PDA

View Full Version : Go Vote

MacAllister
11-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Get out and vote today, folks, if you haven't already. Vote your conscience, vote your beliefs, vote any which way you choose...but exercise your right to make your voice count.

robeiae
11-07-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm voting the Whig ticket, right down the line.

ETR (that's edited to remove): A joke that Mac thought inappropriate. Never let it be said that I am unwilling to change.

aghast
11-07-2006, 08:27 PM
not with the polling machines breaking down right and left, come back next year!

MacAllister
11-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Wow. Rob, that's so seriously not funny (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/01/AR2006110103202.html), considering (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/02/AR2006110201670.html)the voter suppression (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/01/opinion/01wed3.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1162875417-0Iyb5HptSMZCKxrXFgk/Tg&oref=slogin) attempts (http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2006_11/010013.php) being reported in so many places (http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=16105).

whistlelock
11-07-2006, 08:35 PM
I love dirty politics.

Unique
11-07-2006, 08:37 PM
I love dirty politics.

I don't.

These negative campaign ads THAT CALL ME ON THE PHONE are really starting to piss me off.

I'm gonna borrow Jenna's wrath.

aghast
11-07-2006, 08:38 PM
its definitely not funny and completely undermines democracy that we are so righteous and preachy about, say in iraq

dclary
11-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Democracy is all about having the right to try and be funny but failing and not getting executed for it.

So go ahead Robeiaie! Be not funny! Be not funny to your heart's content!

robeiae
11-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Why do you hate Whigs, Dclary?

dclary
11-07-2006, 08:52 PM
They make me look funny.

Sheryl Nantus
11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
*scratches head*

I really can't fathom how things go from bad to worse to silly...

first, people can't punch a hole in a card. The entire "chad" thing had me in stitches for the inherent silliness of it all. I mean, really.

now there's a rush to electronic machines under the idea that they're somehow more reliable. Not necessary secure, but more reliable than having people poke a hole in a card or mark an X on a piece of paper.

society at times totally confuses me.

not to mention the rush to scream "conspiracy" when at times, it's just the actions of dumb people

Sheryl Nantus
11-07-2006, 08:58 PM
are Republicans the only ones to fix elections?

where are the Communists? The Libertarians? The Rhinos from Canada!

TheGaffer
11-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Unique, what state are you in?

TheGaffer
11-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Once again, reports of massively long lines in Denver, Philadelphia, Ohio, et al, as machines break down and they run out of provisional ballots, and people decide to leave to go to work.

This is the third time in a row. When will people wake up?

Unique
11-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Unique, what state are you in?

NC

not a bad place to be - all things considered.
I wish 'Up North' would fix their **** so these Yankees would/could Go Back Home.

SC Harrison
11-07-2006, 09:20 PM
I get to vote in a church, so I've got that whole hands clasped in front of me, complacent smile pasted on my face, so blessed to be alive and healthy thing going on. :)

It's actually the all-purpose activities building, as opposed to the Sanctuary, which is good considering some of the Godless deviants I've voted for in the past (and will later today).

TheGaffer
11-07-2006, 09:22 PM
I wish 'Up North' would fix their **** so these Yankees would/could Go Back Home.

We're trying. But here in NYC, it's hard to move anywhere, since there's so many of you southerners standing in the middle of the sidewalk seven abreast gawking up at the buildings. Please walk faster. ;)

Dawno
11-07-2006, 09:27 PM
I mailed in my absentee ballot last week. I am so happy not to have to bother with all the dang crowds and machines. Weather here was very foggy earlier - it's cleared up and voting day in NorCal looks lovely.

aghast
11-07-2006, 09:28 PM
they have months to test the machines and days to set them up and on election day they couldnt even get them to start - maybe they should use macintoshes...its really not rocket science and people are now looking at the us voting system and say the us is really silly - cant even get a simple touch screen computer to work right after years and months of testing and deployment, silly silly silly - at one place in cleveland none of the five machines work and they have to pass out paper ballots! i am still going to vote though and i hope people wont give up and just go home

dclary
11-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Once again, reports of massively long lines in Denver, Philadelphia, Ohio, et al, as machines break down and they run out of provisional ballots, and people decide to leave to go to work.

This is the third time in a row. When will people wake up?

And move out of Denver, Philly and Ohio?

We can only hope soon. For their sakes.

aghast
11-07-2006, 09:32 PM
curious they are all swing states - you dont hear problems in california or oklahoma (yet)

kristie911
11-07-2006, 09:32 PM
I voted! Now the stupid political ads, phone calls, and mailers can stop!

I got a phone call last night asking me to vote for Dick DeVos for Michigan governor. The phone rang at 11pm! Yeah, that'll make me vote for you "Dick".

