11-21-2006, 12:38 AM
not much more to say about it...

:(

William Haskins
11-21-2006, 12:42 AM
newman!

English Dave
11-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Kramer is not a racist. I've seen many episodes where he had black, Cuban, Chinese, you name it friends.

Stand up comics have a tough gig. If some uppity ****** starts heckling them then you can't blame them for calling them on the color of their skin.

dclary
11-21-2006, 12:57 AM
I agree, you insufferable redcoat.

Celia Cyanide
11-21-2006, 01:31 AM
That's disgusting.

But did you have to address this just to Billy? The rest of us care about this stuff too, you know. :D

billythrilly7th
11-21-2006, 01:38 AM
That's disgusting.

But did you have to address this just to Billy? The rest of us care about this stuff too, you know. :D

Clary knows that me and the big man upstairs are like this...

:Hug2:

..so my prayers are a little more impactful that the average human.

And Michael Richards needs all the help he can get.

What a hump.

In fact, I don't think I'm even going to pray for him. I could care less.

So, in closing, Clary was correct to address it to me in a prayer abilty sense, but as of yet I am unmotivated to help him.

I look forward to hearing his apology and then I'll reevaluate.

Thank you.

SpookyWriter
11-21-2006, 01:46 AM
Who's Kramer?

TheGaffer
11-21-2006, 03:17 AM
What a dumbass.

Jcomp
11-21-2006, 03:45 AM
Apparently he apologized via satellite on Letterman, which coincidentally had Jerry already booked for the night. So obviously Michael orchestrated this whole thing to get some much needed talk show face time...

poetinahat
11-21-2006, 04:02 AM
Nobody jumps a shark like Fonzie.

billythrilly7th
11-21-2006, 04:24 AM
Apparently he apologized via satellite on Letterman, which coincidentally had Jerry already booked for the night. So obviously Michael orchestrated this whole thing to get some much needed talk show face time...

You watch Katie Couric?

robeiae
11-21-2006, 05:55 AM
What a dumbass.Easy. Spooky may not have ever seen Seinfeld.

Bravo
11-21-2006, 06:07 AM
i gotta say though, that that word just has to be retired from the english language.

blacks shouldnt be using it amongst themselves either.

William Haskins
11-21-2006, 06:10 AM
yes. and while we're outlawing objectionable speech, we should probably go ahead and outlaw objectionable thoughts, too.

billythrilly7th
11-21-2006, 06:12 AM
yes. and while we're outlawing objectionable speech, we should probably go ahead and outlaw objectionable thoughts, too.

Oh, we'll get there...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/flashpoints/theater/images/clockwork_big.jpg

Bravo
11-21-2006, 06:15 AM

i didnt say anything about "outlawing" speech.

i said that phrase should be retired from the english language.

William Haskins
11-21-2006, 06:16 AM
and just for the record, they'll get my nas and rza discs when they pry them from my cold, dead hands...

...which, incidentally, i'll be waving around in the air, like i just don't care.

Bravo
Oh, we'll get there...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/flashpoints/theater/images/clockwork_big.jpg

i really tried watching that movie. really tried to like it.

stopped it about 50 mins in.

:sleepy:

William Haskins
i didnt say anything about "outlawing" speech.

i said that phrase should be retired from the english language.
please explain, in practical terms, the distinction.

Bravo
11-21-2006, 06:19 AM
please explain, in practical terms, the distinction.

it's such an objectionable phrase that we ourselves, as a society, should stop using it.

no govt pressure, just based on our own caring and understanding of the connotations and implications of the word.

Jcomp
11-21-2006, 06:19 AM
Ahhh...the RZA & Nas.

Oddly, I now almost never use the word save for when I'm drunk with my drinking crew (as opposed to drunk by myself) which is mostly girls, none of whom are black, which adds to the comedic value in my opinion.

