PDA

View Full Version : I'm everywhere

Toothpaste
12-15-2006, 12:47 AM
Okay so I'm not going to be replacing Brangelina any time soon, but I discovered last night as I was googling myself (yes I do it, I'm sure many of you do too), that my american publishers have announced my existence. I didn't want to say anything without my agent's permission, so I've been pre-empted.

But here's the news:

The Weinstein Company have bought two of my books. They used to be the brothers who ran Miramax, but now they've developed their own business, both film and book publishing. My book will be in their first list Fall 2007 with a dozen or so other titles. It is extremely exciting, and I really can't believe this is my life. Anyway, they obviously sent out a press release to various online outlets. Here are my two favourites:

Empire Online: www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=20124
- this one because they are just so cynical! It's so funny. Also because I am a huge fan of their magazine and check their website regularly. It's an honour.

And AWN, who have the nicest and most accurate article about me and my book: http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=top&newsitem_no=18661

Being Canadian I always get an icky feeling promoting myself, but I just HAD to post about this because it is hilarious, insane, and really fun. And this is the good news thread, so you know, it's nice to have good news now and then!

Okay. I'm going now. To laugh hysterically a bit more.

JennaGlatzer
12-15-2006, 01:03 AM
Get outta here! This is-- this is-- HUGE. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. It's brightening my day and I'm not even you. ;) You realize, of course, that we want details. Lots and lots of details.

WackAMole
12-15-2006, 01:06 AM
Wow! This sounds like a book for my thirteen year old! She loves pirates and loved em long before the movies.

Congrats on your success and ya..keep us posted!

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
12-15-2006, 01:07 AM
That's amazing! Well done!

Toothpaste
12-15-2006, 01:19 AM
Aw thanks guys! I always worry about 'bragging' (in grade 8 all my friends dumped me because they said I did it too much and I've been scarred ever since). But it's pretty darn exciting, and soooooooo funny!

Jenna what kind of details would you like? (and by the way how super honoured am I that you replied to my post! You are like a celebrity to me on here :) )

TheIT
12-15-2006, 01:20 AM
Congratulations!

MacAllister
12-15-2006, 01:20 AM
Many, many details. And autographs.

Congratulations!

Toothpaste
12-15-2006, 01:39 AM
And yet more thanks!

MacAllister: Details though about what? The story itself, the story of the deal? My favourite colour?

MidnightMuse
12-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Yes, your favorite color AND jello flavor.

And Congratulations :)

jdkiggins
12-15-2006, 02:09 AM
Adrienne, this is wonderful news. Congratulations! Alex and the Ironic Gentleman sounds like it will be a hit. I certainly understand your excitement with being picked up by Weinstien Books. They’re requesting sequels as well. You have every reason to be proud.

aadams73
12-15-2006, 02:15 AM
How totally fantastic!!! Much much success to you!

Susie
12-15-2006, 02:22 AM
Very wonderful news, Toothpaste! Congrats & way2go!

Melina
12-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Wow! So, now when I buy the book for my daughter, I can tell her I "know" the author! She'll be so excited!

alanna
12-15-2006, 03:30 AM
... gotta say it... I want to read it now! seriously, ya fantasy is my favorite genre, and i WANT... puh-LEASE post a message on the board when it's released, so I won't forget? :) this is amazing. contratulations!

(p.s.- as for those people in 8th grade...phsaw. they weren't your fellow writers, so their comments are beneath you. bragging is what this board is for... indulge.)

glassquill
12-15-2006, 05:06 AM
Nothing like great news to brighten the day. Congratulations! May this be just the tip of the iceberg in a long line of successes.

:hooray:

Freckles
12-15-2006, 05:22 AM
You're awesome! :) Although, you probably already knew that, right??

piscesgirl80
12-15-2006, 06:41 AM
The Weinstein Company have bought two of my books. They used to be the brothers who ran Miramax, but now they've developed their own business, both film and book publishing. My book will be in their first list Fall 2007 with half a dozen or so other titles. It is extremely exciting, and I really can't believe this is my life.

This is fantastic! Woohoos all around!:e2woo::e2woo::e2woo::e2woo:
I'm so thrilled for and proud of and happy for you. :e2cloud9: Don't forget us all when you're rich and famous!:e2crown:

Toothpaste
12-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Details:

My favourite colour is burgandy I suppose.

Alanna, I wouldn't get too excited. First off it's MG. And second it's more magical realism than fantasy really. More A Series of Unfortunate Events than Harry Potter (not that Harry isn't fabulous). However there are pirates. And who doesn't enjoy that. And before people tell me I am jumping on the bandwagon I have loved Pirates ever since my parents took me to see Pirates of Penzance when I was like 8.

The book itself is very Alice in Wonderland. More about the people my MC meets along the way than the story itself. Part satire, making fun of the adult world. It's around 83 000 words after the latest edit, which I just finished Monday.