Bravo
11-07-2006, 09:50 PM
every1 write bravo in!

10,000 AW members have to count for something.

itll be like our own grassroots movement.

thank you

SC Harrison
11-07-2006, 10:09 PM
every1 write bravo in!

10,000 AW members have to count for something.

itll be like our own grassroots movement.

thank you

Sorry, Bravo. My write-in vote is going to PA Sock Puppet or Votebot, depending on my mood at the time.

Sarita
11-07-2006, 10:17 PM
I got a phone call last night asking me to vote for Dick DeVos for Michigan governor. The phone rang at 11pm! Yeah, that'll make me vote for you "Dick". Every canditate I can think of visited me at home. When I lived just a mile from here in a town house, no one ever came by. Now that I'm in a nicer neighborhood, they're coming out in swarms. Says a lot to me about "target audience." At least after today, Scott Conklin will stop popping in on me "Just to say hello and encourage you to vote." 3 times people, he came by 3 times.

TheGaffer
11-07-2006, 10:23 PM
weird, seeing as how you're clearly only about eight months old.

dclary
11-07-2006, 10:57 PM
curious they are all swing states - you dont hear problems in california or oklahoma (yet)

That's because illegals don't know how to use voting machines.

AnneMarble
11-07-2006, 11:24 PM
I voted. I guess it went OK. Who can tell as there's no longer a paper trail?
:wag:

My boss had to vote on a provisional ballot because her card didn't work. She said it took a long time because there is so much extra paperwork to fill out. (She came in after I did, that's how long it took! :Wha: )

rtilryarms
11-07-2006, 11:32 PM
I will only vote for a politician who:

a) did not partake in a negative-laced campaign or
b) did not spam my home phne answering machine.

billythrilly7th
11-07-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm taking a shower and I'm gonna shave and then I'm going to go vote.

Election day in Boulder is the #1 day to pick up on gorgeous college hippie flower girl wannabee volunteers working at the polling places.

I may even bring my guitar to play while I wait or after I vote.

"The Times They are A Changin!"

Senators, Congressman, please heed the call...etc...

Hippie Chick: You have a beautiful voice.
Billy: Thanks. I just think it's really time for a change. I'm just hoping that we can get rid of those Republicans today.
Hippie Chick: Me too. We're having a celebration party tonight if things go well. You should come. Bring your guitar.
Billy: You're gonna be there?
Hippie Chick: Yep.
Billy and Hippie Chick share a moment.
Billy: Then I...will definitely be there.
Hippie Chick: Rad.

Gotta go, people!

To everything turns turns turn!!!

Unique
11-07-2006, 11:45 PM
I don't.

These negative campaign ads THAT CALL ME ON THE PHONE are really starting to piss me off.

I'm gonna borrow Jenna's wrath.

http://tinyurl.com/y6sb8q

Apparently it's not just here - but everywhere. What a disturbing trend.
And I do consider the source.

billythrilly7th
11-07-2006, 11:48 PM
are Republicans the only ones to fix elections?

I filled out my registration with hippies, marked Republican and never got my voter registration card. I mentioned this in another thread.

Anyway, a few days ago, after still no card, I went online to see that me the person was registered, correct birthdate and everything BUT with THE WRONG ADDRESS. My registration card was sent to a street address that doesn't even exist.

So, now I'm going over there hoping I can still vote.

The democrats here in the People's Republic of Boulder attempted to surpress my vote. Unbelievable.

"This won't stand."
George Bush the 1st

kristie911
11-08-2006, 12:11 AM

So that means you didn't vote? :D I'm pretty sure that eliminates every politician...at least around here!

greglondon
11-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Remember folks, if you got a bunch of robo-calls that seemed to be from Democratic candidates, make sure they weren't actually from Republican slimeballs trying to tick off the voters and get them mad at the Democrats for "spamming them".

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2006_11/010013.php

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm off to vote!!

"There's a battle outside and it's raging. It will soon shake your windows and rattle your walls!!"

Thank you.

TheGaffer
11-08-2006, 12:39 AM

The former, I'm not sure I can help you. The latter? Depends on what you're talking about. If it's a kind call from Bill Clinton, George Bush, Newt Gingrich or Al Gore saying "We'd like you to vote.." that's the usual. If it's 8 consecutive calls from the "democratic candidate," well, that's probably from the NRCC, which has decided on using this to see if people will be annoyed enough at phone calls to vote against Democrats.

Apparently it's not just here - but everywhere. What a disturbing trend.
And I do consider the source.

