PDA

View Full Version : What's the best thing about summertime?

rhymegirl
07-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Is it the hot weather?

The food?

The sandals and flip flops?

JJ Cooper
07-27-2007, 05:03 PM
I can't think about summer at the moment when I'm freezing my ___ in Aus.

JJ

aadams73
07-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Ice cream.

seun
07-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Best thing about summer? I'll have to wait for next summer to answer that one seeing as this one has been cancelled.

Shadow_Ferret
07-27-2007, 05:31 PM
The fact that its not winter.

dpaterso
07-27-2007, 05:55 PM
When all the pale girls suddenly put on colorful breezy dresses and go out walking in the sun and start looking like Indian actresses (http://images.google.com/images?q=Preity+Zinta).

-Derek

Siddow
07-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Midnight skinny dipping in the lake.

Sitting on the deck with a glass of wine, watching the tiki torches flicker.

Heading to the beach for a three-day de-tox in the ocean. Did you know that salt water pulls toxins from your skin? How cool is that?

Running through sprinklers.

Afternoon thunderstorms.

cray
07-27-2007, 06:44 PM
watching your kids maul an ice cream cone

BenPanced
07-27-2007, 06:52 PM
I work in an air conditioned office.

davids
07-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Sigh

rhymegirl
07-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Sigh

And what does that sigh signify????

You can't think of anything good about summertime?

You're watching bikini-clad girls walk by and wish you were young again?

Your ice cream just dripped all over your new white shirt?

You forgot to do your 100 sit-ups this morning?

CaroGirl
07-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Shaving my legs and buying a bathing suit. No. Wait a minute. That's what I hate about summer.

I love standing in a warm breeze, wearing a sundress and drinking a cold beer.

davids
07-27-2007, 07:56 PM
And what does that sigh signify????

You can't think of anything good about summertime?

You're watching bikini-clad girls walk by and wish you were young again?

Your ice cream just dripped all over your new white shirt?

You forgot to do your 100 sit-ups this morning?

The sigh of sweet remembering-of girls like you who passed me by with a slight smile that spoke to me of loinal passion-and this at an age when one has only loinal embers-and hell yah I did my crunches this morning-you think I am getting all softicated on yas----Sigh-----now where is that damned pink napkin I think I spillded me ice cream----Sigh!!!!

Well what the hell did ya think I was gonna say-it is Silly Friday woman-now gimme twenty-hell you should be able to give me forty or fifty by now-cut the crap and do the crunches!!!!

rhymegirl
07-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Well what the hell did ya think I was gonna say-it is Silly Friday woman-now gimme twenty-hell you should be able to give me forty or fifty by now-cut the crap and do the crunches!!!!

Yeah, about those crunches---I did so many the other day that the next day my stomach was really sore. But it's fine now.

And, Dave, I thought you were gonna make a crack when I mentioned that ice cream.

Just so you know, I have been eating popsicles instead of ice cream. Only fifty calories or so.

Magdalen
07-27-2007, 08:50 PM
The best thing about summertime is walking through my garden in the cool of the evening, inhaling the rich scents of flora and damp soil, feeling like God before I got the stupid, stupid idea to create humans.

scarletpeaches
07-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Fat old men with their shirts off, wearing socks with sandals. Mmm-mmm!

davids
07-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah, about those crunches---I did so many the other day that the next day my stomach was really sore. But it's fine now.

And, Dave, I thought you were gonna make a crack when I mentioned that ice cream.

Just so you know, I have been eating popsicles instead of ice cream. Only fifty calories or so.

What? Me? Make a crack? Popcycles huh-I never thought you'd drop for a cream-a cycle-yah I can imagine that-but not no damn cream-besides which I am starting to realize you are at least marginally serious-hence the no pain no gain cramps and OH CHRIST I LOOK FREAKING TERRIFIC CAUSE WHAT I AM TAKING CARE TO BE WHAT I CAN BE IN SPITE OF THEM THOSE AND THE DAMNED OTHERS-YOU DA BEST GIRL-PROUD OF YOU AND PROUD TO LET EVERY SLACK LUSTER PANTY WAIST FATTY KNOW I IS!