The Weinstein deal was insane. I was in the middle of doing a run of Macbeth, and the show had just finished and I checked my voice mail. My agent, calling from UK (cause that's where I was when I got my agent) had left a message to call her back. So I did and she told me the news. That there had been a four way auction for my book, and the Weinsteins were currently on top. That Harvey himself called my agent to express his interest in the book (she called it the highlight of her career so far). And well I took a weekend to think it over. And then said yes of course. It was all so crazy. But still, the craziest bit was suddenly finding me all over the net.

Um . . . any other details I may have missed?

Thanks guys as always for the support. It's nice when nice things happen!

badducky
12-15-2006, 08:29 AM
Apparently, Douglas Adams is a very good patron saint.

Congrats!

Nakhlasmoke
12-15-2006, 09:28 AM
That's great! What wonderful news, thanks for sharing.

Lemony Snicket meets Alice in Wonderland? I'm intrigued. Keep us updated.

wyntermoon
12-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Holy Smokes!!! That's incredible!!! WHOO HOOO!!

I can't wait to buy this for my daughters, we need a release party! Congratulations!

aka eraser
12-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Bravo from a fellow Canucklehead. :Thumbs:

C.bronco
12-15-2006, 05:51 PM
That's awesome! Please, go ahead and brag; we all know how hard it is to get where you are now!!!

Jenny
12-16-2006, 03:20 AM
Awesome!!! Wow! CONGRATULATIONS!!! [Who said Macbeth was bad luck?]

JennaGlatzer
12-16-2006, 03:57 AM
That there had been a four way auction for my book, and the Weinsteins were currently on top. That Harvey himself called my agent to express his interest in the book (she called it the highlight of her career so far).

That. Is. The. COOLEST!!

Um . . . any other details I may have missed?

Yes, many. :D Let the interrogation begin! Okay, here are things I want to know...

-Was this the first manuscript you wrote?

-What was your writing process like?

-Tell us more about the process of getting to the sale. So you wrote this manuscript, then began sending queries to agents in the UK? How did it go? (Did you query lots of agents? Did the one you chose say yes right away?)

-How long did it take the agent to sell it?

-Did she expect that there would be an auction?

-HOW FREAKIN' EXCITED ARE YOU?! This is such a thrill. Please don't think for one second that it's considered "bragging" around here to share good news. I think it inspires most of us a lot.

Actually, I had a "first sale stories" thread going on in Novels a while back... I'll have to find it and resurrect it so we can add yours. :)

AmyDoodle
12-16-2006, 04:20 AM
We encourage bragging here. In fact, we demand it! :Clap: This is wonderful news. High fives all around! And Snoopy dances. Don't forget the Snoopy dances!
:snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy:

Toothpaste
12-16-2006, 04:33 AM
You guys are so funny! Thank you so much all of you!!

Jenna. Wow. Baby's first interview.

Technically yes, this was the first MS I wrote. But I have been trying forever to just write a book. Just for fun, never with anything else in mind. I was obsessed with writing a detective novel but I realised I suck at detective novels. I then turned my focus on plays when I took a course on playwrighting at university. I then produced and directed one at the Edinburgh Fringe to really great reviews. So while I was in the UK (I lived there for 3 years, just moved back to Canada this summer). I was temping while trying to get acting work and one day got so sick of London. So I went to the town of Bath for a weekend. While there I just started thinking about writing an MG. And as I walked around I was so inspired by everything that I went back to my B & B, and started to write. And I continued to. And I had never kept going with one story before. It was still just to pass the time. But by the end of the summer (last year), I started thinking to myself, well . . . what . . . if?

By mid-fall I had done some research (hadn't finished the book yet, mind) and decided I would try to get an agent. Being an actor that's the way I liked to do things. I went home for the holidays and perfected my query letter, first three chapters (as in the UK they ask for them on the off) and synopsis. When I returned to the UK I took a week and went through agents, chose some and did a mail out (still had the end of the novel to write, but I figured it said it took 4 - 6 weeks to hear back so you know, I had time . . . sigh, so young, so innocent).

THE NEXT DAY, I hear from an agent. She wants my whole MS.

S***.

So I took the next three days and wrote the rest of the book. In the meantime I sent the rest of the MS to mom and dad to go over (they know what they are doing, no worries) and then got the MS to the agent.

This is all a very long story which is elaborated on in my blog. Short version:

Agent asks for me to cut 10 000 words. I do. Two weeks later we meet and she offers representation. More edits ensue. She sends out stuff to publishers in the UK. A month later, Scholastic UK love it. They make an offer for 2 books, the offer is in a treasure chest complete with treasure map, costume jewlery, chocolate money (!!! so cute).

We accept offer.

Agent goes to Frankfurt. The Italians, the Greeks, and the Germans buy it!

November rolls round and my agent calls with the news of the auction. I don't know if it was expected or not, I didn't that's for sure! And then the Americans paste the internet with the news.

And all of this, despite the tone of this response, is unbelievably exciting, and has sort of got me addicted to really wonderful things. I'm spoiled! I am so excited. My parents are so excited. My extended family is so excited. My friends are all excited. It's all so unreal.

