PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Gallery for Writing Style Experiment

Pages : [1] 2

MacAllister
12-13-2006, 06:17 PM
If you've got questions about terms, need clarification, or just have observations to make while we go through the week (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48839&page=12)--this is the place to do it!

PLEASE NOTE: I did revise the final list of rules for each of us, and stickied it so you can find it easily. Just double-check, if you began last night, and make certain you're up-to-date.

rhymegirl
12-13-2006, 06:19 PM
This is harder than I thought it would be. When I made my first post, attempting to use the tricks assigned to me, I found I had to really stop and think about the words very carefully before posting them.

Oops, Mac already did this.

robeiae
12-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Ten words doen't leave me much room to make a.

See?

dclary
12-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Rob, I feel your frustration, I think. Try:

It's tough to stay under ten words. I like to string my thoughts together. This is quite a challenge. Thank you Mac, may I have more?

Unique
12-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Maybe Mac can change the title to The Peanut Gallery's Observations.

I'll be watching with close interest as I'm sure others will but I don't feel right putting any of my words in the 'official' thread because I'm not playing.

Just a thought.

dclary
12-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Wow, I just noticed my rules changed somewhere in the wee hours of the night when none stalk the halls but the Mac.

I shall have to reset my sigline.

Bravo
12-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Hardest. Thing. Ever.

dahmnait
12-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Poor Bravo has to find the ever-elusive shift key. Oh, the not using smilies is difficult. They keep whispering to me, “Put me here.” This means that I actually have to convey my tone with my words. Since I don’t want to offend, I depend on those smilies.

I may offend a lot of people this next week.

rhymegirl
12-13-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm sorry, Rob, but I'm afraid that you have a rather easy task compared with the task of others; you might consider the plight of your fellow game-players who must take the time and effort to think carefully about the words they choose to post before posting them.

And in addition, perhaps this week will give you some time for self-reflection and a chance to step back and witness how words affect others, particularly two or three-syllable words which really pack a wallop when delivered effectively.

robeiae
12-13-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm sorry, Rob, but I'm afraid that you have a rather easy task compared with the task of others; you might consider the plight of your fellow game-players who must take the time and effort to think carefully about the words they choose to post before posting them.Almost all words I know are longer than two syll-ables. Stop being so mean. (good job)

It's like when I was in first grade...

MajorDrums
12-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Five sentences?? Every post I make this week has to be five sentences or more. I'm going to miss my word games, that's for sure. No "Around the World..." or "Write something About The Person..." this week. This, of course, will be challenging; hopefully I would not limit myself to using this new voice simply to inveigh issues in topic discussions.

Stew21
12-13-2006, 07:07 PM
No one is going to read any of my posts. With the requirement of at least one five sentence paragraph, no personal anecdotes, and no flirting. I simply do not have that much to say that it would require long paragraphs. Not to mention that it will be very difficult not using contractions. How does that work? A less emotional Trish - Yikes.

robeiae
12-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Not to mention that it will be very difficult not using contractions.That sounds like flirting to me.

Back when I was younger, there was this one girl...

She could contract like you wouldn't believe.

Shadow_Ferret
12-13-2006, 07:12 PM
I need mine explained to me. (6)

I can't use any conjunctions it would appear to be saying. (11)

I have to vary my sentence length by five words each time I write a sentence! (16)

Whew! (1)

Stew21
12-13-2006, 07:15 PM
That sounds like flirting to me.

Back when I was younger, there was this one girl...

She could contract like you wouldn't believe.

I do not appreciate your instigation. You are saying things that you know I would want to respond to. Do you realize how many rep points you are going to receive this week? I would put a smilie face here, possibly the winking one, but that is not allowed. This last sentence is an addition because I only had four sentences in this paragraph. That is not allowed. Now there are six, which is much better.

dahmnait
12-13-2006, 07:21 PM
No one is going to read any of my posts. With the requirement of at least one five sentence paragraph, no personal anecdotes, and no flirting. I simply do not have that much to say that it would require long paragraphs. Not to mention that it will be very difficult not using contractions. How does that work? A less emotional Trish - Yikes.
I am very glad that no one noticed my use of contractions, or, if they noticed, that they didn’t comment on it. I think that people will still read your posts. You will probably have people trying to goad you into flirting with them.

Side note: When I write like this it seems so formal, which is why I use fragments. I miss my fragments.

rhymegirl
12-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Have any of you read the guidelines by which Ray has to abide? He's not allowed to do any flirting this week, which I find an almost impossible task, not to mention a task which will severely affect others on this board who're used to his flirting. In addition, since I'm supposed to use five sentences or so per post, might I say that Ray might find, as I have, that responding to other people's posts takes a certain amount of restraint. Somewhere I thought I noted that I'm not supposed to flirt either. Therefore, this week should prove to be somewhat difficult for me as well.

Shadow_Ferret
12-13-2006, 07:25 PM
No flirting? I got off easy (five six seven).

Birol
12-13-2006, 07:27 PM
MacAllister! You changed my rules, too, and one of them changes has less to do with me and more to do with the fact that you love your ever-lovin' commas and can't stand not to see them used. Now, if everyone will excuse me, I have to go explore other learning and teaching methods, something besides the Socratic method.

Stew21
12-13-2006, 07:29 PM
I do not get to flirt either, Kathy. Rob is the one that suggested that rule apply to me as well as others. you were included in that, but it looks as though Mac did not make you abide by it. HOL is going to be very wholesome in the next week, is it not? And yes, Tammy, some will attempt to goad me into flirting behavior. I must resist it.

Birol
12-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Serious question, Mac, what's the last day for this little exercise? I agree that deliberately changing your writing style is a hard exercise, I've done it before, too, and since we've already started, I just need to know what is the end date and time for this bit of word play?

Medievalist
12-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Serious question, Mac, what's the last day for this little exercise?

Like it matters . . . I'll croak from stress alone in a couple a days.

rhymegirl
12-13-2006, 07:43 PM
I do not get to flirt either, Kathy. Rob is the one that suggested that rule apply to me as well as others. you were included in that, but it looks as though Mac did not make you abide by it. HOL is going to be very wholesome in the next week, is it not? And yes, Tammy, some will attempt to goad me into flirting behavior. I must resist it.

So, what you're saying, Trish, is that you perceived Mac's instructions for me to be different than yours and you've dismissed Rob's comments about my flirting, instead assuming that this rule applies to you and not to me? And as for HOL, I don't see how you can assume it will be wholesome this week as there are some AW members such as Maryn, Fizzy, Sass, Ben and others who are not participating in this experiment who will continue to flirt and use profanity as they wish.

(this is exhausting)

Celia Cyanide
12-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Mac pointed out my tendency toward informal language. I have since become more inclined to use it in an obnoxiously self-aware sense.

(translation: Dude, I'm jonesin' to use slang just to be a buttwipe. I could totally school Lisa in this shiznit.)

Stew21
12-13-2006, 07:48 PM
So, what you're saying, Trish, is that you perceived Mac's instructions for me to be different than yours and you've dismissed Rob's comments about my flirting, instead assuming that this rule applies to you and not to me? And as for HOL, I don't see how you can assume it will be wholesome this week as there are some AW members such as Maryn, Fizzy, Sass, Ben and others who are not participating in this experiment who will continue to flirt and use profanity as they wish.

(this is exhausting) What I am saying is, Rob suggested you have the same fate as Ray and I. Mac did not enforce it in your instruction. I suppose the "wholesome" part was particularly in my share of the fun, as well as Ray's. It will be fun to read, though my participation will have to be limited. Thankfully I can still use profanity.

dclary
12-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Almost all words I know are longer than two syll-ables. Stop being so mean. (good job)

It's like when I was in first grade...

"two syllables" could be edited to "that." -- This would solve your syllabic length issue in the first sentence.

dclary
12-13-2006, 08:01 PM

Trish, I think I know what you mean, and I feel for you. You share a large part of yourself when you post, because it brings personality and taste of your surroundings and family -- the things that mean the most to you -- to your messages. What this exercise may do is show that people appreciate you not just for your vivaciousness and sparkly self, but for the actual words you write as well.

Good luck. And consider yourself fortunate you're not pregnant. Can you imagine Jenna being told "no more than one contraction?"

Birol
12-13-2006, 08:02 PM
I have to go explore other learning and teaching methods, something besides the Socratic method.

Wait just a minute. The Socratic method ain't about rhetorical questions, so I can still use it, I just can't end sentences with things like 'doesn't it?' I do believe that's what she means by that part of my instructions. Whew! That's alright then.

Birol
12-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Ten words doen't leave me much room to make a.

See?

Ah, but that's the thing Rob, you have to carefully consider each word you choose before selecting it to make certain it's just the right word for the message you want to share. That's your challenge for this exercise. I had a professor who did basically the same thing to me one semester and it did help make me a better writer in the long run.

Frex: It's hard to make a point with only ten words. (10)

Jean Marie
12-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Like it matters . . . I'll croak from stress alone in a couple a days.
Excellent usage of old English, Medievalist. I'm not entirely certain of the origin of the word "croak" or if it has Celtic roots. Naturally, I bring up Celtic knowing that that's your particular area of interest/expertise.

On a side-note, Medievalist; breathing is fundamental. It may alleviate your stress.

As for Rob, I feel that he's cheating. Thus far, we've learned nothing personal about him. Which is a shame, as his bio and his blog point to the fact that he has potential toward an interesting personna. I look forward to his vulnerability.

Birol
12-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Ah, JM, it takes a while to get comfortable in a new skin when you haven't thought about word choices and all that much. Give our Rob a half day or so to get comfortable with the way his thoughts have to flow now.

Jean Marie
12-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Ah, JM, it takes a while to get comfortable in a new skin when you haven't thought about word choices and all that much. Give our Rob a half day or so to get comfortable with the way his thoughts have to flow now.
And you think my post came easily? Egads. Entire paragraphs I'm expected to come up with. Longer sentences to boot. Speaking of which, I'd better make this one just that, somehow or other, right?

Birol
12-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Best get crackin'.

Jean Marie
12-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Best get crackin' then.
You lost an opportunity for a comma, Birol. You could have used one right after crackin' :)

What I find fascinating about this exercise is;run-on sentences were problematic in the past. I worked my tail off on improving basic structure. Now, I need to lengthen them. Apparently, it's more about balance.

And I'm working on balance in RL, too. No coincidence that our writing mirrors our lives, is there? I seriously doubt that's just me.