Yepper. Apparently in the 2006 elections, the Republicans think people are so stupid they want to annoy them with phone calls from "the democrats" and turn the election that way. Jerks.

http://tinyurl.com/y6sb8q

Billy, how old are you, btw? I mean, are you still picking up 23-year-old naive girls with tales of fighting the power and then turning them by reading "Who's Looking Out For You" in the wee hours of the morning? ;)

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 01:30 AM
Yepper. Apparently in the 2006 elections, the Republicans think people are so stupid they want to annoy them with phone calls from "the democrats" and turn the election that way. Jerks.

Thank you.

FYI all those methods have been tested and proven to work.

Billy, how old are you, btw? I mean, are you still picking up 23-year-old naive girls with tales of fighting the power and then turning them by reading "Who's Looking Out For You" in the wee hours of the morning? ;)

Yep.

:)

The reason I live in Boulder is because I can do more of my work from the inside than the outside.

No one wins elections by preaching to the choir. You have to dance with the devil and bring him to your side.

Thank you.

Sheryl Nantus
11-08-2006, 01:41 AM
if people are that annoyed at a few spam calls to change their vote... I'm not sure they *should* be allowed to vote.

:D

and woe betide the candidate who *does* mount a phone campaign to get supporters out...

Unique
11-08-2006, 01:41 AM
No one wins elections by preaching to the choir. You have to dance with the devil and bring him to your side.

Thank you.

If that's who you want on your team, billy. The father of lies. Telling.
Win at any cost and damn truth, justice, and all that old fashioned junk, huh?
Nice.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 01:45 AM
If that's who you want on your team, billy. The father of lies. Telling.
Win at any cost and damn truth, justice, and all that old fashioned junk, huh?
Nice.

Apparently you have a hard time deciphering and comprehending the symbolic nature of a quote and how it applies to real world situations in a non-literal way.

That's okay.

Unless you were being sarcastic. Then my mistake.
:D

Thank you.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 01:53 AM
I filled out my registration with hippies, marked Republican and never got my voter registration card. I mentioned this in another thread.

Anyway, a few days ago, after still no card, I went online to see that me the person was registered, correct birthdate and everything BUT with THE WRONG ADDRESS. My registration card was sent to a street address that doesn't even exist.

So, now I'm going over there hoping I can still vote.

The democrats here in the People's Republic of Boulder attempted to surpress my vote. Unbelievable.

"This won't stand."
George Bush the 1st

So...I get there.

I don't have a Colorado I.D. Only a NY I.D. and my address is wrong in the book as I mentioned.

The woman said I can't vote because I don't have a Colorado I.D. Fair enough. I actually like that.

I said I brought a utility bill('cause I'm smart that way) with my address.

She said "I'll accept that." Then she lined up the address on the utility bill with the book address and went into deep contemplation...."Okay, I see that your address is 1116 Jay Lane#211 on the utility bill and the book says 116 Jay Lane #211. So...that's gotta be you, right?" I say "I am the Thrill."

And she gives me a ballot.

I vote.

All is well.

But it doesn't change the fact that the registration was entered improperly and the card was sent to an address that doesn't exist.

I still would like an investigation as to how this could possibly occur.

Thank you.

Unique
11-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Despite the fact you want the devil to join your party.:rolleyes: Maybe you should call the FBI. Seriously.

Look here: FBI investigating VA voter calls (http://tinyurl.com/yfgb8t)

Sorry if that makes you feel like you're not special.

You are still very special.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 02:34 AM
Despite the fact you want the devil to join your party.:rolleyes: Maybe you should call the FBI. Seriously.

Nah.

I register. I vote. No problem.

I, for lack of a better term, am unsurpressable. They tried. But the Boulder hippies lost this round. Thrill: 1 Hippies:0

I suggest dems to a better job of becoming unsurpressable as well.

With that said, I condemn all acts of illegal voter intimidation and surpression such as what occurred to me here in Boulder with my address mysteriously being changed and my never getting a voting card on this Sunday Bloody Tuesday.

Edge, play the blues!

Unique
11-08-2006, 02:38 AM
Okay for you. What about the people who aren't you? Do you think you're the only one in your district that it happened to? What if it happened to 50, or 150, or 1,500 - and no one ever complained?

oh. but I forgot.

It's all about you.

And it's really not to pick on you. If you're serious about running for public office at least pretending to care about your constituents would take you far.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 02:41 AM
Okay for you. What about the people who aren't you? Do you think you're the only one in your district that it happened to? What if it happened to 50, or 150, or 1,500 - and no one ever complained?

oh. but I forgot.

It's all about you.

Yes.

Or maybe I have bad penmanship and they couldn't read my address.

Regardless, no harm, no foul!

If it's widespread, I'm sure that the good citizens of Boulder will bring it the necessary attention it deserves.

I have more important fish to fry like monitoring democratic behavior like this...

In New Jersey, Republican Tom Kean Jr.'s campaign office was reportedly vandalized. A chain and padlock was placed on the front door and keys were broken off in the locks at the side entrances.

