PDA

View Full Version : put "Delta Airlines" in a novel?

Dario D.
10-14-2006, 10:52 AM
I was just wondering if you can mention "Delta Airlines" in a novel, without getting rights or whatever. Thanks. :)

aadams73
10-14-2006, 02:45 PM
You're fine, as long as you don't say anything negative.

Amadeus
10-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Allthough I would pop them an e-mail or a call just to be sure. It isn't hard or anything, and you can be totally sure.

Linda Adams
10-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Why not make up one or be generic? With all businesses getting merged together or going out business, you could use a company name and end up with one that no longer exists.

James D. Macdonald
10-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Folks mention trade names all the time.

They'll want you to capitalize the name. They might get a bit touchy if you say all their pilots fly drunk. Otherwise, just go for it.

(Note: Like anything else in writing, you can overdo tradenames. You can have your hero, Charlie, start his day with a cup of Maxwell House coffeeand a glass of Tropicana orange juice. But unless it's important, wouldn't orange juice and coffee do?

Dario D.
10-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks all. Since I wasn't sure at first, I ended up just saying, "United", without actually specifying "United Airlines." Works well enough. :)

I rarely use actual brand names of things in my writing, but sometimes, like when a character is at the airport, you just have to use a company or product name that helps makes the scene work.

Jamesaritchie
10-14-2006, 04:12 PM
It would be a strange fictional world that didn't have real airlines. As UJ says, too many brand names too often reads poorly, but no brand names at all in the current world reads just as poorly. Real people do not fly on generic airlines, or on made up airlines.

There's a time and a place for made up names, but there's also a real time and place for brand names, or no one is going to believe the world your story exists in.

Dario D.
10-14-2006, 04:16 PM
It would be a strange fictional world that didn't have real airlines. As UJ says, too many brand names too often reads poorly, but no brand names at all in the current world reads just as poorly. Real people do not fly on generic airlines, or on made up airlines.

There's a time and a place for made up names, but there's also a real time and place for brand names, or no one is going to believe the world your story exists in.Yeah... It guess it kind of depends on what you're trying to portray (the future could have any name), but since I'm trying to portray the real world, I settled on United, which is how people usually refer to United Airlines when they're at the airport... except that if they took me to court for any reason whatsoever, I could say, "The character is referring to an airline called United Crabsteaks," or, "just United."

aruna
10-14-2006, 04:17 PM
In fact, quite a lot of fiction actually depends on brands. Remember that novel Faye Weldon write. comissioned by a jewelery company, just to get their name ouy. And then there's The Devil Wears Prada. WHat a great advertisement!

I have my MC driving through a vilage in Guyana in which every house has a CocaCola sign stuck to it. Some made-up soda pop name just wouldn;t do the trick.

Bartholomew
10-14-2006, 05:38 PM
In fact, quite a lot of fiction actually depends on brands. Remember that novel Faye Weldon write. comissioned by a jewelery company, just to get their name ouy. And then there's The Devil Wears Prada. WHat a great advertisement!

I have my MC driving through a vilage in Guyana in which every house has a CocaCola sign stuck to it. Some made-up soda pop name just wouldn;t do the trick.

PopaCola. :D

maestrowork
10-14-2006, 06:38 PM
I use brand names and real companies all the time. No problem. Now if you say they crash all their planes or all their flight attendants are ugly b!tches or something and your book becomes very successful, you may hear from them. Otherwise, it's A-OK.

I agree with Uncle Jim. Sometimes I see too much product placement it's nauseating. Use brands or trademarks if they really add to the scene or characterization.

ted_curtis
10-14-2006, 11:26 PM
I agree with Uncle Jim. Sometimes I see too much product placement it's nauseating. Use brands or trademarks if they really add to the scene or characterization.

Another thing to be careful of is assuming that your readers will make the same associations you do with a brand name, especially if you're doing it to suggest something about the character.

Sort of like the driver's ed videos I watched in school where all the good guys drove Fords and the bad guys Chevys.

Provrb1810meggy
10-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Yep, you should be fine. I'm having my characters stop at McDonalds.

PattiTheWicked
10-15-2006, 12:33 AM
My MC smokes Marlboro Lights, and keeps a secret stash of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in her suitcase.

PeeDee
10-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Generally, I find that I don't have to mention actual names very often. What I try to do is emulate real life where, even if I'm drinking Teavana tea and my wife is drinking Folger's Deluxe French Cafe Mix coffee....odds are, if someone asks, I'm just going to say "cups of tea and coffee."

I never tell anyone that I"m flying Delte Airlines to see my relatives. I'm just taking a plane.

Then again, there are exceptions. I would probably refer to Greyhound as "the Greyhound," for example. And of course, there's your Kleenex and Band-Aids... :)

DeadlyAccurate
10-15-2006, 02:09 AM
I don't like books that seem like they have nothing but product placement, but again, I would be weirded out by a book that had their characters stopping for a bite to eat at Wendy McKing's, unless some reference was made to that chain's fights with the three corporations for trademark infringement (or similar statement).

Carrie in PA
10-15-2006, 04:34 AM
I don't like books that seem like they have nothing but product placement, but again, I would be weirded out by a book that had their characters stopping for a bite to eat at Wendy McKing's, unless some reference was made to that chain's fights with the three corporations for trademark infringement (or similar statement).

Oooh, Wendy McKing's has awesome fries! :D

maestrowork
10-15-2006, 04:36 AM
Their Big Wen is the best.

PeeDee
10-15-2006, 04:37 AM
I don't know. You can't beat the Royale With Cheese that they make.

They do multi-cultural food too, like Cream of Sumyungguy. That's tasty.

Carrie in PA
10-15-2006, 04:38 AM
Their Big Wen is the best.

Have you tried their chicKing sandwich? Fabulous!

Carrie in PA
10-15-2006, 04:39 AM
I don't know. You can't beat the Royale With Cheese that they make.

They do multi-cultural food too, like Cream of Sumyungguy. That's tasty.

Collected fresh on the premises, eh?

PeeDee
10-15-2006, 04:45 AM
Whatever's left at the end of the night, they just throw into the shake machines for the next day.

Carrie in PA
10-15-2006, 04:47 AM
Whatever's left at the end of the night, they just throw into the shake machines for the next day.

:roll: :roll:

Ok, this has crossed into disturbing. :roll:

PeeDee
10-15-2006, 04:50 AM
It could be worse.

I could mention that their Krabby Patty gets its crabs from the same source as the Sumyungguy....... :D

(i'll be good....)

Carrie in PA
10-15-2006, 04:53 AM
It could be worse.

I could mention that their Krabby Patty gets its crabs from the same source as the Sumyungguy....... :D

(i'll be good....)

:e2thud: OMG!! You are a bad, bad, bad, bad man!!

PeeDee
10-15-2006, 05:01 AM
I tried to resist. I really fought it.

It was just too good. :D

Carrie in PA
10-15-2006, 05:02 AM
I tried to resist. I really fought it.

It was just too good. :D

You should get a medal for your heroism, even though you failed. Or maybe a Spiderman sticker. :D

Tracy
10-15-2006, 04:09 PM
This thread has gone a little off topic methinks!!

I used the name of a top class hotel in my recent novel, getting their permission first. When it's published I'm going to send them a copy of the novel (or tell them it's out, haven't quite decided), and hope they'll treat me to a night or two! (Also hope they never read this!!)

Shallow? Unethical? Manipulative? <Sigh> Perhaps. But there has to be SOME perks to this job!