Doctor Who (may contain SPOILERS for current episodes)

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
1) I completely agree. If anything, the companions should be MORE diverse considering improvements in makeup and such, as well as a bigger budget. But even characters with a different background would be good. Turlough was the last "real" male companion, I suppose, and I absolutely loved him!
It doesn't have to be a prosthetic-ed alien companion, the makers obviously want someone the audience can relate to.
But in the past, they've had human companions from future colonies and stuff. And from the past.

In fact, I was rather hoping that Jessica Stevenson (the matron from the Familyof Blood episodes) Would agree to travel with him.

Aramis

Custom User Title Not Found
Registered
Reaction score
But the point is, they CAN do "prosthetic-ed" aliens convincingly now. (When I typed that originally, though, I was thinking Trance from Andromeda, if you've ever seen that series.)

Wouldn't the matron have just been awkward and miserable, though? She just lost the man she loved. *sniff*

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
But the point is, they CAN do "prosthetic-ed" aliens convincingly now.
True, they can.
But as far as prosthetic-ed companions go. Kryten was good in Red Dwarf and that was what? Ten years ago?
(When I typed that originally, though, I was thinking Trance from Andromeda, if you've ever seen that series.)
:Shrug:
But they did Chan-Tho (sp?) in Utopia, and she was good.

Wouldn't the matron have just been awkward and miserable, though? She just lost the man she loved. *sniff*
Yes, that's why they didn't. But I just mean that a character like that (someone who helps them in another time frame) could come on as a companion.

Aramis

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, totally. Actually, I thought Jabe (End of the World) would have made a decent companion. She was nice and didn't have family issues. :D

Pic of Trance HERE.

Last edited:

Aramis

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you could be a companion!!!

Yep, the ears, makeup, and she had a tail, but she lost that. (Poor Trance.)

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, I'm OK with the human companion bit. I think an alien would be a bit too 'Star Trek'. Dr Who is about 'supposed this happened to you, in your ordinary life'. The juxtaposition works for me!

Aramis

Registered
Reaction score
What juxtaposition? Half the storylines take place on Earth these days. It's not like the humans really get to *go* other places.

(Um... despite my negative comments, I really do love the series. I'm just nitpicking about how it could be *better.*)

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
The juxtaposition of 'ordinary earth' with 'weirdo things happening'. Love it. I think an alien companion would be a mistake. It's supposed to be about us, seeing life and possibilities in different ways.

Tony_LaRocca

Registered
Reaction score
Website
egotisticalproductions.blogspot.com
I downloaded the last three seasons right after they went on the air, but the torrent police are getting a little too psycho these days. Guess I'll have to wait a few months for them to play on the Sci-Fi channel, even though they cut out about ten minutes of every episode for commercials. Do you like the Big Finish Audios? I can't get enough of them!

Tony_LaRocca

Registered
Reaction score
Website
egotisticalproductions.blogspot.com
Alien Companions

The juxtaposition of 'ordinary earth' with 'weirdo things happening'. Love it. I think an alien companion would be a mistake. It's supposed to be about us, seeing life and possibilities in different ways.

A list of Alien companions:

Susan- The Doctor's grandaughter
Romanna- A time lady- two incarnations
Nyssa- A hot scientist from Traken who likes to strip down to her undies for no reason.
Adric- An evolved swamp thing, the Wesley Crusher of Dr. Who. Happily, the only companion to die.
Mel- OK, she wasn't really an alien, she just looked like one.

Ardellis

tortures make-believe people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
witchingwell.com
Turlough was an alien, too. From the planet Trion.

And I believe there was at least one other companion death, back during the early years.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
According to Wikipedia, there have been 8 companion deaths in the course of the series, but one was a model of K-9 that never traveled with the Doctor, two were in a TV movie back in the mid-90s, and one was a character in the new series that was subsequently resurrected. During the original series, three companions died: Katarina, Sara Kingdom, and Adric, and an android companion, Kamelion, was destroyed.

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly neighborhood Wiki-geek.

As for the rest of the thread... Haven't seen any of the David Tennant episodes yet, but I hearted Christopher Eccleston. And Torchwood has become my new guilty-pleasure favorite show.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
when you get the chance, for anyone in N. America, watch Torchwood on youtube. they cut out about 10 to 12 minutes for N. American broadcasts, and in at least one episode, They Keep Killing Suzie, they cut out what Russel T. Davies called the heart and soul of the episode, what was his original idea of the episode.

search for re15re. He's got them all. Hard to figure out, but they are there.

Reaction score
Oh god. Oh god oh god oh god.

Help! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!

*hyperventilates*

Save me! Someone, anyone, HELP ME!!!

(Linky).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, last I heard (this is obviously more recent), they were going to take some time off from the show after season 4 to let David do other things and then he was going to return to it. I hope David stays. I really like him as the Doctor. I liked Chris too, but I really want to keep David.

zahra

Registered
Reaction score
That Xmas Doctor Who lost me halfway through. The story was ho-hum, although there were some nice lines. Kylie Minogue had no charisma and her acting was below par. Is Doctor Who going to be cast, companion-wise, like a panto now? Get a celebrity name in at all costs? Sheesh.

BIT OF A SPOILER FOLLOWS.

The whole 'Titanic' thing was a pointless sham that actually added nothing interesting to the story - it could have been any ship. And I think the viewing public wanted it to be the real Titanic.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
That Xmas Doctor Who lost me halfway through. The story was ho-hum, although there were some nice lines. Kylie Minogue had no charisma and her acting was below par. Is Doctor Who going to be cast, companion-wise, like a panto now? Get a celebrity name in at all costs? Sheesh.

BIT OF A SPOILER FOLLOWS.

The whole 'Titanic' thing was a pointless sham that actually added nothing interesting to the story - it could have been any ship. And I think the viewing public wanted it to be the real Titanic.

MORE SPOILER

It wasn't a pointless sham, it was just the best way to start the show.

Something I noticed though, if you go back and re-watch it, when The Doctor steps out of the TARDIS, there's a plaque on the wall beside him, and the company isn't listed as the White Star Line. It kind of made me go hmmm? then he looked out the window.

I really liked the episode, although I hope isn't evil robots with next year's special.

Also, after being the conversion rate, my fiance and I worked it out:
Foon's 5000 calls to the competition line cost a grand total of 100 pounds.

I'm curious as to why a cyborg would have an EMP though. I can understand if he tripped some circuits and rewired a few bits to make one, but...basically it seemed like he had a suicide switch in his chest. Maybe...a suicide switch is better than some of the things they do to cyborgs in that culture?

And Kylie would have made a great companion. Cute, spunky, and able to blow up robots in a way that would have made Ace proud. And, as my sister pointed out, ACTUALLY HAD A REASON TO TRAVEL WITH THE DOCTOR!

*sigh*

Bring on season four.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yeah, SPOILERS.

Funny you should say "panto" -- that's pretty much the vibe I've been getting from DW for some time now. Last night's ep was no exception. I found myself flicking away every so often to see if anything better was on elsewhere.

-Derek

Reaction score
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
As soon as Astrid asked to travel with the doctor, I thought, "She dies in the end." We already know who the new companion is and it's not her. As has been mentioned, she had no charisma anyway and considering the doctor is from Gallifrey and does not have normal 'human' responses to others, he seems to fall in lust with his prospective companions a lot.