Birol
12-13-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't think the comma usage thing is about inserting commas where they don't have to belong, because using a comma before 'then' in that example, would have, to me, changed the meaning of what I was saying. I can't speak for Mac, but I took the comma usage crack to be her getting a dig in at me, and also about breaking up thoughts, to slow them down, and make them more leisurely, but, if you want a comma after 'crackin'', I might consider adding one.

Medievalist
12-13-2006, 08:47 PM
And you think my post came easily? Egads. Entire paragraphs I'm expected to come up with. Longer sentences to boot. Speaking of which, I'd better make this one just that, somehow or other, right?

Go have fun with semi-colons (http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/410/grammar/colons.htm).

I :heart: semi-colons. They can join two sentences, so if you have two sentences that naturally link to/with each other because of what they say, you can use the semi-colon to show that connection. But the bits on either side of the semi-colon need to both be full sentences, and they need to be related.

robeiae
12-13-2006, 08:58 PM
As for Rob, I feel that he's cheating. Thus far, we've learned nothing personal about him.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=982973&postcount=7

:D

dclary
12-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Go have fun with semi-colons (http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/410/grammar/colons.htm).

I :heart: semi-colons. They can join two sentences, so if you have two sentences that naturally link to/with each other because of what they say, you can use the semi-colon to show that connection. But the bits on either side of the semi-colon need to both be full sentences, and they need to be related.

I am considering flagging the sentence in bold as your only compound/complex sentence of the day, Medi.

You could have gone with:

"They can join two sentences. If you have two sentences that contextually link to each other you can use the semi-colon to show that connection."

I would recommend you edit, or look forward to a significantly less complex rest-of-the-day.

robeiae
12-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Thankfully I can still use profanity.

...avoid emotive vocabulary.
:roll:

BottomlessCup
12-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Sweet! I got off easy.

I was sure that I was going to get busted on my constant use of the semi-words, "kinda" and "sorta." The 'and' rule will be difficult, but at least I still have 'which'. Which I use a lot, too. Using exclamation points will be fun. I think somewhere along the line, some book on screenwriting put me off them completely.

The five-sentence paragraph one will be tough. I like my white space. I'm a screenwriter!

robeiae
12-13-2006, 09:11 PM
By the by, on this thread we should be able to post in our traditional manner. So stop counting the words in my last sentence, Dave.

Birol
12-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Ooo. Rob's making up exceptions to the rules for his own benefit. Finding it kinda tuff, are ya, my logical friend?

robeiae
12-13-2006, 09:24 PM
That hurts, Birol. That really hurts. Am I not a man? Do I not bleed?

In 1980, I farted during a social studies test. Loud. People teased me and it hurt. You have brought back the pain...

Unique
12-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Um... yeah. You were supposed to. You didn't notice Kathy and Trish's new look?

Lost your glasses again, eh?

Unique
12-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Get out of here. This is the peanut gallery. Your thread is upstairs.

Quit cheating by being in here or I'll tell. :poke:

greglondon
12-13-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree that this is difficult. You are all experiencing valid reactions. I think I'm gonna die. BWWAAA!

Birol
12-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Um, KTC, you probably should start joining together all those little bitty posts into one bigger post.

Birol
12-13-2006, 10:12 PM
What would everyone think about posting the flagged plays here, with links, so we only have one place to look for any screw ups?

Stew21
12-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Peanut gallery thread and players discussion thread have been combined, Unique. Kevin can be here. Posting flagged plays here is a good idea. kevin, put your style for the week in your sigline. (oops, is "babydoll" flirting? if it is, can I still call him names other than, "kevin" or "ktc"? I have to ask.)

Celia Cyanide
12-13-2006, 10:19 PM
You could have gone with:

"They can join two sentences. If you have two sentences that contextually link to each other you can use the semi-colon to show that connection."

Perhaps this would be Lisa's best option:

Semicolons are sweet. But you don't just stick two totally random sentences together, and the sentences can't be half-assed.

Rolling Thunder
We need to start a pool, too. Who's head will http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_133.gifbefore the week ends?

Birol
Babydoll is a pet name, a diminutive. It implies intimacy or a want of intimacy, so, yes, it could be perceived as flirting in this context. You can call him other names, but not ones that imply a sexual or suggest a diminutive relationship.

Translated into relax style:

Yep. Calling someone 'babydoll' sounds like flirting to me, especially in this exchange. You can't do that this week, Trish. You should substitute buddy-type names instead.

Stew21
12-13-2006, 10:42 PM
I took the "babydoll" out, though I am not happy about it. I do not want the play flagged, so I fixed it. At least I asked. do you suppose that means I knew better but did it anyway? I will try harder next time.

sassandgroove
12-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Is it too late to play? The original thread is closed.

MacAllister
12-13-2006, 10:51 PM
I sent you a private message, Sassandgroove. There's ample room for another, and thank you for playing.

Edited: because I'm apparently aphasic.

rhymegirl
12-13-2006, 11:03 PM
What are you talking about?

Kath is Nicky?

No, Kevin, I'm not attempting to be Nick. I chose this avatar because it represents the devil, and since I'm supposed to play devil's advocate I thought a representation of the devil would be appropriate for my avatar. Am I making sense to you, or not? Why would you assume I'm attempting to be Nick, as if other members on this board can't use this avatar?

Jean Marie
12-13-2006, 11:06 PM
That hurts, Birol. That really hurts. Am I not a man? Do I not bleed?

In 1980, I farted during a social studies test. Loud. People teased me and it hurt. You have brought back the pain...
I'm incredibly impressed; Rob has chosen to share personal moments with us. One of which the mere mention appears to bring him to his knees. The other appears to elate him to no end. I'm referring to his Kneivel reference, in an earlier post. It was a Christmas scenario that caused him great happiness.

I conclude that we keep a close eye on him. He may be venturing near a psychiatric precipice. My fears are based on the fact that he is traveling the emotional spectrum, in the extreme.

Sarita
12-13-2006, 11:06 PM
This is hard. Is anyone else avoiding posts because of altered style? Where have my exclamation points gone?

Leave me alone. (Ahhh, she snuck in an imperative, didn't she?)

BottomlessCup
12-13-2006, 11:18 PM
This is hard. Is anyone else avoiding posts because of altered style?

Yes!

For me, the "five-sentence paragraph" rule is the blocker. There's been a few threads where I wanted to add one little comment. Since I couldn't come up with a good long paragraph for them, I skipped it. Five sentences is a lot. Four would be easy.

The exclamation point one is fun. I feel very emphatic.

dclary
12-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Get out of here. This is the peanut gallery. Your thread is upstairs.

Quit cheating by being in here or I'll tell. :poke:

He's clearly a nut.

Stew21
12-13-2006, 11:19 PM
I have also struggled with the five sentence paragraph rule. A lot of my sentences are superfluous. No reason for them whatsoever. Like this one. AND this one.

dclary
12-13-2006, 11:20 PM
I took the "babydoll" out, though I am not happy about it. I do not want the play flagged, so I fixed it. At least I asked. do you suppose that means I knew better but did it anyway? I will try harder next time.

For the sake of maintaining Trish's sanity. Robeiae and I will simply imagine Trish IN her babydoll. Hahahahaha! She can't reply to this or it'll be flirting.

Mods? Can we taunt other players into breaking their rules?

Stew21
12-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Taunting should not be allowed. You are just attempting to get me to give you flirtatious rep points. My one line flirt-backs have been taken away and you think it would be fun to torment me. How can this be? I feel so "unclever" and unaffectionate. I would swear right now, but that would be emotive of me, would it not?

aka eraser
12-13-2006, 11:25 PM
I predict most of you will join other writing boards before the day is out so you can post in your normal styles lest your heads explode.

:)

dclary
12-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Taunting should not be allowed. You are just attempting to get me to give you flirtatious rep points. My one line flirt-backs have been taken away and you think it would be fun to torment me. How can this be? I feel so "unclever" and unaffectionate. I would swear right now, but that would be emotive of me, would it not?

If I understand what you're saying, you're having difficulty writing as "Trish" this week, because this is not you.

Well this is exactly why we're doing this. Instead of writing as Trish, write as Data from Star Trek. An emotionless robot who does not use contractions. All this week, you will be writing in his voice. By the end of the week, you should have nailed that character flawlessly.

This is how I do it. And according to Jean Marie, I do it so well, she refuses this is actually me.

Rolling Thunder
12-13-2006, 11:30 PM

You have beautiful eyes when you're perturbed................

dclary
12-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Stew is cheating. She has emoticons in her sig.

BottomlessCup
12-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Taunting should not be allowed.

Oh, sure. That's why you capitalized the "and" you used to begin a sentence, in a post right after mine. You know I can't do that. Yet you emphasize it, to mock me with its easy, conversational tone. No taunting. Pfft!

jst5150
12-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Hey, look ... CAKE!

Crap.

Back to the 12 step program.

Stew21
12-13-2006, 11:36 PM
You are correct, B-cup. I did that just for you. And I would have put a wink after it, had I been allowed. I am not.

Sarita
12-13-2006, 11:43 PM
I predict most of you will join other writing boards before the day is out so you can post in your normal styles lest your heads explode.We will not. Go back to your fishing hole, Frank.

*Boy, this imperative thing is easier than one would think. It's avoiding the first person that's difficult.

rhymegirl
12-13-2006, 11:50 PM
I predict most of you will join other writing boards before the day is out so you can post in your normal styles lest your heads explode.

:)

I don't know why you would make a statement like that since it is clearly possible that AW consists of members who are quite capable of maintaining a different style of writing for a mere week. It shows that you don't have faith in the people who post here, or perhaps you've never seen them challenged in such a way that they must forfeit their usual personalities and writing styles in favor of ones that just simply require a little more time and effort. If it seems that this post is droning on and on it's because I must maintain my length and five-sentence or more requirement. I see that I haven't yet made that so get ready for one more sentence. How does Rob do it, I must wonder; I believe I forgot to include a contraction there, so here's one.

Rolling Thunder
12-14-2006, 12:01 AM
*fweeeeeeeeee*

Illegal use of one word post. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=983778&postcount=170

4 sentence penalty.
Repeat, third down.

Birol
12-14-2006, 12:02 AM
they must forfeit their usual personalities

I don't get this, Kathy. How does changing our word choices make us different people? It's not like my opinions or beliefs are any different, just because I'm posting more casually than I normally do. I mean, I'm still me, and I'll still get mad or upset or laugh at the same things.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Kevin is insane.

