no idea what i'll write about. Usually I don't know what I'm writing until the second chapter, don't have any idea where it's going until about the 10th chapter and don't know how it ends until, well, as suspected - the end.

should be fun.
Go for it. Lots of people do it this way, so you'll be in good company.

Me? I'm doing the sequel to 2005's, which was the sequel to 2004's (2006's was completely unrelated to these), thereby completing a trilogy. Not sure how much preplanning I'm doing but considering it's helped immensely in the past, I'll probably have a go.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX
09-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I'm doing it this year. I heard about it too late last year, but this year I'm catching it. I'll either finish my current WIPs by then (totally not likely) or put them on hold. It would be a good exercise for me, and I could still write on my other WIPs off the clock (I won't be able to leave my MASA <3). Now, all that's left is to decide what I want to write and plan. I'm normally a go-with-the-flow type, but the flow isn't very punctual. ;) So, I need something of a plot.

As for what...I have three options.

1. A story about a beauty academy of sorts called "Dollhouse". It takes people in, "trains" them, beautifies them, then advertises and sells them as living dolls. It's a cute enough business, but behind the scenes it's rather shady. Their methods break the souls of the students, or "dolls". Two roommates at this academy--Michael and Keanu--are very close. When they're bought, they're separated, and have to find each other, themselves, and the hearts of their buyers.

2. A story about an outcasted hermaphrodite named Bavol who's very confused. He (well, "he" for the first part of the story) struggles with his reluctant love/hate relationship/friendship with two of his neighbors--one a man, Rhoswen, and the other a woman, Evelyn, who both desire him on some level--and his true love for the man in love with his sister. But the only friend he truly feels he can confide in can die any day. Rhoswen's desire and...psychological issues drive him a bit too far, and Bavol finds himself--no, herself--pregnant. She insists that despite gender issues, despite what the doctors say, her body's just fine and she can be normal. It's hard, but she has a daughter. And loses her only friend. She has to realize she's not alone, get her priorities straight, and pull her life together

And 3. A little unnamed diddy that goes something like...this hard-working businesswoman is having visions of her death, or so she believes. She confides in her friend about it, and he suggests that she visits a psychiatrist. She goes, and he's a very down-to-earth, religious man. Nice enough, but doesn't believe her. He suggests she take a vacation. Well, she's not about to turn that down. She goes to a nice spa place. While sight seeing in an old church, she gets chills and looks down, finding that where she stands is where she foresees her death. Her visions get random and she tries to piece together the mystery and prevent her death with the help of her two most trusted right-hand-men, her friend and psychiatrist. But they end up bringing about exactly what they meant to prevent...

It'll be a hard decision, but I'm going back and forth between the first two. They're more planned and the 3rd. It'll be fun to hang out with everyone here during it, though, especially as it's my first time. :tongue See you then~!

Sassee
09-07-2007, 08:08 PM
I was thinking about it. Don't know if I'll have the discipline to finish, but eh, who needs discipline anyway?

I might do a spinoff of my current WIP. Kate and Fark, post picking-a-mate drama, learning the joys of having a litter of triplet werewolf pups... and telling her parents, who don't even know she's a wolf yet. <evil grin>

Sage
09-07-2007, 10:07 PM
You have nothing to lose by trying it & failing.

Except possibly your social life. ;)

Sassee
09-07-2007, 10:27 PM
You have nothing to lose by trying it & failing.

Except possibly your social life. ;)

Been there, done that. Play online games. LOL!

JenNipps
09-08-2007, 12:01 AM
I had thought about not doing NaNo this year, but I'm going to. The one I have in mind is a mainstream. Possibly a romance, possibly not. I don't know yet. It's tentatively titled "Navajo Rose" and I've been making notes on it since I went to Calfornia earlier this summer. :)

L M Ashton
09-08-2007, 05:48 PM
It's so nice to see so many other people already planning on doing it. :D Yay!

For any of you who are on the fence...

Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!!

ETA: I'm such an enabler.

plaidearthworm
09-08-2007, 11:31 PM
I just got an email from Erin this week about returning MLs, so I agreed to do it once again. Because what's Nano without a little more stress?;)

Now to start planning the kick-off party and write-ins, planning goody bags, thinking about press releases and newspaper coverage, and, oh yeah, what my novel will be about this year.

Wheeeeeeeeeee!

Andre_Laurent
09-10-2007, 05:31 AM
Never done it before, but I'm in this year. I have my idea, have an outline and I'm ready to let it rip.

chartreuse
09-18-2007, 05:46 AM
I haven't participated before, but might this year. My big hang-up in the past has been that it's in November, and I am the one that hosts Thanksgiving dinner. Which means that I lose about a week between shopping, cooking (I cook the stuff over several days), cleaning, the actual day of the dinner, and recovering from the turkey hangover.

Hmmm...I'll have to think about this. For those who actually finish, it must be quite a rush.

burgy61
09-18-2007, 06:28 AM
I never heard of NANO until I found this forum, but I'm going to give it a try.

As for what I'm going to write, I posted several opening lines on Myspace and my blog. I have asked people to tell me which one they like and I will write a story from that opening line. I have ideas for all of the opening lines so I thought that I would have some fun with this. I will give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.

L M Ashton
09-18-2007, 06:46 AM
Or, instead of writing the one that other people like more, you could write the one that sounds like the most fun to you. :) Just a thought. :)

Shady Lane
09-18-2007, 06:59 AM
I've never done it before, but I'm super excited to try it this year. I've got this Hamlet-in-high-school idea....I think I can make it fresh, though. It's not going to be "Based on Hamlet" in a Lion King sort of way, it's going to be Hamlet--but with everything paralleled into a teenage universe. So instead of being some pale imitation copy, it'll be a good story.

