PDA

View Full Version : Is relaxing a sin?

David Gonzalez
07-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Well I'm not err sure if this is the right forum but I guess I have to ask for some kind of err advice.

I have this "not so serious" problem of not being able to relax, like I have to be on the lookout and always demand too much of myself. While I've been writing i noticed that i rarely relax and always keep thinking "businesslike" (ex. i have to do this.., i have to revise this, i have to clean this and that, need to see movie and go home to finish doing X or Y thing)

It sounds like a workaholic issue somehow(for me), then again I can be utterly wrong since sometimes I have to force myself relax as in sleeping too much or being in the bed for too long.

I'm the kind of person that keeps thinking and thinking no matter what happens around, i got good grades and well as i have said in the introduction i want to aspire to be a writer. You could say I'm trying "way too hard" so the paragraph or sentence always ends up in some kind of unreadable mess

BenPanced
07-25-2007, 04:28 AM
Well, sloth is one of the Seven Deadly Sins. Is that how you view relaxing?

William Haskins
07-25-2007, 04:41 AM
you should read gurdjieff.

blacbird
07-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Depends on the context. If you're having a really nice evening with your significant other . . .

caw

newmod
07-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Sin is often relaxing

Bartholomew
07-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Sin is often relaxing

Sin. Is this a brand of cigarette or something? I've never heard of it before.

MMcC
07-25-2007, 11:37 AM
In all seriousness, this could be a problem if you are working on novels.

I used to be SO much like you. I was a features writer/critic/freelance article person and it didn't impact me negatively because tight, focused, edgy energy worked well for me when I was on deadlines for short pieces.

A bunch of stuff happened in my life. I had cancer, beat it 4 times, but almost didn't. Then was diagnosed with a terminal (slow, long term) lung disease. During the past 5 years I have been forced to slow down. I went into semi-retirement and decided to write the novels I'd always dreamed about.

Honestly, I could not work on a larger piece like a novel with my former personality. The reason I never could write larger pieces in my pre-awakening years was an inability to ride the flow. I edited, re-edited, micro-managed, fussed, and eventually killed everything I attempted. There are three complete novels in my closet I finished in those years, and they are all crap. Most of the time I quit in frustration and went back to "real" work.

Now, I resist the temptation to overthink things. I write as it comes, and when an idea or inspiration strikes me, I make sure I get it down somewhere, but it can sit there unmolested for as long as it needs to. I find leaving an idea/theme/spark alone lets it grow.

This is just my experience, of course. I have no idea what kind of writer you are, so please take it with a grain of salt... it just seemed to relate a bit.

threedogpeople
07-25-2007, 12:08 PM
The Bible says that God created the world in 6 days then "on the 7th day he rested" so I don't think it is a sin.

CoriSCapnSkip
07-25-2007, 12:41 PM
When I seem to be slacking too much I like to remember that "a writer is always working."

aadams73
07-25-2007, 01:39 PM
No, relaxation is not a sin, but I understand where you're coming from. I used to work 7 days a week and would beat myself up if I wasn't. Finally, my husband said, "No on can work all the time." Now I schedule my relaxation time.

larocca
07-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Stop relaxing! Get back to work!

No, wait, that's what I tell myself. You, on the other hand, can take a break. Go ahead, relax. The world will be waiting for you when you get back.

There. Feel better? Good. Now get back to work!

(Seriously, what am I gonna say that you don't already know?)

Ken Schneider
07-25-2007, 03:42 PM
I hope not, 'cause I'm the king of relaxing. Is that the same as lazy?

You have to turn it on and off. You'll be dead by fifity if you stay wired like that.

cray
07-25-2007, 06:02 PM
you're young. run with it.
eventually, you'll get over it and find some balance.

Kate Thornton
07-25-2007, 06:38 PM
It's hard *not* to relax in beautiful Puerto Rico.

I think cray's right - you're young, eventually you'll *want* to relax. Kids'll do that to you...

benbradley
07-25-2007, 07:11 PM
I spent a year and a half on Long Island after living the first four decades of my life in and around Atlanta. One thing I immediately learned was where Atlanta's most aggressive drivers came from. But over time there I seem to have gotten infected by the "work, work, work" attitude of New Yorkers - I may only work a little harder than before, but I feel like a lamer that I don't work a LOT harder. It's been years and I'm still trying to 'unwind' from that attitude.