Jaycinth
07-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Beer.
Crabs.
Veggies you can eat from the vine.
Fresh fruit, local and in season.
The greens.
The blues.
All the pretty colors.
No cat box.
Windows open on many days.
Flowers.
A day that starts at 5am and ends at 9:30 pm.
Thunder storms.
Grillin'.
Swimmin'.
Frocks.
Shorts.
Halters.
Bright, expressive, nail colors.
Walking.

jennifer75
07-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Beer.
Crabs.
The greens.
The blues.
All the pretty colors.
No cat box.
Flowers.
Thunder storms.
Grillin'.
Swimmin'.
Frocks.
Shorts.
Halters.
Walking.

Sorry, you really threw me through a loop with that second thing...

The long days are great.

jennifer75
07-27-2007, 09:49 PM
I can't think about summer at the moment when I'm freezing my ___ in Aus.

JJ

Not to tease you but yes, to tease you, it's 9:15 AM and its about 77 degrees, where I am. :)

rhymegirl
07-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Beer.
Crabs.
The greens.
The blues.
All the pretty colors.
No cat box.
Flowers.
Thunder storms.
Grillin'.
Swimmin'.
Frocks.
Shorts.
Halters.
Walking.

That is a very nice list! You get an A+.

rhymegirl
07-27-2007, 09:56 PM
And Jennifer75, an A+ for your lovely beach avatar.

rhymegirl
07-27-2007, 09:58 PM

I've never tried this.

ottorino
07-27-2007, 10:07 PM
girls in tank-tops!

MattW
07-27-2007, 10:10 PM
I would say grilling and sitting in a hammock, but I don't have a backyard or even a balcony.

And I burn, and hate the feeling of sunblock.

And sand burns my delicate feet.

So summer is pretty much the same as any other season for me.

jennifer75
07-27-2007, 10:15 PM
And Jennifer75, an A+ for your lovely beach avatar.

Yea wouldn't it be great to just sit there in the sun or under an umbrella, nice cold beer or pina colada or whatever you like, nothing but the sound of the water....oh wait, I was just in Cancun 2 weeks ago...is it too soon to wish for it all over again?

necia phoenix
07-27-2007, 10:19 PM
the best thing about summer?
six kids, a hose, a water loving dog and watermelon... all at the same time! :D

Esopha
07-27-2007, 10:23 PM
I would say...cheesy, overrated, bubblegum pop songs that you'd never listen to any other time of the year, because the rest of the year you're too crabby. They make me happy. As a music nut, bubblegum pop is my guilty pleasure. :D

rhymegirl
07-27-2007, 10:36 PM
I would say...cheesy, overrated, bubblegum pop songs that you'd never listen to any other time of the year, because the rest of the year you're too crabby. They make me happy. As a music nut, bubblegum pop is my guilty pleasure. :D

Interesting. Can you give us an example of one? I kinda like that stuff, too.

Esopha
07-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Like 'Yummy, Yummy, Yummy I've Got Love in my Tummy?' Or, 'Girlfriend' by Avril Lavigne, 'Beautiful Girls' by Sean Kingston, 'Take On Me' by a-ha (which really isn't overrated, I love Take On Me, it's my ringtone) and absolutely everything sung by ABBA?

The rest of the year, I listen to Sarah McLachlan, exit clov, Gwen Stefani and Queen. Lots of Queen.

rhymegirl
07-27-2007, 11:51 PM
I saw this movie with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore--about songwriters. Can't even remember the name of it. Words and Music, maybe?

Anyways, Hugh Grant played a singer, a has-been. Their group did silly songs, maybe you'd call it bubblegum pop. One of their songs was Pop, Goes My Heart. A catchy song, but kinda stupid.

I used to like Sugar, Sugar by the Archies. Really trite and dumb, but catchy.

Esopha
07-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Music and Lyrics! I love that movie. Pop, Goes My Heart was my friend's ringtone for a while. I want to get the soundtrack.

Oh, I've heard Sugar, Sugar. I can't find a used CD, though, and I don't want to spend any of my iTunes gift card on it.

What about Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison? It's not bubblegum pop at all, but it's the ultimate summer song. And Hey, Julia by Robert Palmer, and absolutely anything by Jimmy Buffet...