Stew21
12-14-2006, 12:10 AM
My rules indicate that I should avoid self-referentials. That has been neglected thus far. The correction will be made from this post forward. Let us now talk about YOU.

BottomlessCup
12-14-2006, 12:11 AM
*fweeeeeeeeee*

Illegal use of one word post. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=983778&postcount=170

4 sentence penalty.
Repeat, third down.

Fixed!

In fixing it, I realized how strong my tendency to start sentences with 'and' is. Holy crap. It's like a damned compulsion. I had to backspace out three sentences. Thank god for 'or'.

jst5150
12-14-2006, 12:11 AM
"Should avoid self-references and personal anecdotes, and avoid emotive vocabulary."

So, if she stays on track, Trish can be a White House press secretary. Good to know.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 12:12 AM
And I thought I was bad...

Stew21
12-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Kevhead, you should be so proud of yourself. That post was exceptionally well-thought and thorough. You did not leave anything to be added in a subsequent smaller post. So glad to see you did not take the bait. (and something encouraging about your post should be stated here, but I am not sure what.)

Celia Cyanide
12-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Perhaps Medievalist and I could educate each other in the realm of word choice. I could teach her how to say "a minute" when she intends to indicate a much longer time period.

jst5150
12-14-2006, 12:15 AM
This challenge is feeling eeirly like the Seinfeld challenge where Kramer bursts through the door, slaps the $10 on the table, says, "I'm out!" and leaves.

Stew21
12-14-2006, 12:17 AM
And I thought I was bad...

do you realize how this would have been responded to if you had said it yesterday? A Rep comment should be along shortly. An emoticon would possibly be sitting right here, but it will not. A million one line flirts running through my head, and I cannot use a single one. I would say damn here, but I cannot.

rhymegirl
12-14-2006, 12:24 AM
I don't get this, Kathy. How does changing our word choices make us different people? It's not like my opinions or beliefs are any different, just because I'm posting more casually than I normally do. I mean, I'm still me, and I'll still get mad or upset or laugh at the same things.

Okay, Lori, I will attempt to explain what I meant by that. I guess perhaps not everyone is looking at this the same way that I interpreted it. Mac wanted me to play devil's advocate for the week so I assumed that meant I am supposed to argue about things that I don't normally argue about. In the experiment thread, Rob said that I should try to avoid my "good natured" style, which essentially is my personality. So in trying to play devil's advocate, it changes my personality. (it's all meant in fun, so I hope people know that)

dclary
12-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Okay, Lori, I will attempt to explain what I meant by that. I guess perhaps not everyone is looking at this the same way that I interpreted it. Mac wanted me to play devil's advocate for the week so I assumed that meant I am supposed to argue about things that I don't normally argue about. In the experiment thread, Rob said that I should try to avoid my "good natured" style, which essentially is my personality. So in trying to play devil's advocate, it changes my personality. (it's all meant in fun, so I hope people know that)

I think what you're saying here is that the rules assigned to you seem to prompt you to make posts you wouldn't normally make, and respond to threads you might not otherwise. I think instead what it was intended to do was to make you approach the same posts you'd always make from a different angle.

It's like a compare and contrast essay. Sometimes it's very easy to see how two things compare, but not so easy to see how they contrast. When you see a post you want to reply to, and maybe your initial thought is that you agree with it, you should just look to see if there's something maybe that you don't. Maybe it's perfect, except for one thing, or maybe there's a flaw you'd rather ignore, and would normally ignore. Now, looking at it as devil's advocate, you can still agree, but raise some doubts or questions about the original thread as well. In this way you stimulate the conversation, because the OP then has to reply with clarifications or new rebuttals.

rhymegirl
12-14-2006, 01:23 AM
Just to clarify: THIS is what I was trying to do:

Kathy's posts tend to reflect her good nature too well. She should have to be more antagonistic, but without a playful component.

Also, her replies are often abrupt.

sassandgroove
12-14-2006, 01:36 AM
---------
Sassandgroove - Gets to use at least two three- syllable words in every post. Every post should be longer than three sentences and avoid personal or emotion-marker language. Semi-colons are her friend. She gets to use two each day.--------
\
Mac, will you elaborate, please? What do you mean by "personal or emotion-marker language"? OTherwise, I am excited about this exercise. I have read the entire first thread and will now go and read through this one.

Oh. Would it be the part about me being excited?

robeiae
12-14-2006, 01:41 AM
You can be
excited. You just can't tell anyone.

Stew21
12-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Sass, perhaps if you avoid using phrases like "I feel" to start sentences. State things more factually from your experience. Avoid validating each of them with a "feel, think, to me," etc. You can feel the emotionally about the things you post. You just can't declare it.
Just my take on it.

sassandgroove
12-14-2006, 01:52 AM
This is certainly an interesting excercise. Mac was kind enough to let me join under the wire, since I was out sick yesterday. Often I miss the goings on around here becuase I tend to check my usercp and not new posts. SInce I am only online at work, I'll pop in HOL, and then get pulled away to write an invoice or place an order. Hence, not knowing about Jenna's wrath or realizing there was a royalty thread before someone declared me Queen.

Shadow_Ferret
12-14-2006, 01:54 AM
Sass gets to use semi-colons? Can I? To take the place of conjunctions?

Conjunction junction, what's your function?

Oops, forgot to change up the amount of words in my sentences by five each time.

My bad.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 01:56 AM
I never liked The Cure.

NeuroFizz
12-14-2006, 02:06 AM
Where do things like this get announced?

robeiae
12-14-2006, 02:10 AM
You can still play, Fizz. PM Mac. We just started today.

Nerofizz:

No big words.
No starting posts with "Hi So-and-so."
No saying Mrs. Fizzy or little Fizzy.
No refering to stupid grad students.

Celia Cyanide
12-14-2006, 02:32 AM

In TIO, of course.

rhymegirl
12-14-2006, 02:36 AM

Oh Fizzy...

www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48839

rhymegirl
12-14-2006, 02:38 AM
You can still play, Fizz. PM Mac. We just started today.

Nerofizz:

No big words.
No starting posts with "Hi So-and-so."
No saying Mrs. Fizzy or little Fizzy.
No refering to stupid grad students.

AND he should have to use smilies!!!! And exclamation marks!!!

Alan Yee
12-14-2006, 02:56 AM
Just to remind you all, this is mine:

Alan Yee - Can't use personal experience or anecdote to illustrate points--but can still reference books, blogs, papers, or articles. Gets to edit out at least half--preferably more--of his commas. That might mean dropping a BUNCH of those little off-hand conversational, like this for example, qualifying phrases. Can't start any sentences with "I."

The first one is probably a reference to my statements about my queer experience because I don't really talk all that much in TIO. The comma thing is right on. This is going to be difficult. Maybe I should just go find a bunch of articles in case I need them. ;)

dclary
12-14-2006, 02:59 AM
Just to remind you all, this is mine:

The first one is probably a reference to my statements about my queer experience because I don't really talk all that much in TIO. I do understand the thing about the commas. This is going to be difficult. Maybe I should just go find a bunch of articles in case I need them. ;)

Can't start any sentence with "I."

Birol
12-14-2006, 03:00 AM
::annoying buzzer noise:: Flag on play, Alan. I do believe there's a sentence beginning with 'I' in that post. That's a no-no for you. Also, just, like, so you know, we're supposed to put our personal rules in our sig lines.

Off you go to your CP. :)

ETA: The personal experience thing, Alan, that's not about TIO. Anyone can go back and look at any post you've made on the board, and that's something Mac would've done before making your rules.

Alan Yee
12-14-2006, 03:09 AM
That's a no-no for you. Also, just, like, so you know, we're supposed to put our personal rules in our sig lines.

Off you go to your CP. :)

Huh? It's already there.

Birol
12-14-2006, 03:10 AM
Ah, I didn't see it there when I last looked. Methinks you added it later and are playing with me.

Rolling Thunder
12-14-2006, 03:22 AM
You can be excited. You just can't tell anyone.

Three dings there, Rob. What word could you use in two dings to acheive the same effect?

dclary
12-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Three dings there, Rob. What word could you use in two dings to acheive the same effect?

Stoked. Pumped. Psyched.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 03:30 AM
It was a quote.

Pricks.

(look at it, now :tongue )

Rolling Thunder
12-14-2006, 03:37 AM
It was a quote.

Pricks.

(look at it, now :tongue )

Well, at least calling us pricks personalizes the response. :ROFL:

dahmnait
12-14-2006, 03:55 AM
I really hate to point this out, but Kevin, you seem to be having a hard time not posting multiple times. I counted three posts in a row here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44734&page=15) (scroll to the bottom).

dclary
12-14-2006, 04:29 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=984261&postcount=28

ROBEIEAE FLAGGED FOR MULTIPLE MULTI-SYLLABLE VIOLATIONS.

dahmnait
12-14-2006, 04:33 AM
I would have let the syllable count go on that post, however he also used a sentence with more than 10 words.

I recant my prior recant. The sentence stands as is.

maestrowork
12-14-2006, 05:03 AM
I still don't understand what I'm supposed to do; that is, I am not sure what imperative sentences are. The colon and semi-colon rule is going to be difficult for me: it's just not something I normally do. Not being able to write sentence fragments is also going to kill me.

I can deal with not flirting; that requires only slight discipline for me. The rest: I suppose if I am diligent enough, it will work. This will significantly reduce my post counts, I'm sure.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 05:04 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=984261&postcount=28

ROBEIEAE FLAGGED FOR MULTIPLE MULTI-SYLLABLE VIOLATIONS.A one-line post from Dave. That makes 8, today.

jdkiggins
12-14-2006, 05:07 AM
This is hard. Is anyone else avoiding posts because of altered style?
These rudimentary truths concerning my mode of expression hinder the very spirit of my everyday language. Iíll discard my easygoing and cheerful disposition--for Rob--however, my comments may be viewed as insensitive or callous to others. Body language may be the universal tongue but this bulletin board lacks the appropriate emoticon for my expression. Besides that, this is freaking hard and I have no inkling if Iím doing this properly. That is not self-deprecating; instead, itís the absolute truth. :e2smack:

robeiae
12-14-2006, 05:09 AM
...however, my comments may be viewed as insensitive or callous to others.Welcome to my world.

You should all be me for a week. That'll fix ya.

Birol
12-14-2006, 05:13 AM
Hey, to me it sounds like you're doing fine, Joanne. It's all about playing and realizing what we're doing with the words, so we're the ones controlling them instead of them controlling us.