"It appears the Democrats have already resorted to Election Day dirty tricks," said Kean campaign manager Evan Kozlow, who said the "desperate ploys" will not prevent the campaign "from informing voters that Bob Menendez is under federal criminal investigation and is unfit to serve in the United States Senate."

Unbelievable.

Sad.

And this...

In Michigan, the Web site for Republican Senate candidate Mike Bouchard was shut down after being hacked. The campaign said the site has been inundated by a distributed denial of service attack that overwhelmed the server. Federal authorities were being contacted.

Even sadder.

Come on democrats, can't you try and win fair and square?

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 02:47 AM
And what kind of garbage is this....

n New Jersey, voters in at least seven jurisdictions attempting to vote for Kean and found their machines "locked" for Menendez, according to GOP Committee attorney Mark Sheridan, who called it a "disturbing and developing trend" emerging at the polls.

Sheridan said Republicans are trying to figure out if this is a result of computer error or malfeasance on the part of poll workers. He said it would be too much of a coincidence for anything other than "fraud."

"Locked for Menendez?"

and this...

In Lebanon County, Pa., voting glitches forced people to cast paper ballots. Lebanon, Lancaster and Luzerne counties all extended poll hours as a result of voting problems.

"There have been problems, unfortunately, across the commonwealth in many counties," said Pennsylvania Republican Sen. Rick Santorum. "We had at least over a dozen complaints of people who noticed that when they voted for one candidate it registered for the other, and in some cases had to vote several times in order to get it to work."

Santorum said his campaign is preparing reports about malfunctioning machines.

Coincidences?

It's a sad day when people who are always accusing others of dirty play and are supposed to be the rightous ones alelgedly start hacking into computers making it impossible for someone to vote for anyone other than their candidate.

aadams73
11-08-2006, 02:48 AM
To all of you who voted Democrat today, thank you :)

Unique
11-08-2006, 02:49 AM
No matter which side does it, it's wrong. Neither party has a monopoly on boneheads. Neither party has a majority of boneheads.

It's sad, really. It would be a lot easier to vote a straight ticket but sadly I haven't been able to since the early 80's.

greglondon
11-08-2006, 02:50 AM
Come on democrats, can't you try and win fair and square?

We but worship the ground crooked republicans walk on.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/10432334/was_the_2004_election_stolen

350,000 votes thrown out in ohio was enough to give Bush the presidency in 2004. And then having Republicans from out of state go down and protest the recount in florida like it was some sort of "by the people" protest amongst floridans, Bush's brother helping out, and a Supreme Court decision down party lines, now THAT is stealing an election like the pro's would do it.

:Hail:

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 02:52 AM
No matter which side does it, it's wrong. Neither party has a monopoly on boneheads.

Of course.

Just wanted to make that point and to hold the mirror up to the faces of all those poor democrats ranting and raving like lunatics about "voter surpression" and "dirty tricks" and the "evil Republicans."

:eye roll emoticon:

My work here is done!!

dclary
11-08-2006, 03:44 AM
So...I get there.

I don't have a Colorado I.D. Only a NY I.D. and my address is wrong in the book as I mentioned.

The woman said I can't vote because I don't have a Colorado I.D. Fair enough. I actually like that.

I said I brought a utility bill('cause I'm smart that way) with my address.

She said "I'll accept that." Then she lined up the address on the utility bill with the book address and went into deep contemplation...."Okay, I see that your address is 1116 Jay Lane#211 on the utility bill and the book says 116 Jay Lane #211. So...that's gotta be you, right?" I say "I am the Thrill."

And she gives me a ballot.

I vote.

All is well.

But it doesn't change the fact that the registration was entered improperly and the card was sent to an address that doesn't exist.

I still would like an investigation as to how this could possibly occur.

Thank you.

I'm surprised she didn't tear her blouse off and scream "Suck at the teat of freedom! I'm yours!" after hearing "I am the Thrill."

dclary
11-08-2006, 03:45 AM
We but worship the ground crooked republicans walk on.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/10432334/was_the_2004_election_stolen

350,000 votes thrown out in ohio was enough to give Bush the presidency in 2004. And then having Republicans from out of state go down and protest the recount in florida like it was some sort of "by the people" protest amongst floridans, Bush's brother helping out, and a Supreme Court decision down party lines, now THAT is stealing an election like the pro's would do it.

:Hail:

So... none of the other states' votes mattered?

dclary
11-08-2006, 03:47 AM
To all of you who voted Democrat today, thank you :)

To all of you voted period, thank you.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 03:52 AM
So... none of the other states' votes mattered?

I love people who enjoy debating the past ad infinitum.

Anyone want to debate Iran-Contra and what Bush Senior knew?!

Any takers?

Holla!

