PDA

View Full Version : Campus crypts for ashes.....

CACTUSWENDY
06-21-2007, 12:06 AM
;) Recently in the Phoenix Repbulic Newspaper an artical from the Los Angeles Times appeared.

"Campus crypts for ashes part of a growing trend"

The title alone was enough to cause me to read it.

The guts of the story tell how many major Universities around the counrty, (Chapman University in Orange, Calif.--Nortre Dame--the Citadel military college in South Carloina--the University of Southern California) to name a few, are building niches and mausoleums for alumni, faculty, and even pets.

"Think of it as continuing ed for the dead--or the ultimate college reunion."
(I love that line.):D

"People look back on their college years and say, 'Those were the best days of my life.'" Malkoff said. "Why not spend eternity there!"

The artical goes on to tell of past history dating to the 1800s before embalming was the rage and that many students and/or professors were buried this way because it was impractical to ship the body home. (Notre Danme's grave yard debuted in 1843.

Any opinions on this?

alleycat
06-21-2007, 12:13 AM
I thought some of the professors I had were dead anyway.

Jaycinth
06-21-2007, 12:43 AM
At least they are ashes...I mean we don't want college campuses populated by zombies...

alleycat
06-21-2007, 01:10 AM
At least they are ashes...I mean we don't want college campuses populated by zombies...
You haven't seen fraternity row on a Sunday morning . . .

DamaNegra
06-23-2007, 11:44 AM

You've never been on a campus during final proyects/final exams week??

Julie Worth
06-23-2007, 06:20 PM

I'd like to walk through my old high school, looking at the bleached skulls of those that went before. That would feel more personal than ashes, or those shiny football trophies.

Unique
06-24-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm donating myself to my alma mater. After they're done dissecting, I want to be made into an articulated skeleton and stand in the corner watching over those undergrads.

Yes. Serious.

Kate Thornton
06-24-2007, 09:27 PM
EEEWWWWWW! And wasteful, too. And where is the family? Those ashes should be composting the roses!

tourdeforce
06-25-2007, 03:03 AM
Cemeteries, mausoleums, crypts and urns for saving ashes have no place in the 21st century.

I say abolish them all.

All dead bodies should be cremated and the ashes either given to the relatives who want to keep them or they should be disposed.

Land is for the living.

Williebee
06-25-2007, 03:22 AM
I have, sort of, an objection. The poll makes the assumption that tax money is all that is paying for these things. My first thought was that colleges/universities were after alumni money, and using this to help get it.

billythrilly7th
06-25-2007, 04:01 AM
Can humans be made into some type of stuffed statueish type thing?

I'd rather keep my dead relatives with me in full body. That way i can talk to them and the younger relatives can get to know, even though they're kind of quiet, who their ancestors are. Because they'll like be around.

There's grandma.

And they can pet her or something.

:Shrug:

I don't get the whole burying thing I guess.

But I definetly don't want to be cremated.

You never know.

Maybe 1 million years from now they'll be able to bring us back to life.

That won't work with ashes. Unless some really extra smart guy figures out how to do it with ashes.

'Nuff said.

alleycat
06-25-2007, 05:03 AM
Can humans be made into some type of stuffed statueish type thing?

I'd rather keep my dead relatives with me in full body. That way i can talk to them and the younger relatives can get to know, even though they're kind of quiet, who their ancestors are. Because they'll like be around.

There's grandma.

And they can pet her or something.

Worked for Norman Bates. Kinda.

Kate Thornton
06-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Maybe 1 million years from now they'll be able to bring us back to life.

Why would they want to?