PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone opened gifts early?

Carole
12-21-2006, 04:34 AM
I did today, but completely by mistake. My sister sent our family a gift basket. She's always doing something really neato for holidays and birthdays and such. This year, it's a huge basket filled with one gift for each of us and bunches of goodies like candy, unusual jams and jellies and all sorts of yummies.

But there was a little box at the bottom of the basket. Since one present was accounted for for each of us, I assumed that the little box was another goodie. I was right.

My sister gave me a silver cuff bracelet from Tiffany's. I nearly passed out!! I can't stop looking at it!!

I've never been a big jewelry person. In fact, the ONLY jewelry I ever wear on a daily basis is my wedding band, and it is sterling. Nothing over the top. Just a simple sterling band. I think I am becoming a fan of jewelry now. At least silver bracelets from Tiffany's!

Carole
12-21-2006, 04:36 AM
Well, I keep trying to post a photo of it, but it's not working. Bummer.

jbal
12-21-2006, 04:38 AM
try again, Carole, it didn't work.

William Haskins
12-21-2006, 04:38 AM
my wife did.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=asWHBLt42bA

janetbellinger
12-21-2006, 04:39 AM
I haven't even wrapped any gifts yet.

beezle
12-21-2006, 04:41 AM
What's to open?

jbal
12-21-2006, 04:42 AM
I haven't even wrapped any gifts yet.
I've only bought one. seriously.

MidnightMuse
12-21-2006, 04:43 AM
The last Christmas present I opened was back in 1998, I think.

PeeDee
12-21-2006, 04:45 AM
Of course we didn't.

Yes we did. My wife and I have the combined willpower of a small child around Christmas. We totally opened everything everyone sent us. I wish we hadn't. We did so good last year (we lasted 'till Christmas eve) I thought we'd do better. God knows what'll happen when we have an actual small child in the house.

Carole
12-21-2006, 04:50 AM
Well, crap. I can't make a picture work. It's not like I haven't posted pics before. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. This is a link to the bracelet on Tiffany's site.

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item.aspx?sku=GRP00088&cid=158321&mcat=148204&menu=1

eldragon
12-21-2006, 04:50 AM
Carole - your sister has fine taste in jewelry.

Tiffany is definitely a gift worth holding onto.

Actually - I detest presents given to me. Really. My husband bought me a nice bottle of wine and a dozen roses last month when we found out I got a decent score on an important test - if he buys me anything for Christmas - he dies.

alleycat
12-21-2006, 04:51 AM
Yep, my "little sister's". I knew there were home grown canned good included and I wanted a pickle.

Really, I did.

eldragon
12-21-2006, 04:51 AM
Beautiful.

Carole
12-21-2006, 04:56 AM
Of course we didn't.

Yes we did. My wife and I have the combined willpower of a small child around Christmas. We totally opened everything everyone sent us. I wish we hadn't. We did so good last year (we lasted 'till Christmas eve) I thought we'd do better. God knows what'll happen when we have an actual small child in the house.
OMG, that is SO me and my hubby. When he bought me a ring for Christmas after we had been dating...Ok, living together in TOTAL sin for a year, he handed me the box in the MALL! I swear. We sat down on a bench in the mall and he pulled out a little gray box. He borrowed a silver pen from the girl at Whitehall's and wrote, "I promise" on the bottom of the box. We usually make it out of the mall with whatever we buy, but that year we didn't.

Last year he bought me a necklace (that's always in my jewlery box - I am SO bad) and he gave it to me before we got home. Actually, we left the Exploder (Explorer) at the tire place to get new tires put on while we Chirstmas shopped last year. I have NO idea how he did this, but he bought the necklace, made it out to the truck and left it on the armrest for me to find when we were finished shopping.

Del
12-21-2006, 04:57 AM
A 42 inch plasma TV. Been watching it for a week...cause it was a floor model and didn't come in a box. It would have been hard to wrap. Clever huh? heheh.

jbal
12-21-2006, 04:57 AM
No point for me and the wife. She can look at a gift and know what's in it. I don't know how she does it, but I swear to God she gets it every time, no matter how unexpected I think a gift is. I made her stop.

