Doctor Who (may contain SPOILERS for current episodes)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Besides, Mr Tennant wasn't too well known before he donned the big brown coat was he?
When he was announced as the new Who I remembered him from a couple of things... he did rather well as the D.I. in Blackpool (which was slated by critics) and then excelled in Casanova which we enjoyed lots. His imdb.com credits list is as long as my... arm... but I can't say I recall most of 'em.

-Derek

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, he's done enough to be recognised.

Besides, Mr Tennant wasn't too well known before he donned the big brown coat was he?

Incidentally, has anyone pointed out the similarities between Tennant's Doc and Mal from Firefly?
Well, it wasn't discussed in detail anywhere, but I think I compared them somewhere around page four :D

When he was announced as the new Who I remembered him from a couple of things... he did rather well as the D.I. in Blackpool (which was slated by critics) and then excelled in Casanova which we enjoyed lots. His imdb.com credits list is as long as my... arm... but I can't say I recall most of 'em.

-Derek
Goblet of Fire! Okay, I'm done.

AzBobby

Ought to be writing instead
Registered
Reaction score
11 regenerations, so 12 Doctors.

12 regenerations, according to various old episodes (such as "The Five Doctors"). My memory isn't that great -- I had to look it up.

So, 13 Doctors. And however many excuses for new regenerations they want to dream up after that. No rules in particular ever seem to hold back this series.

One of the old villains (the Vallyard) was supposed to be one of the Doctor's later regenerations, so it will be interesting to see whether they work that one in.

AzBobby

Registered
Reaction score
I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out (once more) how rare it is that we Brits get a show ahead of the Americas.

You get most of the better programs first, i.e. the stuff made in UK. We in the States have to wait for your shows to surface on PBS, BBC America, the rare SciFi channel slot, and DVD shelves. My best friend buys the Doctor Who DVDs as soon as they're for sale in Region 2, so at least I watch most of those only a few months behind schedule (it takes longer to catch them on one of our channels, and usually a whole year before they're on DVD in Region 1). Otherwise, I'm aware of broad story developments like the return of Captain Jack and the Master based on the Doctor Who web sites.

What are you so sorry to wait for over there? New episodes of Blue Collar TV?

The last Who episode I saw was "Blink." Damn. Just when I thought the series was slipping with the departure of Rose, they make one of the best episodes ever out of an Outer Limits-style monster-of-the-week story. Russell T. Davies was probably the best thing to ever happen to the series, but I won't be so sad to see him go if they give the job to Steve Moffat, who seems to write all the best episodes of the last three years.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
The last Who episode I saw was "Blink." Damn. Just when I thought the series was slipping with the departure of Rose, they make one of the best episodes ever out of an Outer Limits-style monster-of-the-week story. Russell T. Davies was probably the best thing to ever happen to the series, but I won't be so sad to see him go if they give the job to Steve Moffat, who seems to write all the best episodes of the last three years.
Blink was good. But they kinda ruined it with the last little bit, trying to make us scared of Real Statues. But the rest of it was really good
"They don't hurt you, just zap you into the past and make you live to death" For some reason, "Living to death" makes me chuckle.

And, in case y'all didn't know, BBC3 are re-running the Eccleston episodes nightly at 7. I've been watching them and I've decided I prefer Tennant.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score

-Derek
Oh, DT was definitely becoming a name to be reckoned with before he got Who, and I think his appearance in Harry Potter helped, as it got the kids knowing him.

Steve Moffat is one of the best Who writers; I loved Blink. The ending was classic horror - telling the audience "It's not over..."

I'm a bit nervous, to be honest, at the quality of the ideas coming up on Who. If they come up with one of my horror ideas, I'm going to be very, very cross.

AzBobby

Registered
Reaction score
I can see how the statue montage at the end of Blink was hokey, but I liked it anyway. A nice campfire-ghost-story touch, pushing your imagination to consider real world examples -- a classic way to end a horror story, as zahra mentioned. It still fit into the context of the story, because in the story these hidden DVD messages were presumably attended by thousands of people around the world who found them by accident (or by belonging to a circle of video nuts who knew how to find them) but wouldn't know their specific reference, the supposed limitations of his warnings. The Doctor was addressing a woman he knew, but in the effort to do so, he was also peering out of the TV addressing the general public with these creepy messages, just as he stared out at us in the final shots.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok some more of what i think of my DVD's. (C. Ecclesson & rose) Not sure of exact title or order now!!

* Have I got news for you - was OK. I though it had great potential but the ending sucked.