(Man, this writing luxurious sentences is almost sinful. I've started and now I can't stop. :D )

dclary
12-14-2006, 05:15 AM
A one-line post from Dave. That makes 8, today.

If I understand what you're getting at, you're trying to say that I am (in fact) breaking the rules myself by pointing out your using the 3-syllable word "Miami" multiple times.

I ask only that you reread my rules, which state I can have up to 4 one-line throwaway posts. I take that to mean posts that do not add or otherwise contribute cogently to the existing conversation.

I clearly labeled the 4 posts I believe are throwaway as such. Of the other 4 one-line posts I've made today, like this one, I believe they are important, and do their job adequately even for their brevity. That disqualifies them as throwaway.

Thank you, though, for looking out on my behalf.

dclary
12-14-2006, 05:17 AM
I still don't understand what I'm supposed to do; that is, I am not sure what imperative sentences are. The colon and semi-colon rule is going to be difficult for me: it's just not something I normally do. Not being able to write sentence fragments is also going to kill me.

I can deal with not flirting; that requires only slight discipline for me. The rest: I suppose if I am diligent enough, it will work. This will significantly reduce my post counts, I'm sure.

I am in total agreement with your last statement, Maestro -- where you indicated that these rules will reduce your post count. I am certain I posted half as much as I did yesterday, and yet each post is monstrously larger, so I'm not sure it washes.

TIO/CE was like a graveyard today, until some of the non-players came online.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 05:18 AM
I ask only that you reread my rules, which state I can have up to 4 one-line throwaway posts. I take that to mean posts that do not add or otherwise contribute cogently to the existing conversation.

I clearly labeled the 4 posts I believe are throwaway as such. Of the other 4 one-line posts I've made today, like this one, I believe they are important, and do their job adequately even for their brevity. That disqualifies them as throwaway.Who made you a ref? It was a throw away post. You lose, hotpants.

Birol
12-14-2006, 05:19 AM
C'mon, guys, there's got to be an exception for proper names. I mean, if I had the two-syllable rule, then I'd have to take my last name out of my sig line this week.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 05:24 AM
TIMEOUT/

Seriously, Spork and I should be allowed to use proper names that are multi-syllable and to use direct quotes that are multi-syllable. Those things aren't choices of style, they're choices of subject matter. As it is, I can't even post "Iraqi" or "Israel." That's silly.

/TIMEOUT

dclary
12-14-2006, 05:25 AM
If I'm getting your subtle reference to my latent sexuality, I will retract my flag on Miami, if you will retract your flag on my flag.

rhymegirl
12-14-2006, 05:25 AM
Welcome to my world.

Rob, I believe in many ways I AM being you for the week, since I've been asked to do away with my normally short responses and to refrain from my good-natured replies, which I might add was your idea in the first place. And furthermore, since I'm supposed to play devil's advocate in my posts, I disagree with what I just said and I now think that no one would want to be you for a week because of the negative PMs and rep comments you must receive for your brutal honesty in some of those TIO threads concerning politics and religion, wouldn't you say, but of course you're only speaking your mind since this is, after all a free country.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 05:27 AM
What's a "rep comment"?

jdkiggins
12-14-2006, 05:34 AM
Welcome to my world.

I’m certain this exercise will fix whatever it is I am instructed to do. So, Rob was my first post acceptable? Come on, don’t just sit there and expect me to be you without giving proper acknowledgement.

ETA: I have not yet been officially flagged. In all fairness to other group players, I am returning to a few posts I compsed earlier, prior to my question to Mac, and I am placing additional sentences to conform to the required five-sentence structure.

Birol
12-14-2006, 05:34 AM
TIMEOUT/

Seriously, Spork and I should be allowed to use proper names that are multi-syllable and to use direct quotes that are multi-syllable. Those things aren't choices of style, they're choices of subject matter. As it is, I can't even post "Iraqi" or "Israel." That's silly.

/TIMEOUT

I got no problem with this, but Mac will have to give the final ruling. Has anyone seen her about?

dclary
12-14-2006, 05:37 AM
The sun only just set. She should be emerging from her crypt here shortly.

jdkiggins
12-14-2006, 05:37 AM
Hey, to me it sounds like you're doing fine, Joanne. It's all about playing and realizing what we're doing with the words, so we're the ones controlling them instead of them controlling us.
Thank you, Birol. I’m still searching threads to locate my use of slang and colloquialisms; I’m sure it will be an eye-opener when I find them. Would anyone care to show me an example? All I’m finding is newbie greetings and links to trade publications. ;)

ETA: Not under a flag, but felt obligated to fulfill my guidelines.

dclary
12-14-2006, 05:38 AM
Thank you, Birol. Iím still searching threads to locate my use of slang and colloquialisms; Iím sure it will be an eye-opener when I find them. Would anyone care to show me an example? All Iím finding is newbie greetings and links to trade publications. ;)

Isn't "eye-opener" slang?

robeiae
12-14-2006, 05:38 AM
The sun only just set. She should be emerging from her crypt here shortly.Nine.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 05:39 AM
Iím certain this exercise will fix whatever it is I am instructed to do. So, Rob was my first post acceptable? Come on, donít just sit there and expect me to be you without giving proper acknowledgement. You and Kathy have it rough, imo. You're doing swell.

jdkiggins
12-14-2006, 05:40 AM
Isn't "eye-opener" slang?
Are you asking me or telling me?

ETA: No flag, but fulfillment of my obligation. So, dclary I will point to the post below which expounds and clarifies my answer. I hope that my explanation of my use of eye-opener is satisfactory. I believe this is the last of the posts that require additions since my verification of my guidelines.

MacAllister
12-14-2006, 05:40 AM
Ah, yes. Proper names, countries, place names...I'd think that's all got special dispensation from the two-syllable rule.

And yes. I've emerged from the crypt.

Hungry.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 05:41 AM
Ah, yes. Proper names, countries, place names...I'd think that's all got special dispensation.And quotes.

dclary
12-14-2006, 05:47 AM
Are you asking me or telling me?

I am asking, because I think it is, but it's one of those in-betweeners.

jdkiggins
12-14-2006, 05:49 AM
You and Kathy have it rough, imo. You're doing swell.
Thank you, Rob. I agree. Those restricted from use of commas or dashes and other extraneous punctuation have it easy. This will be a learning experience, I'm sure.

Mac, does the minimum of five sentences per post in my instructions mean that I am limited to five or must contain five? Am I allowed to post one sentence posts?

Alan Yee
12-14-2006, 06:02 AM
Ah, yes. Proper names, countries, place names...I'd think that's all got special dispensation from the two-syllable rule.

And yes. I've emerged from the crypt.

I think We all could use a nice little break down in the crypt once in a while. Don't you agree?

(Commas are Bad. Starting sentences with "I" is Bad. Conversational qualifying phrases are bad. Using books, blogs, articles, and papers as references is Good.)

Wait. Can I use commas in lists?

Rolling Thunder
12-14-2006, 06:07 AM
I've emerged from the crypt.

If I were you I'd be back heading back inside, posthaste. :D

MacAllister
12-14-2006, 06:13 AM
Joanne, at least five sentences. No single-sentence posts. Like Trish, you're the queen of the one-sentence post.

However, ALL of you with a minimum sentence count have special dispensation when welcoming people; one sentence posts are legal in the Newbie Forum.

Celia Cyanide
12-14-2006, 06:15 AM
You only mentioned that to encourage posting in the newbie forum. Well played.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 06:15 AM
...special dispensation...You need that to carry the Spear, as well.

jdkiggins
12-14-2006, 06:19 AM
I am asking, because I think it is, but it's one of those in-betweeners.
You're asking the wrong person, honey. I concluded that it was a noun. If I knew, do you think they would have me eliminating colloquialisms? The flags and sirens haven’t sounded yet so it could be possible that I’m correct in my presumption. I'll wait for the flag patrol.

MacAllister
12-14-2006, 06:27 AM
Joanne, you're doing extremely well. Has anyone noticed yet that we're all sounding markedly less stilted that we did this morning?

Alan, I got my commas taken away from me, too. We shall commiserate together.

I've done similar exercises before, but even so I'd forgotten how very difficult it is to do without your favorite devices. This is difficult. It's an exercise that demands conscious control of your words. (GAHH! I want my DASH back!)

Birol
12-14-2006, 06:38 AM
Alan, asking people to write badly -- and not using commas in lists would be bad writing -- would be wrong, so I think if you're using commas in lists, it is fine. I only asked Mac to not use them in non-lists. I didn't even take away her beloved serial comma, since that is more of a house-style thing than a voice-style thingie, but did she notice she got to keep that... Noooo. She just said, "Lori, use more commas and no rhetorical questions... Bwhahahahahaha."

alleycat
12-14-2006, 06:45 AM
I think I'll just use smilies from now on . . .

lilyteague
12-14-2006, 06:49 AM
Ahhhh. LilyTeague messed up already. She keeps forgetting about words not allowed anymore. At least one colon and one explanation point didn't stunt her posting today. She must go to work, so she will consider this at a later date. Let us all hope these rules don't follow her into her work. Someone might think she fell and hit her head.

(This is my attempt to avoid "I" and all those pesky verb issues.)

jdkiggins
12-14-2006, 06:56 AM
Joanne, at least five sentences. No single-sentence posts. Like Trish, you're the queen of the one-sentence post.

However, ALL of you with a minimum sentence count have special dispensation when welcoming people; one sentence posts are legal in the Newbie Forum.
Thank you, Mac. I will be sure to greet the new people who bless these halls. However, labeling me with the honor of being the “queen of one-sentence post” places me in a very awkward position. I didn’t realize the length of my posts deteriorated to this level. Either I’m allowing a considerable amount of questionable comments to slip by me or someone hasn’t warranted one of my two-page sermons recently. Fortunately for me, my directions did not exclude emoticons. ;)

Edited to take out what Bottom said I couldn't say. ;)

BottomlessCup
12-14-2006, 07:38 AM
You're asking the wrong person, honey. I concluded that it was a noun. If I knew, do you think they would have me eliminating colloquialisms? The flags and sirens havenít sounded yet so it could be possible that Iím correct in my presumption. I'll wait for the flag patrol.

'Eye-opener' is certainly an idiom, but I wouldn't call it slang. The definition of colloquialism is a bit squishy. So it's a tough call. The examples given in Google's definition include 'hit the nail on the head' and 'show your grit.' Since its meaning can't be inferred from the literal definition of the words, I'm inclined to call it a colloquialism.

