PDA

View Full Version : What happened to all the "God" threads?

Celia Cyanide
12-11-2006, 09:03 PM
This forum used to be about religion and politics, and now that the political forum has splintered off, it's nothing but politics, day and night. What happened to all the Christian/God/Jesus/creationism threads?

Stew21
12-11-2006, 09:07 PM
last time some one asked that question, (Jean Marie, I believe was the culprit), Haskins bumped up about 10 religion threads.

Just so you know that if it happens again, it's on your head, Celia!

:D

William Haskins
12-11-2006, 09:09 PM
the devil made me do it.

Celia Cyanide
12-11-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm glad to know you equate me with the devil, haskins. And you don't believe in him, either. ;)

Bravo
12-11-2006, 09:52 PM
This forum used to be about religion and politics, and now that the political forum has splintered off, it's nothing but politics, day and night. What happened to all the Christian/God/Jesus/creationism threads?

theyre boring?

:Shrug:

Celia Cyanide
12-11-2006, 10:25 PM
theyre boring?

That's never stopped me from posting threads about anything else...

dclary
12-11-2006, 11:19 PM
In the spirit of christmas we've agreed to go non-religious for a month. Try us again in January, when TIO/CE's theme is "There is no God. Die you mother f*cking heretic!"

billythrilly7th
12-11-2006, 11:56 PM
theyre boring?

I think I might be with you on this one.

aadams73
12-12-2006, 12:24 AM
What happened to all the Christian/God/Jesus/creationism threads?

Flood. It lasted for forty days and forty nights.

Bravo
12-12-2006, 01:59 AM
also, in all seriousness, i think a lot of the more religious and literalist christians left or at least dont discuss these things here anymore b/c they felt a strong bias against them.

ColoradoGuy
12-12-2006, 02:59 AM
Nah--I'm still here, fingers poised over the keyboard, waiting for combat. I think morale's been low since the Ted Haggard fiasco, that and the mid-term elections.

WildScribe
12-12-2006, 03:01 AM
I think I might be with you on this one.

Make that three of us.

dclary
12-12-2006, 03:50 AM
There is no god thread

WackAMole
12-12-2006, 04:00 AM
Im afraid I would fear subjecting myself to the trauma of opening that subject up

Alan Yee
12-12-2006, 04:01 AM
I would rather we not start another one if it's not necessary. The "What does it mean to be a Christian?" thread, and it's sister, "Dealing with the issue of homosexuality" (both of which I'd posted in) got very ugly, and the OP deleted her membership and left. I think the one-month wipeout got erased most of those two threads, but I'd rather we not resurrect them if we don't need to.

Just my honest opinion, of course.

ColoradoGuy
12-12-2006, 04:15 AM
Yeah, but the original God Thread (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29523) was sorta interesting. It was its evil spawn that got ugly.

veinglory
12-12-2006, 04:17 AM
There's a deep analogy in there somewhere.

ColoradoGuy
12-12-2006, 04:20 AM
I need to be more subtle.

Medievalist
12-12-2006, 04:40 AM
also, in all seriousness, i think a lot of the more religious and literalist christians left or at least dont discuss these things here anymore b/c they felt a strong bias against them.

Actually, I think I'm probably a heck of a lot more of a literalist than well, than umm . . . lots of folk.

dclary
12-12-2006, 04:41 AM
Medievalist, my current SCA name is Gawain the Stout. If I lose a lot of weight is it possible to get it changed to Gawain the Formerly Stout?

Medievalist
12-12-2006, 04:47 AM
Medievalist, my current SCA name is Gawain the Stout. If I lose a lot of weight is it possible to get it changed to Gawain the Formerly Stout?

The CLARY was a stout carle for the nones,
Full big he was of brawn, and eke of bones;
That proved well, for *ov'r all where* he came, *wheresoever*
At wrestling he would bear away the ram.<43>
He was short-shouldered, broad, a thicke gnarr*, *stump of wood
There was no door, that he n'old* heave off bar, *could not
Or break it at a running with his head.
His beard as any sow or fox was red,
And thereto broad, as though it were a spade.
Upon the cop* right of his nose he had *head <44>
A wart, and thereon stood a tuft of hairs
Red as the bristles of a sowe's ears.
His nose-thirles* blacke were and wide. *nostrils <45>
A sword and buckler bare he by his side.
His mouth as wide was as a furnace.
He was a jangler, and a goliardais*, *buffoon <46>
And that was most of sin and harlotries.

dclary
12-12-2006, 05:12 AM
I asked Chaucer not to call me a jangler, but he thought it was funny.

Medievalist
12-12-2006, 05:14 AM
I asked Chaucer not to call me a jangler, but he thought it was funny.