That's the plan, anyway.

Vorteil
09-18-2007, 07:46 AM
I've known I was going to do it since last year's...hadn't started thinking about specifics much till recently though. It will probably be urban fantasy, and crazy enough for me to throw in random crap when I hit walls.

Soccer Mom
09-18-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm totally in again. Of course I have no idea what I'm doing. Last year, I knew exactly what I was doing and then changed my mind the week before.

I need to finish my current WIP so that I'm free to NaNo.

Hmmmmm....

burgy61
09-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Or, instead of writing the one that other people like more, you could write the one that sounds like the most fun to you. :) Just a thought. :)

I do have one picked out that I think would be fun to write and see where it goes. But I had a reader leave a comment asking me to post them and let people choose one. I thought it would be fun so I did it.

MMWyrm
09-18-2007, 11:46 PM
I'm revising my 2006 NaNo right now. I'm hoping to get it submitable before November.

For NaNo 2007, I'm either working on an already-in-progress vampire tale (but not counting the words I already have! No cheating here!) or starting a novel based on a short I've written. That one is straight adventure-type fantasy.

Jokeslayer
09-22-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm in, for the third year (failed the other two). I have most of an idea so I should be in much better shape this time around.

Forbidden Snowflake
09-23-2007, 03:58 AM
I FAILED (shame on me) last year. And this year I want to succeed. AND, I want to document it on my blog. I'm gonna be an extra geek this year. Yes. Sad.

L M Ashton
09-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Being an extra geek is sad? Then my life is so pathetic... Oh, wait...

Saanen
09-27-2007, 11:17 PM
I just realized it's almost October, which means I only have a month to get everything ready for Nano! Yikes!

I'm definitely in this year. My project is called "Jack of All Trades" and the MC is named Jack Bywater. He's an odd-job man with something (and I don't know what yet) in his past that makes him unable to settle down in one place. Oh, and it's a fantasy so the odd jobs he takes on can be a lot of fun. And he has a pet dragon named Pepper who looks something like an overgrown red bulldog.

My goal: cross the finish line BY THANKSGIVING! If I put my outline together well enough I think I can do it. Plus each chapter will be pretty much standalone, with a main story arc connecting the chapters, which should make it a little easier to write in such a rush.

jennifer75
09-27-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm going to do it. And I am going to finish it. It's gonna totally kick ass.

Sarita
09-27-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm going to try to add 50K to my WIP, through finishing touches and revisions.

Pomegranate
09-28-2007, 02:26 AM
I'm excited about NaNoWriMo this year. One reason is that I officially stepped down as ML. Since I won't be spending half my NaNo-time writer-herding and party planning, I may actually write something coherent this year. The other reason is that I had a cool idea at the end of last year's NaNo that is fleshing out to be rather interesting. I'm eager to play with it.

DancingMaenid
10-01-2007, 11:32 AM
I was considering not trying it this year. I've done it twice before, and failed both times. the first time, I didn't even have any ideas about what to write until two days into November, and the story I ended up trying to write fizzled pretty quickly because I had no plot, and even though I don't do too much outlining, I do prefer to have some sort of plot prepared. The second time, I fared better, but still missed the mark.

But I'd feel bad not trying again. I mean, it's free, and there's no penalty for losing. So it just seems stupid not to try. I don't know how it'll go with being in college this time, but I'm going to give it a shot. I have a solid idea I'm going to try, too. I started the very beginning of a novel early this year, but put it aside to work on another WIP. I just recently thought of a better way to do it, and want to start writing it again from a new POV. I think I'm going to write that for Nano. The delay until November will give me time to work out the plot and structure a bit more, and maybe the quick pace will help me make some serious progress, which I so need right now.

Robin
10-01-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm in! I failed miserably last year, but the book I finished for 2005 got me an agent (after HEAVY editing!) I'll be writing the sequel to that book's sequel, a YA paranormal. (Last year's Nano dud was a romantic comedy.)

Unique
10-01-2007, 04:58 PM
:e2bounceyI've got some characters and some props - YAY! Me!

That's more than I had last year (which was ZIPPO) I'm starting to get excited. I haven't had a fiction state of mind for a long time. (NaNo 2005, to be exact.)

Go, go, go ...
I'm making notes to myself in a folder named NaNo 2007 - Wish Me Luck! (I'll need it!)

I'm gonna leave some bait set out for my muse, trap her silly butt and make her tell me stories - need bait ... need bait ... have any advice for me?

Merry
10-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm going to give it another go this year, and I'm aiming for 2 novellas rather than one novel. I've got one partially planned, just need to finish the basic outline on that one. Then, I'll plan the sequel. :eek:
I don't normally have a decent plan, so hopefully having one will make a (positive) difference this year. :Shrug:

AnnieColleen
10-01-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm making notes to myself in a folder named NaNo 2007

I've been doing the same thing. My folder's called Nano Alec after the central character...I realized last night the caps are wrong, which calls up some odd mental pictures!

Bait, hmm...pretending to sleep has been working for me. ;)

benbradley
10-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Where's the sign-up link??? It's supposed to be there NOW, Monday Night, October 1st...
http://www.nanowrimo.org/
Hurry up, guys, it's already 8PM Pacific time...

A nano veteran in my writer's group mentioned padding as a technique that helps. What's more, I just found this great site that will definitely help me get through it, saw this link discussed in another thread:
http://eeknight.livejournal.com/283350.html
"Loggorrhea is your friend..."

Sage
10-02-2007, 08:44 AM
I wish I knew what I was going to write! :cry:

L M Ashton
10-02-2007, 05:30 PM
It's open. Been open for a few hours. There are, of course, some kinks, but hey, what would October first be without a bunch of kinks on the forums? :D

jenngreenleaf
10-02-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm in!

