Agents and Publishers Interested in Fantasy First Novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencilone

Hello Everyone,

I've got some books about this subject (Writer's Market, Guide to Literary Agents, etc.), but I'm more interested to know real life people's opinions, recommendations and thoughts on 'breaking in' with a fantasy novel for a beginning writer with no previous publishing experience.

Is 'no publishing experience' a real stopper for everyone to even read such a novel?

What experiences you had and what suggestions would you make?

All ideas most welcome,

Pencilone

arrowqueen

I don't see why it should be, Pencilone. Everybody starts out with 'no publishing experience.' As long as your story's a cracker, you should be in with a shout.

Good luck,
aq

veingloree

Several of the main publishers actually state their openness to manuscripts from unpublished authors. Tor certainly, also, I think, Baen and Daw.

detante

All agents and publishers wants good manuscripts, no matter how experienced the author. Everyone is hoping to discover the next J. K. Rowling.

Cheers,
Jen

James D Macdonald

If you've written a good book it will sell. Maybe not to the first place you send it, or the second, but sooner rather than later.

If you haven't written a good book it won't sell, no matter how many times you send it out (to legitimate paying markets).

-----------

While you're sending it around, write another book.

Jamesaritchie

book

James is right. Publishers and agent want good novels. If you have a good novel and agent will take it and so will a publisher. If you have a bad book, no one will want it.

Most are very bad, but this just means it's easier to sell the good ones.

maestrowork

Re: book

I have to add one thing, though. You have to match the book/writer with the right publisher or agent. Just because your book is good is not enough. If you have a wonderful fantasy, you need to find a publisher or agent that deals with fantasy. It may seem obvious and a given, but many first time writers don't recognize the importance of it. The right thing at the right time at the right place with the right people.

pencilone

The Market For Fantasy Novels

Thanks for the nice words and for the encouragement (it's good to hear that a good story has a real chance even from a newbie, and NOT that there are more chances to get struck by lightening or more chances to win the lottery ;) ).

Do you guys think that the market for fantasy novels has increased in the past years (with the success of Rowling, Pullman etc.)?

Do you think that maybe it's easier now to break into it, than lets say 10 years ago?

What was for you the most difficult thing you had to overcome while writing your first novel? (I hope you're not going to be put off by this question:eek: ).

The most difficult thing for me is the discipline of writing every day (even if I try to treat writing like a job, my 2 little kids don't always let me ;) ).

All ideas and thoughts most welcome,

Pencilone

Risseybug

Re: The Market For Fantasy Novels

I don't know, Pencilone, but if you find one, will you tell me who it is?? :b
I am on the same path you are, first book finished and noone to read it :) Now I just don't have the desire/energy to work on the next one. I have about 2000 words written and nothing else wants to come out. It's going to be great once I do!
After I get back the rest of my rejections from agents I am going to try some publishers. Tor IS on my list.

BTW, I write YA/Middle grade fantasy.

Yeshanu

Risseybug,

Just be aware that not all publishers of fantasy publish YA/middle grade material. You need to look specifically for publishers who bring out books for that age group. If the publisher doesn't mention it publishes YA/middle grade fantasy, and if a check of the "Teen" section of your local bookstore shows no books on the shelves from that publisher, you'll need to take it off your list.

Same thing goes for agents, I would think.

Oh, and keep writing. From what I've read, first books rarely sell, but second and third and fourth ones are more likely to find a home. So don't pin all your hopes on the masterpiece now making the rounds...

Best of luck. :thumbs

Risseybug

Thank you :) yes, many of the Fantasy publishers I've found say NO to childrens books, but some are not against it. Both Tor and Mundania accept them, for which I am grateful, because it's not easy to find someone who will publish a children/YA book who's not an imprint of the "big six".

Actually this is just the first book I've finished. I've started at least one other. I just really want people to read it - I have no dreams of fame and fortune with it, just want to have it in a bookstore. That will do, for now.

SFEley

Pencilone wrote:
Do you think that maybe it's easier now to break into it, than lets say 10 years ago?
It is for me. But that's got nothing to do with the market -- it's because I'm ten years older and took the time to write a good book.

Have Fun,
- Steve Eley

Jamesaritchie

It's often easier to find the publisher first, then find the agent. Look for the top five publishers who have released novels as much like yours as possible. Read as many of these novels as possible. Then get the names of the agents who sold these novels to the publishers. That's the best chance you have of finding an agent who will represent and sell your novel.

pencilone

Re: Inside TOR

Many thanks to all for the valuable advice.

I thought I should share an article about TOR:

Regards,

Pencilone
PS: The images of slush piles lining up the office are just as I expected (in my nightmares!) :ack :grin :ha ...

TerriLynn

Chris Keesler at Dorchester is hot...for fantasy :grin ...try there.

ChunkyC

Hey! There's my manuscript! Right there, 137th from the top in the eighth pile from the left.... :grin

Lori Basiewicz

Hey, at least you have proof they received it. ;)

ChunkyC

If only there was a picture of someone reading it.... :b

Lori Basiewicz

Are you sure about that? The only person reading something was asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.