BrianTubbs
12-13-2006, 08:03 AM

I'm still around. Just busy. I'm actually trying to invest my extra time in...believe it or not...writing. As in writing for which I get paid. I'm the world's worst procrastinator, and can easily find things to distract me. So, I've been trying to be good lately.

Gravity
12-13-2006, 08:10 AM
Normally I don't get into religious debates, here or elsewhere. I've found they usually tend to generate more heat than light. Even when I was on the other side of the rhetoric (back in my athiest days) I avoided them. I think it was Augustine that said it best (possibly it was Ned Flanders :D ): "Preach the gospel at all times; use words if necessary." In other words, I try (try being the operative word here) to let my life reflect my walk of faith; fiery words usually don't result in anything but burns.

AnnieColleen
12-13-2006, 10:41 AM
"Preach the gospel at all times; use words if necessary."
St. Francis, I think. Great quote. :)

I missed the past threads mentioned here, but any new ones I'd probably stay well away from. Not enough hours in the day!

Jean Marie
12-14-2006, 03:51 AM
last time some one asked that question, (Jean Marie, I believe was the culprit), Haskins bumped up about 10 religion threads.

Just so you know that if it happens again, it's on your head, Celia!

This is quite true, Celia. And this time, I refuse to accept responsibility. However, it's my belief that every last one of them ascended to a better place.

ColoradoGuy
12-14-2006, 04:05 AM
Preach the gospel at all times; use words if necessarySt. Francis, I think. Great quote.
But what language did he use? Wasn't he the guy who talked to birds?

AnnieColleen
12-14-2006, 06:45 AM
But what language did he use? Wasn't he the guy who talked to birds?
Italian, as far as I know. ;)

Yep, he talked to birds, fish, wolves, whatever were handy when people weren't inclined to listen. Sometimes it got people's attention.

Jenan Mac
12-20-2006, 05:57 AM
Do Italian birds speak Italian? Or did he speak fluent pigeon?

Duncan J Macdonald
12-20-2006, 05:59 AM
Do Italian birds speak Italian? Or did he speak fluent pigeon?It was pigeon Italian.

D&RVVF

AnnieColleen
12-20-2006, 08:15 AM
It was pigeon Italian.
:ROFL: such high-flown language there...

Duncan J Macdonald
12-20-2006, 03:38 PM
:ROFL: such high-flown language there...Yep, I peck and claw my way across the keyboard all the time.

Jenan Mac
12-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Looking for crumbs? You'd probably find them, on this one.

Duncan J Macdonald
12-21-2006, 04:20 AM
Looking for crumbs? You'd probably find them, on this one.Are you yolking? I don't want any crumbs stuck in my craw.

Sean D. Schaffer
12-24-2006, 12:39 AM

I don't know about everyone else here, but I'm glad a lot of those threads are gone the way of the dodo. Very seldom, when I posted under my old username, were the discussions all that civilized. I think when you get people who think that they're going to go to Hell if they don't convince other people to follow their god, into a discussion with people who do not believe such things and don't really want to hear them, the potential for civilized discussion flies away. This, I think, replaces civilized discussion with a tiring discussion of "Why my religion is perfect and yours is not".

So like I said, I for one am glad the majority of the G-d threads have gone away. If people can enter a religious discussion with an open mind, on both sides of the argument, then I, for one, will be more willing to discuss the topic.

But I think too many people--I say this as one who used to have this attitude--try to use this forum to win converts, rather than simply make discussion. That, I think, is the main fault of most of the 'G-d' threads.

tourdeforce
12-24-2006, 12:45 AM
G-d

What's up with that?

Sean D. Schaffer
12-24-2006, 01:29 AM
What's up with that?

Hello,

The reason I use the dash in the middle of the word 'G-d' is my way of respecting His Name. There's an old Scripture that says not to take the name of G-d in vain (Exodus 20:7), and so for me, I wish to show my respect for His Name by not taking it lightly.

It's just a principle that I try to follow in my own life. It's my way of giving His Name the reverence I believe it deserves.

That's the reason I do that. There's no motive other than respecting the Name of G-d.

I hope this helps, and that you have a good weekend.

:)

threedogpeople
12-28-2006, 02:23 PM
The prayer thread is alive and well. There are a 15 (or more) of us that post in the thread and support each other with friendship, encouragement, warm thoughts, as well as with prayer.

Not asking anyone out there to believe what we believe but of course you would be welcome if you need an electronic pat on the back.

I'm one of those that has had a near death experience; in what I thought would be my last moment on earth, God was there for me.

Judy

tourdeforce
12-28-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm one of those that has had a near death experience; in what I thought would be my last moment on earth, God was there for me.