:hooray:

Maybe this year I'll produce something better than the "writing" I accomplished during each challenge I've participated in since 2003. Needless to say, it was crap. LOL

RJThorne
10-02-2007, 07:12 PM
I am, apparently, participating this year. :eek: :e2faint:

I have no earthly clue what I'm going to write about.

Maybe I should look for a heavenly clue.

benbradley
10-02-2007, 08:05 PM
It's open. Been open for a few hours. There are, of course, some kinks, but hey, what would October first be without a bunch of kinks on the forums? :D

And it only takes like 45 seconds for the page to load! I wrote this response while waiting for the "sign up now" button to activate!

Goal: to write a novel that crashes nanowrimo...

Vorteil
10-03-2007, 04:29 AM
I cannot believe I can actually access the site, haha.

san_remo_ave
10-03-2007, 06:42 AM
I'm in! Just signed up, tho the site is a wreck at the moment.

I have the barest idea of a plot. Oh, and a title. It's an idea I've had for years, just dusting it off to give it a try.

I love Nano! :D

larrypotter
10-03-2007, 08:49 PM
For any of you who are on the fence...

Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!!

Very eloquently written, Quid. Nice!

I am definitely in for the fourth year. I've won all three years I've done it, but my last two novels have been... how to put this... BAD! So I'm looking to produce something this year that is not only 50,000 words, but also isn't torture to stick with!

I have had some ideas floating around in my head like leaves (sorry about the foliage analogy... I'm in the midst of procrastinating raking my yard!). What I need to do, though, is seriously sit down and PREPARE. That was the difference between my Year 1 novel (fun... and readable!) and my Years 2 and 3 (torture... and never to be viewed by human eyes!). Get some ideas on paper. Okay, then, here I go!

(shuffles off to find journal...)

whistlelock
10-04-2007, 03:28 AM
Superhero Lit Fic- specifically- a superman-style character has to deal with his mother's terminal cancer.

L M Ashton
10-04-2007, 06:53 AM
Very eloquently written, Quid. Nice!

Why, thank you! Thank you very much! :)

I'm finally getting my magic system sorted out - I'm the anal retentive one who has to have logic in place, or I *twitch* go nuts. It can get *twitch* bad, ya know? :D I just write better when everything is sorted out beforehand and there's nothing left to confuse me.

I still don't have more than the very very very basic plot nailed down, but I've still got a month... *twitch*

Uncarved
10-04-2007, 07:02 AM
I'm going to wing it.
Every year I plan, have the characters and plot all outlined, and I fail.
This year.... no plan, no outline, just off the cuff.

spacejock2
10-04-2007, 09:46 AM
I was considering not trying it this year. I've done it twice before, and failed both times. the first time, I didn't even have any ideas about what to write until two days into November, and the story I ended up trying to write fizzled pretty quickly because I had no plot, and even though I don't do too much outlining, I do prefer to have some sort of plot prepared. The second time, I fared better, but still missed the mark.

But I'd feel bad not trying again. I mean, it's free, and there's no penalty for losing. So it just seems stupid not to try. I don't know how it'll go with being in college this time, but I'm going to give it a shot. I have a solid idea I'm going to try, too. I started the very beginning of a novel early this year, but put it aside to work on another WIP. I just recently thought of a better way to do it, and want to start writing it again from a new POV. I think I'm going to write that for Nano. The delay until November will give me time to work out the plot and structure a bit more, and maybe the quick pace will help me make some serious progress, which I so need right now.

These articles of mine might help (and Freemind is a wonderful plotting tool.)

How to plot a novel: http://www.spacejock.com.au/PlottingANovel.html

How to write a novel:
http://www.spacejock.com.au/WriteANovel.html

Soccer Mom
10-04-2007, 09:55 AM
I've decided to finish last years NaNo that I started and abandoned. It's at 63K. I'll just add another 50 and only count new words.

GeorgieB
10-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I've got two outlines ready to fill in, but will probably enter the madness with the one that Rocky and Bullwinkle would call a "Fractured Fairy Tale." It is the true story of what The Handsome Prince, Snow White, The Evil Queen and The Seven Dwarfs really were all about.

I struggled through Anne Rice's "Sleeping Beauty"mush, trying to keep a straight face and failed, and the experience has scarred me for life! Galloping men/horses crawling hands/knees, you betcha.

So, genre will be humor/erotica with the emphasis on humor (how many names can you think of for various body parts?) with a tinge of suspense (the Evil Queen has to have some fun and get even) and maybe some mystery (how did the Magic Mirror come to be?).

I completed last year's NaNo with 55K words by Thanksgiving Day, and also started that with a full outline (I'm an ex-engineer, okay?). This year should be fun.

TheIT
10-05-2007, 05:13 AM
I think I've come up with a better idea than before. Tentative title is "Lock and Key". My thief character has been working for both sides of the law, and now both sides want her to prove her loyalty. Question is, who will she choose to betray?

Soccer Mom
10-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Oh goody! Is this a Kat and Pounce story, IT?

Yay! I'm gonna finish my Hephzibah story. I've been editing the part I wrote last year and I'm stunned. I love it. :e2thud:

larrypotter
10-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Has anyone read Baty's book (No Plot? No Problem!) and actually tried the pre-novel exercises he suggests? I did my first Nano, and it really helped. Unfortunately, for Years 2 & 3, I -- being an "experienced" novelist (novelist should probably also be in quotes!) -- didn't bother to do much preparation at all. I'm going to find that book and do some prep-work. I'm determined to write something worth revisiting this year.

