PDA

View Full Version : Quick shout out and intro

lorcan
01-03-2007, 12:40 AM
Greetings! I've been a subscriber to the Absolute Write newsletter for years and only recently have joined this forum. Thought it was high time I introduced myself.

I'm a freelance writer with a few clips under my belt, but for the next year I'll be attempting the Everest-like exercise of finishing a novel I began in September. It's ambitious (a sprawling World War II novel, with a male protagonist), but I'm nothing if not overly so.

I've also made my life even more hectic by tacking on a short play to the list of projects I'm working on, something entirely different that will tax another part of my brain.

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's posts and gleaning inspiration from my fellow writers here! Feel free to check out my blog and buzz me for a chat anytime. Happy New Year!

MRA

J. Weiland
01-03-2007, 12:59 AM
welcome to the cooler, lorcan.

awatkins
01-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Howdy! Glad to have you with us. :)

Cath
01-03-2007, 01:00 AM
:welcome:

aka eraser
01-03-2007, 01:03 AM
Welcome aboard lorcan. :)

lorcan
01-03-2007, 01:16 AM
Thank you!

MidnightMuse
01-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Welcome to AW :) You'll find all the help you could possibly want here, and more. Luckily when writing a novel, as opposed to climbing Everest, few people die from nasty falls off their chairs or freeze to death while typing, and I've only heard of a few -- a very few -- who perished from lack of oxygen while penning the next great American novel :D

So good luck to you! I keep a Yak handy, myself, but there's plenty of Sherpas around here to help you out if you get stuck.

sthrnwriter
01-03-2007, 01:41 AM
:hi: lorcan! Welcome to AW.

Dawn R
01-03-2007, 01:42 AM
Nice to meet you, lorcan. You'll find lots of inspiration around these boards. Read on. :hi:

Little Red Barn
01-03-2007, 01:47 AM
Big Welcome to AW!

lorcan
01-03-2007, 03:16 AM
Wow! What an awesome group! Many thanks for your hearty welcomes!

MidnightMuse, thanks for your very kind and cheery reply. You know, I absolutely love mountain-climbing and didn't mean to equate the dangerous conditions on Everest with the relatively painless (in physical terms, anyway) act of writing a novel, so no offense to anyone who's tried the former and was unsuccessful. I tried getting on Kilimanjaro about five years ago and succumbed to a really bad case of altitude sickness (another novel entirely), so I have absolute respect for anyone who engages in the sport!

MRA

jester
01-03-2007, 04:55 AM
Welcome to AW :) You'll find all the help you could possibly want here, and more. Luckily when writing a novel, as opposed to climbing Everest, few people die from nasty falls off their chairs or freeze to death while typing, and I've only heard of a few -- a very few -- who perished from lack of oxygen while penning the next great American novel :D

So good luck to you! I keep a Yak handy, myself, but there's plenty of Sherpas around here to help you out if you get stuck.

Lets not forget Stephen King's MISERY.......

On the lighter side......welcome to the cooler lorcan, pull up a chair and pass the chocolate :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-03-2007, 05:16 AM
Welcome to Absolute Write, lorcan! Love the avatar... Calvin and Hobbes are my heroes!

lorcan
01-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Ol' Fashioned Girl: All I ever really needed to know in life, I learned from Calvin & Hobbes.

jester: What about Stranger Than Fiction? Of course, in that instance, the character himself is getting offed, not the writer. Better him than me!

Mmmmm....chocolate.....

MRA

truelyana
01-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Lovely to have you on board lorcan :)

jester
01-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Oooo another chocolate lover.........

Yes, much better for the character to get offed...lol

So what's the novel about other than snow?

Jester

Meerkat
01-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Welcome lorcan!

Good luck with the WWII novel...many experts are on this site.

lorcan
01-03-2007, 11:51 PM
jester: As Shakespeare once said, "Writing without chocolate is a pain worse than death." Or something like that.

Snow, huh? Is it because I live in CO? Actually, the novel is set in Singapore in World War II, so no sign of snow. It's sprawwwwling, and unintentionally so, i.e., I'm at 130 or so pages, and the bloody war hasn't even started yet. I need to go ahead and bomb Pearl Harbor soon or I'll be looking at a Volume II. (Do movies still do intermissions?)

What kind of work do you do?

Gclare: Many thanks! I've already stumbled upon a few good resources here. Thank god for the Internet!

MRA

jdkiggins
01-04-2007, 02:30 AM
Welcome to the Cooler, Lorcan. Glad you found us.

Kristen King
01-04-2007, 02:53 AM
Welcome, and congrats on all your fun projects!

Kristen

Carrie in PA
01-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Welcome! Calvin & Hobbes rock.

glassquill
01-16-2007, 06:34 AM
:welcome: !

Freckles
01-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Hello & Welcome!

Nickie
01-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Welcome to the Cooler, Lorcan!

Nickie

K1P1
01-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi Lorcan. Welcome to AW--sorry I missed you when you first introduced yourself, but I see you've made yourself at home. Hope to see you around.