PDA

View Full Version : Aaargh! A job offer, but...

aruna
01-26-2007, 09:24 AM
I have been offered the greatest job for a writer ever.
It was offered by the Royal Literary Fund in the UK, whose sole aim is to distribute money to writers to enable them to work. They pay them pensions, give them grants etc. They have already given me quite a lot of money - eg, paid my whole tax bill last year.
Now I have been offered a Writinhg Fellowship at Brighton University. This means having an office at the university, sitting there for a few hours three days a week, and making yourself available to students who need help with their writing projects of any kind. No teaching involved. Just sitting there and working one-to-one whenever someone needs you. You get a computer and can work on your own projects in-between students. And you get paid 1400 a month.

This is great. The trouble is -
I can;t take it!
I haev since moved to Germany to be with my husband and there' no way in the world I could make it back to England to sit in Brighton 3 days a week.

However, I would encourage published authors in Britain to apply. It's a great opportunity if you get it. Just wanted to mention it again!

WildScribe
01-26-2007, 10:02 AM
WOW ARUNA!!! I would drag my husband back by the hair. Of course, I love England dearly and would like to live there if I could anyway, so it wouldn't be hard to convince me. What a gig!!

Susie
01-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi, Aruna, sure would be nice if you could take it, but you sound like you're doing terrifically. Keep up the great work!

Penguin Queen
01-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Oh wow, Aruna, that sounds like a great scheme! Good on you for having got it -- a shame you won't be able to make use of it now.

And MANY thanks for posting it on here... I have been trying to get funding out of the English Arts Council but unsuccessfully so far .. I will ahve a gooooood look at this scheme now! :)

Pat~
01-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Well, it's an honor to have been offered it at least. So sorry you can't take advantage of it. Your husband's lucky to have you. :)

aruna
01-26-2007, 03:38 PM
And MANY thanks for posting it on here... I have been trying to get funding out of the English Arts Council but unsuccessfully so far .. I will ahve a gooooood look at this scheme now! :)

Here's the link:
http://www.rlf.org.uk/fellowshipscheme/index.cfm

Wildscribe, I'd love to drag him back but he spent 9 months in England with me last year and he didn't like it. He suffers from Parkinson's Disease and he fell into a depression. He is much better off here. Besides, we would have no place to stay in England and no point paying all that money in rent!
However, the formal offer is not coming till end of February and maybe something will happen till then.

Penguin Queen
01-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the link, Aruna. Aaaaarrgh, as you say -- they require the author in question to have published two books. Still. It's an incentive to get the novel out there! http://boards.gingerbeer.co.uk/Smileys/classic/cheesy.gif

Gonzo
01-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Oh Blast! I wish you could nominate other UK writers wink wink, nudge nudge to take the money...joke. Hey, at least you got accepted, which is great.

aruna
01-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Yes, it is nice. I actually applied for this year (starting September 2006) but I didn't get it that time around. And I really couldn't have taken it anyway. I can try and think things out. There may be a way yet.

Saundra Julian
01-26-2007, 07:25 PM
How wonderful! Congratulations on the offer, aruna...keeping fingers crossed that you will find a way to take advantage of this opportunity.

Southern_girl29
01-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Wow, that's wonderful. Maybe something will happen so you could take it.

Cat Scratch
01-27-2007, 01:07 AM
Wow, what a shame you have to turn it down. The optimist in me (she's in there somewhere) thinks that probably means there's something even better for you around the corner. Good luck!

SarahinOhio
01-27-2007, 01:19 AM
What a great honor, Aruna. But it sounds like you've got your priorities straight, and I'm sure you'll achieve even better things in Germany. Congrats on such a fine acknowledgment of your talent!

Cath
01-27-2007, 03:10 AM
Congratulations, Aruna. Even if you can't take it, it's a great morale boost. :)

aruna
01-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Wow, what a shame you have to turn it down. The optimist in me (she's in there somewhere) thinks that probably means there's something even better for you around the corner. Good luck!

Thank you,that's what I'm hoping!

aruna
01-27-2007, 08:21 AM
What a great honor, Aruna. But it sounds like you've got your priorities straight, and I'm sure you'll achieve even better things in Germany. Congrats on such a fine acknowledgment of your talent!

Maybe I'll land a great Hollywood deal!!!! Well, we can dream, can't we!;)

aruna
06-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Well, I did it!
I am taking on the job and we are moving back to England. This is a result of certain developments which I won't go into here. We are going to move to Brighton.

Yesterday I took part in the induction ceremony with all the new Fellows. It was great! For the first time ever I met other working writers and it was wonderful. There was a party afterwards but I could not stay long.
I have also been to the university I'll be working at, seen my office and the fellow who was there before me, and who will be stayiing on. It's all very exciting and a great honour. All kinds of very famous authors have taken part in the scheme. Maybe it will bring me luck!

Uncarved
06-12-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm so glad you took advantage of this offer. What a perk in the resume and in your career. Much good fortune to you with this.

Saundra Julian
06-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Congratulations! Break a leg, aruna!

Cath
06-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Wow, good luck, Aruna!

aruna
06-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks! Actually I have no idea how I;m going to get things organised till September but somehow....

CaroGirl
06-12-2007, 06:53 PM
What a wonderful opportunity for you!! I'm so glad you're managing to take advantage of it. I'm sure you'll be a great help to all those students.

Congratulations and I hope you LOVE it!

aruna
06-12-2007, 07:17 PM
I know I will!

ap123
06-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Congratulations! It's wonderful you'll be able to take advantage of this opportunity. I hope all is well otherwise, and your ability to go back to England are a result of positive developments. :)

scarletpeaches
06-12-2007, 08:12 PM
aruna - that's the kind of job I'd sell my mother for.

Well, if I thought anyone would want her. Hmm, eBay...;)

zahra
06-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Great job, glad you were able to take it. I would also sell my Granny for a job like that (although she's probably a bit crumbly by now).

Have fun, and encourage the hell out of those students!
:hooray:

aruna
06-12-2007, 10:18 PM
A little bit of trivia: the fund is financed through royalties by a couple of famous literary estates, such as A.A. Milne. But they sold the rights to the Pooh books to Disney for 80 million a couple years ago... that's why they have so much money. They are very good to authors. They have helped me before with grants, very generously too.

HJW
06-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Hey Aruna, congratulations.:Sun:

I lived in Brighton for a while, it's a lovely place to be. Don't know what your accommodation arrangements are going to be but Hove is cheaper than central Brighton and a bit more peaceful. Oh, and parking is less of a nightmare.

Watch out for the seagulls, they can get a bit killy!

Southern_girl29
06-13-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm so glad things worked out so you could take it. Way to go.

Maprilynne
06-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Congrats! You've been in dire need of some good news lately; I hope this really made your day . . . or week or month even! I'm SO happy for you!!!

NeuroFizz
06-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Sharon, do you know how happy I am for you? Multiply that by 10!

P.H.Delarran
06-13-2007, 09:34 AM
This is wonderful news- what an adventure. Best of luck to you.

aruna
06-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks everyone! The best thing is that it is in Brighton, arguably the nicest city in England, and just an hour from central London...