SC Harrison
11-08-2006, 04:28 AM
Anyone want to debate Iran-Contra and what Bush Senior knew?!

Guess who's about to be elected el Presidente again (or I should say "properly", this time) in Nicaragua? That's right, Daniel Ortega.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 04:39 AM
Guess who's about to be elected el Presidente again (or I should say "properly", this time) in Nicaragua? That's right, Daniel Ortega.

I know...just classic.

I'm getting Ollie North out of storage, dusted off and back to work.

But in Ortega's defense, he says he's changed. He's the Kadafi of Central America.

We'll see.

aghast
11-08-2006, 06:25 AM
voted - the machine was easy to use but a bit confusing at the end, after you hit the big red vote button you think you can just walk away but no, it asks you one more time to confirm. i hope nobody walked away before the final confirm thinking they had voted - but other than that its so simple if you have ever used a atm machine before you can do this - i voted for a few democrats and a couple of republicans, in other words, may the best person get my vote - not playing the party politics at all, just wanted the right person to win so they can do the job for the people

aghast
11-08-2006, 06:29 AM
And what kind of garbage is this....

i didnt hear you cry foul when the republicans are doing that, including calling people saying if they vote they will be arrested - like someone said, its wrong no matter which side youre on so be a fair monkey and try to hoot on both sides will ya? i voted both dems and republicans today btw, its not about party poltiics, its about excercising our rights to vote fair and just and to elect the person we think is right

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 06:34 AM
i didnt hear you cry foul when the republicans are doing that, including calling people saying if they vote they will be arrested - like someone said, its wrong no matter which side youre on so be a fair monkey and try to hoot on both sides will ya?

Apparently you either didn't read or understand my posts.

Thank you.

SC Harrison
11-08-2006, 06:48 AM
I know...just classic.

I'm getting Ollie North out of storage, dusted off and back to work.

But in Ortega's defense, he says he's changed. He's the Kadafi of Central America.

We'll see.

I think Ollie actually went down there to see what he could do, and...the former Contra candidate is finishing dead last.

"Senor North, please, please, just stay home, hokay?"

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 06:54 AM
I think Ollie actually went down there to see what he could do, and...the former Contra candidate is finishing dead last.

"Senor North, please, please, just stay home, hokay?"

So Ollie North is the John Kerry of the Contrapublican party?

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 06:55 AM
I didn't know Jeb Bush was retiring in Florida.

:(

What's he gonna do now?

;)

SC Harrison
11-08-2006, 08:06 AM
What's he gonna do now?

;)

Don't even think it.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Don't even think it.

Not only am I thinking it, I'm promising it.

But don't worry. Not in '08.

We're gonna see Jeb down the road a bit.

And I look forward to it.

He did an excellent job as Governor and will make an excellent President.

I look forward to the Bush hat trick.

emeraldcite
11-08-2006, 08:21 AM
He did an excellent job as Governor

Pshaw. Don't you live in CO?

I guess from afar the pile of shite looks quite like a majestic mountain...

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Pshaw. Don't you live in CO?

I guess from afar the pile of shite looks quite like a majestic mountain...

Actually, I base my opinion on the Florida residents, including my relatives, who love their outgoing governor.

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061030/LOCAL/210300319/1078/news

Bush ends term with high marks
St. Petersburg Times
October 30. 2006 6:01AM

His older brother's approval ratings may be abysmal, but a new poll shows Florida Gov. Jeb Bush likely will leave office in January as popular as ever.

In the St. Petersburg Times poll, voters were asked to rate the two-term Republican governor's performance by assigning a letter grade.

Fifty-six percent of likely Florida voters gave him an A or B.

Another 23 percent gave him an average or C grade, and 10 percent a D. Only 7 percent failed him by assigning an F.

"Florida really is the tale of two Bushes," said pollster Kellyanne Conway. Voters have "high, deep gratitude and praise for Jeb Bush."

The results come from a statewide telephone survey of 800 voters conducted Oct. 22-25 for the Times by Conway's Republican firm, the Polling Company, and a Democratic firm, Schroth/Eldon & Associates. The margin of error is 3.5 percentage points.

"The fact that 65 percent of Democrats give him an A, B or C is remarkable in modern politics."

Hialeah Republican Gloria Evans, 73, awards the governor an A: "I think he's sincere. He has integrity. Anything he's done has been for the good of Florida."

He'll be one of our great Presidents.

emeraldcite
11-08-2006, 08:29 AM
He'll be one of our great Presidents.

i'll say that he'll be a far cry more competent than his brother...

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 08:30 AM
i'll say that he'll be a far cry more competent than his brother...

I think that's a fair statement.

Thereby making him one of the great Presidents ever. Hands down.

Bartholomew
11-08-2006, 08:35 AM
I think that's a fair statement.