Susie
12-21-2006, 04:58 AM
That sounds wonderful, Carole! Hope y'all get whatever you wish for. Your sister is a keeper, just like you!

Little Red Barn
12-21-2006, 04:59 AM
I did once when I was a kid..days before Christmas and rewrapped it...

It was a terrible Christmas, I've never been able to do it since. I cried.

Totally ruined my Christmas as we only got one present each.

Perks
12-21-2006, 05:03 AM
My sister had me open her gift right away. It's a GPS. I grew up in Washington DC, so you'd think I'd be able to navigate. But not here. No way. I told my sister about how I cope now, "If I think I'm going the right way, I just turn around. I'm not." -sigh-

It's so convoluted here, even the Sat/Nav can't do it. I haven't told her that though. It's very cool - it knows everything. Kinda creepy.

alleycat
12-21-2006, 05:12 AM
"If I think I'm going the right way, I just turn around. I'm not."
I think I've found your problem.

Perks
12-21-2006, 05:13 AM
I think I've found your problem.You think that's my only problem?

beezle
12-21-2006, 05:14 AM
I did once when I was a kid..days before Christmas and rewrapped it...

It was a terrible Christmas, I've never been able to do it since. I cried.

Totally ruined my Christmas as we only got one present each.

Hey, my little sister would cry and scream and complain whatever she was given.

alleycat
12-21-2006, 05:15 AM
You think that's my only problem?
I'm going to be nice. I've already gotten slapped once today . . . did you know women get upset when you forget their birthday?

rhymegirl
12-21-2006, 05:16 AM
Mine is hanging in the closet. I took it out of the Land's End box.

Pat~
12-21-2006, 05:27 AM
My hubby and I both opened Christmas presents early (check out my "location"), and we wore 'em to a western party. We'll open a few gifts on Christmas Eve with his folks, and then the rest on Christmas Day with my family.

BTW, Carole, the bracelet is beautiful.

SpookyWriter
12-21-2006, 05:28 AM
I'm not expecting any gifts.

Little Red Barn
12-21-2006, 06:06 AM
I'm not expecting any gifts.

Heres one from kimmi:Hug2:

SpookyWriter
12-21-2006, 06:14 AM
Heres one from kimmi:Hug2:Ah...now I'm going to start bawling my eyes out. Love's you Kimmi! :LilLove:

Little Red Barn
12-21-2006, 07:50 AM
Ah...now I'm going to start bawling my eyes out. Love's you Kimmi! :LilLove:

Loves ya more:poke: Happy and Safe Holiday Spooky.

SpookyWriter
12-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Loves ya more:poke: Happy and Safe Holiday Spooky.You're an...

http://godsheavenlymessangers.bravepages.com/angel172set1appletpic.jpg

Mom'sWrite
12-21-2006, 08:21 AM
My Christmas present has been laying on the floor for a month now...not that I'm untidy, it's a Persian rug.

Mr. screenmom and I don't do Christmas gifts for Christmas (well, for the kids we do, but not for us.) Often we'll do "just 'cuz" gifts throughout the year. We never could follow the dictates of tradition, even ones we like.

There is a bottle of Cristal in the fridgey for our anniversary though. Can't wait to dive into that.

Carole-that bracelet is gorgeous!

beezle
12-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Hey, I got a gift. I haven't peeked, but it's big, and guitar shaped.

Maybe it's a guitar.

MMcC
12-21-2006, 11:49 AM
I observe Yule but celebrate a generic version of "the holidays," which includes whatever weekend falls between Yule and Christmas. We'll swap gifts for real this weekend.

But my baby had to go away for a few days so I got my new diamond drop earrings and a lovely white and yellow gold watch to "take the sting off."

I also know I am getting New Novelist (the software) but it has not arrived from the UK yet.

Inkdaub
12-21-2006, 12:17 PM
I got one Christmas present. I opened it today. It was a jacket.

beezle
12-23-2006, 12:09 AM
I opened it. I knew what it was, and I still opened it. Now I feel bad.