The higher pace of life on Long Island was the one negative thing that I expected, but I didn't know how strongly it would affect me.

I don't know if that's anything like what you're experiencing, but your post sure reminded me of my experience.

Well, sloth is one of the Seven Deadly Sins. Is that how you view relaxing?
So is Pride (I'd head of the Seven Deadly Sins all my life, but I actualy learned about these Sins in a book called "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions"), so if you're wanting to avoid all of those sins, be sure not to be proud of your work. :poke:

Sin. Is this a brand of cigarette or something? I've never heard of it before.
You might want to ask this in your long "questions about Christianity" thread.

davids
07-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Relaxing is a terrible sin-get back to work!!! Actually it can be at least marginally enjoyable if you are holding something soft and cuddly in your arms

David Gonzalez
07-25-2007, 08:18 PM
It's hard *not* to relax in beautiful Puerto Rico.

I think cray's right - you're young, eventually you'll *want* to relax. Kids'll do that to you...
Sorry, while it's true PR is beautiful but living here is a bit of a nightmare... like everyone in town knows a lot about you >_>
you're young. run with it.
eventually, you'll get over it and find some balance.
Lately I have been sleeping less.. so you could say i have my eyes all black :(
Stop relaxing! Get back to work!

No, wait, that's what I tell myself. You, on the other hand, can take a break. Go ahead, relax. The world will be waiting for you when you get back.

There. Feel better? Good. Now get back to work!

(Seriously, what am I gonna say that you don't already know?)
Well, I think i'm the kind of person that likes to hear other comments (a bit of a problem if i plan to live alone)
In all seriousness, this could be a problem if you are working on novels.

I used to be SO much like you. I was a features writer/critic/freelance article person and it didn't impact me negatively because tight, focused, edgy energy worked well for me when I was on deadlines for short pieces.

A bunch of stuff happened in my life. I had cancer, beat it 4 times, but almost didn't. Then was diagnosed with a terminal (slow, long term) lung disease. During the past 5 years I have been forced to slow down. I went into semi-retirement and decided to write the novels I'd always dreamed about.

Honestly, I could not work on a larger piece like a novel with my former personality. The reason I never could write larger pieces in my pre-awakening years was an inability to ride the flow. I edited, re-edited, micro-managed, fussed, and eventually killed everything I attempted. There are three complete novels in my closet I finished in those years, and they are all crap. Most of the time I quit in frustration and went back to "real" work.

Now, I resist the temptation to overthink things. I write as it comes, and when an idea or inspiration strikes me, I make sure I get it down somewhere, but it can sit there unmolested for as long as it needs to. I find leaving an idea/theme/spark alone lets it grow.

This is just my experience, of course. I have no idea what kind of writer you are, so please take it with a grain of salt... it just seemed to relate a bit.
Wow! That's almost what happening to me... except for the diseases...
'frustration taking the best of me not being able to fully express what I want while writing. so i tend to keep studying new words and more ways redact

I haven't even started Uni yet! I just turned 19 this month.. so you could say ive been a few years trying hard..

Plot Device
07-25-2007, 08:22 PM
The Bible says that God created the world in 6 days then "on the 7th day he rested" so I don't think it is a sin.

Two thumbs up.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

I believe Tony Campolo (highly regarded Christian writer, speaker, and college professor who served as an unofficial spiritual advisor to President Bill Clinton during the latter years of his administration) has some excellent things to say about keeping a proper balance between work and liesure in his non-fiction book The Seven Deadly Sins. (That book was published in the early 1980's, so it preceded the Denzel Washington film by over a decade.) As does CS Lewis in his very short and world-reknowned fantasy novel The Screwtape Letters (soon to be a major motion picture).

blacbird
07-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Sorry, while it's true PR is beautiful but living here is a bit of a nightmare... like everyone in town knows a lot about you >_>

You might be surprised how many places in the States where that's also true.

caw