Thereby making him one of the great Presidents ever. Hands down.

You clearly drop too much acid, my friend.

aghast
11-08-2006, 08:36 AM
or snorted a few lines of coke with george boy, but youre right jeb is better than his older bro, but only slightly

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 08:38 AM
or snorted a few lines of coke with george boy, but youre right jeb is better than his older bro, but only slightly

Apparently the actual residents of Florida disagree.

I trust them on this issue.

Feel free to disagree with THEIR assesment. Not mine.

Another....

The governor is leaving office with an approval rating that has regularly been in the mid to upper 50s. Even with a conservative agenda, he won over independents and some Democrats by showing strong leadership, particular during times of crisis.

After the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, he quickly responded to make sure Florida's economy didn't take a hit as people were less inclined to travel. And he was seen as a reassuring leader as Florida faced eight hurricanes in two years.

I guess approval ratings only matter when it's your guy with a good one or the other guy with a bad one, huh?

emeraldcite
11-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Apparently the actual residents of Florida disagree.

I know, being a resident of the state of Florida, that he's balked at a few of the amendments passed by the people, specifically the classroom size amendment. He tried his damnedest to get that revoked.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 08:53 AM
I know, being a resident of the state of Florida, that he's balked at a few of the amendments passed by the people, specifically the classroom size amendment. He tried his damnedest to get that revoked.

I didn't say he had 100% approval.

Obviously, important issues to you were opposed by him.

That doesn't change the fact that he's leaving office as one of the most popular Florida governors of all time.

I'm sorry?

I don't know what to say.

:Shrug:

Southern_girl29
11-08-2006, 09:01 AM
I didn't know Jeb Bush was retiring in Florida.

:(

What's he gonna do now?

;)

Please don't make me sick. I'm feeling nausea just thinking about it.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Please don't make me sick. I'm feeling nausea just thinking about it.

It's a foregone conclusion.

Vote Jeb Bush in either 2012 or 2016.

Buckle up.

Southern_girl29
11-08-2006, 09:22 AM
It's a foregone conclusion.

Vote Jeb Bush in either 2012 or 2016.

Buckle up.

I'm hoping Barack Obama will be running against him and will win. In fact, I'm counting on it.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm hoping Barack Obama will be running against him and will win. In fact, I'm counting on it.

I find it hilarious that Democrats just vote for people with name recognition and "stars" like Hillary regardless of record or accomplishments.

Obama has been in the Senate for less than two years. Virtually no record of accomplishment to speak of whatsoever...but for some reason...

"Obama is my man!"

I wonder why.

I suggest you wait and see how he performs as a Senator before saying "in 2012 or 2016,( lol), I'm voting for him."

emeraldcite
11-08-2006, 09:32 AM
I find it hilarious that Democrats just vote for people with name recognition and "stars" like Hillary regardless of record or accomplishments.

Obama has been in the Senate for less than two years. Virtually no record of accomplishment to speak of whatsoever...but for some reason...

"Obama is my man!"

I wonder why.

Well, by 2008, Obama will have about as much experience in gov't as W did when he was appointed in 2001.

ETA: The biggest difference bewteen Obama and W is that Obama is actually smart...

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Well, by 2008, Obama will have about as much experience in gov't as W did when he was appointed in 2001.

ETA: The biggest difference bewteen Obama and W is that Obama is actually smart...

4 years as a Senator pales in comparison to 6 years as a Governor of a huge state like Texas. Not even close. Obama is nowhere near ready in 2008. Maybe in 2012 or 2016. But regardless of charisma, you might want to do how he performs. But that's just me. I don't vote for people soley on charisma.

P.S. Get over the 2000 election at some point. For your health. I'm just looking out for ya.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 09:37 AM

Oooh, another stinger.

:roll:

Where you coming up with these?

"Appointed" and "Bush is dumb."

Good stuff. Very fresh.

Southern_girl29
11-08-2006, 09:38 AM

"Obama is my man!"

I wonder why.

I suggest you wait and see how he performs as a Senator before saying "in 2012 or 2016,( lol), I'm voting for him."

I don't vote for a name. I have my doubts whether I would vote for Hillary or not. I like Obama's stance on many issues, including veteran's rights (disability, medical care, etc.), the fact that he opposes the truly awful Medicare Part D prescription plan, the fact that he wants to increase funding for Head Start and other early education programs, his HOPE Act and more.

I read up on candidates I vote for and see where they stand on issues. He may not have a record yet, but I believe he will by the time he chooses to run for president, and I believe it will fully support the opinion I've formed from the reading I've done.

emeraldcite
11-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Oooh, another stinger.

:roll:

Where you coming up with these?

"Appointed" and "Bush is dumb."

Good stuff. Very fresh.