Also, I noticed Quidscribis is the ML to Sri Lanka. Any other MLs? I'm Vermont's ML -- there's no motivation like being the big cheerleader! If I don't finish, then I really look bad... it has really helped me for my quests for 50K!

AnnieColleen
10-05-2007, 07:01 PM
What sort of exercises, do you remember?

L M Ashton
10-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Howdy! Yeah, my ML superpowers were taken away, then given back, and then taken away again. It's quite disconcerting, really. :D My region is extremely small, so not much cheerleading to do, although I'm trying to change that what with a magazine article on NaNo coming out November 1st. Theoretically.

Which doesn't at all answer your question...

I haven't read No Plot? No Problem! I wouldn't mind doing that sometime, but we don't order books from overseas - too expensive. I also have my own methods for preparing for NaNoWriMo that work quite well for me, so not actually necessary here.

ChaosTitan
10-05-2007, 08:53 PM
I have about 4-5 chapters to finish in my WIP, plus more rewrites on another novel to complete before October 31st. That way I can dedicate my November writing time to the NaNo project.

How many days to I have left?

larrypotter
10-05-2007, 09:04 PM
What sort of exercises, do you remember?
First off, it's a very entertaining read -- as well as helpful. He suggests a few exercises including:

* A time chart: basically, the purpose is to figure out when you'll write your novel by identifying your essential activities, the nice-to-have-for-your-quality-of-life activities, and the time-wasters like watching soap operas (or surfing on the AW website???). The idea is to know what you're getting into, schedule-wise.

* His two "magna cartas": these are two lists -- one, a list of characteristics of your favorite books. List two is a list of characteristics of books you disliked (or didn't make it through). The idea here is to identify what you like and don't like, so that you (hopefully) use the "like" characteristics in YOUR novel, in hopes of seeing it through.

* character questionaire: he has you come up with some characters (with names) and answer a whole bunch of questions about them (age, gender, occupation, hobbies, hair color, etc). The idea here being that, once you have characters, you can just throw situations at them (he even lists tons of little scenarios) and then -- Poof! -- plot happens!

The book also offers weekly advice for each month of Nano... like I said, it's a fun read!

TheIT
10-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Oh goody! Is this a Kat and Pounce story, IT?

Yay! I'm gonna finish my Hephzibah story. I've been editing the part I wrote last year and I'm stunned. I love it. :e2thud:

Yep, this is them. Katrina is going to be the MC. It'll be set about a year or so after "Double Take" (last year's NaNo which I haven't finished). Pounce has gone in a different direction, but he'll be in this story, too.

I'm finding NaNo is a great way to play with my characters and world-building. Gives me a chance to get to know them better, and because it's pretty loose, a chance to play with the chronology.

And glad to hear you're still jazzed about your story, Soccer Mom! The excerpts you shared last time were very fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

wood pixie
10-06-2007, 12:20 AM
I'll do it again this year.
It will be my third year.

I finished the 2005 NaNo and ended up with a rough draft of my second Fantasy Romance. I didn't finish 2006 but ended up with an excellent start on my final novel for my YA fantasy series and already have a contract for it.

Can't believe it is less than a month away!

wyntermoon
10-06-2007, 12:23 AM
I'm thinking about taking the prologue from my WIP and developing it into its own story. I was debating about cutting it anyway, at least this way it'll have a home (or work its way into the beginning of a series).

moth
10-06-2007, 01:01 AM
Hi all! :hi: Bravely jumping in with both feet here. :)

This'll be my first NaNo. I have a half-baked idea from earlier this year that I think I'll try -- with no outline! :eek: Which sends shivers through me, shivers equal parts terrified and excited. No working title either. I'm like most people, I stink at titling. :tongue

larry -- thanks for posting those excercises. Those look really useful, and I think I'll be trying them out! :D

PrettySpecialGal
10-06-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm starting a historical fiction piece I've been thinking about for a while. And (As I posted somewhere else) I signed both classes up for the challenge. Should be fun.
Who knows if they will all take it on, but they're signed up-- I have faith in them!

Serenity
10-06-2007, 04:10 AM
How many days to I have left?

*ahem* :e2poke: 26 :D

Soccer Mom
10-06-2007, 05:30 AM
:Sun: for everyone who is joining in.

A little refreshment perhaps?

http://www.tacoloco.geomerx.com/grfx/MediaVault/margaritas_sauzas.jpg

AnnieColleen
10-06-2007, 09:15 AM
He suggests a few exercises including:
Hmm, it does sound interesting. Schedule I think I have figured out, for this go-round at least. I've been working on characters (and world-building and plot all together); I'll have to re-look at them in that light. Likes/dislikes...eesh. That sounds like work. ;) If I can I'll turn up a copy of the book and take a look.

Now that I could go for! (It's been a long day.) :e2thud:

Sage
10-06-2007, 09:25 AM
First off, it's a very entertaining read -- as well as helpful. He suggests a few exercises including:I probably wouldn't get anything out of the first couple, but character games helped me out a lot with my first NaNo novel. I had no plot and one character, but I figured out the other three major characters by filling out a few of those questionaires, & that helped me plot too.

GeorgieB
10-06-2007, 06:40 PM

Thank you, Soccer Mom. I'll take the one on the left, blended, salt and make it a double.

Yumm!

PrettySpecialGal
10-06-2007, 07:21 PM

yummy! Thanks- can I have 3 since I signed up myself, AND my 2 classes?
:D

brokenfingers
10-06-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm gonna leave some bait set out for my muse, trap her silly butt and make her tell me stories - need bait ... need bait ... have any advice for me?Hmmm... here's my suggestion:

Right before you go to bed, stand by your window. Look at the stars with an open mind for five full minutes. Slowly walk to your bed (while leaving the window open.)