However! 'Newbie' is definitely a colloquialism.

Birol
12-14-2006, 08:19 AM

Ray didn't believe the above sounded casual, so I'm rewriting it in formal-speak to show the difference:

Kathy, I disagree. It's not our word choices that define us. Whether I post formally or casually, my opinions, beliefs, attitudes, and reactions are the same. My style does not define who I am.

BottomlessCup
12-14-2006, 08:26 AM
DrSpork,

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=984520&postcount=21

You have been flagged! It has way more than ten sentences. You don't sympathetically acknowledge the opposing viewpoint or whatever the rule is. You use compund sentences. You use multi-syllabic words.

Busted.

jdkiggins
12-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Joanne, you're doing extremely well. Has anyone noticed yet that we're all sounding markedly less stilted that we did this morning?
It's an exercise that demands conscious control of your words. (GAHH! I want my DASH back!)
Again, thank you, Mac. I wasn’t afforded the opportunity to begin this morning so my experiment is only a few hours old. I’ll disclose my feelings about this particular situation tomorrow.

You are correct in stating that this exercise demands conscious control of your words. It also demands a significant amount of time—which is something I don’t have—and may be the explanation for my posts degenerating to one-sentence statements. Having been frequently and continuously called away from the computer, I developed a pattern of posting less and in fewer words when care giving became my existence. Words eluded me and I thought I lost the ability to write in a structured form; I’d lost the desire to write. This exercise made me aware that I have allowed my life to control me. I haven’t lost my ability; I’m just too damn tired to concentrate. Thank you all for giving me the one thing I needed: encouragement.

:Hug2: To Mac for losing her dash and to the rest of you for your losses. For me, the benefits outweigh the losses. At weeks end you’ll all be weary from reading my few but lengthy posts.

dahmnait
12-14-2006, 02:39 PM
I have a few questions.

1) Can I still write in the poetry games? After all, not being able to use fragments will seriously impact haiku.

2)
For me, the benefits outweigh the losses. At weeks end you’ll all be weary from reading my few but lengthy posts. By saying that we will be weary from reading her posts, is Joanne using self-deprecating language? I see this as self-deprecating, but I am not sure if I am the only one who does.

3) For those that cannot start sentences with the word “I”, does this include dialog? I am specifically referencing dialog that is not part of a fictional (or non-fictional) piece. I’ll use Alan’s post (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=985008&postcount=104) as an example.

jst5150
12-14-2006, 05:30 PM
This is much easier than expect and a positive experience all around. In review many of my old posts, only a few were bulleted lists and the like.

Perhaps some sort of support group is needed for those of you jonesing to return to old form. We wouldn't want you to get the DTs for no reason.

v/r, jt

Birol
12-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Hey! That's not a real quote, but one he just kinda made up, plus there's a comma there that he could probably edit out. I'd think it could be flagged Dahmait, since it's not a story posted for crit or anything and not a real quote, something that a real person had said. ::singsong:: Al-an was trying to get around the ru-ules. Al-an was trying to get around the ru-ules.

Bravo
12-14-2006, 05:33 PM
DrSpork,

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=984520&postcount=21

You have been flagged! It has way more than ten sentences. You don't sympathetically acknowledge the opposing viewpoint or whatever the rule is. You use compund sentences. You use multi-syllabic words.

Busted.

I'd let that slide, BCup.

That wasn't too Sporky, seemed pretty pedestrian to me.

jdkiggins
12-14-2006, 06:30 PM
For me, the benefits outweigh the losses. At weeks end youíll all be weary from reading my few but lengthy posts.

2) By saying that we will be weary from reading her posts, is Joanne using self-deprecating language? I see this as self-deprecating, but I am not sure if I am the only one who does.

I disagree. I was not depreciating the value of my posts or myself. Iím quite proud that with a bit of encouragement Iíve conditioned myself to take more time and make lengthier comments. However, I will not apologize for being concerned for others. Others very well could become exhausted from reading or stressed from monitor glare because they are forced to read longer posts when they are accustomed to my one-sentence posts. Lengthy posts do not equate to drivel. However, if the group agrees that they do, I will concede and edit my comment.

jst5150
12-14-2006, 06:43 PM
"I disagree. I was not depreciating the value of my posts or myself. Iím quite proud that with a bit of encouragement Iíve conditioned myself to take more time and make lengthier comments. However, I will not apologize for being concerned for others. Others very well could become exhausted from reading or stressed from monitor glare because they are forced to read longer posts when they are accustomed to my one-sentence posts. Lengthy posts do not equate to drivel. However, if the group agrees that they do, I will concede and edit my comment."

Now, will you yield the floor to the Gentleman from Maryland?

MacAllister
12-14-2006, 07:24 PM
By the way, I see no reason this has to be a closed exercise. Those of you who missed the initial midnight deadline, or I missed adding you to the list (Zach) just post in this thread that you want to play, and we'll look at your post history and generate your guidelines.

Your week will just run a couple more days that the initial players' week.

(edited two dashes out of that.)

Stew21
12-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Mac, can you give us a list of the newer players? I would like to be sure I know all of the participants. I am finding this to be a wonderful exercise, and the best part is that I enjoy using bigger words than Rob does. I believe Sassandgroove signed up yesterday, and possibly NeuroFizz. Are there any other new additions we need to help provide rules for? Thank you.

jdkiggins
12-14-2006, 07:46 PM
"I disagree. I was not depreciating the value of my posts or myself. Iím quite proud that with a bit of encouragement Iíve conditioned myself to take more time and make lengthier comments. However, I will not apologize for being concerned for others. Others very well could become exhausted from reading or stressed from monitor glare because they are forced to read longer posts when they are accustomed to my one-sentence posts. Lengthy posts do not equate to drivel. However, if the group agrees that they do, I will concede and edit my comment."

Now, will you yield the floor to the Gentleman from Maryland?
I will be more than happy to yield the floor if you venture a real opinion. Would you take a clear stance about the conversation, please? Why is your signature line missing in your last post, Jason? Surely you havenít acknowledged defeat. Players are subject to display their directions. Please replace yours. ;)

MacAllister
12-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Sassandgroove signed up and has rules already.

We NEED rules for Rich (Neurofizz) and Zach (TrumanCoyote)

sassandgroove
12-14-2006, 07:54 PM
I have noticed two kinds of posts for Fizzy. Either lengthy posts of a serious nature or short fun/flirty posts. Of course, this is only my observation. I am not going to set out rules; I'll leave that to MAC.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 07:58 PM
I tossed up some rules for Neurofizz here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=984163&postcount=97).

I think he's just going with them.

sassandgroove
12-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Mac, why did you mandate that my posts should be longer than three sentences? Do I have mostly short posts? Becuase I do ramble on occasionally. Perhaps the short posts outweigh the long ones.

jst5150
12-14-2006, 08:03 PM
I removed the sig because it made the joke funnier without having to cloud up the post with another 150 words of fog. :-)

My opinion is this: those cooperating are trying too hard and are tip-toeing on eggshells to comply with the directive. :-) So, what's reflected as a result of this gentle stepping is false prose and scripted response. Clearly, they have to rethink what they would say in favor of what they should say. In that respect, it's not only a form of censorship and political correctness; a pedantic two-step. And in making my quip about it above to Jo (i.e., it is akin to listening to Congressmen on C-SPAN2 quibble over trifles), I tried to point that out. And that, by way of subtlety, was my opinion. :-) In short, what's sought or being evaluated is a keen behavioural change in the way we, as adults, communicate with one another within this forum. My sense is that 98 percent of those attached to this particular yoke will, when the clock strikes midnight, release a hearty "phew!" and go back to flirting, antagonzing and giggling as they did. Post counts will rise. Emoticons at Wal-Mart will run dry. The other 2 percent will join communes of the communication confused.

However, all that said, I'm still shoulder deep in it with everyone and enjoying the fact I haven't bulleted, listed or double dashed anything yet.

Here's to being in the 2 percent. Hugs! :-)

v/r, jt

rhymegirl
12-14-2006, 08:12 PM
And I, too, tossed out some ideas for rules for Neurofizz, suggesting that since he's not normally one to use smilies and exclamation points, in fact he seems to despise them, he ought to use them.

And, in point of fact, in the House of Love thread, if one were to go take a look over there, one would see that Fizzy's indeed started using smilies and exclamation points.

I'm running out of things to say here about what Fizzy should be doing, so I'll just stop talking for a while.

Except I might add that all these sentences are exhausting and I'm sure Joanne can understand what I'm talking about.

And now I"m going to go lie down because I really don't feel so well.

As an addendum to this post, since I don't feel like starting another one which will be equally exhausting, might I suggest that Zach's rules include no using bad words or the names of body parts, no flirting and he must use very simple language, perhaps even childlike language.

Medievalist
12-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Alan, asking people to write badly -- and not using commas in lists would be bad writing -- would be wrong, so I think if you're using commas in lists, it is fine. I only asked Mac to not use them in non-lists. I didn't even take away her beloved serial comma, since that is more of a house-style thing than a voice-style thingie, but did she notice she got to keep that... Noooo. She just said, "Lori, use more commas and no rhetorical questions... Bwhahahahahaha."

The serial comma is a natural right. Otherwise we would have lots more books "dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand and God."

And that's just . . . that's just frickin' wrong.

Scarlett_156
12-14-2006, 09:05 PM
[time out from contest]I don't know if this is included in the rules or not, but-- I can't do this if I'm commenting on someone's writing. That would be unfair to the person I'm commenting on, i.e., if I like it the rules compel me to find fault with it, and if I don't like it the rules state that I must act like I like it.

Has this been dealt with in the contest rules? I'm really busy with work and don't have enough time to try to find if this is restricted to certain forums or if it has to be across the board!

Thanks to whoever can clear this up for me. [reinstatement of contest rules]

And everyone have a nice fluffy bunny type of day! Merry *gulp* Christmas! (My god, what did I just say? *takes double shot of bourbon*)

robeiae
12-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Otherwise we would have lots more books "dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand and God."

