Themes to write about

Shane B

What themes do you like to write about? How do they relate to your own life and environment?

I hear there's a site listing all possible themes to write about, anyone knows the url?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Does it matter? Chances are you know all the themes by heart and they've been done a million times each and there is no way getting around it. So why not focus on your story, your characters, and what sets them on their own ground?

I don't have the URL though, sorry.

Shane B

Themes are very important for me because It keeps me on the right track. Because if I know what the theme is, I know which direction I want to go with my story.

scripter1

Article Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Kitchen table, parked in front of the computer.
Hmm,

One theme I've explored is doing what is right even if it causes you problems. Even if that problem is losing your life.

I've explored the theme of love lasting forever & seeing past physical flaws.

I've explored the theme of our actions having consequences, that what you do comes back to you in some way.

(those three themes cover about 6 different stories)

I think a script without a theme is like a human without a soul.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Well I always thought stories came with themes whether you intended them or not. Must be my weird side coming in again. Bad weird side, bad!

branbran

Registered
Reaction score
scripter1 said:
One theme I've explored is doing what is right even if it causes you problems. Even if that problem is losing your life.

I've explored the theme of love lasting forever & seeing past physical flaws.

I've explored the theme of our actions having consequences, that what you do comes back to you in some way.

(those three themes cover about 6 different stories)

I think a script without a theme is like a human without a soul.

Themes can happen either way. You can be interested in a subject and create from there...or you work on idea and character that creates the theme of the story.

I do agree that films need to have some type of meaning, which is the theme...but creating that is up to the individual, but any writer will find out quickly what that is early in the develpment stage of writing.

As far as the "Theme of our actions having consequences, that what you do comes back to you in some way"...thats about every film made.....action is reaction, which is the point of filmmaking.

I think themes are based on strickly meaning and motive of character and their ideas of life and their environment in situations that they create. Expressing that opinion and actions through a characters eyes will create a theme for the overall film, along with motive...in return it gives some type of effect to its viewers....after all, we as individuals have a theme in our own personal lives...

And again, this is all opinion, and people work and perceive differently...its what makes the world go round....

scripter1

Article Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Kitchen table, parked in front of the computer.
Well,

when I think of theme, I think of the message that I would like audiences to take with them from the viewing.

I know I can't force it on them, but I do try to make it a very solid part of the story.

And yes, I do use it to guide my scenes. I think "What side of my theme have I not explored yet? Is there a way to work in this aspect of it? Do I have characters, actions, dialogs that reveal all the sides, pros and cons of this theme?

Regarding the theme of our actions have consequences, yes I would agree that every film has that innate theme, BUT that it can also be explored on its own as well.

I have two scripts that work around choices and how they shape our lives.

One of them deals with doing things that you KNOW are wrong yet you do them ANYWAY. The more you do them the more you spiral yourself into trouble. It's about trusting your instincts and keeping yourself out of trouble by using wisdom.
It's a thriller about a woman who starts an affair but gets tangled up with a serial killer.

The second one is about a drug dealer who is trying to deal with the enviroment he lives in and wants out, to be honest, BUT there is a price to be paid for the life he's lead. It's kind of about enviroment v education and personal choice.

Sure, themes can just happen. Most writers do have some kind of point they wish to make and it comes out here and there during the writing.
Then again, some writers only THINK they have a theme but it's never actually ON THE PAGE.

I totally agree with Shane when he says that knowing your theme ahead of time keeps the writing on track. Again, it's one more thing to guide your scenes, to make sure that they are leading somewhere productive.