With each step, sprinkle some of the following on the floor: (muses llike a variety of bait so just one won't so)

- your dreams
- things you like
- things that make you angry
- poignant moments from your past
- future hopes
- past regrets
- a favorite book or the work of a favorite author
- something that makes your heart swell and your eyes tear - but in a good way
- something that makes your hand clench, your brows furrow and your breath quicken
- scenes from your favorite movie
- scenes from your favorite novel
- a pen
- a drink, alcohol or non-alcohol (muses get thirsty too)
- a stone, worn smooth through time

Leave this trail from the window to your bed. Lay down. Take a deep breath and sleep deeply.

In the morning - Write.

DragonHeart
10-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Have you decided yet if you're going to join in the insanity? Do you know what you're going to write yet? Have you already started planning? Or do you leave everything to the last minute, toss the die, and hope for the best?

Yes, yes, and yes. That makes the last one a no.

I briefly toyed with the idea of using Nano to rewrite my current WIP from scratch, but I've since decided against that route.

Instead, I'm working on the worldbuilding for a fantasy novel I have partially outlined. I want to at least have all the names and such set down and a vague idea of the history. So far so good.

~DragonHeart~

Alvah
10-06-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm worried that the NaNoWriMo website won't work. Today, when I tried to logon several times, the site is either verrrrry sloooow to start up, or else it won't start at all. Also, one of the few times I was able to connect to the website, it told me I had to download some program called
Drupal....what in the world is that?

This is my first time doing NaNoWriMo, but I'm concerned about the poor performance of their website. Maybe they need more powerful servers.

Sage
10-06-2007, 11:59 PM
I signed in & got to my personal page, but didn't get to the forums before it died. It really is usually slow until NaNo gets going, though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Scribhneoir
10-07-2007, 12:32 AM
I've been dithering about doing NaNo this year. I'm deeply involved in my current WIP, so I hate to interrupt my momentum. But I had a lot of fun with NaNo last year and I want to do it again. It's a dilemma. Maybe I could work on my WIP only during my lunch hour and NaNo at night ... hmm, I'll have to give that some thought.

DamaNegra
10-07-2007, 01:41 AM
This year, I'm doing hte next 50,000 of my WIP. I only have about 3,000 words right now, so yeah, 50,000 is gonna be an incredible boost :D

* A time chart: basically, the purpose is to figure out when you'll write your novel by identifying your essential activities, the nice-to-have-for-your-quality-of-life activities, and the time-wasters like watching soap operas (or surfing on the AW website???). The idea is to know what you're getting into, schedule-wise.

My schedule really depends on how much homework I have each day :) So I can't really draft a chart now. And since NaNo happens during final exams... well... I'm having even less of a schedule. This is my first year at college, so everything is really frantic.

I'm worried that the NaNoWriMo website won't work. Today, when I tried to logon several times, the site is either verrrrry sloooow to start up, or else it won't start at all.

Ah, I've heard this is normal.

P.H.Delarran
10-07-2007, 04:24 AM
I joined the website-very tentatively.
Not only will this be my first Nano, but my first real novel attempt as well.
We'll see.
(I'm skeered)

scarletpeaches
10-07-2007, 04:25 AM
I'm skeered too. There are huge gaps in my knowledge of the subjects I'll need to research to have a complete storyline. I can see it now. I'll cut off in the middle of dialogue and type [research art galleries/universities/appropriate medical procedure here].

P.H.Delarran
10-07-2007, 04:31 AM
That's a good idea-I've planned a few place holders myself. Well err, if I don't get some incredible inspiration, that may be half of the characters and most of the plot. :tongue

Sage
10-07-2007, 04:40 AM
I'm skeered too. There are huge gaps in my knowledge of the subjects I'll need to research to have a complete storyline. I can see it now. I'll cut off in the middle of dialogue and type [research art galleries/universities/appropriate medical procedure here].
That's a perfectly valid way to add words. If you use commas it's two more words than with the slashes ;)

But really, it does count for your word count 'cuz if you think about it, when you use the research, it will probably be longer than that. I usually highlight things I want to add later in blue & words I think are wrong or sections I want to work better in green. There were actually quite a few things I needed to research for last year's work. And probably will be more this year.

scarletpeaches
10-07-2007, 04:42 AM
If I get the job I was recently interviewed for, I'll be starting on 4th November - part time, but even so...I wish I knew shorthand! There's no way I'm taking my laptop outside the house. ;)

Oh well. I may as well. What have I got to lose? It's only 50k and I know it's possible to do it. I can see it ending up as a VERY messy outline rather than anything like a first draft, but hey...it's more than I've got now, isn't it?

rhymegirl
10-07-2007, 04:53 AM
So, what's involved with this? You have to write a novel in a month?

scarletpeaches
10-07-2007, 04:54 AM
AAAAARGH!!! I just reactivated my account from two years ago. It seems I done signed me up for a month of madness. Cripes.

Esopha
10-07-2007, 05:02 AM

50,000 words in 30 days. :D It's the most intense thing ever. Come play with us!

Scribhneoir
10-07-2007, 05:04 AM

Yep, that's the idea. 50,000 words in thirty days.

roskoebaby
10-07-2007, 05:04 AM
This will be my first NaNo. Is it posted for everyone to read? Do we write on their website or just keep track of it ourselves?

Sage
10-07-2007, 05:07 AM
This will be my first NaNo. Is it posted for everyone to read? Do we write on their website or just keep track of it ourselves? You write on your computer & then at the end you save as a text file & upload it onto the site, which counts the words. You do not have to share it with anyone. Before they let you check it with their counter, you can update your word count manually on the honor system

BenPanced
10-07-2007, 05:09 AM
There's a place on your profile for you to post an excerpt, if you wish. Completely voluntary.