Ah, music.

rhymegirl
07-28-2007, 12:17 AM
What about Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison? It's not bubblegum pop at all, but it's the ultimate summer song. And Hey, Julia by Robert Palmer, and absolutely anything by Jimmy Buffet...

Ah, music.

I love Brown Eyed Girl. But my husband can't sing it to me cuz I have blue eyes.

robeiae
07-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Is it the hot weather?

The food?

The sandals and flip flops?
It's the hot sex in sandals with ice cream.

Either that or going to the beach.

RLB
07-28-2007, 12:32 AM
Not feeling like an idiot for ordering a Frappuccino.

(which is how I feel in the dead of winter)

zahra
07-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Can't remember. England in the grip of the kind of weather that had animals lining up two by two, in earlier times. I feel a trip to Florida coming on. Be still my beating credit card...

Silver King
07-28-2007, 03:11 AM
Watching a tarpon jump when it's hooked, climbing up and up and up, a silver streak of polished scales, wet and shaking; the gill plates open and its fins stiffen as water flies outward and the tail works back and forth, seeming to propel the fish aloft until it hangs in the sky, mounted on the horizon for an instant before turning and falling headfirst into the green Gulf, the ensuing splash a curling series of foam that settles back to the surface and seals the fish inside its element, leaving behind the taut line that binds angler to fish as the only evidence the tarpon exists at all.

Mom'sWrite
07-28-2007, 03:17 AM
Mojitos in the evening shade.

Swimming naked.

Sleeping late.

davids
07-28-2007, 03:20 AM
Watching a tarpon jump when it's hooked, climbing up and up and up, a silver streak of polished scales, wet and shaking; the gill plates open and its fins stiffen as water flies outward and the tail works back and forth, seeming to propel the fish aloft until it hangs in the sky, mounted on the horizon for an instant before turning and falling headfirst into the green Gulf, the ensuing splash a curling series of foam that settles back to the surface and seals the fish inside its element, leaving behind the taut line that binds angler to fish as the only evidence the tarpon exists at all.

Ooh yah-I think Silver has a hard on!! you have painted a beautiful painting I will admit-quit extraordinarilly so!!!! Then dear friend there is the sweat-that beautiful salty sweat as your arms hurt so much they wanna fall off-yes that wonderful feeling as you slip that fish back to it's home-where you have interupted it's life while it fends for itself-it's search to murder the prey-fill it's guts-back again dear friend-softly-quietly-thanking-yes thanking-oh the peace of the hunt-shit I feel myself getting hard-better be off I suppose to be a part of the fish

Silver King
07-28-2007, 03:28 AM
Ooh yah-I think Silver has a hard on!!
How did you guess? We call them tarpon bones. They happen frequently during and long after the battle has ended. And pity the poor woman who greets the tired angler after a hard day of fishing, in particular if he has caught several tarpon and brings home an insatiable desire...

davids
07-28-2007, 03:31 AM
How did you guess? We call them tarpon bones. They happen frequently during and long after the battle has ended. And pity the poor woman who greets the tired angler after a hard day of fishing, in particular if he has caught several tarpon and brings home an insatiable desire...

Our kind of fishing old bean-no wonder the old girl has nothing against a day on the water-she often--Comes----along!!!!

Silver King
07-28-2007, 03:45 AM
Our kind of fishing old bean-no wonder the old girl has nothing against a day on the water-she often--Comes----along!!!!
Mine does as well. Sadly, however, when she fights one, and for some time after, amorous thoughts are the last thing on her mind. She looks pretty damn good fighting a fish though, with all that pumping and reeling and groaning and sweating, which is enough to send lesser men overboard in an attempt to cool off the rising passion her image evokes.

rhymegirl
07-28-2007, 03:50 AM
Mine does as well. Sadly, however, when she fights one, and for some time after, amorous thoughts are the last thing on her mind. She looks pretty damn good fighting a fish though, with all that pumping and reeling and groaning and sweating, which is enough to send lesser men overboard in an attempt to cool off the rising passion her image evokes.

Ooh. Nice imagery there.

SK, I think you should write an erotica fishing novel.

