Doctor Who (may contain SPOILERS for current episodes)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
DAVID TENNANT JUST WALKED INTO THE CLUB WHERE I WORK!!!

He is meeting one of the Dr Who writers, Steven, and his wife.
Not Steven Moffat?! Quick, ask him if there's ever going to be another series of Coupling! And, is Sally Sparrow from Blink going to get a spin-off series or is that just a rumour? And, tell him I thought Press Gang was great, I still miss that show!

-Derek

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Not Steven Moffat?! Quick, ask him if there's ever going to be another series of Coupling! And, is Sally Sparrow from Blink going to get a spin-off series or is that just a rumour? And, tell him I thought Press Gang was great, I still miss that show!

-Derek
Yeah, that Steven. He's here all the time, but this is the first time Il Tennant has been. I will ask him about Sally Sparrow, but I don't think I dare ask about 'Coupling'; I think he's pretty much moved on from that. I will ask him on his way out.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
*hugs Coupling DVDs* I found his official explanation of what happened after season 4, so I'm happy. I'd just like him to start writing, say, half of each Doctor Who season...

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
OK, they've just gone, and Derek, to Sally Sparrow question, Steven said, "Probably not, no. But I'm sure Cary Mulligan will continue to work in - everything."

There you go. Quote straight from the horse's gob.

You owe me a Bombay Sapphire and tonic.

Last edited:

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Talking about Sally Sparrow was Blink the best episode of Dr Who or what?/
Those weeping angel statues were creepy and the whole thing about them moving when you blinked was great! I just saw it the other night. I have the first 3 series on dvd and just started watching series 4 on sci fi channel. The sontaran episode was great looking forward to seeing the second episode but it won't be shown here until NEXT Friday!
I have always been a Doctor Who fan but the new shows are far more dynamic and exciting. Much deeper too and Tennant is handsdown the best Doctor EVER! I hope he continues in the role. I miss watching Dr Who on the beeb in England (no commercials for one) but you brits seem to only be 3 or 4 episodes ahead of us here in the States. Thank God!

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
Russell TD is leaving and Steven Moffat is taking over as producer on 'Who' next season! So THAT'S what the meeting was all about, eh?

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't Russell TD want to do his show about middle aged gay men jealous and envious of the younger prettier boys? That's probably where he's going now.

wood pixie

Registered
Reaction score
Some of you may have already discovered this, but Dr. Who runs ahead of us in the U.K.
So, they get to see the shows way before we do.

But you can go to YouTube and watch them before they are shown on TV here in the U.S.

Has anyone seen that episode with Dr. Who's daughter??? Surprise at the ending!!! It was interesting.

wood pixie

Registered
Reaction score
DAVID TENNANT JUST WALKED INTO THE CLUB WHERE I WORK!!!

He is meeting one of the Dr Who writers, Steven, and his wife.

We've got a couple of the 'Lost' actors staying at the hotel, but I'm far more excited about DT.

That is awesome!

Did you get to talk to him????

The only famous people I've met are Robin Williams and the Goo Goo Dolls.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Some of you may have already discovered this, but Dr. Who runs ahead of us in the U.K.
So, they get to see the shows way before we do.

But you can go to YouTube and watch them before they are shown on TV here in the U.S.

Has anyone seen that episode with Dr. Who's daughter??? Surprise at the ending!!! It was interesting.

The episode with his daughter is showing here next week. I'm going to wait for it to air. Looks interesting!

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I get all my episodes from that unmentionable place where i got all the torchwood episodes as well.

I just watched the new Dr. Who. I have to say, I think they're more and more laying the groundwork for killing off David Tennant, which really upsets me. But okay, I'll go along with them, but I don't like the idea.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
He's learning to face his fears by watching shows like that. Of course, sleeping with his parents greatly facilitate and speed up the learning process. ;) My sister found her son going into the furnace room repeatedly with a flashlight. when she asked him what he was doing, he said he was going in there until he wasn't afraid of it anymore. apparently he was afraid to go into the furnace room. Now he loves scary movies. The scarier the better. and guess who gets to go with him? his auntie nevada. because his mom refuses to go to scary movies.

But honestly, Blink scared the crap out of me too.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Silence in the Library was a great episode, one of the stand-out ones, like Blink and The Girl in the Fireplace. The character of Professor River Song (and wasn't Alex Kingston brilliant in the part?) and their hinted-at relationship felt interesting and deep. She contrasted strongly with the Doctor's daughter, who for me didn't carry as much resonance as she could have. Perhaps that has to do with the pacing of that earlier episode, and our introduction to that character. I'm definitely looking forward to next week's episode!

wood pixie

Registered
Reaction score
Augh!!! These two part shows are killing me!!!!!

I love the idea of the dangers of the shadows .... what a cooool imagination!!!

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Has anyone else noticed, however, that the second part in the two-parter's tends to be a bit of a let down?

Particularly as the first one was so good (despite turning a swarm that lives in the shadows into a lumbering Frankenstein's Monster).

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Agreed. Not that it'd happen, but I wonder how the shows would develop if they went back to the old format--three 1/2 hour eps? Then again, the shows themselves were less complex then. But nothing beats the green-tinted bubble wrap alien in The Ark in Space. :D

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
What I want to know is, what's with the TWINKY-WINKY MUSIC, it's as if they engaged an orchestra of demented faeries! It's driving me NUTS!

-Derek

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
What I want to know is, what's with the TWINKY-WINKY MUSIC, it's as if they engaged an orchestra of demented faeries!

THANKS VERY MUCH for that, I'm not going to be hyper-aware of it and thinking about demented fairies when I hear it now, at all! Just when I was getting caught up in an episode, too. ;)

(I had to skim through it on the iPlayer to see what you were talking about. Twinky-winky music seems to be the default innocent-kiddie background. Bet you it gets replayed at the very end of the next episode!)

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Mood: cynical. Devoted DW fans stop reading now.

Yeah I just watched the library ep an hour ago. That darn music is pretty much everywhere, except when it's replaced for a few seconds by Stirring Dramatic Music (tm) whenever people start running around and shouting.

Torchwood had a similar but different problem, even the most ordinary scene would suddenly blossom with Stirring Dramatic Music (tm), while Stirring Dramatic Scenes would be filled with Poignant Heartstring Music (tm & patent pending).

It's either the work of some old geezer left over from the original BBC Radiophonic Workshop exacting a weird revenge, or the brainchild of a young whippersnapper who thinks filling in the plot holes with music is easier than asking for smarter writing.

-Derek

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
She contrasted strongly with the Doctor's daughter, who for me didn't carry as much resonance as she could have. Perhaps that has to do with the pacing of that earlier episode, and our introduction to that character.!

Or perhaps it had to do with the difficulty of playing father and daughter when you're planning to snog each other's faces off in real life ;).

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
THE FOREST OF DEATH!

That's what I would have called Forest of the Dead, the sequel to Silence in the Library.

Just to give it a little more thrill factor.

Thank Gallifrey for sonic screwdrivers!

-Derek

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Also, for remote controls and the volume button. DONNA'S. IMAGINARY. CHILDREN. GONE. PAIN! ANGST! EMOTION! Yes, yes, I get it, shut up...

I really liked the River Song relationship hints. Much more mature and realistic-feeling than the companion-of-the-moment ones.