From submission to agent - 4 months.
Agent to Scholastic - 4 weeks

I am very very aware of how unfair that is. As an actor, I have worked my a** off to not much great success (yet). Gone to theatre school after theatre school, done every type of production. And yet Evangeline Lilly (from Lost) is discovered on the street. I feel a bit like the equivalent. Granted I have been writiing all my life, I didn't just stumble onto it. Still I have been unbelievably lucky and I know it. And I am grateful for it everyday.

Phew.

Any other questions? This is fun!

Saundra Julian
12-16-2006, 04:37 AM
WOW! Break a leg!

aliajohnson
12-16-2006, 05:06 AM
Amazing, wonderful, and no doubt well earned. In response to your earlier "unfair"--Just because it happened more quickly for you than it has for others doesn't mean you deserve it less. Enjoy your cloud nine!

Congratulations Toothpaste!

:snoopy: :e2woo:

Sury
12-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Huge CONGRATULATIONS, Toothpaste! :D

Sury

oarsman
12-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Congratulations!! You deserve it Adrienne! Your hard work in all your pursuits carried over to your writing. :)

Toothpaste
12-17-2006, 01:52 AM
Wow, thanks guys. It's extremely touching how supportive everyone is. I know that sounds cheesy, but it really really is. Oarsman, it's funny. When I was sitting with my agent in her office, after having unwrapped the Treasure Chest from Scholastic, sipping some champagne, I said to her, "You know, it feels weird, I'm not sure if I've really earned this as a writer." She said, "Well maybe you've earned it as a person." It was a bit of a joke, pretending to be deep and all probably due to the bubbles going to our heads, but it kinda made sense at the same time. Then again, I'm not going to deny that a lot of all of this has been luck. Not to diminish my work or anything, but in the arts, especially in the arts, you do need a bit of luck along the way too.

Pisarz
12-19-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm late to the party on this because I haven't visited this board in a while, but . . . wow. Wow! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Good for you" and "Congratulations" don't cut it--this is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing . . . this is so impressive I'm at a loss for words! :hooray:

maestrowork
12-19-2006, 07:11 PM
I want to offer my major congrats to you, Adrianne. This is huge, with both book and movie rights with the Weinstein company? So, when will we see the movie? (I know, I know, the book is coming out in 2007)

:)

Meerkat
12-19-2006, 07:19 PM
What enourmous, great news. A huge success, congratulations! Sorry that you are probably not dong as well in the "collect rejection letters" competition though...you can't win 'em all!

truelyana
12-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Well done :)

Toothpaste
12-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Oh thanks everyone!

Maestro, they don't actually have the movie rights, but they have an option on the rights. I mean, like you said, must wait to see once it actually comes out if anyone will even read the book. It's all a bit nerve wracking. All I want is for kids to like the book, and so far everyone making any decisions etc have been adults. The real test, will be the fall 2007. And of course you will all be kept posted on every annoying detail.

I expect the next major post will be about cover art, you may all have to console me! I've had actual nightmares about what the cover may be!

maestrowork
12-19-2006, 09:20 PM
You are way too humble. You will do great. And enjoy your tremendous success; you are an inspiration. Do come back and post more, because you give everyone hope that: Yes, first-time authors do make it. Just write that darn good book!

Thank you for sharing. We are VERY happy for you.

Isanthe
12-20-2006, 04:53 AM
Big congratulations, Toothpaste! And thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you followed your instincts, had fun, and were richly rewarded for it. That's a huge inspiration :)

ChunkyC
01-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Congrats, Adrianne! You make me proud to be Canadian. Okay, you give me another reason to be proud to be Canadian. ;)

I can't wait to see "Based on the novel by...." scroll across the screen! W00t!

CaroGirl
01-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Very cool! That totally rocks. I'm always proud to be Canadian too.

stormie
01-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Wow! That's so exciting, toothpaste (really love that username!). And it was at auction, no less. Way to go!
(ETA: Just realized your name is Adrianne. Thanks, CC!)

janetbellinger
01-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Good for you Toothpaste. That's great to hear.

aarthurco
01-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Holy Toledo! That is AWESOME! Great job!

Pat~
01-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Every writer's dream, Toothpaste! Keep us posted as all unfolds! And always come and 'brag' here--it inspires us :) .

triceretops
01-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Inexplicable. That's all I've got to say about this. It's just so righteous that your manuscript struck such a cord. You are an inspiration to all of us. And dang, it, I hope that movie gets made too.

Tri

Toothpaste
01-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Ha thanks everyone!! You guys rock!

It would be awesome if they made the movie, but it'll be interesting to see come the release of the book if they are still interested. Studios are buying up the rights (though I still haven't sold the rights yet) to all these children's books and comic books 'just in case', I doubt even a third of them get made.

Still, fingers crossed!

maddythemad
01-07-2007, 12:40 AM
Congrats, Toothpaste! That is so freaking awesome!! :Jump:

Bufty
01-07-2007, 02:41 AM
Don't know how I missed this thread, but huge congratulations to you, Toothpaste. It's so heartening to know it can happen and I wish you every success.

jester
01-07-2007, 05:34 AM
CONGRATS!! Story sounds so cool.

:snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy:

Jester