However, you keep your work where you want it and you don't have to share it with the world if you choose not to. The whole word count is on the honor system, except for the final verification where you can upload a scrambled version for the bots to verify.

Which is EXACTLY what Sage said. Except with different words.

roskoebaby
10-07-2007, 05:11 AM
Ah, thanks. I don't mind sharing, but I didn't know if all of my mindless sentences that I later rewrite would be posted.

Sassee
10-07-2007, 05:13 AM
From the NaNo site:

So we're hurtling towards week two of sign-ups, and I wanted to give everyone an update on stuff here at headquarters. Russ is working around the clock on the site's turtle slowness and the "unable to connect to database" errors---both caused by the same issue of heaps of people accessing the site at once. He plans on making good progress on it this weekend.

As he works this weekend, there may be intermittent site downtime. And to speed things up in the short term, he's turned off the Author search page when site-use hits a certain threshold. You'll see a few other changes around the site this weekend designed to lower demand on the database and speed things up site-wide. The big help will be bringing the second database server online sooner than we'd planned. We'll keep you posted on all of it.

The slowness and connection problems are frustrating, but the number of sign-ups causing it is exciting. It's going to be an amazing, record-setting November, and I'm thankful we have the next couple weeks to get everything fine-tuned before the big event commences. Thanks so much for your patience!

Soccer Mom
10-07-2007, 05:50 AM
:snoopy: I'm getting excited.

It's official: I'm tabling my current WIP to finish last year's NaNo novel. Welcome all you NaNo newbies. It's insane, but it's fun. 50K in 30 days isn't so bad when you break it down. Just 1,700 words a day. That's very doable.

PrettySpecialGal
10-07-2007, 06:50 AM
Hey, Rhymegirl-- come on and do it!
Like I told P.H.-- If I can write and submit a poem into the current contest, you poets can play novel writing with the rest of us!

hehe

Siddow
10-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Unable to connect to database server
The NaNoWriMo site is overloaded with authors at the moment. Please come back in a little bit and try again. We're currently working hard on robustifying the site, so everyone can use the site without this stupid screen popping up.

I heart NaNo.

scarletpeaches
10-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Oh crap. I start work on the 3rd. Why do I have to be so fabulous that I get offered a job 24 hours a week?!

Forbidden Snowflake
10-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Being an extra geek is sad? Then my life is so pathetic... Oh, wait...

Actually extra geeks are cool. But I pretend to think it's sad. So that the cool non geek people find me cool too. :D

(I do hope, noone takes me seriously! :D )

MarkButler
10-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Woohoo! I'm getting pumped.. this is going to be a great Nano for me.

My first year I literally just started with a concept (Dirk Pitt in space) and the good guy (Dirk Pitt knockoff) and the bad guy (invincibility suit of absolute zero) - I had never written a novel length thingie before, did not know if I could write one much less plot one. I was afraid I would end up simply typing "put something interesting here" one thousand times per day. But I did it, and not only was it a tremendous amount of fun (I spent most of the time writing cliffhanger scenes then spending all day trying to figure out how to save him from it) and it was better than I hoped (after cleaning up its available as an audio-download from Podiobooks) and ended up going in directions I never would have thought of.

The second year, I knew I could write a book in that amount of time, so even though it was fun to just let it go where it wanted to, the story became pretty linear the first year so although it was a sequel with the same characters I focused on trying to plot it out better. I came up with about six general scenes and a general plot concept. I succeeded but realized that it still was not enough of a "novel", being complete in 50,000 words and without the good characterization and complexity I wanted it to become. It can still get there but will require major reworking.

This year, I am trying the other end of the spectrum. An actual outline, all the scenes plotted, things worked out beforehand. I hope it still leaves time for creative enhancement, but it will be very interesting to see how it goes. I've got a bunch worked out and I really like it, just wrestling with several different versions of the central conflict.

This years book is going to be a fantasy titled "Tales of Dunghill Fortress" and yes, "dunghill" is exactly what it sounds like and is central to the plot.

larrypotter
10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Sounds like people are all geared up. Excellent! And I hope all of the new-to-nano-folks are joining in the fun... it really is just the best writing experience!

Anyway, I have always written light-hearted fun little Nano novels. This year, I'm going for something more meaningful, deeper, more powerful. I plan to incorporate humor into my story (I like novels that make me laugh and move me -- David James Duncan, Salinger, Harper Lee), but the story-line is going to be people slogging their ways through their life-battles. I've been journaling about plot and characters, and my outline is coming soon. I really can't wait!!!

Mel
10-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Fantasy, if I can find the plot. Hiding on me, it is! Have few characters, some names I now hate, so back to the drawing board on those.

Last year I challenged myself to do 3. Two made it to 50K but the last one didn't. Still made me feel good that I did that much writing. Thinking of a new challenge this year, like maybe getting from the beginning to The End. That would be nice. A more extensive outline might work, so may try that. If I can find that pesky-hiding plot!

AnnieColleen
10-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Three? Ok, I'm impressed; I'm nervous about one!

Plotting away here. I'm not sure at this point I could separate out the plotting from characters or worldbuilding, since I keep running into things like, "Ok, so there's a 'what the heck do we do' meeting here...but, shoot, who would be up there; I don't know any characters in that area yet...ok, which AW name have I not grabbed yet..." ;) And then character breakthroughs mean I have to go back and rearrange what I have plotted so far, and round and round it goes.

kristie911
10-10-2007, 03:38 AM
I finally got signed up, though now the sign in page won't load for me.