And that's just . . . that's just frickin' wrong.Hmmm...looks just fine to me. Of course, it makes me jealous...

jdkiggins
12-14-2006, 09:10 PM
I removed the sig because it made the joke funnier without having to cloud up the post with another 150 words of fog. :-)

My opinion is this: those cooperating are trying too hard and are tip-toeing on eggshells to comply with the directive. :-) So, what's reflected as a result of this gentle stepping is false prose and scripted response. Clearly, they have to rethink what they would say in favor of what they should say. In that respect, it's not only a form of censorship and political correctness; a pedantic two-step. And in making my quip about it above to Jo (i.e., it is akin to listening to Congressmen on C-SPAN2 quibble over trifles), I tried to point that out. And that, by way of subtlety, was my opinion. :-) In short, what's sought or being evaluated is a keen behavioural change in the way we, as adults, communicate with one another within this forum. My sense is that 98 percent of those attached to this particular yoke will, when the clock strikes midnight, release a hearty "phew!" and go back to flirting, antagonzing and giggling as they did. Post counts will rise. Emoticons at Wal-Mart will run dry. The other 2 percent will join communes of the communication confused.

However, all that said, I'm still shoulder deep in it with everyone and enjoying the fact I haven't bulleted, listed or double dashed anything yet.

Here's to being in the 2 percent. Hugs! :-)

v/r, jt
I acknowledged your joke with or without the signature. Itís good to know that you will be a part of the percentage who continues this exercise after the allotted time.

In my own defense that Iím not relenting to scripted responses, prior to lifestyle changes, I was quite capable of commenting with what I thought were helpful posts. Evidence of that can be found in the posts listed below:

1. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=121620&postcount=2 (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=121620&postcount=2)
2. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=125109&postcount=10 (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=125109&postcount=10)
3. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=125109&postcount=10 (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=125109&postcount=10)

Quibbling over trifles was not my intent. I have admitted that I had responded more freely and with knowledge from experience when I had more time. However, that time is limited now, and I am truly grateful for this exercise because it has forced me to take control of the time I am allotted. I willóeven when the exercise is terminatedócontinue to find time to post in the fashion in which I was accustomed in the evidentiary posts. Not responding to comments or jokes directed toward me IMO would be rude.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 09:14 PM

You're killin me, Jo! Just killin me!

Really, you're flawless.

Celia Cyanide
12-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Zach (TrumanCoyote)

Zach's posts should be more serious in tone. He should avoid using wacky slang, and references to body parts, as Kathy described.

He also has a charming habit of addressing people as "hon," or making up cute nicknames. He cannot do this when adressing fellow members, or discussing other people.

He has a very conversational tone, which should be avoided.

May I be allowed to take issue with one of my rules? I am having a devil of a time stretching my posts out to 5 sentences. When I ask a question, it only takes one sentence to do so. I run the risk of explaining why I am asking the question and thus relating person experience if/when I type more sentences in the same post. Could anyone give me some helpful advice?

Stew21
12-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Celia, when I run out of things to say I type the same thing again in different words. I ask rhetorical questions, and include a sentence that is off topic entirely. NO one said it had to make sense. I would wink here if I could, but I cannot. See? Just like that. Seven sentences.

robeiae
12-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Could anyone give me some helpful advice?I once knew someone that had such a problem. Ask the question in five unique ways.

Then others will only think you loopy (er). :D

robeiae
12-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Celia, when I run out of things to say I type the same thing again in different words. I ask rhetorical questions, and include a sentence that is off topic entirely. NO one said it had to make sense. I would wink here if I could, but I cannot. See? Just like that. Seven sentences.Yep. You'll be just like Trish.

dahmnait
12-14-2006, 09:29 PM
However, I will not apologize for being concerned for others. Others very well could become exhausted from reading or stressed from monitor glare because they are forced to read longer posts when they are accustomed to my one-sentence posts. This is simply priceless. I suppose I should have said that the comment was a borderline self-deprecating remark. However, since your concern is for the welfare of others, I may have to concede on this particular post.

Lengthy posts do not equate to drivel. Since I have never read any drivel from you, even in your longer posts, I have to agree.

dahmnait
12-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Celia, when I run out of things to say I type the same thing again in different words. I ask rhetorical questions, and include a sentence that is off topic entirely. NO one said it had to make sense. I would wink here if I could, but I cannot. See? Just like that. Seven sentences.Ah, but you have to read Celia's requirements carefully. She has an added caveat that you do not have.

Celia - gets to formalize her language, raise the level of diction, depersonalize the communication. No more than one subordinate clause a day. No fewer than five related sentences per post.Given that all her sentences have to be related, she is unable to write off-topic sentences to fulfill her requirement.

Stew21
12-14-2006, 09:51 PM
You are correct, Tammy. I see exactly what you mean. I failed to realize she had the additional guideline. However, she can still repeat herself. For example, she can say the same thing three different ways, if she chooses.

jdkiggins
12-14-2006, 09:56 PM

You're killin me, Jo! Just killin me!

Really, you're flawless.
Rob, is that an attempt to draw out my self-deprecating remarks? Sorry, the ploy didnít work. ;)

In regard to your first statement, I would appreciate an explanation. What part of my transmission is killing you? You see, I did express concern earlier about how my responses may affect the group. Though my concern was that the group might become exhausted or stressed, I certainly didnít consider that my comments would cause death.

Please, everyone huddled around Rob. Save him from his demise. :roll:

MacAllister
12-14-2006, 10:47 PM
I've updated the rules to include Rich and Zach. :) You might mention it to them, should you see them.

alleycat
12-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Can I have, like, one rule?

Besides, "shut up".

Maybe something simple, like, "Don't threaten to eat Anne's parrot."

MacAllister
12-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Alleycat wishes to join the game. Would the other participants please provide some guidelines, based on a post review?

sassandgroove
12-14-2006, 10:57 PM
NO one liners. ETA: I violated my own rules. I need at least one more sentence and one more three syllable word. I assume Alleycat does not count as it is a proper name. Oh, I used syllable. That has three...syllables.

Birol
12-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey, Mac, after checking out a sampling of Alleycat's posts, he doesn't like big words. He goes for short words and short sentences. He tries to hide the short sentences sometimes by joining them together with conjunctions and semi-colons. He'll go for an interjection sometimes, but he doesn't use subordinate clauses -- all of his clauses are independent ones.

Also, your call for a quick review of Alleycat's posts seems a bit informal to me. Think you could tighten that up a bit? ;)

sassandgroove
12-14-2006, 11:02 PM
I call a flag on Trish.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=985980&postcount=29491

To me that reads as flirting. Subtle, yes, but the best flirting is implied and inferred, not blatant. She is implying that there is more to come; more to be expected. Clearly, that is flirtatious.

Stew21
12-14-2006, 11:15 PM
I challenge the flagged play, Sass. My reason is that I dislike it very much when he calls me tater. In fact, he did not do that to entice me into flirting at all. he did it because it is irritating. How quickly you forget what it looks like when I actually do flirt. That was definitely not a flirt. I believe you are assuming the guideline I was attempting to avoid was "no flirting", when in fact it was "no emotive language" and "no exclamation points".

rhymegirl
12-14-2006, 11:18 PM
TIME OUT FOR RESPONSE/

Alleycat should not be able to say anything negative about rabbits, like putting them in a stew. And for that matter, maybe he should have to profess his great love of keeping rabbits alive./

TIME IN

alleycat
12-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey, Mac, after checking out a sampling of Alleycat's posts, he doesn't like big words.
Hell, I don't even like small words.

alleycat
12-14-2006, 11:20 PM
TIME OUT FOR RESPONSE/

Alleycat should not be able to say anything negative about rabbits, like putting them in a stew. And for that matter, maybe he should have to profess his great love of keeping rabbits alive./

TIME IN
I think that's splitting hares . . .

MacAllister
12-14-2006, 11:35 PM
New Players:

GoodWord - Gets to make only multi-sentence posts, with complex sentences, no endearments or idiom, and no emoticons. At least once a day. (ends at midnight, Dec 21)

AlleyCat - Gets to go cold-turkey off emoticons. Cannot use one-line posts. Must use at least one three-syllable word in every post. (ends at midnight, Dec 21)

Sassandgroove - Gets to use at least two three- syllable words in every post. Every post should be longer than three sentences and avoid personal or emotion-marker language. Semi-colons are her friend. She gets to use two each day. (to end at midnight, Dec 20.)

TrumanCoyote -
Zach's posts should be more serious in tone. He should avoid using wacky slang, and references to body parts, as Kathy described. He also has a charming habit of addressing people as "hon," or making up cute nicknames. He cannot do this when adressing fellow members, or discussing other people. His diction should be more formal, he should use complete sentences, and no emoticons (to end at midnight, Dec 21.)

Neurofizz - Gets to use emoticons and exclamation points in every post. Gets to make posts always longer than a single sentence. Gets to use simple sentences--no compound/complex sentences. Cannot use personal anecdotes, and can't flirt. (to end at midnight, Dec 21.)

alleycat
12-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Thank you, MacAllister.

I shall strive my uppermost to fulfill my obligation under the general understanding of this thread.

Until I post again, I will bid you all a good day. For now, I have to go eat my rabbit stew.

sassandgroove
12-14-2006, 11:44 PM
I challenge the flagged play, Sass. My reason is that I dislike it very much when he calls me tater. In fact, he did not do that to entice me into flirting at all. he did it because it is irritating. How quickly you forget what it looks like when I actually do flirt. That was definitely not a flirt. I believe you are assuming the guideline I was attempting to avoid was "no flirting", when in fact it was "no emotive language" and "no exclamation points".

That may be the case, but saying "You should check your RP's soon." implies either a flirt or emotion. I stand by my flag.

I am aware of your frustration. I like to look at as I did my assignment to write a sonnet in school. Rather than seeing the format as confining, look at it as a fun challenge. How can I say what I want to say in this format? This excercise is to make us aware of our habits and to challenge us into a wider range on communication.

ETA: Much like I can be excited I just say I am, I would say you can give rep points, just don't say you are going to.

Of course Mac is the judge. That is just how I see it.

Birol
12-14-2006, 11:44 PM
C'mon, Mac. Get with the game and stop playing with the flags (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=986302&postcount=773).

Medievalist
12-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Where does the idea of flags come from? Is that a sports reference?

I'm totally serious asking this.

Birol
12-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Yeah. It's sports. American football refs drop flags on the field when they see something wrong happen. Other sports, with field-based play, probably do, too.

Stew21
12-14-2006, 11:51 PM
That may be the case, but saying "You should check your RP's soon." implies either a flirt or emotion. I stand by my flag.

I am aware of your frustration. I like to look at as I did my assignment to write a sonnet in school. Rather than seeing the format as confining, look at it as a fun challenge. How can I say what I want to say in this format? This excercise is to make us aware of our habits and to challenge us into a wider range on communication.