Silver King
07-28-2007, 03:57 AM
Ooh. Nice imagery there.

SK, I think you should write an erotica fishing novel.
Great idea! We'll call it, Moby's Dick.

rhymegirl
07-28-2007, 04:02 AM
Great idea! We'll call it, Moby's Dick.

Ha ha!! Start working on that right now. I'll buy a copy. :)

Esopha
07-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Never again will I go fishing with my family.

I forgot one crucial thing about summer: home grown tomatoes and freshly made salsa.

Justin91
07-28-2007, 05:31 AM
Lemonade
The smell in the air before a thunderstorm rolls in
Sitting on the deck watching a thunderstorm roll in
Swimming
Hiking
Getting a tan
Working in the garden
Swimming
Wearing sandals (without socks!)
Kayaking
Vacations to the beach!!!
Reading outside late in the evening
Late evening cool breeze, Glass of wine, relaxing in our hot tub looking at the stars.
Camping and making smores
Cold beer in a cooler...

Gotta stop...got some wine to drink, there is a storm blowing through;)

TrainofThought
07-28-2007, 05:54 AM

Sitting on the deck with a glass of wine, watching the tiki torches flicker.

Heading to the beach for a three-day de-tox in the ocean. Did you know that salt water pulls toxins from your skin? How cool is that?

Running through sprinklers.

Afternoon thunderstorms.
See above.

threedogpeople
07-28-2007, 06:42 AM
Shorts, sandals, painted toe nails, sleeping bare (without freezing or going broke)

AND, best of all, daylight until 11:00 p.m.

stormie
07-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Celebrating my birthday. Celebrating my sisters' birthdays. Celebrating Independance Day. Celebrating every day. Can you tell I love to celebrate?

shakeysix
07-28-2007, 08:12 AM
10 weeks of doing absolutely nothing but when i go to the mailbox that pay check is still there. come mid august and i am an underpaid overworked stressed out verb conjugating bitch on wheels but for ten weeks i am beholden to no one. except the veggies in my garden. the other veggies are their parent's problem--s6

rhymegirl
07-28-2007, 10:40 PM
I never did answer this question.

I think it's sitting outside and reading a good book.

Just Mike
07-28-2007, 10:55 PM
A hammock. Well, that and a book as thick as my head.

Mud Dauber
07-29-2007, 03:23 AM
shorts, tanks and flip flops

bird watching (makes me happy to see the robins taking a bird bath:D ) and bird-listening;) I love the variety of songs all summer long

thunderstorms

sleeping with the windows open, getting a delightful breeze

cicadas! LOL not the 17 year ones, but I love, love, love when the yearly ones get here around July... their sound brings me instantly to childhood summers

reading, lounging, sleeping in my three-person swing in the backyard

paprikapink
07-29-2007, 03:35 AM
Lotsa daylight
Shaved legs
No school
Cherry tomatoes in the backyard
Heirloom tomatoes in the frontyard
Roma tomatoes in the roadway where they've spilled out of the tomato trucks on their way to the cannery

swvaughn
07-29-2007, 03:45 AM
The bugs!

No, wait...

The humidity!

That's not it...

The people demanding that I stop "hiding in the house" (in other words, writing) and "get some sunshine!"

Uh, no. Wait...

It's not winter!

Yeah. What Shadow Ferret said. :D

Soccer Mom
07-29-2007, 05:30 AM
Flip flops

kids in the pool

tank tops

fishing for catfish down at the stock pond

hanging out at the barn around 8:30, watching the sunset with my horses

grilling a steak

sitting on my porch

putting on the sprinkler for my Labs, so they can play in the water too

Keyboard Hound
07-29-2007, 06:38 AM
There's only about seven more weeks of it!

