Writing Challenge: Write a Drabble

Lorreign

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Have you ever written a drabble? They are actually pretty hard I think. A drabble, in case you don't know, is a story that is exactly 100 words. No more, no less. [SIZE=-1]The purpose of the drabble is to teach brevity and test author's ability to express interesting and meaningful ideas in an extremely confined space. Now, no one is going to to go behind you and count your words, but don't cheat! lol.

So anyway, what we are going to do here is the person above you will give you a theme. You are to take that theme and write a drabble and then say a theme for the next person. For example, I would be starting with the first theme and I could tell the next poster that their theme is, "A Wanted Poster." So they'd write a drabble based on what that inspires. It could be that the person in the drabble is on the wanted poster, or they are a cop reading a wanted poster, or just a passerby who thinks that that guy on the wanted poster looks like someone her mom used to date. Whatever, the possibilities are endless, yeah? :D

So I'll start and give the next person a theme. Then they write a drabble and pick a theme for the next person, got it?

Your theme is: A yellow scarf
[/SIZE]

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I hate yellow. I really do. So why on earth I bought that damned scarf, I’ll never know. It was just hanging there in the shop, between the fake animal fur gloves and the cheap looking diamente necklaces. And I had to have it. So now I’m stuck wearing it. And of course yellow is just not my colour. It reflects onto my face and makes me look jaundiced. Those damned street vendors! Strategically placed, aren’t they? Get me every time. There’s just no getting away from them. Maybe it’s time I learned to knit? And stay away from yellow!

Next Theme: A cracked photo frame.

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
I know. It was a little harsh. It really didn’t reflect the kind of person I am. It did actually reflect the person I had become over the last 4 months. A distorted portrayal of a ruined sense of self. And yet the act signaled the destruction of that phase. Not just an ending an full destruction. It can’t be put back together. I don’t want it to be resurrected. I had to send that message. Destruction, ending, obliteration. Point of no return. Paper shredded by glass entangled in twisted metal. The image it had once displayed now was released.

Next Theme: One long stemmed rose lying in a street.

Last edited:

Scribbler17

Registered
Reaction score
Even now that night sticks in my mind like a wad of gum. It mashes itself further in the folds of my brain every time I bring it to bear. Her telling me she’d rather be with him. Him driving off with her. My heart crushed with the weight of it all. I thought the rose could speak for me. I’m sorry. I love you. That’s the truth and you need to know it. But with taillights in the distance, and me alone, I can feel its failure. A sting, worse than from a thorn. I drop it and run.

Next Theme: An Ace of Spades

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
The heat bore down and the sweat dripping into my eyes stung. My calves were pounding with each step I took. My arms were now sunburned as I gripped that lawnmower handle , just hanging on. A simple glance into the curtainless window at all the boxes stacked up reminded me it was so worth it. Under normal circumstances, a task like this would be hard to endure. But at this house I felt like dancing through the rest of the job. I would soon stand and admire the resulting beauty. All Mine. All thanks to one Ace of Spades.

Next Theme:
Computer error message