How do agents submit our work?

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious.

Do they query publishers by telephone, mail or email? Do they submit synopses? Do they submit full manuscripts?

On another thread the cost of copying and postage is addressed, so I'd like to know the methods agents use.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
My agent told me she did pitches over lunch and sent my requested fulls by email. They came with a submission "package." The editors that were interested in bidding, scheduled phone interviews with me through my agent. Enough editors were interested so there was an auction.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
ORION said:
My agent told me she did pitches over lunch and sent my requested fulls by email. They came with a submission "package." The editors that were interested in bidding, scheduled phone interviews with me through my agent. Enough editors were interested so there was an auction.

That sounds SO exciting, Orion! What did they want to know in the phone interviews? Or rather, was it you interviewing them, so that you could make a choice?

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I thought it would be telephone calls or lunches, so I'm glad you confirmed.

Begbie

Quite a character
Registered
Reaction score
My agent calls, then sends a full. Then we wait for the rejection, I mean, um, response.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Thanks Triceretops. I think it makes sense for a new agent to do that. How else can agents make contacts. I hope yours left a good impression.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
aruna-
They wanted to tell me how much they loved my book and what their publishing house could do for me. Then during the auction it made making a choice easier. I absolutely love the editor I ended up with - we have the same vision for the book.
My agent made it clear that the interview was for them to woo me not the other way around so to not be nervous -
My agent is very experienced so she had editors contacting her that were interested in being added to the submission list. My book sold in a week.
I promise I will let you know when the deal is listed...

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
ORION said:
aruna-
They wanted to tell me how much they loved my book and what their publishing house could do for me. Then during the auction it made making a choice easier. I absolutely love the editor I ended up with - we have the same vision for the book.

It's what we all dream of, isn't it! And sometimes those dreams come true. I love hearing these stories so do keep me (all of us!) updated.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Wow! Congratulations Orion.

Finally, I 'know' someone who had a book auctioned. Aruna is right, it's something we dream of.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
ORION said:
aruna-
My agent is very experienced so she had editors contacting her that were interested in being added to the submission list. My book sold in a week.
I promise I will let you know when the deal is listed...

Just to get this straight - it means you didn't automatically go for the highest bidder, right?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Exactly. You don't have to choose the highest bidder. It's not all about money (check out my blog re: some insight about this). I had talked to all the editors and had a feeling who all "got" my book. When the bids came in many of the terms were different. But ultimately at the end of the auction the highest bidder was also the editor that I wanted to work with. Now the more we talk I am REALLY glad I went with my gut instincts.
Do you have my email Aruna?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
ORION said:
Exactly. You don't have to choose the highest bidder. It's not all about money (check out my blog re: some insight about this).

Yes, that World Rights thing is important. I was able to sell my foreign rights seperately with my first novels; that story is on my blog as well.