I'm pulling all the stops out for you, baby... ;)

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 09:41 AM
I don't vote for a name. I have my doubts whether I would vote for Hillary or not. I like Obama's stance on many issues, including veteran's rights (disability, medical care, etc.), the fact that he opposes the truly awful Medicare Part D prescription plan, the fact that he wants to increase funding for Head Start and other early education programs, his HOPE Act and more.

I read up on candidates I vote for and see where they stand on issues. He may not have a record yet, but I believe he will by the time he chooses to run for president, and I believe it will fully support the opinion I've formed from the reading I've done.

I hear ya.

I'm just saying wait to see how he performs and what his voting record is before saying I'm voting for him in 2012 or 2016.

He's a top prospect, no doubt. I like him too.

But he's in AA ball. Let's see how he does in AAA and his rookie year in the majors before we start making Hall of Fame arrangements.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 09:41 AM
I'm pulling all the stops out for you, baby... ;)

lol..got any choking on a pretzel jokes you want to spring on me while you're on such a roll?
;)

emeraldcite
11-08-2006, 09:49 AM
lol..got any choking on a pretzel jokes you want to spring on me while you're on such a roll?
;)

Man, that was next on my list...

SeanDSchaffer
11-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Get out and vote today, folks, if you haven't already. Vote your conscience, vote your beliefs, vote any which way you choose...but exercise your right to make your voice count.

Done. Mailed in my ballot a couple weeks ago.

robeiae
11-08-2006, 04:11 PM
I know, being a resident of the state of Florida, that he's balked at a few of the amendments passed by the people, specifically the classroom size amendment. He tried his damnedest to get that revoked.One of the dumbest Amendments ever written...though we had a few more doozies this year.

But Jeb did okay in my book. Hell, I don't vote for him either time.

robeiae
11-08-2006, 04:13 PM
There's a generation of new voters who grew up in a school system continually screwed over by Jeb.I saw Jeb at a school just yesterday, kicking children and knocking the books out of their hands.

You want to blame someone for problems in Florida schools, start with the people actually running them, like school boards and administrators.

MattW
11-08-2006, 04:19 PM
I've got a purple finger!

TheGaffer
11-08-2006, 07:11 PM

Sure. Like George W. One-and-a-half terms as a governor in Texas. If he's not H.W.'s kid, he doesn't come close. All sides do this, Thrilly. Not just one. (Although I'm generally in agreement that I'd rather see Obama in 2012.)

Jeb is done, btw. He's got no shot at a nomination. His older brother ruined it for him.

dclary
11-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Sure. Like George W. One-and-a-half terms as a governor in Texas. If he's not H.W.'s kid, he doesn't come close. All sides do this, Thrilly. Not just one. (Although I'm generally in agreement that I'd rather see Obama in 2012.)

Jeb is done, btw. He's got no shot at a nomination. His older brother ruined it for him.

I don't know, Gaffer. Jeb could be the baby bear in the Goldilocks Bush scenario.

"Hi, I'm Jeb Bush. Maybe you've heard of me? My poppa was a president once. Great on foreign policy, not so smart domestically. My little brother is G.W. Well, y'all know about him.

"Me? I led our state not through one, but four devastating hurricanes in a single year once. I've had to deal with election fraud, illegal immigrants, drug crime, and helping deal with both education and taking care of my state's senior citizens.

"I've seen what being a good president can do, and what being a bad president can do, and that's just at the dinner table.

"America's not in a good place right now. There's a lot of stuff we need to do make her better. I'd really appreciate your vote. I'm Jeb Bush, and I approve this message."

TheGaffer
11-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Maybe, clary. It's possible. And as much as I see Jeb as a party hack, he's at least responsible, intelligent and a hard-worker, like his father was. But honestly, I see enough people saying "forget it. not another Bush presidency."

robeiae
11-08-2006, 08:18 PM
And as much as I see Jeb as a party hack, he's at least responsible, intelligent and a hard-worker, like his father was. But honestly, I see enough people saying "forget it. not another Bush presidency."I hope Jeb never runs for the presidency. And I hope Hilary never does.

But as far as Jeb goes, I liken him to Clinton. I never voted for either one, and think both are politicians, first, second, and always.

That said, I think both were quite effective as leaders, though I disagreed with many specific decisions/policies both made or tried to implement.

robeiae
11-08-2006, 08:24 PM
On the whole, I had a fantastic school system, one of the best in the state, with awesome teachers. They didn't like Jeb either.What can I say? The schools my children are attending (public ones) are managing quite well and have improved their facilities and performance in the last five years. Yet, I don't trust the school board members one bit; contractors still gouge the system and I know people in low places are getting rich of off tax dollars meant for the schools. That hasn't changed, but it hasn't gotten any worse, to my knowledge. Of course, it's hardly the province of the Governor to oversee the everyday details of running every school in the state. That's what the school board is for...

