Bono Angry with Democrats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I don't blame ya, buddy.

After all the Bush administration and Congress has done and pledged to keep doing in this fight, to then have the democrats, the really compassionate ones, snub ya, must be tough to take.

Sorry, dude.

I love ya. And quite frankly, I'm angry about it too.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/12/19/115758.shtml

Bono 'Alarmed' By Democrats' AIDS Fund Snub

U2 rocker Bono stormed away from meetings with incoming Democratic leaders in disappointment over their failure to commit to a previously proposed $1 billion outlay to fight AIDS.

"I'm alarmed we could not get a commitment from the Democratic leadership to prevent the loss of $1 billion in the continuing resolution to fight AIDS, malaria and extreme poverty," the rock star said in a statement after the meetings in Washington with Democrats, including incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

President Bush had proposed that amount in the past, the New York Post reported.

"I don't know who's to blame,” Bono said. "Democrats are blaming Republicans, Republicans are blaming Democrats.

"But the million people who were expecting [mosquito] bed nets don’t know who to blame. They just know that a promise made by the United States to keep their families safe is in danger of being broken next year.”

Sad.

To the Should be bipartisan American Government on this issue: Give the one billion. Give two billion! Three! Whatever.

Even in debt, we have more money than Midas.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Giant bug eye sunglasses for everyone!

Reaction score
MattW said:
Giant bug eye sunglasses for everyone!

bono_bush_09.jpg

"Holla!"

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Bono once with regard to HIV/AIDS. I can understand why he would be so upset; AIDS is definitely his dearest cause and he's passionate and sincere about that. If the Dems are indeed bulking, I would be mad as well.

Reaction score
maestrowork said:
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Bono once with regard to HIV/AIDS. I can understand why he would be so upset; AIDS is definitely his dearest cause and he's passionate and sincere about that. If the Dems are indeed bulking, I would be mad as well.

You met Bono and you've never mentioned this to me?

Details please.

Everything.

Thank you.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Bono doesn't come down your chimney every year Billy?

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I thought I met Bono once, but it was just some guy who liked to wear sunglasses indoors and couldn't decide if he wanted to sell life insurance or real estate. I told him he could actually do both if he was clever enough, and he just stared at me with his mouth slightly open for about ten seconds, leading me to surmise that he was probably not clever enough.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have a perfect one-line for this, William Thrilly VII; but since I can't do one-liners until the day is over, I must refrain from using it. So, to answer your question: Yes, I have. And Mr. Bono was very pleasant and well-informed on AIDS issues. I also met Mr. Chris Tucker at the same meeting.

Reaction score
maestrowork said:
I have a perfect one-line for this, William Thrilly VII; but since I can't do one-liners until the day is over, I must refrain from using it. So, to answer your question: Yes, I have. And Mr. Bono was very pleasant and well-informed on AIDS issues.

That's awesome.

And I think most of us can agree that we should give the one billion dollars, if not more, to the AIDS problem in Africa.

Especially since we pledged that we would.

There are certain things that I don't mind paying for. I wouldn't even mind it if Bush or any President said, we're raising the tax rate .1 percent which will raise 20 billion a year extra in revenue and we're giving every dime of it to AIDS and poverty in Africa.

"I'd join the movement if there was one I could believe in."
Bono
Acrobat

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
There are certain things that I don't mind paying for. I wouldn't even mind it if Bush or any President said, we're raising the tax rate .1 percent which will raise 20 billion a year extra in revenue and we're giving every dime of it to AIDS and poverty in Africa.
Dem or Rep, we know that such a measure would never get into place without earmarks and pork. Even if it did, the extra percent would still be charged long after everyone in Africa was fat, relaxed, and healthy.

Reaction score
I'm sending both of you a case of Bono Bars for Christmas.

51461059_4191b0d1e7_m.jpg

PM me your addresss.

Enjoy.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
billythrilly7th said:
I'm sending both of you a case of Bono Bars for Christmas.

PM me your addresss.

Enjoy.

Thank you for Cher'ing.

You're a good person. And merry Christmas to you, too; and a happy New Year as well.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I also met Bono, in 1986 at an Amnesty International press conference in Atlanta. I still have a signed 'Conspiracy of Hope - Concerts for Amnesty International 1986" paper. The signature is made out to me - something like "BONO & Pam."

That day, I also met Coretta Scott King, Don King, Lou Reed, The Edge, Peter Gabriel and a few other people I can't remember offhand.

I was there with a class of students from college - my teacher, Murray Silver (the author of Great Balls of Fire) was friends with Peter Gabriel.

It's funny that I just found this Amnesty International paper a week or so ago.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Thank you for Cher'ing.

Um...just so people know...Bono's name is NOT pronounced the same way as Cher's former surname. Just thought I'd mention that in case this thread unintentionially perpetuated that myth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.