* The father's day was really good I liked that one.

* Are you my mummy? This one was really good. I couldn't get the phrase "Are you my mummy" out of my head for days.

* 2nd Chance - with the silveen (sp) was quite good. Most people (aliens included!!) deserve a 2nd Chance.

* Game show - was corny & cheesey. Had a good laugh at the piss take of the game shows. I have been out of UK for 9 years but know about the game shows that were spoofed.

* The Daleks AGAIN. These guys never seem to die. WHY?? I am sure there are more aliens out there other than the Daleks. So Rose was the big bad wolf eh? I wondered how the Doc was gonna get out of that mess.

I can't think of any more if I have missed any i will tell you later. OK!!

Kevvers.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Ok some more of what i think of my DVD's. (C. Ecclesson & rose) Not sure of exact title or order now!!

* Are you my mummy? This one was really good. I couldn't get the phrase "Are you my mummy" out of my head for days.

Kevvers.

Sorry to whet your appetite so soon, but you are SO gonna love the 'Blink' episode. It's written by the same guy, Steve Moffat, and is scary-mary.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Way behind the rest of you here in the US, but...

Just saw part 1 of the "Doctor becomes human to escape the Family of Blood" episode. Why do the writers like to make poor Tennant scream and writhe in agony so much? Yeah, I know it happened to Baker every so often, but...eep. I'm glad they only showed it in snatches. It seemed to unnerve my 11-y-o a bit.

And they also like to write scenes where he gets his face slapped. Hard. (Good staging there--the slaps look real.)

But oooh, he can kiss me anytime he wants. :D

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
Just saw part 1 of the "Doctor becomes human to escape the Family of Blood" episode. Why do the writers like to make poor Tennant scream and writhe in agony so much?
In my opinion, the second part is where the real money is.

And it shows Tennant at his best if you ask me. If you're any kind of person, you may come close to tears by the end of it. But I don't want to give away too much.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
And it shows Tennant at his best if you ask me. If you're any kind of person, you may come close to tears by the end of it. But I don't want to give away too much.

We need a smiley that tears out its hair. Augh! And I have to wait a whole WEEK to see part 2!

Thanks, BMwhtly. Really. No sarcasm there at all. Honest. :e2hammer:

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
We need a smiley that tears out its hair. Augh! And I have to wait a whole WEEK to see part 2!

Thanks, BMwhtly. Really. No sarcasm there at all. Honest. :e2hammer:
Yeah, I guess I did build it up a bit there. Shoot, now you'll probably be dissapointed when you see it.

Hmmm... no, that's impossible.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, "Human Nature" & the second part were great eps, & "Blink" (which is the next one after that) is also really good. In fact from "Human Nature" on, the season is just awesome.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
Be aware, ye the enlightened, that Blink is comparable to the one with Peter Kay, the absorbaloff. In that it focuses on an ordinary person who get's caught up in the Doctor's antics.

It's a refreshing change.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Be aware, ye the enlightened, that Blink is comparable to the one with Peter Kay, the absorbaloff. In that it focuses on an ordinary person who get's caught up in the Doctor's antics.

It's a refreshing change.

Um...I really disliked that ep. "Moaning Myrtle" didn't help. Does Blink have a less whiny and otherwise annoying MC?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Good. Thanks.

Tennant is quickly getting to the top 3 of my "You don't have to sleep with me, just let me listen to your voice and gaze at you" list.

Okay, a smooch or a backrub would be nice, too.

[goes off to plunge head in the ice-cube tray...]

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Tennant is quickly getting to the top 3 of my "You don't have to sleep with me, just let me listen to your voice and gaze at you" list.

[goes off to plunge head in the ice-cube tray...]

You might not recognise his real (Scottish) voice, though. You might not like it. So the safest course of action would be to settle for the 'sleeping with you' thing. Just to be safe.:D

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and can I just quickly crave your indulgence while I exercise my inner geek? OK: In the werewolf episode, the Doctor introduced Queen Vic to Rose; polite society protocol is strict that you're supposed to say, "Socially Superior/Older person, this is Inferior/Younger Person", but he did it the other way round. Yet old Queen Starchy-Knickers didn't turn a hair.

OK, as you were.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Um...I really disliked that ep. "Moaning Myrtle" didn't help. Does Blink have a less whiny and otherwise annoying MC?
Yeah, it was one of the weak ones, BUT MARC WARREN!!!!! Would I? Oh, yes, I think we can safely say that I SO WOULD. I don't usually go for the blonds, but that man is scorchy with sex appeal.