I'm about 20,000 words into my current WIP but I've really be struggling with it. So I'm going to start something new that I've had churning in the back of my head for awhile and see if that jumpstarts my other novel. 50k in 30 days does seem a little scary, but it's the first year I've done it, so I'll be happy with whatever I get done. :)

Simran
10-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm in too!

Harper K
10-11-2007, 12:28 AM
I should have known... the NaNo excitement got to me, and I decided to come back for a seventh (!) year.

I originally thought I'd just keep going on the revisions for my current WIP and check into NaNo for the boards and write-ins, but over the past few days I've gotten excited about pounding out a first draft of a new work. I've had this one in mind for a while. It's a contemporary YA about two teenage sisters who live alone for a month while their mother is away, and the various identity-crisis-type things that happen to them while they have the run of the house.

I figure after I've done another 50,000-word marathon, I'll be ready to get back to the slowness of revising the other novel.

Woo hoo!

tjwriter
10-11-2007, 07:03 PM
I've signed up too. I think I have a story idea...

leenakincaid
10-12-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm contemplating about signing up for Nano. It (would? will?) be my first one but...IT'S SUCH A CONTROVERSIAL BOOK AND ANYWAY IT'S ABOUT MY SOPHOMORE YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL! Uhhh.....sorry, I am just a little nervous. What if someone there recognizes the characters and it turns into a huge scandal?

It's about a teacher-student relationship. That is my idea and I have written barely anything. So little, that I AM considering it to be a new idea.

L M Ashton
10-12-2007, 09:30 AM
leena, no one reads what you write unless you give it to them. Period. When you submit your stuff for word count verification at the end, it's not saved and is immediately deleted, but you can also use the replace feature of your word processing program to scramble it into entirely nonrecognizable bits. But that's it - you don't have to share it with anyone else ever.

Sunkissed27f
10-12-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm scared, very scared!!

I wish all of you a world of luck!!

benbradley
10-12-2007, 09:43 AM
I just got that $19.95 "kit" at Barnes&Noble, I presume the booklet in there is the same one as I've seen sold separately at some other big-box bookstore. I figure that's a ripoff donation to the nanowrimo New Server Fund, but I drive a long ways to get to a Real Bookstore, so I just went ahead and bought it. Now I've got all this Stuff, as if I were going to actually TELL anyone I'm going to attempt to write a novel in a month...
We're currently working hard on robustifying the site...
I heart NaNo.
It appears the site has indeed been robustified, but they still haven't put back the number of posts and links to each post under 'view profile.' I was relying on that, and I can't find all the fora that I'm SURE I posted to. I even posted on the singles forum last week and used the words "nanowrimo virgin" to try to get some interest...
I'm contemplating about signing up for Nano. It (would? will?) be my first one but...IT'S SUCH A CONTROVERSIAL BOOK AND ANYWAY IT'S ABOUT MY SOPHOMORE YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL! Uhhh.....sorry, I am just a little nervous. What if someone there recognizes the characters and it turns into a huge scandal?

It's about a teacher-student relationship. That is my idea and I have written barely anything. So little, that I AM considering it to be a new idea.
My understanding is you DON'T have to PUBLISH the thing, you don't even have to show it to anyone when you're through. Just go ahead and write it. THEN start worrying...

ALLWritety
10-12-2007, 02:40 PM
I have a project in mind that needs doing so I am using Nano to give me a deadline. I work much better with deadlines. This is however my 1st novel. My other books are very different format.

BRING IT ON!

Kevvers

Nahotep
10-13-2007, 03:49 AM
I just signed up. Gonna launch my YA novel and write my little heart out. A bit scared, but game.

I said hello in my regional forum, and it looks they are having a launch party or something before Nov. 1. Nice feeling part of a slightly insane, hell-bent group. There's a singles forum? Good golly. These NaNo folks are thorough!

Enzo
10-13-2007, 04:37 PM
I've decided to drop my hesitations and sign on next week after they clear up their site problems.
I've also dumped about half a dozen story ideas and will now go for: a sequel to my WIP.
My WIP - a thriller in Dutch - is about 70 percent ready, and should be completed by the end of January 2008 (instead of Dec 2007 before I decided to join nano). So I have enough story ideas left over to write a sequel for it during NaNo month.
By the time I start talking to publishers next year, I'll have one completed novel and I'll be at least 50,000 words into its sequel. That's the best Nano strategy I can think of.

Sai
10-15-2007, 07:10 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do Nano this year. I'm writing a horror story about a young women who meets her boyfriend's family for the first time over the Thanksgiving holiday. However, not only do they not like her, the MC is pretty sure their trying to kill her! I just thought of the title today ("Homicide for the Holidays") and also figured out what my story was missing: a mysterious drifter. So now I'm excited :).

Scribhneoir
10-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Oh, what the hell, I'm in. My current WIP can go on hiatus for November. Now all I've got to do is come up with an idea for Nano...

MarkButler
10-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Woohoo! We gots lots of people doing Nano this year.. its going to be great fun!

jessicab_87
10-15-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm so in! I love NaNo! :)

Sage
10-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Does anyone else have a box that asks you to download a .Net Password account (or something like that) every time you open this thread? It doesn't matter what computer I'm on, it pops up. It's beginning to worry me. I haven't connected it to anything except this thread.

AnnieColleen
10-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Not on my home computer (Firefox), but it does at work (IE, if that makes a difference). Weird.

(I haven't noticed if it's just this thread, though.)

bsolah
10-16-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm doing a horror/literary dark and angry novel that has something to do with hating work. I'm going to write it at work so I can something useful.