ETA: Much like I can be excited I just say I am, I would say you can give rep points, just don't say you are going to.

If it is as simple as deleting, "Check your rp's" then fine. I still say it is not a flirt. It is a request; a direction. That is my opinion. You flagged it for being flirtatious and even on grounds of being emotive, I would disagree. Regarding a wider range of communication, are you saying you have not noticed a drastic difference in my posts? Have I not been communicating quite differently than normal? I believe I have.

eta: hey, Sass, check your rp's. Seriously. You have one. In my request for you to look at your rp's do you feel flirted with? I did send you a rep though. And I would smile at you if I could.

sassandgroove
12-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Yes Medievalist, flags on a play is a sports reference. I am most familiar with the NFL, where the refs throw a flag to indicate that they have spotted a violation of the rules. Then, once the play is stopped, they announce what they are calling and the penalty. Coaches can also throw a flag to challenge a call.

Celia Cyanide
12-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Ah, but you have to read Celia's requirements carefully. She has an added caveat that you do not have.
Given that all her sentences have to be related, she is unable to write off-topic sentences to fulfill her requirement.

Why on earth do I have this caveat? Do I say random things? Do I say things that are unrelated to the topic at hand? I can't imagine why I have this caveat. Can someone explain this to me?

dclary
12-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Where does the idea of flags come from? Is that a sports reference?

I'm totally serious asking this.

Yes. In American Football, when a referee spots an infraction, they throw a yellow flag in the direction of where the foul occured (it's similar to European football's yellow card).

Stew21
12-14-2006, 11:59 PM
You handled that post and the question very well, Celia. I am not sure why you have that caveat. I am grateful that I do not. At least you are now using the capability of repeating yourself. Well done.

sassandgroove
12-15-2006, 12:06 AM
If it is as simple as deleting, "Check your rp's" then fine. I still say it is not a flirt. It is a request; a direction. That is my opinion. You flagged it for being flirtatious and even on grounds of being emotive, I would disagree. Regarding a wider range of communication, are you saying you have not noticed a drastic difference in my posts? Have I not been communicating quite differently than normal? I believe I have.

eta: hey, Sass, check your rp's. Seriously. You have one. In my request for you to look at your rp's do you feel flirted with? I did send you a rep though. And I would smile at you if I could.
BAH! I typed a response and it didn't post and it is lost.

First, given your history with Rob, you can see how I could misread the post. Nevermind the fact that you said that is how you would have to flirt when you recieved the rules.

Your posts are longer, yes. It appears to me that you are mostly complaining about how constrictive your rules are rather than posting comments in a new style. I have mostly encountered your posts in HOL and here since you received your new rules, so it could be that you are coming to these threads to complain. Let the rules set you free. Be adventourous. That's my two cents. Please take it in the way I mean it.

No, I don't feel flirted with because you told me to check my reps, but I am not Rob and you and I don't have a history of flirting around.

awatkins
12-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Can I have, like, one rule?

Besides, "shut up".

Maybe something simple, like, "Don't threaten to eat Anne's parrot."

That goes without saying. My parrots are the Cooler's battlebirds and we might need them someday. You'll thank me later. :D

(Am I allowed an emoticon? 'Cause I'm not officially playing, ya know. But I am really enjoying all the mind-stretching going on!)

robeiae
12-15-2006, 12:13 AM
No.

No quitsies, no take-backs.

MidnightMuse
12-15-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm not playing, but I'd like to just say: This is SO cool. Better than anything on TV.
:D

MacAllister
12-15-2006, 12:35 AM
KTC, if it's any consolation at all to you, I've been forced to remove approximately twelve thousand dashes since the Game began. And two hundred thousand commas. And I'm still getting flagged.

Good Word
12-15-2006, 12:39 AM
I don't know what to say.

May I recite the phone book? It would be rather like filibustering, and a new experience for me.

I am awash with sweat, and it's all mine.

ETA: Perhaps I'll use words that are all bread and flowers, perhaps more substantial like roast beef. I just don't know. Perhaps I'll discuss other things--like apples, or roses, or the moon.

I'm just working on the multi-sentence post here. Perhaps a greater level of meaningfulness will emerge later.

jdkiggins
12-15-2006, 01:02 AM
This is simply priceless. I suppose I should have said that the comment was a borderline self-deprecating remark. However, since your concern is for the welfare of others, I may have to concede on this particular post.

Since I have never read any drivel from you, even in your longer posts, I have to agree.
Thank you, Tammy. Your willingness to concede saves me from searching the thread to edit the questionable remark. Iím pleased that we are in agreement. As you can see from Robís post, the affect my comments may have on this group was not an unfounded concern. Note that he is suffering a bit of jealousy as well, so I can feel confident that I am not alone in causing him discomfort or irritation. :)

Jason, Iím disappointed that you deleted your comment. I wish I had copied it prior to deletion. It was written well and established very unique points to the conversation.

BottomlessCup
12-15-2006, 01:09 AM
Regarding 'flagged', I thought it was kind of an amalgamation of "flag on the play" from sports and a common usage of the word that's similar to 'marked.' If you google 'flagged', you'll get lots of examples of the latter. "Flagged as funny", "flagged for consideration", etc. FWIW, I don't often hear football commentators using flag as a verb. Generally, it's "threw a flag" or "there's a flag on the play."

Or not!

dclary
12-15-2006, 01:10 AM
KTC, if it's any consolation at all to you, I've been forced to remove approximately twelve thousand dashes since the Game began. And two hundred thousand commas. And I'm still getting flagged.

And that was in just 18 posts.

This has been throwaway post #4 of 4. Thursday, 12/14.

dclary
12-15-2006, 01:33 AM
I need a ruling for Bravo's rules. I caught him on btw, which he's admitted was a flub, and I'm sure he'll fix.

But I also noticed he used LOL... and to me, LOL ought to be an established, ok word in the vernacular -- because no one's ever going to say or type "Laughing out loud."

No one says Situation normal, all fucked up, or Self-contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus. I submit Bravo should be allowed to use LOL despite his rule on not allowing txt spk.

Birol
12-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Yeah, but acronyms normally take on a pronunciation of their own, as real words. In your head, how do you say, LOL as a word? I hear 'laughing out loud' in my mental ear when I read it. FREX: I read S-C-U-B-A or S-N-A-F-U as scuba or snafu, in other words, as words.

Is Bravo allowed to use emoticons? There's lots of different emoticons for laughing in the AW list.

MacAllister
12-15-2006, 01:43 AM
Bravo is still allowed emoticons. I'm inclined to allow "LOL" and to disallow "btw."

dclary
12-15-2006, 01:45 AM
I actually SAY "lowell" out loud in daily conversation, Birol, and I think more people will. So your point is only valid for another year or so.

Birol
12-15-2006, 01:47 AM
I actually SAY "lowell" out loud in daily conversation, Birol, and I think more people will. So your point is only valid for another year or so.

Liar. I successfully disbelieve.

I'd make a more impassioned argument, but that's, oh so hard, when you're forced, forced I say, to luxuriate in your sentences and type ever-so casually so I won't, argue that is, with either you or Mac.

sassandgroove
12-15-2006, 01:47 AM
Mac, why did you mandate that my posts should be longer than three sentences? Do I have mostly short posts? Becuase I do ramble on occasionally. Perhaps the short posts outweigh the long ones.

Just bumping up my question. Bringing it to the forefront. I am more curious than anything else. I was going to say my rules seem easier than some of the others, but I have found myself hesitant to post at times, since it entails such forethought.

Birol
12-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Uh. Do you guys realize that with this here exercise hung in CE, no one with less than 50 posts can join in the fun?

MacAllister
12-15-2006, 01:59 AM
Sassandgroove, indeed you have many one-line posts. Moreover, with the addition of the three-syllable words requirement, I thought it wise to preemptively derail any inclination you might inadvertently feel to meet the bare minimum required of every post.

sassandgroove
12-15-2006, 02:07 AM
Sassandgroove, indeed you have many one-line posts. Moreover, with the addition of the three-syllable words requirement, I thought it wise to preemptively derail any inclination you might inadvertently feel to meet the bare minimum required of every post.

You can call me Sass, or sassypants, since writerterri started it. (or even Jennifer. Funny, a lot of HOLers know I am Jennifer and call me Sass, while they call Stew21 Trish and Rhymegirl Kathy.) I am not quite sure how I came up with Sassandgroove. I am stuck with it now.

I wasn't aware that I had that many one liners. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. You are wise in requiring the three-syllable words. That has caused me to write more in an effort to fit them in. I have caught my self more than once with a one liner, either about to post or having to go back and immediatley edit. My habits are hard to break. But look, you've made me downright chatty.

Birol
12-15-2006, 02:11 AM
Hey, Sass, thanks for posting that. Makes me feel better about how I'm getting around some of my changes. I'm not doing this all the time, you understand, but in rough spots, I'm typing out the post the way I would pre-evil writing exercise, then rewriting to cover the same points, but in that less formal style Mac was going on about in my personal guidelines. The vocab is the hardest.

rhymegirl
12-15-2006, 02:11 AM
Until I post again, I will bid you all a good day. For now, I have to go eat my rabbit stew.

Alleycat, now you have gone and done it, and I do believe it's time I said what I have to say about your blatant remark about rabbit stew.

Your insensitivity to rabbit lovers here and everywhere is appalling and will probably lead to your name being added to Santa's naughty list.

It's unfortunate that your exercise guidelines do not prohibit you from making reference to slaughtering innocent rabbits and featuring them as the main course in a stew.

You're probably gloating right now as you sip the broth and chew your rabbit meat, knowing full well that tears are being shed by those who love rabbits and strive to protect them from hunters like you and Elmer Fudd.

There is nothing more to say, (yet I will find a few more words since I'm on sentence number five), except perhaps some day you will look into the eyes of some innocent-looking, furry little, floppy-eared rabbit and realize what you've done in the past and from then on pledge to love and respect rabbits, God's creatures.

sassandgroove
12-15-2006, 02:25 AM
Hey, Sass, thanks for posting that. Makes me feel better about how I'm getting around some of my changes. I'm not doing this all the time, you understand, but in rough spots, I'm typing out the post the way I would pre-evil writing exercise, then rewriting to cover the same points, but in that less formal style Mac was going on about in my personal guidelines. The vocab is the hardest.

I would say your guidelines are more subtle than some. I can see how yours are challenging. What one might call formal another would call informal; it is so subjective. Hang in there.