As far as who teachers like and don't like, whatever. There are good teachers and bad teachers, but they're not really privy to the behind-the-scenes stuff, by and large. So their political opinions don't register as any more significant to me than yours or mine.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Maybe, clary. It's possible. And as much as I see Jeb as a party hack, he's at least responsible, intelligent and a hard-worker, like his father was. But honestly, I see enough people saying "forget it. not another Bush presidency."

That's what everyone was saying about another Clinton Presidency, including democrats. People become weary and say "nooooo." Gore distanced himself from Clinton. Democrats had even had enough.

And then time does it's trick and heals the wounds and people forget the bad and only think about the good.

Like when you break up with a chick and are feeling lonely.

"I made a mistake. I should have broken up with her. We should have gotten married."

"Dude, you fought with this chick every single day!!"

"Did we?!"

"Yes!!"

Time makes you forget.

Jeb Bush will be a Republican nominee one day.

He might just be the guy who shakes my hand right after I take the oath.

We'll see.

Thank you.

TheGaffer
11-08-2006, 10:51 PM
That's what everyone was saying about another Clinton Presidency, including democrats. People become weary and say "nooooo." Gore distanced himself from Clinton. Democrats had even had enough.

Well, only three vice-presidents have ever gotten elected immediately after serving as Veep. The last one was George HW Bush. And Gore still isn't named Clinton. Maybe that matters. Maybe that doesn't.

But I think the Bushes are officially done for a generation.

dclary
11-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Well, only three vice-presidents have ever gotten elected immediately after serving as Veep. The last one was George HW Bush. And Gore still isn't named Clinton. Maybe that matters. Maybe that doesn't.

That's what they said after the last one! ;)

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 11:00 PM

We'll see. I know you're worried about George P. Bush.

I'd be worried too.

He could go all the way. I'll probably have to go up against him at some point.

http://www.austinecc.org/springfundraiser/past/2004/bush/images/georgepbush.jpg

dclary
11-08-2006, 11:15 PM
I would vote for Jenna. She's hot.

Maybe when lclary dies of natural causes, I'll marry Jenna to increase my political capital. Pull an Arnold.

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 11:17 PM
I would vote for Jenna. She's hot.

Maybe when lclary dies of natural causes, I'll marry Jenna to increase my political capital. Pull an Arnold.

I'll take the skinny one then.

We'll double marry.

dclary
11-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Speaking of double dating. I'm flying to Denver this weekend. You wanna meet somewhere for an adult beverage?

billythrilly7th
11-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Speaking of double dating. I'm flying to Denver this weekend. You wanna meet somewhere for an adult beverage?

I'm not ready.

When I move back to Los Angeles, we shall reunite and discuss our experiences at Witch Mountain and cry and hug and figure out how we're gonna get back home.

P.S. And eat chicken wings and drink some adult beverages.

That's a promise. I look forward to it.

dclary
11-08-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm not ready.

When I move back to Los Angeles, we shall reunite and discuss our experiences at Witch Mountain and cry and hug and figure out how we're gonna get back home.

P.S. And eat chicken wings and drink some adult beverages.

That's a promise. I look forward to it.]

No worries. We'l be eating at CiCi's all-you-can-eat pizza and cinnamon-roll-pizza-dessert-stuff on Saturday. Gimme a holla if you change your mind.

TheGaffer
11-09-2006, 12:12 AM
(backing slowly away from this conversation)

dclary
11-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Gaffer, wanna come to Denver this weekend?

TheGaffer
11-09-2006, 12:14 AM
I hear it's nice. I've never been. Someday, I hope.

dclary
11-09-2006, 12:18 AM
Denver's not that bad. A few issues with it:

Their airport looks like a circus tent.

You're supposedly a mile up, in the middle of the Rocky Mountains... and yet you have to drive almost two hours to get to a mountain.

Their hotel staff are litigious. Don't have sex with them.

billythrilly7th
11-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Denver's not that bad. A few issues with it:

Their airport looks like a circus tent.

:ROFL:

dclary
11-09-2006, 01:08 AM
It's true!

Circus tent:

http://www.lambertville-music-circus.org/tent/photos/BeaconPhotoOldTent.jpg

Denver airport:

http://www.ce.ntu.edu.tw/photo/spatial/spa4bThe%20Denver%20International%20Airport,%20Den ver.jpg

billythrilly7th
11-09-2006, 01:12 AM
lol...Oh, I know.

I actually always feel like I'm driving up to some ritzy Puff Daddy Hampton party or something and there's going to be a huge buffet waiting for me.

Sadly, it's just long security lines and national guardsman.

Thanks, Bin Laden for ruining my buffet!!