But what about the people who die? God wasn't there for them?

davids
12-28-2006, 07:47 PM

Wow-how the hell do you know that? Myselves have never been dead yet-just wondering in which capacity you know this. Gosh and gee-whiz-maybe God was there to take the hand of the person that had died-you know like hold it and comfort it and lead the person to a-well-heck-a better place?

Or maybe Lucy was there to prick them into hell-nice alternative that one.

Some of us are sooo strong in our Atheism that we have gone way beyond the need and fear thing-some say that is the whole basis for religion of any kind-Hmmm-wonder how they know that. Oh well one or two of us will take the loving hand of God and look at the world as our responsibility not his-what was that again about Him giving us freedom to choose? Oh well-let us know how you KNOW-I sure don't-but it would be kinda fun if I did. Then again maybe not-after all it might take the suspence out of it all-then what kind of fun would that be?

tourdeforce
12-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Wow-how the hell do you know that? Myselves have never been dead yet-just wondering in which capacity you know this. Gosh and gee-whiz-maybe God was there to take the hand of the person that had died-you know like hold it and comfort it and lead the person to a-well-heck-a better place?

Or maybe Lucy was there to prick them into hell-nice alternative that one.

Some of us are sooo strong in our Atheism that we have gone way beyond the need and fear thing-some say that is the whole basis for religion of any kind-Hmmm-wonder how they know that. Oh well one or two of us will take the loving hand of God and look at the world as our responsibility not his-what was that again about Him giving us freedom to choose? Oh well-let us know how you KNOW-I sure don't-but it would be kinda fun if I did. Then again maybe not-after all it might take the suspence out of it all-then what kind of fun would that be?

I asked questions.

Sparhawk
12-28-2006, 08:07 PM

Interesting claim.. sadly one that can never be verified. God is what we make God to be within ourselves. JMO.

Pat~
12-28-2006, 08:37 PM

Hopefully that wasn't meant to be as flippant as it sounded. Judy was expressing her feelings about God's faithfulness to her at a time when she was desperate for His intervention. Knowing her, I'm sure she would acknowledge He'd have been just as 'there' had He taken her hand and led her home, as davids said.

tourdeforce
12-28-2006, 09:01 PM
If god is present in near death situations both when the person lives and when they die, then the presence of god is irrelevant to the event.

However, if one takes the position that god was there in the near death situation to save them, then the other side of that is that a decision was made not to save those that die.

davids
12-28-2006, 09:36 PM
If god is present in near death situations both when the person lives and when they die, then the presence of god is irrelevant to the event.

However, if one takes the position that god was there in the near death situation to save them, then the other side of that is that a decision was made not to save those that die.

How is it irrelevant?-just a question

Is this decision right or wrong? Save them-now there is the rub. If you believe-then-they are either saved or not I should imagine. So as I understand the situation some are saved some are not-at least in the physical some may be saved-others dropped like flotsam or jetsam-God if he is there makes a decision on the spot-Hmmm-this one is worth saving for they have not finished their work on this earthly plane-by saving them I not only give them another chance to continue the work but if they are not believers they will become believers as this is what I choose for them-to become believers-another one in the old flock. This one, however, is saved and I welcome him/her into my heavenly flock. The other one is going to hell-they deserve it and-to hell with them-is that a Godly pun?

I do not know, anymore than why God is there in this situation-or if in fact he is there. Is the decision to allow death/cause it/ignore it/ Godly. Many would say it is-me-I have not a clue. If God decides to let him/her die-well-that is His decision-not mine or the ones who may die. Your second statement-is that an incriminating one-negative and all that? Just a question?

Stew21
12-28-2006, 09:38 PM
::remembering why I dislike the God threads and avoid them.::

thanks a lot, Celia! ;)

Pat~
12-28-2006, 11:35 PM

Personally, I don't believe the presence of God is ever irrelevant to the outcome, but I agree with your second sentence. And I'm not gonna bicker anymore 'cuz it makes Trish nervous. ;)

Sean D. Schaffer
12-30-2006, 12:45 AM
::remembering why I dislike the God threads and avoid them.::

thanks a lot, Celia! ;)

Especially in TIO.

threedogpeople
01-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Hopefully that wasn't meant to be as flippant as it sounded. Judy was expressing her feelings about God's faithfulness to her at a time when she was desperate for His intervention. Knowing her, I'm sure she would acknowledge He'd have been just as 'there' had He taken her hand and led her home, as davids said.

It would have been easier to have died than to go through what I've been through (and what I continue to go through). Every morning I wake up and don't want to move because I know that the instant I move the pain gets worse.

What I was trying to say is that I know that in the moment of what I believed was my death, I cried out to God and God was there. It didn't matter whether I survived or died, God was there. You can write it off to the injuries I suffered, if you want, but I am telling you the truth of my experience. No more. No less.

Judy