Birol
12-15-2006, 02:42 AM
Yeah, but I know what Mac was talking about. (I formal-style: Yes, but I understood MacAllister's meaning.)

Thanks for the sympathy, Sass.

PeeDee
12-15-2006, 02:53 AM
dahmnait told me that this contest had been opened to additional players. I wanna play! What do I gots to do?

Scarlett_156
12-15-2006, 02:56 AM
[time out from contest]I don't know if this is included in the rules or not, but-- I can't do this if I'm commenting on someone's writing. That would be unfair to the person I'm commenting on, i.e., if I like it the rules compel me to find fault with it, and if I don't like it the rules state that I must act like I like it.

Has this been dealt with in the contest rules? I'm really busy with work and don't have enough time to try to find if this is restricted to certain forums or if it has to be across the board!

Still waiting for an answer on this. May we fall out of character to reply to posts asking for feedback on writing...?

robeiae
12-15-2006, 02:57 AM
Uh. Do you guys realize that with this here exercise hung in CE, no one with less than 50 posts can join in the fun?Point?

Birol
12-15-2006, 03:03 AM
Hey, Rob, go check out the main TIO board. *smirk*

dclary
12-15-2006, 03:09 AM
I think PeeDee should have the following rules:

No references to lumberjacks or stretchy pants. No flirting. Posts must be at least 5 sentences long.

Birol
12-15-2006, 03:09 AM
PeeDee's a tuff one to analyze. I'd say two of his crutches are sentence fragments and ellipses. His posting style -- talking about rhythm here, Mac, and use of varied sentence lengths and punctuation for emphasis -- is similar to my fiction writing style, like in the rough draft of Tomorrow.

Medievalist
12-15-2006, 03:11 AM
The vocab is the hardest.

That's the hardest for me. Not so much slang . . . I know from slang. Too much slang. But not using the word that really fits, the one that has all the connotations I want, that freaks me.

Birol
12-15-2006, 03:14 AM
dahmnait told me that this contest had been opened to additional players. I wanna play! What do I gots to do?

And to sorta answer your question, you've got to let the other players analyze your posting style, then, after everyone's picked apart how you write, Mac makes up a set of guidelines that you have to follow whenever you post for the next week. You put those guidelines in your sig line, so everyone knows what you're supposed to be doing or not allowed to do, then you follow them. For a week. A whole week. If you fail, we flag your post in this thread and you've got to go back and rewrite the post.

Birol
12-15-2006, 03:16 AM
That's the hardest for me. Not so much slang . . . I know from slang. Too much slang. But not using the word that really fits, the one that has all the connotations I want. That's teh suck.

Yeah. It really, really does. The perfect, prettiest word is out there, and you know what it is, but if you use it, some obnoxious twit comes here and starts yelling, "flag on the play, flag on the play" and posts a link so everyone can razz you about it.

PeeDee
12-15-2006, 03:24 AM
And to sorta answer your question, you've got to let the other players analyze your posting style, then, after everyone's picked apart how you write, Mac makes up a set of guidelines that you have to follow whenever you post for the next week. You put those guidelines in your sig line, so everyone knows what you're supposed to be doing or not allowed to do, then you follow them. For a week. A whole week. If you fail, we flag your post in this thread and you've got to go back and rewrite the post.

Cool beyond belief, although I do want to know about the earlier question, regarding answers to writing related questions. I don't think I'd answer SYW or very serious questions in an eccentric format. I don't want to scare people.

Otherwise, I love this idea.

Jean Marie
12-15-2006, 04:50 AM
That's the hardest for me. Not so much slang . . . I know from slang. Too much slang. But not using the word that really fits, the one that has all the connotations I want, that freaks me.
Uh, you forgot to finish the sentence, Medievelist::::BUZZER::::

Supposed to be: that freaks me out. Without out, it doesn't have the same, you know, zing. On the whole, you're doing way cool, though :D

Medievalist
12-15-2006, 05:07 AM
Uh, you forgot to finish the sentence, Medievelist::::BUZZER::::

Supposed to be: that freaks me out. Without out, it doesn't have the same, you know, zing. On the whole, you're doing way cool, though :D

That's just a generation gap ;)

My students don't say "freaked me out."

Freak has become a bunch of stuff. The guys will say "my girl friend freaked me, totally effin freaked me, last night" and that's a good thing. At least for the guy. The women don't seem to use freak the same way.

Birol
12-15-2006, 05:10 AM
Uh, JM, there's nothing in her rules about having to finish sentences, or having to end something with a preposition. She's just supposed to be more relaxed and easy-going.

And, um, if you're gonna be casting flags about, I'll let your first sentence go, 'cause the buzzer could be counted with it or not, but the second sentence, no matter how many times I count that, it's only seven words.

jdkiggins
12-15-2006, 05:46 AM
***FLAG*** on this post (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=985611&postcount=315) for Jean Marie.

You might want to add a few words to the second sentence. The third could use an extra word as well. The first sentence of the last paragraph seems to be lacking the required word length. In the same paragraph, the last sentence needs additional wording. Four sentences failed to meet the minimum of eight words per sentence rule.

Scarlett_156
12-15-2006, 06:10 AM
Quote:

Still waiting for an answer on this. May we fall out of character to reply to posts asking for feedback on writing...?

????

lilyteague
12-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Failing miserably at this is where I stand. However, I am simply letting my errors stand; if I don't think of repairing it then, I don't take the time to go back and edit it. My time shouldn't be here anyway -- I didn't go to bed until after three this morning. And my little girl is an early riser! Oh well, I am trying.

jdkiggins
12-15-2006, 06:32 AM

Scarlett, I have a suggestion. According to your guidelines, you are only required to play devilís advocate twice a day. You do respond in other areas of the board besides SYW, correct? If so, you can limit that feature of your guidelines to those fora. When critiquing you should consider the other rules of engagement and offer a summation of a personís work. You might inform the individual that you are participating in a writing exercise and refer them to your signature. Birol or Mac may suggest other solutions when they return.

MacAllister
12-15-2006, 07:05 AM
Joanne's precisely right. And Pete, you shouldn't be constained in SYW offering critique to the souls brave enough to show their writing.

So there's immunity in SYW specifically for crit, and in Newbie specifically for welcoming.

jdkiggins
12-15-2006, 07:10 AM
**FLAG** on Kathyís two posts below.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=986822&postcount=21 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=986822&postcount=21)
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=987293&postcount=9 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=987293&postcount=9)

If I understand her rules of engagement, Kathy is required to use five sentences per post. The first post has only two sentences. So three sentences are still required. One-sentence does not fit the qualifications of your rules in the second post mentioned. And that sentence lacks a contraction. Sorry, Kathy. Youíve been doing exceptionally well with this exercise.

PeeDee
12-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Joanne's precisely right. And Pete, you shouldn't be constained in SYW offering critique to the souls brave enough to show their writing.

So there's immunity in SYW specifically for crit, and in Newbie specifically for welcoming.

Cool. Then I await my limitations. :D

MacAllister
12-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Dr. Spork has stumbled (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=987161&postcount=14).

I did warn everyone this was harder than it seems. Those of you managing not only to adhere to your guidelines but to subvert them to your real voice (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=986766&postcount=218) (and there are many of you) have my admiration.

MacAllister
12-15-2006, 07:33 AM
PeeDee - Gets to make posts of at least five related sentences. Those should be a mixture of compound/complex and simple sentences. He doesn't get to use emoticons or idiom. He should use at least two three syllable words per post. He doesn't get to use any ellipses. Not even ellipses with four or five periods.....(Ends midnight, Dec 21)

PeeDee
12-15-2006, 07:39 AM
The best possible way imaginable to beat this contest would of course be to have myself banned. Then I would stay away for one week and then return with my victory assured and incontrovertible. Then again, being banned in order to beat a contest such as this would be voluntarily cheating which I am not in favor of. Therefore I shall not ban, I shall remain and shall do my best to write as per the instructions given to me. It's harder than it seems.

TemlynWriting
12-15-2006, 07:40 AM
Will you guys be doing another round of this at some point? It looks like fun, but I haven't been posting very much lately (though I'm trying to get back into doing so!), so I'm not sure of the accuracy of my writing style in recent posts.

MacAllister
12-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Temlyn, it's ongoing. You can drop in anytime, if you'll agree to persist for one week. There's a reason to take that much time: to really form relationships with new writerly tools requires enough time to become comfortable and familiar with those tools.

It also takes time to learn to look directly at our own text; we must look at the black marks on the page, and the mechanics of how they function, rather than looking through that text to the meaning behind it.

Rolling Thunder
12-15-2006, 07:45 AM
The best possible way imaginable to beat this contest would of course be to have myself banned. Then I would stay away for one week and then return with my victory assured and incontrovertible. Then again, being banned in order to beat a contest such as this would be voluntarily cheating which I am not in favor of. Therefore I shall not ban, I shall remain and shall do my best to write as per the instructions given to me. It's harder than it seems.

When Spooky makes only two posts in one day (both flag worthy) you know it's tough.

Those who chose to participate are admirable. Crazy, but admirable.:)

MacAllister
12-15-2006, 07:50 AM
PeeDee--Bartholomew originally signed up, then asked to be self-banned to finish some work he was committed to do. I deleted him from the game.

Fortunately, there's not a winner or loser. It's all about forging new tools in our repertoire as writers. That takes time and diligence, but increases our skill and control. The relationship between thought and words and the resulting frustration when we cannot simply rely on old favorites teaches something remarkable about tone and control.

PeeDee
12-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Fortunately, there's not a winner or loser. It's all about forging new tools in our repertoire as writers. That takes time and diligence, but increases our skill and control. The relationship between thought and words and the resulting frustration when we cannot simply rely on old favorites teaches something remarkable about tone and control.

Apart from the fact that it's just sheer fun, that's what caught my attention with this game. I like the thought of something which takes my normal habits and tells me I can't use them. Especially on a writing forum, or any sort of informal setting, it's easy to get caught into habits. Maybe it'll change how I write later on. I like change.

jdkiggins
12-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Mac, after perusing several of Temlynís post, Iíve found that she posts a considerable number of one-liners and expands to three-sentence posts occasionally. She uses a lot of parenthetical elements within her sentences. And exclamation marks at the ends. Hope you join in, Julia. Itís an exhilarating experience.

Birol
12-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Pssst. Over here, gang. I think we should all torment and tease Silver King (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=987385&postcount=9)until he joins in our little contest o'wills and agrees to join us all.