William Haskins
11-21-2006, 06:20 AM
it's such an objectionable phrase that we ourselves, as a society, should stop using it.

no govt pressure, just based on our own caring and understanding of the connotations and implications of the word.

you little idealist you. just makes me want to hug you til your little eyeballs pop out.

Bravo
11-21-2006, 06:22 AM
like the last guy you hugged?

William Haskins
11-21-2006, 06:24 AM
"itís funny how the colours of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen."

robeiae
11-21-2006, 08:06 AM
*sigh*

I'm so friggin happy, I could cry...

Bartholomew
11-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Who is that guy?

Why was he raving like a nazi?

robeiae
11-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Oh, and here's some more evidence that Wikipedia is becoming a colossal joke and is not to be trusted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Richards) (make sure to read the discussion page).

Jcomp
11-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Oh, and here's some more evidence that Wikipedia is becoming a colossal joke and is not to be trusted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Richards) (make sure to read the discussion page).

I thought it was funny (and expected) that his page was so rapidly locked for vandalism. Que sera.

Scarlett_156
11-21-2006, 06:10 PM
It made me feel sorry for him, but I quickly started to suspect that it was some kinda stunt or joke. Still not sure-- meh, I'm not gonna waste time thinkin about it. Epithets and slurs are just as much a part of la lingua as the words "cinnamon raisin" and "cream cheese"... hm... I must be starting to come down from my high...

People have used slurs against me pretty much all my life. It's happened so many times I don't even care anymore. It doesn't make me feel anything, that's the truth. Someone can sit in a bar and crack on me all day; I'll only look at them if they reach for a weapon, or come up and get in my face. When I walk past the playground I hear little kids (like under 9 years of age) calling each other "bastard" "hoe" "nigga" "mother****er" and so on. It's kind of depressing on one hand, but it also serves to reinforce my self-congratulatory smugness over not ever having had any kids...

oswann
11-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I would be more concerned about someone who was polite and used perfect English during thier KKK meetings.

Os.

TheGaffer
11-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Oh, and here's some more evidence that Wikipedia is becoming a colossal joke and is not to be trusted (make sure to read the discussion page).

Huh?

robeiae
11-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Huh?Read the discussion, check the history of changes on the Michael Richards article.

TheGaffer
11-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Read the discussion, check the history of changes on the Michael Richards article.

I did. but I just don't care.

robeiae
11-21-2006, 09:16 PM
I did. but I just don't care.Then why are you asking me questions?

TheGaffer
11-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Then why are you asking me questions?

You said wikipedia is becoming a colossal joke. I was under the impression it already was.

And the rantings of users on a discussion page has all the validity as true sources as it does going to a Yahoo stock message board to see some intelligent opinions of Ford Motor, or checking out the ramblings from "jim378baxter" on Little Green Footballs or Think Progress. I don't see what your point was.

robeiae
11-21-2006, 09:27 PM
You said wikipedia is becoming a colossal joke. I was under the impression it already was.I don't think everyone shares that opinion, but I'm happy that there are least two of us.

TheGaffer
11-21-2006, 09:36 PM
I don't think everyone shares that opinion, but I'm happy that there are least two of us.

it's great if you wanna look up facts about the career of the Junkyard Dog or Gorgeous George. Because ultimately, unless you're doing a paper on him (and what kind of class is this????) a few inaccuracies here and there just don't matter.

But if you're looking for a breakdown of the fallout of Watergate, well, perhaps it's best left to other sources.

robeiae
11-21-2006, 09:38 PM
it's great if you wanna look up facts about the career of the Junkyard Dog or Gorgeous George. Because ultimately, unless you're doing a paper on him (and what kind of class is this????) a few inaccuracies here and there just don't matter.
Ha! There are several dissertations out there on professional wrestling. Really. I think they were for sociology doctorates.

TheGaffer
11-21-2006, 09:46 PM
There are several dissertations out there on professional wrestling. Really. I think they were for sociology doctorates.

