Doctor Who (may contain SPOILERS for current episodes)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Oooh... Saw Utopia last night. DARN good! And I'm very happy that the guy playing the regenerated Master is the guy from Life on Mars. Loved that show--right up till the end of the last episode, when I threw a slipper across the room in frustration.

Sorry...derail...back on track. Also like the "old" Captain Jack.

Guys, tell me: does Rose ever return?

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Guys, tell me: does Rose ever return?
Well, if you're watching the regenerated Master, you're in the last (three-part) episode of the series.

She doesn't come back this series. And I haven't heard of any plans to bring her back.

On a side note, Billie whats-her-name that plays Rose has a new series starting soon. In which she plays a *ahem* call girl.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
OMG. We finally got cable so I can watch the end of season 3 again. But they cut one of my favorite lines from this episode!

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I may have missed something, but is Saxon's wife human?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
they re-edit it? that's grotesque
I agree. Still trying to figure out if it was cut because it wasn't important plot-wise & there are more commercials on SF than on BBC, or if it was because it implied that Jack is in love with the Doctor. Since I haven't seen any of the other SF airings, I don't know if they have been editing Jack heavily or if it just was a coincidence that that was what was cut.

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone seems to be in love with the Doc these days, and Jack seems to love anything that can talk.

I for one don't want Rose back. I thought she was cool in Season One; the dynamic between her and the Ninth was perfect; they balanced each other out since he was serious and intense.

With the Tenth; there was too much smug selfishness between those two. Martha was more suitable with her more analytical appraoch to things.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Finally saw the last ep of the season.

4 stars.

They definitely left a hold to bring the Master back--when wifey's hand with the candy-apple-red fingernails picked up his ring from the pyre ashes.

But...some parts were too copycat from me (the pyre, Martha turning into Mickey (the soldier saving the world). The Doctor-as-Jesus was amusing.

The Titanic busting through the Tardis was funny. But I thought it had a force field? So puzzled there.

Now for the 7-8 month wait for the Christmas special and the next season... Good thing I have 2 WIPs.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
They definitely left a hold to bring the Master back--when wifey's hand with the candy-apple-red fingernails picked up his ring from the pyre ashes.
Possibly, or it may just mean that she'll return.
The Titanic busting through the Tardis was funny. But I thought it had a force field? So puzzled there.
Well, these things are fallible.
I seem to remember a Peter Davidson episode where something similar happened.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com

Actually there is a precedent set in the Dr Who radio/CD plays. Supposedly if a Time Lord refuses a regeneration death occurs. Followed by some kind of automatic regeneration where the gender of the Time Lord swaps. So there's every chance the candy-apple-red fingernails belonged to the Mast... Mistress?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the S3 finale too. Though I loved Rose, I think I now love Martha even more.

S4 can't come fast enough for me!

That gender-switch thing for the Master would be BRILLIANT, but wouldn't the Doctor know to anticipate that?

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
That gender-switch thing for the Master would be BRILLIANT, but wouldn't the Doctor know to anticipate that?

I don't know. Technically the Master is beyond his 13th regeneration (which supposedly sends time lords insane). But since he was killed in the movie version and seemingly brought back by the time lords to fight in the war with the daleks, that could all be up in the air.

Having given it some thought, I suspect it's the possession route. His "wife" mentions in a throw-away line, that after what Harry Saxon did for her father...

What did he do?

This is by far the smartest incarnation of the Master to date. And he set up plans within plans. Given his overwhelming desire for self preservation (as observed by the Doctor) suggests he had an escape plan worked out as well.

So it could be that he stows a part of him in her ailing father, then if things go wrong, she "kills him" he bumps the rest of him into the ring and she takes the ring to her father who is the new host to the Master.

He also mentions, while taughting the Doctor about his new empire, about a time lord/human race. "Haven't you always dreamed of that?"

Just a theory.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Did I dream this, or did some paper report that John Simm was gonna be the next Doctor?