Sage
10-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Oh, hey, it didn't do it this time. Maybe... it's something on page 5? It did it at home, at work, & on my parent's computer when I visited them this weekend. I only made the connection to this thread today 'cuz I came in twice really quickly, & it popped up both times. Before I thought it was a monthly update the comps were all doing around the same time (though I couldn't figure out why sometimes it would pop up more than once a day after I hit cancel until today).

bsolah
10-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I've been getting this too; it's heaps weird

glassquill
10-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Fantasy for me, as always. Now, if I can just find a plot and some characters. :idea:

Scribhneoir
10-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Does anyone else have a box that asks you to download a .Net Password account (or something like that) every time you open this thread? It doesn't matter what computer I'm on, it pops up. It's beginning to worry me. I haven't connected it to anything except this thread.

Yes, I get that, too. The first day it happened, every time I clicked "cancel" to decline their insistent download offer, it booted me out of AOL all together. Now I still get it, but it lets me get rid of it without retaliation. It only happens here in the Nano forum.

Enzo
10-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Strange, I just got that box too, for the first time. I just registered with the nano site like ten minutes ago, so that's where it's coming from.

Sassee
10-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Not on my home computer (Firefox), but it does at work (IE, if that makes a difference). Weird.

(I haven't noticed if it's just this thread, though.)

It happens for two threads here in the NaNo section, and mostly when I'm clicking for a quick look. Not sure what that's all about.

truelyana
10-19-2007, 03:22 AM
I'm quite content, I reset my password on Nano as that somehow set off an idea. I got it written down so far, but no major outline as of yet. I'll wait and see, what else fondles out :D

jennifer75
10-19-2007, 03:28 AM
I'm gonna write about brownies.

Sassee
10-19-2007, 04:43 AM
You know, I keep changing my mind. First I was gonna write about werewolves and a puppy fiasco. Then I was going to write a more serious sequel to my WIP. Then I was gonna write about one of the entries I did for the scifi/fantasy challenge. Then I was gonna take a page blurb I have at home and turn it into a story. Then I thought, you know, preyer's elves are funny, maybe I'll do a story about them.

Curse this A.D.D. indecisiveness!

TheIT
10-19-2007, 04:45 AM
Last year I bounced around from idea to idea until about the last week before NaNo started, then settled. This year I think I have a better idea now of what I want to do, but it needs a second storyline. Next week will be my brainstorming and plotting week.

Sassee
10-20-2007, 01:51 AM
Wait, I got it...

preyer's nymphomaniac elves
+
space pirate amazon ninja catwomen (SPANC - is a real game, honest to god)
+
angsty vampires

whatdya think? any other stereotypical or otherwise silly things I can throw in there?

Sage
10-20-2007, 04:00 AM
Wait, I got it...

preyer's nympomaniac elves
+
space pirate amazon ninja catwomen (SPANC - is a real game, honest to god)
+
angsty vampires

whatdya think? any other stereotypical or otherwise silly things I can throw in there?
The dark side has cookies. Or pie.

Sassee
10-20-2007, 04:33 AM
The dark side has cookies. Or pie.

space pirate amazon ninja catwomen make cookies? I never knew...

truelyana
10-20-2007, 04:35 AM
I'm doing the 1900's, in England with William Shaftesbury and Beth Attire so far...

PastMidnight
10-20-2007, 04:43 AM
Truelyana, if you haven't already, you should check out the historical fiction forum on the NaNo board. I'm doing a historical as well!

truelyana
10-20-2007, 04:44 AM
Truelyana, if you haven't already, you should check out the historical fiction forum on the NaNo board. I'm doing a historical as well!

Oooh thank you for that. Will go check it right now :D

Mel
10-21-2007, 09:58 PM
You know, I keep changing my mind. First I was gonna write about werewolves and a puppy fiasco. Then I was going to write a more serious sequel to my WIP. Then I was gonna write about one of the entries I did for the scifi/fantasy challenge. Then I was gonna take a page blurb I have at home and turn it into a story. Then I thought, you know, preyer's elves are funny, maybe I'll do a story about them.

Curse this A.D.D. indecisiveness!

Do all three. Separately. Then you can bounce back and forth all you want. Problem solved. :D

AshleyBrize
10-24-2007, 10:09 PM
I've been wanting to write this for a couple months, so I'm glad I get an excuse to ignore my other books and start on this one now...

Boy goes on worldwide cruise with man-hating grandmother during his summer vacation. Grandmother dies seven days in. Boy carries grandmother's ashes around in a zip-lock bag so she can still "see" the world while enjoying a bit of an Odysseus-like adventure, himself.

I think this could be fun.

L M Ashton
10-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Ooooh, death! :D

rhymegirl
10-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Erotic fiction. I hope that's not against the rules.

Sage
10-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Erotic fiction. I hope that's not against the rules.
Even fanfiction's not against the rules.

rhymegirl
10-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Well, when I read the rules about posting on their message board, they made a big deal about not using profanity. And they said they will block out bad words.

And uh, there's gonna be plenty of profanity in an erotic novel.

bsolah
10-25-2007, 07:48 AM
Yeah, no profanity in the forums but you can use every cuss word in the dictionary in your novel. And there's a special forum for erotica.

rhymegirl
10-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Yeah, no profanity in the forums but you can use every cuss word in the dictionary in your novel. And there's a special forum for erotica.

Ooh, good to know. Thank you.

L M Ashton
10-25-2007, 07:52 AM
And it's understood that steaminess will occur in the erotic fiction forum. Yeah, not against the rules, just confine it to there.

Rhymegirl, I think you're misunderstanding something. Some forums are All-Ages forums (marked with a sun, I think), and there should be no profanity or such things there. Other forums are not so strict.

Sage
10-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Ooh, good to know. Thank you.
Here you go, chica: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/forum/164