Nice! I meant more like an essay on Junkyard Dog for H.S. or something, or Koko B. Ware, or Barry O, who had no teeth.

Jcomp
11-21-2006, 09:48 PM
I use wikipedia to keep up with huge comic-book crossover story arcs without having to buy 20 issues a month. Thanks wikipedia!

blacbird
11-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Maybe Richards will get to reprise this episode in the guise of Kramer, in "Seinfeld: The Movie."

caw

nicegrrl
11-22-2006, 02:18 AM
I used to be very hurt and offended when called a n*gger as a child. As an adolescent I realized that the people who call others n*ggers are the trash. Then I noticed that negro is the name for blacks in portguese and spanish countries and saw that n*gger is really a bad pronunciation of negro. Upon realizing this, the world somehow stopped offending me entirely regardless of its historical context. Honestly, in 1930 in the south "black" would have been just as bad as n*gger anyways, so I dont see whats the point in getting so upset about n*gger. A few months ago I was called a n*gger by someone in a car while I was crossing a street- totally didnt bother me. I kind of chuckled to myself.

blacbird
11-22-2006, 02:41 AM
It's not just the word. It's the context in which it is used. Obviously, the context in which Richards used it (repeatedly, at high volume) was way beyond the socially acceptable. Most bothersome is that he chose to go straight to the offensive racial group designation, rather than flaming the guy out for being an individual ***hole, or whatever other vulgarism might apply. That says something not very pleasant about Michael Richards, in the same way that Mel Gibson's anti-semitic tirade this past summer said something not very pleasant about him. In both cases, a simple "Gee, I'm sorry, I'm really not a racist" doesn't explain that choice.

caw

Jean Marie
11-22-2006, 02:44 AM
you little idealist you. just makes me want to hug you til your little eyeballs pop out.
I can almost see a smiley in that post...maybe if I squint...

Jean Marie
11-22-2006, 02:47 AM
Maybe Richards will get to reprise this episode in the guise of Kramer, in "Seinfeld: The Movie."

caw
I thought that was his audition, no?

Richards is so a racist. And so is Gibson. I don't care if Richards wasn't drunk and the other fool was, they both showed their true colors.

nicegrrl
11-22-2006, 03:34 AM
It's not just the word. It's the context in which it is used. Obviously, the context in which Richards used it (repeatedly, at high volume) was way beyond the socially acceptable. Most bothersome is that he chose to go straight to the offensive racial group designation, rather than flaming the guy out for being an individual ***hole, or whatever other vulgarism might apply.

Anyone who uses the word isnt going to think about what the appropriate context would be for using it. Hence, there is no appropriate context for it. Yeah, he's a loser and there is no excuse. Duh.

But really, people dont have to get upset when people call them the N-word. It has no meaning and serves no purpose other than announcing that the speaker resorts to racism.

nicegrrl
11-22-2006, 03:42 AM
Unchristian as it is, my impulse is not to pray for a multi millionaire that lashes out with extreme racism when heckled as a stand up comic. Regardless, perhaps it is such spiritually bankrupt people that are most in need of prayer.

Not that I pray. Personally, I am not christian and I do not really believe in God.

AnneMarble
11-22-2006, 04:09 AM
I saw that last night. Actually I heard it because my spare computer no longer has a picture. And because I couldn't see that it was really him, at first, I thought it was some kind of parody -- because of the way people in the audience were laughing. Then I realized it was really him. Wow. The audience wasn't impressed, either.

As far as the heckling goes... One of the entertainment shows interviewed a well known comic, and he disgustedly said, "That wasn't heckling." Another interviewed the heckler, and he said that all he said was "My friend says you aren't funny." Someone who can't handle that isn't cut out to be a stand-up comedian (and isn't funny anyway). I've only attended a few live stand-up comic performances, but they get a lot worse, and they handle it by being funny.

TheGaffer
11-22-2006, 08:23 PM
The apology was equally bizarre, rambling on about Katrina and the demons in all of us or some such thing. Uh, dude, we're not the ones who shouted n****r six times in a row on a stage, you are.