Cat Scratch
12-23-2006, 03:06 AM
I accidentally opened a gift from my mom. She ordered it online from a place that doesn't do Christmas wrapping, and it was sent directly to me from the company, but I thought it was something I'd ordered myself since I was waiting on a few things. So I sat there going "I didn't order this?" and nearly called the company before I remembered my mom saying she was sending a few packages. Anyway, it was maternity clothes. Which might sound like a lousy gift except that I am actually pregnant.

I also got a car for Christmas which I've been driving around for nearly two weeks now, so technically, I reopen that gift every time I open the door and climb in!

truelyana
12-23-2006, 03:08 AM
I open them as soon as i get them, and so do my parents. Don't believe in the traditional things that other celebrate

beezle
12-23-2006, 03:11 AM
I open them as soon as i get them, and so do my parents. Don't believe in the traditional things that other celebrate

Traditions are what set us apart from the Bottle Nosed Dolphin.

Cat Scratch
12-23-2006, 03:14 AM
That, and I'm a poor swimmer.

truelyana
12-23-2006, 03:17 AM
Traditions are what set us apart from the Bottle Nosed Dolphin.

Ive never celebrated a tradition before, everytime i hear about one it doesnt make sense to me, its cute but I feel more about a bottle nosed dolphin :D

kristie911
12-23-2006, 05:54 AM
I didn't open one of my presents but I had bought my soon to be ex-husband a couple of instant lottery tickets for Christmas. Unfortunately for him, I love scratching off those darned things. So instead of adding them to his gift (it's not a gift from me, it's from our son) I decided to scratch them myself.

Guess what?! I won $22. Sorry 'bout your luck, jerk! LOL

CBeasy
12-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Congrats on the gift from Tiffany's! I haven't opened anything yet, but now that you mention it, I totally want to!

whistlelock
12-24-2006, 04:59 AM
Has anyone opened gifts early? Yes, my mothers. She sent me cheese. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

My-Immortal
12-24-2006, 05:40 AM
Of course we didn't.

You have to hide them really well!!! :)

We haven't opened anything yet. Tomorrow we'll celebrate Christmas with my family so we're waiting until then for some of the gifts and the rest will be opened on Christmas morning. I'm usually really bad at waiting for others to open my gifts to them but I'm doing good this year - I bought my wife's Christmas presents a couple of months ago and I still haven't asked her to open any yet.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year, Season's Greetings...and have a great weekend, week and end of the year everyone. :)

Carole
12-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Well, I can relate to the combined willpower of a 2 year old.

Last night, hubby and I totally caved. I opened everything he got me and he opened everything I got him. Wait - there is still one more package under the tree for him from me!! We still have presents, but they're from other family members.

He went totally overboard on me. He got a really nice Christmas bonus - much bigger than he's ever received - and he spent every dime of it on me and the boys. He told me that he was very tempted to buy new tires and shocks for the Jeep with it, but figured that would be really bad karma and that's he'd feel guilty all year over it.

One gift I am particularly happy about is the keyboard he bought me. I took piano lessons for 8 years when I was a little girl. When I got married to the ex-jerk, my parents moved my piano to my sister's house for my niece when she started taking lessons. That lasted about 6 months, but my sister still has my piano - 20 years later!

Hubby bought me a couple of books to go with the keyboard. It's been years since I've tried to play, but it's all coming back. I love it! This thing has very responsive keys. It feels like a real piano and it sounds beautiful. I believe that was his most thoughtful gift. He sat and listened to me play for a couple of hours yesterday, never once making the sour-lemon face when I hit a bad key.

Unique
12-24-2006, 04:17 PM
That's really sweet, Carole. (I'm laughing at the 'tire karma') How wise of him not to tempt fate!

And PeeDee - I hide my kid's big presents at the neighbor's house. Their kids are grown. :D

scarletpeaches
12-24-2006, 04:18 PM
You have to hide them really well!!! :)

The presents or the small child? :D

I don't celebrate Christmas, but I fully expect my dad to give me a huge tin of Quality Street when I visit next. Probably tomorrow. He's offered to feed me, so...*shrugs* Free food, like I'm gonna say no?