Narrative Non-Fiction question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Is it out of line to mention the internet and message board in a memoir or other narrative NF book? What about AW? Has it been brought up in any books? I personally love this community so much because all of you are wonderful writers, and talented with words. To be praised by one of you feels awesome, we're all on our own roads to success with writing careers.

I put it to you, is it wrong to want to mention AW and people you're friends with who make a difference in your life? Is it wrong to put the internet and mention message boards and try to express in words the feeling of belonging? I have a book I am writing about something and I talk about using writing as a coping tool, how it makes me feel good, like eating chocolate good. ;)

But in all seriouness, what do you think? Really? ;) :) To the excellent mods and admins, if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it to the proper forum. I am not expecting to get detailed about my WIP, not until I have the query for it. So this isn't self-promotion, it's a genuine set of questions and I appreciate each and every reply made. :)

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
To answer you directly as to whether you could mention AW in your NF: if it is not libellous, and no money changes hands, then I would think that the owner would be very pleased for what amounts to free publicity/ very low cost or no cost marketing.

[As to the matter of sharing views on the abilities of the many writers here, I think that this is something best done privately via PM].

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, I wasn't talking about sharing artistic vision, just mentioning that I go here and have found a writer's commadery here. It's not something I would ever dream of doing, being libelious I mean, just not going to happen, I enjoy my time here at AW and in this new WIP I mentioned all kinds of 80's bands and album titles too. But I already knew titles were okay, hence this set of questions. Is it wrong to mention a 'writer's community' you go to? Is it okay to mention the title in passing in a work of non-fiction? ;)

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I would answer no and yes to your last two questions.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks ATP. :D I figured it would be fine. But thank you for voicing your POV on my questions. ;)

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
This may be irrelevant, but I belong to an online writers' community, and a lot of members have published books and novels. Several of them have mentioned the community in the acknowledgments section of their books.

Status
Not open for further replies.