Jcomp
11-22-2006, 11:57 PM
The more I see it actually, accompanied with the rambling, barely coherent apology, the more I'm thinking that Richards was coked out of his mind when he went crazy. Not that it excuses him, but it would make sense...

And I keep laughing when the lady in the video says "Oh my God." She says it like she just saw someone get stabbed. Shows the impact of the word even on those it's not directed towards. It's funny to hear her though.

Celia Cyanide
11-23-2006, 02:33 AM
But really, people dont have to get upset when people call them the N-word. It has no meaning and serves no purpose other than announcing that the speaker resorts to racism.

Speaking for myself, I was far more disturbed by "upside down with a fork up your..." thing.

Here is the apology. It seems like people were laughing because they didn't know what to think.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o5eZqtb1hZw

Bartholomew
11-23-2006, 02:51 AM
Then I noticed that negro is the name for blacks in portguese and spanish countries and saw that n*gger is really a bad pronunciation of negro. Upon realizing this, the world somehow stopped offending me entirely regardless of its historical context.

The latin word Nigrum is the source of both N*gger and Negro; interestingly, so is the name of the country, Nigeria.

The words N*gger (Black) and Niger (From or Of Nigeria) eventually became mixed up.

blacbird
11-23-2006, 02:54 AM
I'm thinking Mike needs some therapy, right quick. This whole episode doesn't seem like something that would happen to a mentally stable individual.

caw

aghast
11-23-2006, 02:57 AM
number 1 rule for standup is you dont heckle back your audience - its a surefire way of killing your career and i have seen that happen on stage before and felt really bad for the guy but kramer really f-ed up this time and it will take a lot for people to believe hes not a racist especailly after the whole mel gibson thing - at least mel gibson could blame it on the booze but kramer has no excuse - being heckled is not an excuse - hes supposed to be a professional to begin with and the racial slurs are simply inexcusable

TheGaffer
11-23-2006, 05:09 AM
There are ways to get back at an audience member heckling you. The way apparently is to shut them down real quick with a comment that makes the crowd laugh at them and not you. You can't alienate the audience, but you can yell at hecklers. From what I've read comedians usually develop stock lines they use in these situations - stuff along the lines of "Hey, let me do my job. I don't come down to the bus station and interrupt you while you're turning tricks for the homeless people" or some-such thing like that.

robeiae
11-23-2006, 05:16 AM
"You guys are funny...what are your names--Neil and Bob, or is that what you do?"--Andrew "Dice" Clay to a pair of hecklers

aghast
11-23-2006, 05:26 AM
kramer couldda learned something from don rickles, the guy knows how to shut hecklers up for being funny, he is 80 years old and still working and theres a reason

dclary
11-23-2006, 12:18 PM
What would be really awesome would be if the darker-pigmented folks in the the audience that night sued Richards for "free coffee for the rest of their lives."

Bartholomew
11-23-2006, 12:19 PM
No. Seriously.

Who is this Putz?

billythrilly7th
11-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Anyone happen to catch the TBS afternoon/evening episode of Seinfeld today?

It's the one where Kramer is dating the black girl and has to go meet her family and goes tanning, over does it, and ends up looking like he's wearing blackface when he arrives to meet them.

Very weird episode to watch right now and probably for the rest of human history.

I was like ..."Holy shmoly!"

Inkdaub
11-24-2006, 02:38 PM
I think it's funny that most people still refer to him as Kramer.

TheGaffer
11-25-2006, 02:37 AM
It's the one where Kramer is dating the black girl and has to go meet her family and goes tanning, over does it, and ends up looking like he's wearing blackface when he arrives to meet them.

Very weird episode to watch right now and probably for the rest of human history.

Oh, man. Yes, that episode will never quite appear the same.