Fingers
07-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Being able to take my float tube up to the mountains and go fishing in Harriet Lake. Seeing once again, the family of otters that lives there and seeing how many new ones were born. Being able to paddle quietly up to them and have them swim around me and be as curious about me as I am about them. To see the eagles and ospreys and ravens. To call the ospreys and have them take a fish Ive caught and fly off with it in their talons. To be the only person catching fish and having all the other fisherman come to me and ask what Im using.
Not quite as poetic as SilverKing, but it works for me.

yer pal Brian

Bmwhtly
07-29-2007, 12:48 PM
bird watching
<In best David Attenborough impression>

Here, we see the female of the species. As you can see, she's shed her frumpy winter plumage and now, due to the warm weather, walks around all tanned and smooth.

rhymegirl
07-29-2007, 08:44 PM
<In best David Attenborough impression>

Here, we see the female of the species. As you can see, she's shed her frumpy winter plumage and now, due to the warm weather, walks around all tanned and smooth.

Are you sure you're talking about birds, Ben????

Marlys
07-29-2007, 08:47 PM
The best thing about summertime?

It used to be the Tour de France.

shakeysix
07-29-2007, 08:49 PM
i think this is about mrs. shakey smith, the high school teacher--s6

Ziljon
07-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Resting in dappled sunlight on a blanket beneath an old oak tree.

shakeysix
07-29-2007, 09:16 PM
and the frogs who snarf them--s6

Inky
07-29-2007, 10:05 PM
My daughters. No more school. During the year, it's early morning rush, homework loads that could shame a college student, bed times that make everyone suffer if not adhered to, butthead teachers, school politics, blah, blah, blah....

Summer = enjoy sunrise with tea, enjoy sunset walks with my daughters, traveling to Scotland with them & introducing them to falconing, lazy days hiking/backpacking, hanging out, board games, rented DVD's, theater, movies, much, much, much laughter...

I have great kids; summer affords us all to come up for air & get to know one another again. I'm the biggest cry baby, that first day back to school...I miss them terribly, even though it's just the day that they're away....

aka eraser
07-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Impromptu neighbourhood get-togethers that start in the late afternoon - wherein drinks appear (and disappear!) like magic and yummy morsels are coming off somebody's barbeque every few minutes until late into the evening.

jhtatroe
07-29-2007, 10:56 PM
The feel of grass on bare toes, flowers blooming in pots on the porch, zippy novels with a healthy dose of shoe lust and handbag envy, spinning circles in an afternoon thunderstorm, the smell of chlorinated pool water, cotton candy at the county fair, corn on the cob, that luscious relief of the sun going down and the breeze coming in after dark,

Inky
07-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Impromptu neighbourhood get-togethers that start in the late afternoon - wherein drinks appear (and disappear!) like magic and yummy morsels are coming off somebody's barbeque every few minutes until late into the evening.
Ahhh... yep yep...those are some of the-best-afternoon/eves. And the kids are playing until twilight has sighed into late night darkness, mosquito torches flicker, kids laughter & shrieks die down to crowding around DVD while parents laugh & share marital/kids/job/childhood funny stories...around the campfire of friendship.

MonaLeigh
07-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Wearing less
Everybody comes outside
The beach
The festivals
No snow!

Mom'sWrite
07-30-2007, 12:30 AM
and the frogs who snarf them--s6

I miss the fireflies and their froggie consumers more than I can say.

(My kids have a privileged life but they have never caught a firefly or even seen one and so they have missed out on so much.)

davids
07-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Me taking a passagiatta in my best Italian silks-using my best Mastroiani voice-Signorina you are so beautiful-forgive me I could not reeesist but the sun in your hair-why is it bella signorina that this sun reflects so-how you say-dully in the presents of yooar smile-forgive me bella signorina I am an old man-I have not a lot of time-I must stop myahself and ask you if we could perhaps have one small capppuco together-your grace and beauty to help such a poor man to be able to-how you say-seet gently in the well of your beauty?

alright ladie make fun of me but the question was a summer one and hey that is me! I could just say-hey beautiful broad wanna come on over and sit on me yacht? It works to but the beautiful ladies do not like it nor do the unromantic ones care for my first summer Italian silk pasted here-buy you all know I am romantic and not dangerous so you would all be gracious with me and have a cappucho-or? After all it is the twilight of my summers and I am but a harmless elderly gentleman with 1000 dollar Italian silks-what is a poor signor to do-eh?

Jaycinth
07-30-2007, 06:49 PM

Marry me.

rhymegirl
07-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Jay, I think he's already taken.

Maybe you could get him cloned.