J. Weiland
11-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Some stupid individuals have given http://www.kennykramer.com/ a hard time over this, apparently. :Wha:

billythrilly7th
11-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Seinfeld isn't the same right now. :cry:

Every time Kramer comes in I can't get what he did out of my mind.

Damn you, Michael Richards!!

AnneMarble
11-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Did anyone see part of his interview/apology thingie with Jessie Jackson over the weekend. It was bizarre. Michael Richards was claiming that his act is improvisational rather than stand-up comedy. Isn't that the mark of a really bad stand-up comic, someone who doesn't belong on that stage? "I'm not a traditional stand-up comic. I'm ... improvising! Yeah, that's the ticket."

And in the You Know You're a Nerd When department...
Am I the only one who saw this story and was reminded of the acclaimed play "The Comedians" by Trevor Griffith? It's been a while since I read it, but as far as I remember, it's about a class for stand-up comics. One of students is brilliant, but an angry young man. At the end, each student gives a routine that counts as their final grade. He goes into a long, angry, unfunny (but brilliantly written) rant. Jonathan Pryce got a Tony for playing the angry young man on Broadway.

aghast
11-27-2006, 10:09 PM

learn to separate the man from his art man

AnneMarble
11-28-2006, 06:35 PM
On the radio, I just learned that Jesse Jackson has called for a boycott of Seinfeld!
:Wha:

Has anyone heard more of this?...

Talk about not being able to separate the artist from the tantrum. Not to mention the fact that Seinfeld is an ensemble show, so all the other actors are being smeared by this.

eldragon
11-28-2006, 06:54 PM
I finally watched the stand-up thing last night. Disgusting, really. Did he think anyone would find it funny? Like he has the guts to say the words, so everyone should be thrilled by it?

Living in redneck world MS., - plenty of people still use the word - DAILY. (See my post on banning the n word.)

This guy should go live with Mel Gibson someplace. Nobody can help his career, which he himself ruined.

Apologizing just makes him look desperate. I'd have more respect for the guy if he were at least honest about why he says those things.

Why can't he just be honest and say "I hate black people because that's the way I was raised. I hate them because ................."

It would be ignorant, but at least honest. After all - we see the recorded tape of his rantings. Trying to say, now, that he actually likes black people and doesn't know why he said those things is ridiculous.

There's only one reason why he said those things.

eldragon
11-28-2006, 06:56 PM
On the radio, I just learned that Jesse Jackson has called for a boycott of Seinfeld!
:Wha:

Has anyone heard more of this?...

Talk about not being able to separate the artist from the tantrum. Not to mention the fact that Seinfeld is an ensemble show, so all the other actors are being smeared by this.

That makes sense. First, they are re-runs. Second - Kramer is a character in the show.

Pointless.

Jcomp
11-28-2006, 07:15 PM

Me too! It's not like his presence offends me, but it's a distraction. I can't laugh at it like I used to. Thank God Scrubs just went into syndication on an opposing network in the same time slot...

billythrilly7th
11-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Me too! It's not like his presence offends me, but it's a distraction.

Yep.

It's just sitting there like a big fat meatball everytime he's on the screen.

Same thing with Mel Gibson too.

Hopefully these things will fade. Just upsetting for me that Braveheart is my favorite movie of all time and Mel probably my favorite actor, and Seinfeld is hands down my favorite TV show of all time.

All I need now is for Bono, Edge, Adam or Larry to start screaming at Asian people or something.

Ahhhh!!!!

aghast
11-28-2006, 08:10 PM
jesse jackson is totally overreacting here as well - i guess that guy is running out of things to ***** about

billythrilly7th
11-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Every racial incident = money for their organizations.

As bad is it it and it's bad, for Jesse and Al, it's a fundraiser.

TheGaffer
11-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Yeah, Billy. At least with the Yankees, if one of them says something really dead-*** stupid, they can be traded. Although I admit it was tough to root for the Knicks for a while there with Charlie Ward.

(Now it's just tough to root for them for other reasons.)